Author Topic: LFC's next manager - chat and informed speculation  (Read 588179 times)

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
Re: LFC's next manager - chat and informed speculation
« Reply #13160 on: April 27, 2024, 11:12:47 pm »
I have the utmost disdain for opinions like this who minimise or dilute the enigmatic pulling power of Liverpool Football Club.

In that case why was Rodgers getting Gerrard to cold call prospective recruits.

As Gerrard explains:

‘I had an unofficial role at the club, trying to persuade some great players to join Liverpool. It was the same ritual every summer. The club would let me know which long-shot target they had in mind and then ask me to contact him. They thought that a request to consider moving to Liverpool would have more impact coming from me.’

He admits that one ‘long-shot target’ was very ambitious indeed:

‘Brendan asked me to take a crack at trying to talk Toni Kroos into signing for Liverpool. He smiled when I said we’d be p***ing into the wind with this one…I knew Real Madrid were gearing up to make Bayern Munich an offer and so I felt a bit awkward when I texted Kroos. The German was on his way to winning the World Cup with his country and Real were the champions of Europe.

‘Some of the best footballers in the world can also be the most respectful. Kroos didn’t make me feel like I was a total idiot. But, of course, he would soon sign for Real Madrid. We had a nice little exchange of texts and I said well done and good luck.’
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13161 on: April 27, 2024, 11:21:40 pm »
There are a couple of things John.

Firstly what doesn't get mentioned very often is how often these teams who have a Head Coach/Sporting Director model change their coach. The coach becomes disposable. If you were looking for a parallel in this Country then it would be Chelsea. If you were looking for the top clubs in Europe then you would look at Bayern and Madrid.

It sounds great the Sporting Director building a squad that extends beyond the lifespan of the Coach. The problem is it creates a dressing room with more power than the Coach. Look at how many times the Chelsea, Madrid or Bayern dressing room has downed tools and seen off a Coach.

Instead of the Sporting director being held to account he just blames the Coach for not utilising the players properly.

It's also a setup which is in every American sport so something that the owners are well aware of and comfortable with.  I'm sure this has been said previously in this thread as well. 

Offline Agent99

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13162 on: April 27, 2024, 11:22:21 pm »
Let's hope this set up works better than last time.

Offline DLF

• Justified and Ancient
  • Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #13163 on: April 27, 2024, 11:26:22 pm »
It's the structure Klopp had at Dortmund.  It's the structure Alonso works under now.  I'm not sure Carlo even gets to pick the team in his current club.  Mourinho has just stated that all he wants to be is a head coach.  There are no managers out there, only coaches.  It's like buying a striker and playing them in midfield.  Ray Kennedy you say?  Oh alright I'll give you that one.
The secret is that our Liverpool team never know when to stop running and working. At Anfield we have always believed in players supporting each other and concentrating on not giving the ball away. You can't go charging forward all the time, willy-nilly. You must have patience.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13164 on: April 27, 2024, 11:38:11 pm »

As Gerrard explains:

‘I had an unofficial role at the club, trying to persuade some great players to join Liverpool. It was the same ritual every summer. The club would let me know which long-shot target they had in mind and then ask me to contact him. They thought that a request to consider moving to Liverpool would have more impact coming from me.’

‘Brendan asked me to take a crack at trying to talk Toni Kroos into signing for Liverpool. He smiled when I said we’d be p***ing into the wind with this one…I knew Real Madrid were gearing up to make Bayern Munich an offer and so I felt a bit awkward when I texted Kroos. The German was on his way to winning the World Cup with his country and Real were the champions of Europe.

‘Some of the best footballers in the world can also be the most respectful. Kroos didn’t make me feel like I was a total idiot. But, of course, he would soon sign for Real Madrid. We had a nice little exchange of texts and I said well done and good luck.’

Diffrent situation entirely. We're so far ahead asa club on and off the field then when FSG first took over.

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #13165 on: April 27, 2024, 11:51:45 pm »
Diffrent situation entirely. We're so far ahead asa club on and off the field then when FSG first took over.

The Kroos phone call wasn't when FSG first took over it was 4 years in and just after we almost won the League in 13-14.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13166 on: April 27, 2024, 11:54:27 pm »
The Kroos phone call wasn't when FSG first took over it was 4 years in and just after we almost won the League in 13-14.

