Author Topic: Welcome to Liverpool, Alexis Mac Allister  (Read 212683 times)

Offline MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Welcome to Liverpool, Alexis Mac Allister
« Reply #2160 on: March 3, 2024, 02:01:11 am »
I still think Szobo is the signing of the season based on those insane first few months before the injuries hit, but to sign Alexis, Szobo and Endo in one window was outrageous. They have all be incredible.
Szobo was incredible out the gate but so far Mac and Endo have been better. Szobo hopefully eclipses them since he's more dynamic and younger but right now it's the other two for me. Grav a bit behind.

Offline Air Jota

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2161 on: March 3, 2024, 02:04:18 am »
Dom has been a good signing but Macca has played exceptionally well as a 6 and as an 8, he controls the game and influences key aspects of our play. He's calm on the ball, he's got great vision, hes world class where as Dom imo has to be a bit more consistent in his performances.

Offline Redshadow

• Legacy Fan
  • Wir schaffen es diesmal mit Herrn Klopp
« Reply #2162 on: March 3, 2024, 02:04:30 am »
Should be in contention for POTY. Best midfield engine in the league
Whatever an education is, it should make you a unique individual, not a conformist; it should furnish you with an original spirit to tackle big challenges; it should allow you to find values to road map through life; it should make you spiritually rich, a person who loves whatever you are doing, wherever you are.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2163 on: March 3, 2024, 02:15:55 am »
I still find it funny how underrated he is/was. He was integral to Argentina winning the world cup. He was Messi's main contributer in how they play the game. I argued with a few on here that didn't really rate him.

The main point was a player like this makes the team better. He has made us better in nearly every game he has played. You have to have players like this to win consistently.

I was underwhelmed, only because I'd only seen him against us, as I barely pay attention or watch any others.

To this day I've not watched the City mutant play against anyone, not for them, Norway or Red bull.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline MNAA

• ...mnaa, doo doo, deh-doodoo.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2164 on: March 3, 2024, 03:05:03 am »
35 million. An absolute robbery. I suspect we felt bad for Brighton so we helped them rob Chelsea by hiking the price and pressuring them to pay it. :D
Mac cost us 100 million. We paid 35. Chelsea paid the balance on our behalf  ;D
Neither party wishes to be bent over backwards but...
coitus will occur

Offline The Final Third

• Brought to you from 15 minutes in the future :)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2165 on: March 3, 2024, 04:38:06 am »
Our ruddy-faced little wizard seems to have a cheat code for the fundamental constants of our universe - slowing time at will, making optimal decisions and executing them perfectly.

Offline Garlic Red

• Kopite
  • Pop n crisp
« Reply #2166 on: March 3, 2024, 08:06:45 am »
I remember thinking last season he was probably the best midfielder we played home or away. I was made up we signed him and wouldn’t have been fussed if we’d paid the reported 55-70m figures. I’ve thought the same about Lucas Paqueta this season. Can’t see us going for him, he looks destined for City, ban permitting, and we definitely don’t need another 8 or player of his profile. Sometimes you just see opposition players and they look a level above. Mac Allister was always one of them. 10 years ago I’d be losing my fingernails at the thought of him heading to Spain. Thank god those days are over.

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2167 on: March 3, 2024, 08:16:55 am »
He's even better now because he's not being played as a lone 6
« Last Edit: March 3, 2024, 09:04:57 am by clinical »
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #2168 on: March 3, 2024, 08:36:00 am »
The other thing about him is how he’s helped Nunez off the pitch. They are basically inseparable.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2169 on: March 3, 2024, 08:36:27 am »
The other thing about him is how he’s helped Nunez off the pitch. They are basically inseparable.
It’s the mate.

Online DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2170 on: March 3, 2024, 08:49:18 am »
He'd even better now because he's not being played as a lone 6

Nah he was incredible there too.

Offline OOS

• Jordan Henderson fanclub member #4
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2171 on: March 3, 2024, 08:58:11 am »
Best midfielder of the Klopp years. He's phenomenal, no weakness to his game. Can hunt players down, tackles all day, wins headers, can dribble, turn on the ball, pick out passes, fantastic technique, unreal engine. Everything. Can be a 6, 8 and 10 when needed.

Lad needs a proper song on the Kop.
"I think the most important thing about music is the sense of escape." - Thom Yorke

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2172 on: March 3, 2024, 09:05:26 am »
Nah he was incredible there too.

He was great. But even better now

Online BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2173 on: March 3, 2024, 09:13:26 am »
Best midfielder of the Klopp years. He's phenomenal, no weakness to his game. Can hunt players down, tackles all day, wins headers, can dribble, turn on the ball, pick out passes, fantastic technique, unreal engine. Everything. Can be a 6, 8 and 10 when needed.

