Author Topic: Darwin Núñez (Darwin Gabriel Núñez Ribeiro)  (Read 1065845 times)

Offline Cpt_Reina

• Vibranium goalie gloves.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
Re: Darwin Núñez (Darwin Gabriel Núñez Ribeiro)
« Reply #14480 on: April 18, 2024, 02:48:15 pm »
So let’s throw it out …. I mean we’ve got 7000 league minutes on Darwin over the last 4 seasons where his numbers are consistently elite but it might be a bad measure and/or have not matured fully as a data set so let’s bin it

Now we’ve binned xa … how would you like to evaluate and judge Darwin’s performance level?

I never said throw it out. There's no need to lash out at me or put words in my mouth.

But I (personally) wouldn't put as much faith in his benfica numbers, different league, different opposition, different tactical set up, different footballing culture you know environmental factors that apparently don't exist, if I was looking to assess his value to a PL team. I'd like to focus on more translatable data, ideally.

I don't know how that affects any analysis if you just go on his Liverpool numbers. Maybe we need 2 more seasons of wait and see until we're comfortable with that.

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #14481 on: April 18, 2024, 02:49:58 pm »
Agreed.

But again idk maybe I place too much importance on such things, and maybe the sample again would to be too small, but playing for months as an attacking player without Trent, Robbo and Salah available alongside you would have a significant effect on production.

Someone like Gakpo or Diaz having to play through that period, where someone like Jota sits it out and gets his minutes in before and after they return that's enough to place some doubt regarding even a seasons worth of data.

So what's the ideal sample size to remove that variance? 3 seasons? 6000mins? Football is an inherently small sample sport for a lot of if not most of its highest value actions so the time needed for sample size to get to where it needs to be isn't short. Seems like a fairly slow to market way to adequately assess someone if the data set needs so long to mature.
They still get to play with good-great players though. It's not like we replace them with below league average quality. Without Robertson, Trent and Salah we scored 4 against Bournemouth, Luton and Chelsea (small sample size says get rid of them) we have lots of very good players and Nunez is one of them. I think a seasons worth gives you some confidence, you can assign parameters around that (say in your example Diaz is really low one season you can look at why, or are they a kid, or the team rubbish in general) but you can compare to seasons worth to see his overall quality. With Nunez I think there's enough historical (past seasons) to go with this season that you don't really need to break it all down. If it was the first time it jumped up then yeah, be a bit quizzical about it
« Last Edit: April 18, 2024, 02:53:08 pm by Chris~ »

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #14482 on: April 18, 2024, 02:58:07 pm »
I never said throw it out. There's no need to lash out at me or put words in my mouth.

But I (personally) wouldn't put as much faith in his benfica numbers, different league, different opposition, different tactical set up, different footballing culture you know environmental factors that apparently don't exist, if I was looking to assess his value to a PL team. I'd like to focus on more translatable data, ideally.

I don't know how that affects any analysis if you just go on his Liverpool numbers. Maybe we need 2 more seasons of wait and see until we're comfortable with that.

We’ve got 4k + minutes for lfc all comps.. 3500 league minutes  .. it’s more than enough to evaluate a player with a high confidence interval especially when it corroborates rather than deviates from his previous club performance

So we’ve got enough minutes how would you like to use them to evaluate him
Not xa … so what ?
« Last Edit: April 18, 2024, 03:00:13 pm by JackWard33 »

Offline Cpt_Reina

• Vibranium goalie gloves.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #14483 on: April 18, 2024, 03:05:26 pm »
We’ve got 4k + minutes for lfc all comps.. 3500 league minutes  .. it’s more than enough to evaluate a player with a high confidence interval especially when it corroborates rather than deviates from his previous club performance

Not xa … so what ?

I know you don't like hearing my opinion that not all minutes are created equal. So I don't expect we'll find common ground here when I say that the Europa league, league cup and fa cup minutes are of less value to me for much the same reasons as the benfica minutes.