The LFC of 2024 is A LOT stronger across the board than in 2014 for heavens sake Al.  Why are you being this weird mate? This is a nothing story.   ;D

Offline Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #13167 on: April 28, 2024, 12:03:03 am »
The LFC of 2024 is A LOT stronger across the board than in 2014 for heavens sake Al.  Why are you being this weird mate? This is a nothing story.   ;D

We became a lot stronger when Klopp convinced Van Dijk to turn down City and Chelsea and sign for us. Do you honestly think that happens without Klopp meeting up with Van Dijk.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13168 on: April 28, 2024, 12:03:19 am »
There are a couple of things John.

Firstly what doesn't get mentioned very often is how often these teams who have a Head Coach/Sporting Director model change their coach. The coach becomes disposable. If you were looking for a parallel in this Country then it would be Chelsea. If you were looking for the top clubs in Europe then you would look at Bayern and Madrid.

It sounds great the Sporting Director building a squad that extends beyond the lifespan of the Coach. The problem is it creates a dressing room with more power than the Coach. Look at how many times the Chelsea, Madrid or Bayern dressing room has downed tools and seen off a Coach.

Instead of the Sporting director being held to account he just blames the Coach for not utilising the players properly.   
Whatever Al. What are the ideal models? (post a unique Fergerson)
I'd have said a non-financially doped City with their team and manager. But they're out of the CL.
Arsenal - Arteta has done a great job but they are out of the CL. Whose behind him anyway
What about all of the teams left in the CL, should we / do we want to be like any of them. I've no idea what their set up is.

Online Sinyoro

• Give the ball to Bobby and he will scyoro
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13169 on: April 28, 2024, 12:06:36 am »
Manchester City
Arsenal
arguably Liverpool 2016-2022
Real Madrid
Barcelona
Atletico Madrid
Bayern Munich
Borussia Dortmund
Bayer Leverkusen
Paris Saint-Germain
Ajax
Porto
Benfica

It's actually hard to find a club that doesn't!

We are catching up, good to see.

Thanks

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13170 on: April 28, 2024, 12:07:01 am »
We became a lot stronger when Klopp convinced Van Dijk to turn down City and Chelsea and sign for us. Do you honestly think that happens without Klopp meeting up with Van Dijk.

I don't know probably not but now you're getting into hypotheticals. 

LFC of 2024 is stronger than in 2014 that is a fact without a shadow of a doubt.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13171 on: April 28, 2024, 12:07:57 am »

As Gerrard explains:

So whats your point here?
I said the Club should be the attraction, you seem endorse an individual should (not could) be an attraction but the example you gave failed.
fml, I know how Yorky feels now.

Offline Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #13172 on: April 28, 2024, 12:14:06 am »
Whatever Al. What are the ideal models? (post a unique Fergerson)
I'd have said a non-financially doped City with their team and manager. But they're out of the CL.
Arsenal - Arteta has done a great job but they are out of the CL. Whose behind him anyway
What about all of the teams left in the CL, should we / do we want to be like any of them. I've no idea what their set up is.

Liverpool in the 70's and 80's, Ferguson in the 90's and 00's, Wenger in the 00's have all been the dominant teams with the manager having a huge amount of power. Guardiola has dominated recently with a huge amount of power. Arsenal have flourished since under Arteta who has a lot of power.

The biggest turnaround in the Premier League has been Aston Villa with Emery bringing in his own DoF in Monchi and having a huge amount of power. Our best seasons over the last couple of decades have been when the likes of Benitez and Klopp had huge amounts of power.

No one in this League has ever had a transformative SD or DoF who has changed things and turned their team into the dominant force.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline KC7

• Main Stander
« Reply #13173 on: April 28, 2024, 12:19:19 am »
I have the utmost disdain for opinions like this who minimise or dilute the enigmatic pulling power of Liverpool Football Club.

No question. It isnt hyperbole to state this is an iconic football club, one ot two in England (sorry Arsenal).

Probably the most iconic club ground in the country, certainly the most famous stand, likewise most famous anthem (on the planet).

When the opposition fans come to Anfield they have the cameras out, they know it's special. Foreign newspapers, same adulation about the place

When Jurgen heard of our interest, he asked his family, "how does Liverpool FC sound"?.