Lad needs a proper song on the Kop.

Something to 'Mack the Knife'
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2174 on: March 3, 2024, 09:17:59 am »
He's brilliant. Should not go back to playing the 6 role (however well he did at it).

Online DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2175 on: March 3, 2024, 09:18:31 am »
Should not go back to playing the 6 role (however well he did at it).

This is bizarre.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2176 on: March 3, 2024, 09:19:48 am »
This is bizarre.
How is it "bizarre"?

Online DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2177 on: March 3, 2024, 09:20:46 am »
How is it "bizarre"?

Because he's an incredible six and our best midfield is him, Dom and Curtis.

Offline Garlic Red

• Kopite
  • Pop n crisp
« Reply #2178 on: March 3, 2024, 09:22:38 am »
He's brilliant. Should not go back to playing the 6 role (however well he did at it).

I get we can decide on a game to game basis, but I still think our best three is Mac/Curtis/Szobo. Endo has been tremendous and probably starts in certain types of games. I still think they’re our best three, though, and not sure Curtis or Dom suit the 6 as well as Mac.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2179 on: March 3, 2024, 09:22:52 am »
I didn't say he wasn't good at the 6 role. He's better further forward though. We don't know when Curtis is back so our midfield next Sunday should be Mac, Endo and Dom.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2180 on: March 3, 2024, 09:30:59 am »
I get we can decide on a game to game basis, but I still think our best three is Mac/Curtis/Szobo. Endo has been tremendous and probably starts in certain types of games. I still think they’re our best three, though, and not sure Curtis or Dom suit the 6 as well as Mac.
Curtis and Dom definitely don't suit the 6 role as well as Mac.

Offline clinical

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2181 on: March 3, 2024, 09:56:42 am »

He's better further forward. I'm not sure that is our best midfield. We look better with a natural no.6.

Online DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2182 on: March 3, 2024, 09:57:56 am »
He's better further forward.

It's ok to admit you were wrong about him.

Offline clinical

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2183 on: March 3, 2024, 09:58:49 am »
It's ok to admit you were wrong about him.

Eh? Pretty sure it was me who wanted Mac Allister and you Mount mate  ;D

Online DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2184 on: March 3, 2024, 10:00:47 am »
Eh? Pretty sure it was me who wanted Mac Allister and you Mount mate  ;D

You were fiercely against him being a 6 for months. I wasn't keen either but can admit I was wrong and he's a world beater there too.

Offline clinical

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2185 on: March 3, 2024, 10:02:17 am »
You were fiercely against him being a 6 for months. I wasn't keen either but can admit I was wrong and he's a world beater there too.

I've said he's great there. But he's still better further forward.

Offline Garlic Red

• Kopite
  • Pop n crisp
« Reply #2186 on: March 3, 2024, 10:18:05 am »
I personally always felt it was Mount or Szobo. I think either player was seen as Henderson’s long term replacement. I always felt like Mac was seen as Thiago’s replacement. A 6/8 that brought technical brilliance with underrated industry. Endo obviously replaced Fab and Gravenberch replaced Ox/Naby.

Offline SMASHerano

• Provides nothing extra. Average poster.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool 6-1 London
« Reply #2187 on: March 3, 2024, 10:23:12 am »
Still can't get over how good he is. 35M was an absolute steal for this quality.

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2188 on: March 3, 2024, 10:39:44 am »
I don't watch any other teams and I refused to watch the last world cup, so I'd never seen him really play. My kids said he was great but never realised just how good he is. He's just so so good.

Caicedo would probably be good under Klopp, but to think we got Mac, Endo and Szobo for less than he would have cost ;D
Jurgen YNWA

Offline SMASHerano

• Provides nothing extra. Average poster.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool 6-1 London
« Reply #2189 on: March 3, 2024, 10:43:18 am »
I don't watch any other teams and I refused to watch the last world cup, so I'd never seen him really play. My kids said he was great but never realised just how good he is. He's just so so good.

Caicedo would probably be good under Klopp, but to think we got Mac, Endo and Szobo for less than he would have cost ;D

He was an unused sub in the only game they lost. He started their second game against Mexico and they looked MUCH better due to that.

Offline Mister Flip Flop

• More flop than flip.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2190 on: March 3, 2024, 10:43:30 am »
Signing of the season for me ahead of Endo. Christ he has it all.
Soccer - let's face it, its not really about a game of ball anymore is it?