Not worthless data, but less valuable data. As always I'm just here for the strongest most robust representation we can get. League minutes, champions league minutes. These are what I value in terms of analysis. The others are noise.

Do we still have enough minutes?

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #14484 on: April 18, 2024, 03:08:56 pm »

Not xa … so what ?

My question would be why you and others are using one side of the data (xG / xA) to assert that there is enough of a sample size to be certain about something, while wilfully ignoring or disregarding the other side of the data (xG conversion) to be certain that it will turn around through better luck and variance.

That's the part that doesn't make sense to me.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14485 on: April 18, 2024, 03:10:54 pm »
I know you don't like hearing my opinion that not all minutes are created equal. So I don't expect we'll find common ground here when I say that the Europa league, league cup and fa cup minutes are of less value to me for much the same reasons as the benfica minutes.

Not worthless data, but less valuable data. As always I'm just here for the strongest most robust representation we can get. League minutes, champions league minutes. These are what I value in terms of analysis. The others are noise.

Do we still have enough minutes?

Yes .. 4000 of those minutes
How do you want to use them to evaluate him? Goals scored?

Online mullyred94

• Legacy Fan
  • Darwin Nunez's lovechild
« Reply #14486 on: April 18, 2024, 03:11:22 pm »
Do assists matter yet?

Offline Mr Dilkington

• would rather be too cold than too hot
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never buy the Sun
    • www.level3football.com
« Reply #14487 on: April 18, 2024, 03:11:46 pm »
My question would be why you and others are using one side of the data (xG / xA) to assert that there is enough of a sample size to be certain about something, while wilfully ignoring or disregarding the other side of the data (xG conversion) to be certain that it will turn around through better luck and variance.

That's the part that doesn't make sense to me.
In 17k minutes across his entire career he is on 0.60 goals from 0.57xG. Basically an average finisher so far.
You change all the lead, sleeping in my head, as the day grows dim, I hear you sing a golden hymn.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14488 on: April 18, 2024, 03:14:02 pm »
In 17k minutes across his entire career he is on 0.60 goals from 0.57xG. Basically an average finisher so far.

For Liverpool, he's 12.66 goals under what he should be in the Premier League. We've just heard that 3500 minutes is enough of a sample size to be sure about something, so I think that tells us he's considerably below average at finishing.

Offline Mr Dilkington

• Legacy Fan
  • Never buy the Sun
    • www.level3football.com
« Reply #14489 on: April 18, 2024, 03:16:22 pm »
For Liverpool, he's 12.66 goals under what he should be in the Premier League. We've just heard that 3500 minutes is enough of a sample size to be sure about something, so I think that tells us he's considerably below average at finishing.
No it doesn't. That's completely ridiculous.

Finishing is by nature noisy and subject to variance whereas underlying performance level is much more stable.

I.e. Lewandowski can put up 0.85xG one season and score 1.10 goals, then the next season put up 0.85xG and score 0.60 goals.

Whereas we wouldn't see Lewandowski putting up 0.85xG one season and then 0.5xG the season after.
You change all the lead, sleeping in my head, as the day grows dim, I hear you sing a golden hymn.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14490 on: April 18, 2024, 03:17:08 pm »
No it doesn't. That's completely ridiculous.

Finishing is by nature noisy and subject to variance whereas underlying performance level is much more stable.

I.e. Lewandowski can put up 0.85xG one season and score 1.10 goals, then the next season put up 0.85xG and score 0.60 goals.

Whereas we wouldn't see Lewandowski putting up 0.85xG one season and then 0.5xG the season after.

Do you seriously expect Nunez to outperform his xG to those levels?

If using data that tells us he should have 12 more goals than he has scored to conclude that he is below average at finishing is completely ridiculous, then I don't see the point of using this data whatsoever.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2024, 03:19:11 pm by LallanaInPyjamas »

Online mullyred94

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14491 on: April 18, 2024, 03:17:39 pm »

Yet two seasons prior in UCL he out basically perfomed his XG didnt he?