Look at Barcelona, a financial basket case (plus I've no idea who their manager is now), they can still draw Lewandowski.

Offline Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #13174 on: April 28, 2024, 12:22:21 am »
So whats your point here?
I said the Club should be the attraction, you seem endorse an individual should (not could) be an attraction but the example you gave failed.
fml, I know how Yorky feels now.

If you want ambitious players who are going to take you to the next level then you need to sell the project. You need a manager who can convince the player of two things the project and that the manager will improve the player. That is why we were able to sign Van Dijk and also why we have been able to keep hold of our best players.

We have also been able to recruit outstanding young players because they know they will get a chance under Klopp.

If you look back to how we became a big club then it was the ability of Shanks to sell the club to the likes of St John when we were a second division club. That is a manager telling a player the club is going places and that he will make them a better player. How does that work when you have a Sporting Director in charge of transfers?
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #13175 on: April 28, 2024, 12:33:50 am »
If you want ambitious players who are going to take you to the next level then you need to sell the project. You need a manager who can convince the player of two things the project and that the manager will improve the player. That is why we were able to sign Van Dijk and also why we have been able to keep hold of our best players.

We have also been able to recruit outstanding young players because they know they will get a chance under Klopp.

If you look back to how we became a big club then it was the ability of Shanks to sell the club to the likes of St John when we were a second division club. That is a manager telling a player the club is going places and that he will make them a better player. How does that work when you have a Sporting Director in charge of transfers?

But that’s what’s been the case here anyway? And nothing changes regards a player being able to speak with the coach, that still happens in all the leagues around Europe when this is the usual way of working.

Offline RedSetGo

• Anny Roader
  • The Lord Jesus Saves.
« Reply #13176 on: April 28, 2024, 01:19:17 am »
Our first signing could be Geertruida of wait for it...Feyenoord.  ;D

And I for one would be very okay with this. Plays RB, RCB, LCB. Strong in duels, good on the ball, mean look when he plays, and for you hipsters, looks comfortable in central areas when he is needed to invert.

Has played for Slot (obvs), has played with VVD & Gakpo.

I'm on board.

Offline Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #13177 on: April 28, 2024, 01:30:39 am »
But that’s what’s been the case here anyway? And nothing changes regards a player being able to speak with the coach, that still happens in all the leagues around Europe when this is the usual way of working.

That hasn't been the case here though. The manager has been in control of transfers. Even Rodgers admitted he had the final say. Even though he complained he was given a limited choice of players.

That is not what is being planned at Liverpool now. What is being advocated now is that Slot concentrates on coaching whilst reporting to a SD who picks the players.

You will know better than me but for instance at Dortmund it evolved into a situation in which Klopp and Zorc collaborated on players with Watzke as the ultimate decision maker?
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #13178 on: April 28, 2024, 01:35:22 am »
And I for one would be very okay with this. Plays RB, RCB, LCB. Strong in duels, good on the ball, mean look when he plays, and for you hipsters, looks comfortable in central areas when he is needed to invert.

Has played for Slot (obvs), has played with VVD & Gakpo.

I'm on board.

It would be nuts though.

RB, RCB is probably the strongest area of the team. We have Trent, Bradley, Ibou and Gomez whilst on the other side we have significant issues. It would be a complete waste of our resources. 
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13179 on: April 28, 2024, 01:36:13 am »
Al mate, if it goes tits up we know who's to blame anyway. It's Edwards and Hughes and Edwards has his fall guy lnied up anyway in Hughes. He's not LFC but FSG. He would  just get in another Sporting Director.

Offline Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #13180 on: April 28, 2024, 01:48:18 am »
Al mate, if it goes tits up we know who's to blame anyway. It's Edwards and Hughes and Edwards has his fall guy lnied up anyway in Hughes. He's not LFC but FSG. He would  just get in another Sporting Director.

It doesn't work like that though Samie.

At the time recruitment team transfers like Markovic, Moreno, Can, Balotelli, Coates, Alberto, Aspas, Sakho, llori, Assaidi, Yesil and even Origi were alleged to have failed because the manager refused to give them a chance.

It wasn't Edwards and the recruitment team who lost their jobs it was the manager.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13181 on: April 28, 2024, 01:59:23 am »
And he will too unfortunatly. That's how business works mate. But in that scenario the pressure builds on Edwards to get it right the next time. I don't think we'll get another manager/coach that leads us for a decade like Klopp did. That's rare these days and you know that.