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #2191 on: March 3, 2024, 11:43:36 am »
Christ he has it all.
Apart from height and speed  :P

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2192 on: March 3, 2024, 12:22:01 pm »
I personally always felt it was Mount or Szobo. I think either player was seen as Henderson’s long term replacement. I always felt like Mac was seen as Thiago’s replacement. A 6/8 that brought technical brilliance with underrated industry. Endo obviously replaced Fab and Gravenberch replaced Ox/Naby.
Although in preseason it was Mac Allister on the right of the midfield 3 from memory which was usually the 'legs' role filling in for Salah and Trent. I guess it's hard to really know what the plan was and not like we'll see it next year. Think like with the forwards though you see the best managers adapt to situations and players strengths and it'll still work out. Sometimes just about buying quality and letting a manager make it work

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #2193 on: March 3, 2024, 12:52:22 pm »
I didn't say he wasn't good at the 6 role. He's better further forward though.

This point is just redundant now - I dunno how you split hairs over where he's better (regular viewers will know he put up elite defensive numbers as a 6 for example) as long as he's on the pitch
Yesterday he regularly picked the ball up off the centre backs (or was their first pass) against a team that was dropping off and basically dominated the game as a CM in spaces where sometimes he was a '6' and an '8'
The only thing he isn't is an out an out AM because he's not beating a man or creating a yard to get a shot off .. he's a CM who'll do whatever you ask him to at a top class level

Online Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2194 on: March 3, 2024, 12:54:37 pm »
This point is just redundant now - I dunno how you split hairs over where he's better (regular viewers will know he put up elite defensive numbers as a 6 for example) as long as he's on the pitch
Yesterday he regularly picked the ball up off the centre backs (or was their first pass) against a team that was dropping off and basically dominated the game as a CM in spaces where sometimes he was a '6' and an '8'
The only thing he isn't is an out an out AM because he's not beating a man or creating a yard to get a shot off .. he's a CM who'll do whatever you ask him to at a top class level

I dunno, I reckon he’d be a pretty good 10 as well.

Offline Garlic Red

• Kopite
  • Pop n crisp
« Reply #2195 on: March 3, 2024, 01:03:10 pm »
I dunno, I reckon he’d be a pretty good 10 as well.

He was brilliant in the 10 role at times for Brighton last season, he played it more like a Firmino. Back to goal, pulling centre backs/screening midfielders out of position, absorbing pressure and teeing off moving players. In Brighton’s team that heavily relied on patterns and movement, he was brilliant. Not many sides would use a 10 in the modern game never mind a 10 like Mac. He suits the 6/8 roles well in our system.

His best comparison for me is Gundogan. Just a complete midfielder with an elite technical skill set and brain to match. Gundogan was probably a better athlete and a bit taller but they play their role in a similar way. They figure the game out and rarely put a foot wrong.
« Last Edit: March 3, 2024, 10:37:58 pm by Garlic Red »

Offline Avens

• Look around you! Clearly knows his Gary Gum from his Anti-Gary Gum.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2196 on: March 3, 2024, 01:23:02 pm »
Apart from height and speed  :P

Who needs height and speed when you have Endo, Mac Allister and Elliott in your midfield!
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now. - Jurgen Klopp

Offline Redley

• Legacy Fan
  • Turned doubters to believers
« Reply #2197 on: March 3, 2024, 01:25:48 pm »
There’s a thing in online retail that says if there’s an obvious pricing error the company can just void any sale, regardless of what the website says. I do wonder if Brighton might not complain that £35 million was an obvious error and claim him back

Offline Avens

• Look around you! Clearly knows his Gary Gum from his Anti-Gary Gum.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2198 on: March 3, 2024, 02:57:21 pm »
There’s a thing in online retail that says if there’s an obvious pricing error the company can just void any sale, regardless of what the website says. I do wonder if Brighton might not complain that £35 million was an obvious error and claim him back

Whilst simultaneously being done for price gouging on their sale of Caicedo.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now. - Jurgen Klopp

Offline Sinyoro

• Give the ball to Bobby and he will scyoro
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2199 on: March 3, 2024, 03:05:25 pm »
I remember thinking last season he was probably the best midfielder we played home or away. I was made up we signed him and wouldn’t have been fussed if we’d paid the reported 55-70m figures. I’ve thought the same about Lucas Paqueta this season. Can’t see us going for him, he looks destined for City, ban permitting, and we definitely don’t need another 8 or player of his profile. Sometimes you just see opposition players and they look a level above. Mac Allister was always one of them. 10 years ago I’d be losing my fingernails at the thought of him heading to Spain. Thank god those days are over.

Yep, had the same feeling watching MacAllister at Brighton- there is just this intuition that there is a potential great there.

Currently the one player I am still disappointed we didn't get is Lavia.