I mean last season he scored 4 goals out of a xg of 5 - I would say thats fine would you?

Prior season at Benfica he scored 6 goals out of an xg of 3. - Doubled his XG expectation ?

This season in Europa 5 goals from a XG of 6.

Or am I reading the stats wrong?

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14492 on: April 18, 2024, 03:18:57 pm »
As an aside I don’t know where 12.66 goals is from but it’s way off… fbref has reliable numbers

Online mullyred94

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14493 on: April 18, 2024, 03:19:22 pm »
As an aside I don’t know where 12.66 goals is from but it’s way off… fbref has reliable numbers

Which is were I got his european stats from.
This season in the league

11 from 15 XG

11 from 14.2 NPXG

Offline Mr Dilkington

• Legacy Fan
  • Never buy the Sun
    • www.level3football.com
« Reply #14494 on: April 18, 2024, 03:19:26 pm »
Do you seriously expect Nunez to outperform his xG to those levels?
He literally did it at Benfica two years ago!

Honestly you're boxing yourself into a really dumb corner with this.

How many minutes do you think you need to be sure someone is a good or bad finisher?

Online mullyred94

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14495 on: April 18, 2024, 03:20:45 pm »

How many minutes do you think you need to be sure someone is a good or bad finisher?

I literally just posted his european stats for them

Offline Redley

• Legacy Fan
  • Turned doubters to believers
« Reply #14496 on: April 18, 2024, 03:21:04 pm »

Where on earth are you getting those stats? :D

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14497 on: April 18, 2024, 03:21:20 pm »

A noisy, variant outlier?

And I would say more than 3500 minutes personally, but hey we just heard from a numbers guy that 3500 minutes is enough to be certain about something. So if we use that logic, we can be certain that Darwin is a bad finisher.

Online mullyred94

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14498 on: April 18, 2024, 03:21:36 pm »
Just incase anyone didn't know his stats are free ....

https://fbref.com/en/players/4d77b365/Darwin-Nunez

Online mullyred94

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14499 on: April 18, 2024, 03:22:09 pm »

And I would say more than 3500 minutes personally, but hey we just heard from a numbers guy that 3500 minutes is enough to be certain about something. So if we use that logic, we can be certain that Darwin is a bad finisher.

Not by his UCL and Europa league stats his basically bang on isnt he?

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14500 on: April 18, 2024, 03:22:35 pm »
Where on earth are you getting those stats? :D

Understat. So fbref is putting him 7-8 below from what I can see? Quite different but still not even average is it.

Online mullyred94

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14501 on: April 18, 2024, 03:23:35 pm »
Understat. So fbref is putting him 7-8 below from what I can see? Quite different but still not even average is it.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14502 on: April 18, 2024, 03:25:35 pm »

If these numbers can be trusted so heavily, how can they differ so greatly? Models shouldn't be that far apart if it's something we can use with such confidence to judge a player?

Offline Mr Dilkington

• Legacy Fan
  • Never buy the Sun
    • www.level3football.com
« Reply #14503 on: April 18, 2024, 03:26:09 pm »

You're better than this.

Basically what you are saying is this: Darwin Nunez is a bad finisher because in 3.5k minutes at Liverpool he is under his xG.

Response: but across his whole career he is basically on par for xG to goals, in fact slightly above and just two years ago at Benfica he massively outperformed his xG.

Yes but this is just a noisy, variant outlier. Which is why to determine the quality of his finishing I am using a 20% sample of his entire career and ignoring the other 80%.

Surely when you step back you can see the absurdity of what you're saying?

Online mullyred94

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14504 on: April 18, 2024, 03:27:08 pm »
If these numbers can be trusted so heavily, how can they differ so greatly? Models shouldn't be that far apart if it's something we can use with such confidence to judge a player?

Well I'm fairly sure if you look at the video the EPL posted with the XG from Jota, Salah etc misses against Palace you'll see that they match up?