Offline DLF

• Justified and Ancient
  • Main Stander
« Reply #13182 on: April 28, 2024, 02:13:15 am »
Liverpool in the 70's and 80's, Ferguson in the 90's and 00's, Wenger in the 00's have all been the dominant teams with the manager having a huge amount of power. Guardiola has dominated recently with a huge amount of power. Arsenal have flourished since under Arteta who has a lot of power.

The biggest turnaround in the Premier League has been Aston Villa with Emery bringing in his own DoF in Monchi and having a huge amount of power. Our best seasons over the last couple of decades have been when the likes of Benitez and Klopp had huge amounts of power.

No one in this League has ever had a transformative SD or DoF who has changed things and turned their team into the dominant force.
Surely this is also the flaw in the all powerful manager model?  For all their success, United have spent a huge amount of money and time trying to find the the next Busby or the next Ferguson.  18 of their 20 league titles and all their European Cups have been won by just 2 managers!  Everything goes tits up when the glorious reign comes to an end.  No continuity.

Txiki Bgiristain was DoF at Barcelona and now City.  He hires the coaches and players to suit the style of play he decided on i.e principles of Cruyff.  When Guardiola goes he will find a coach compatible with the way they play.  Since he and Pep are completely on the same page and have worked together for so long Pep does actually get a say in identifying transfer targets.  Pellegrini didn't and the next City coach won't.  It will probably someone we haven't heard of from Barcelona B!
The secret is that our Liverpool team never know when to stop running and working. At Anfield we have always believed in players supporting each other and concentrating on not giving the ball away. You can't go charging forward all the time, willy-nilly. You must have patience.

Offline Historical Fool

• A fool in the present too. The ban on drivel from 666 has led to a remarkable increase in forum quality. Currently being spectacularly wooshed. Seemingly by, well, just about everything.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FSG EOTM June ‘23
    • Fenway Sports Group
« Reply #13183 on: April 28, 2024, 02:31:58 am »
There is a monumental difference though between working under a Sporting Director and alongside one. I would say Guardiola, Arteta, Klopp, Emery, Ange, Ten Hag, Howe etc work alongside DoF their DoF's.

For me that is changing with Slot. Rodgers and Klopp had the final say on transfers. The new structure changes that for me. That is the massive difference.

There are literally tens of posts where you have argued differently in the past, that Rodgers and Klopp did not have the final say on transfers …
You're all too fucking serious, the lot of you. Relax, we don't really matter.

Oh, and we should have an in's and out's topic, stickied.

Offline Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #13184 on: April 28, 2024, 02:49:50 am »
There are literally tens of posts where you have argued differently in the past, that Rodgers and Klopp did not have the final say on transfers …

Ian Ayre

“There’s only one person that has the final say over what players [we sign] at Liverpool Football Club and that’s Jurgen Klopp right now,” he insisted.

“That’s always been the case for as long as I’ve been here.”

What I have said previously is that the situation has been manipulated so that the manager has basically Hobsons choice.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline jckliew

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13185 on: April 28, 2024, 03:14:49 am »
Does anyone have the feeling that Klopp lost the changing room in the past month?
How else can you explain the attitude of the once mentality monsters who roamed Anfield?
Which led the total collapse of their performance.
My 12yr old son asked me: Is Blackburn a Racist name?

Offline Egyptian36

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13186 on: April 28, 2024, 04:14:27 am »
Does anyone have the feeling that Klopp lost the changing room in the past month?
How else can you explain the attitude of the once mentality monsters who roamed Anfield?

Injuries = less rotation = players tired physically and mentally

Offline mrantarctica

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13187 on: April 28, 2024, 04:24:25 am »

Don't think so to be honest. I think possibly we just had a few set backs and it really knocked the stuffing out of a bunch of young players who were probably running on fumes at that stage anyway, due to the amount of injuries we've had. When that happens, it's absolutely possible that the team just doesn't click, players play tentatively and look shadows of their former selves. Having so many away games didn't help either. I don't think it was anything to do with the manager or players not trying - it just sometimes comes down to the fact that we were probably a bit short on confidence and things didn't go our way this time.