Happy to be told I'm wrong if I am remembering wrong.

EDIT: Fairly sure Jotas chance on the EPL IG account was .45 or .47 ? ( Open goal basically )

FBref has it as a .5 XG from that game for Jota.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2024, 03:29:04 pm by mullyred94 »

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14505 on: April 18, 2024, 03:27:48 pm »
You're better than this.

Basically what you are saying is this: Darwin Nunez is a bad finisher because in 3.5k minutes at Liverpool he is under his xG.

Response: but across his whole career he is basically on par for xG to goals, in fact slightly above and just two years ago at Benfica he massively outperformed his xG.

Yes but this is just a noisy, variant outlier. Which is why to determine the quality of his finishing I am using a 20% sample of his entire career and ignoring the other 80%.

Surely when you step back you can see the absurdity of what you're saying?

I'm being deliberately obtuse by using another poster's logic to point out the one-sidedness of this debate, and how you and others are using numbers. You are using the positive side of predictive / theoretical stats to be certain about something, while disregarding the actual stats to reinforce that certainty.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14506 on: April 18, 2024, 03:29:11 pm »

26.3 npxg ... 20 goals

Yes he's underperformed his expected goals in the league for us.. but we already knew that - that's the point of the whole debate

The reason conversion and xg are different measures is that chance conversion is highly volatile and not predictive in a useful time period (ie a player can have a high conversion % one year and a low one the next ...as illustrated by our long haired striking god currently being discussed) where as xg is much more stable
They're just two different measures. When you say why is one data point reliable and one isn't it's like asking why is a radar forecast for the next 2 hours more reliable compared to a 30 day forecast - they're differenent measures with different levels of predictive ability

Offline Mr Dilkington

• Legacy Fan
  • Never buy the Sun
    • www.level3football.com
« Reply #14507 on: April 18, 2024, 03:30:21 pm »
I'm being deliberately obtuse by using another poster's logic to point out the one-sidedness of this debate, and how you and others are using numbers. You are using the positive side of predictive / theoretical stats to be certain about something, while disregarding the actual stats to reinforce that certainty.
So you don't accept what I said about finishing skill relative to underlying performance? I.e. finishing is noisy and by nature prone to high variance, whereas underlying performance is more stable.

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14508 on: April 18, 2024, 03:30:31 pm »
So let’s throw it out …. I mean we’ve got 7000 league minutes on Darwin over the last 4 seasons where his numbers are consistent but it might be a bad measure and/or have not matured fully as a data set so let’s bin it

Now we’ve binned xa … how would you like to evaluate and judge Darwin’s performance level?
But they AREN'T consistent - they fluctuate wildly. That's the problem! He's had one season where he massively outperformed his xG but he's been significantly below in the other three of the past four seasons. That info is on the FBef page! Neither you or Dilkington seem willing to acknowledge this.

Offline Mr Dilkington

• Legacy Fan
  • Never buy the Sun
    • www.level3football.com
« Reply #14509 on: April 18, 2024, 03:31:55 pm »
But they AREN'T consistent - they fluctuate wildly. That's the problem! He's had one season where he massively outperformed his xG but he's been significantly below in the other three of the past four seasons. That info is on the FBef page! Neither you or Dilkington seem willing to acknowledge this.
And yet still basically exactly xG to goals across his career.

Online mullyred94

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14510 on: April 18, 2024, 03:32:03 pm »

significantly below is a stretch his 4 below in the EPL by fbref?

Stats stay the same but I guess we interpret them differently

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14511 on: April 18, 2024, 03:33:41 pm »
So you don't accept what I said about finishing skill relative to underlying performance? I.e. finishing is noisy and by nature prone to high variance, whereas underlying performance is more stable.

Sure, I can agree that finishing is more variant than underlying performance. But I don't think it's as variant as you are making out for high-class finishers. Of course you will find one bad season of finishing for players like Lewandowski and Messi, especially towards the latter stages of their career in lesser functioning teams.

If you take Darwin as an example, he has underperformed in every season except one. Therefore that overperformance becomes the outlier until proven otherwise. Him taking lots of shots = he will score lots of goals. We agree there. Where we don't agree is this "reversion to the mean" bollocks. Footballers aren't robots, and they're not controlled like casino games. Their skills matter.

Like I said, the absurdity of all of this is that very overperformance led the stat guys on here to question his signing. Yet now he is consistently underperforming, they are in his corner while slating Jota for being on a hot streak. There is some very skewed logic going on here - it comes across as smartarsery.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2024, 03:35:47 pm by LallanaInPyjamas »

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14512 on: April 18, 2024, 03:33:59 pm »

Yes.. finishing fluctuates wildly... now we're getting somewhere

Xg accumulation does not

Online mullyred94

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14513 on: April 18, 2024, 03:35:44 pm »
Sure, I can agree that finishing is more variant than underlying performance. But I don't think it's as variant as you are making out for high-class finishers. Of course you will find one bad season of finishing for players like Lewandowski and Messi, especially towards the latter stages of their career in lesser functioning teams.

If you take Darwin as an example, he has underperformed in every season except one. Therefore that overperformance becomes the outlier until proven otherwise.

Like I said, the absurdity of all of this is that very overperformance led the stat guys on here to question his signing. Yet now he is consistently underperforming, they are in his corner while slating Jota for being on a hot streak. There is some very skewed logic going on here - it comes across as smartarsery.

Whos slating Jota?

Only point re Jota I've seen is that he went 32 games without scoring yet most people would say his a good finisher right?

EDIT - Infact Jota has been the best finisher for Liverpool since Klopp took over IMO.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2024, 03:39:46 pm by mullyred94 »

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14514 on: April 18, 2024, 03:36:00 pm »

You're so so close to getting it.. it's like its on the edge of your consciousness

Also no ones slating anyone for being on a hot or cold streak... that bit was weird.. dont know a single 'data' driven guy that doesn't love Jota
« Last Edit: April 18, 2024, 03:37:42 pm by JackWard33 »

Offline Redley

• Legacy Fan
  • Turned doubters to believers
« Reply #14515 on: April 18, 2024, 03:36:27 pm »

You've said this before and then done a runner when this is actually pointed out...

significantly below is a stretch his 4 below in the EPL by fbref?

Stats stay the same but I guess we interpret them differently

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14516 on: April 18, 2024, 03:39:28 pm »
And yet still basically exactly xG to goals across his career.

Okay sure, citation please. On that page, it gives info for five seasons where his xG is 73.4 and his actual goals are 68. That is not near exactly the same. If he'd hit average in that abnormal last season it would be at something like 60 against 73. His shots-to-goal total has also been similarly bad for three of those last four seasons.

Online mullyred94

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14517 on: April 18, 2024, 03:40:38 pm »
Okay sure, citation please. On that page, it gives info for five seasons where his xG is 73.4 and his actual goals are 68. That is not near exactly the same. If he'd hit average in that abnormal last season it would be at something like 60 against 73. His shots-to-goal total has also been similarly bad for three of those last four seasons.

So 5 below his XG over 5 seasons is poor finishing?

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14518 on: April 18, 2024, 03:40:40 pm »
Whos slating Jota?

Only point re Jota I've seen is that he went 32 games without scoring yet most people would say his a good finisher right?

EDIT - Infact Jota has been the best finisher for Liverpool since Klopp took over IMO.

Slating may be an exaggeration, but go and look in his thread. Dilks and Jack will gleefully point out every time he misses a good chance, just because they can't accept that finishing is a skill, and Jota is the best player in our squad at that.

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14519 on: April 18, 2024, 03:41:07 pm »
You've said this before and then done a runner when this is actually pointed out...
I'm sorry but I have no idea what 'significantly below is a stretch his 4 below in the EPL by fbref?' means , so it's difficult to really mount an argument against it.