It's been a gruelling season, and the players have fought pretty hard to get as deep into competitions as they have. At the point that we had just drawn to City, we were still at the top of the table (I think Arsenal only ahead on goal difference) and were still in all the competitions. Since then we've really just had a number of bad performances and set backs. That Man Utd loss in the FA cup and the Atalanta loss really knocked the stuffing out of us and I wonder if the players have just collectively lost a bit of hope from there. They are young players as well that need to learn that to be at the very top, you have to keep going no matter what. You can't afford to stop and look at the table or worry about what could have been. The very best of the best are always looking to push the boundaries of how far they can go and how well they can play, no matter what has just happened the game before. Hopefully they can learn from it and get back to winning ways soon

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #13188 on: April 28, 2024, 04:27:17 am »

Not having a go at you but the term ‘lost the dressing room’ has to be one of the most inane phrases in football :lmao

But no, I highly doubt it. Althogh maybe an arugment could be made to the fact he hasn’t seemed his same engaged self at times in the last month and has looked like a man who can’t wait to get out at times, maybe that rubs off on the players too.

Offline mrantarctica

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13189 on: April 28, 2024, 04:40:13 am »
Not having a go at you but the term ‘lost the dressing room’ has to be one of the most inane phrases in football :lmao

But no, I highly doubt it. Althogh maybe an arugment could be made to the fact he hasn’t seemed his same engaged self at times in the last month and has looked like a man who can’t wait to get out at times, maybe that rubs off on the players too.

I think he's given everything he's got to give and there's nothing left. This is where the players, who he's really carried and owe a lot to him, pull their socks up and carry him and the club over the line. Players like Ali, VVD, Robbo, Trent, Salah have just been so far off it recently, that it's embarrassing. They need and must do better in the remaining games. I hope they can stand up and bring the younger or less experienced players with them.

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13190 on: April 28, 2024, 06:53:55 am »

Do you think the new manager won't meet with prospective new players and have to/try to convince them to join us? 

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #13191 on: April 28, 2024, 07:11:05 am »
Apparently, Slot's training methods and style of play reduce injuries. Let's hope this is correct.

Offline spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13192 on: April 28, 2024, 07:17:34 am »
With regard to the manager persuading players to join, I think the recruitment team will target players with potential rather than best in class which will cost a fortune.
Also, Klopp was a name but he wasn't the be-all and end-all with regard to getting players to join. Dom said it was more than Klopp that made him join and Caicedo went to Chelsea.

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13193 on: April 28, 2024, 07:23:21 am »
There's nothing quite so invigorating on a Sunday morning than an Al argument 😊

Offline has gone odd

• a tru-ro...I mean....red!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13194 on: April 28, 2024, 07:34:52 am »
Like many here, have tried to convince myself that this new era is going to be amazing because our owners would never do the wrong thing or make a mistake. My mind though is changing daily ...

The boss knew the club would need to find a replacement swiftly, but perhaps, at least judging by his reaction yesterday, the manner and means of doing so have not impressed Klopp whatsoever. Didn't seem at all impressed by the news himself and can see why. While it has not been dragged out too long, the process smacked of cheap sideshow to an important end of season run, in which we have now spectacularly imploded.

The usual cheap ass budget will re-surface and will leave the same old problems, like not plugging obvious gaps, if previous history tells us anything.

- all in my opinion of course -

Offline spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13195 on: April 28, 2024, 07:44:11 am »
Like many here, have tried to convince myself that this new era is going to be amazing because our owners would never do the wrong thing or make a mistake. My mind though is changing daily ...

The boss knew the club would need to find a replacement swiftly, but perhaps, at least judging by his reaction yesterday, the manner and means of doing so have not impressed Klopp whatsoever. Didn't seem at all impressed by the news himself and can see why. While it has not been dragged out too long, the process smacked of cheap sideshow to an important end of season run, in which we have now spectacularly imploded.

The usual cheap ass budget will re-surface and will leave the same old problems, like not plugging obvious gaps, if previous history tells us anything.

Klopp isn't stupid. He must have known we would look for a new manager during the season and once that happened sources would leak approaches to potential candidates to the press. Personally, I think this collapse has most down to injuries. The injuries have meant more of the fringe/kids have had to play more than usual (on top of UEFA) and they aren't used to that amount of football so are knackered this has coincided with returning players who are short of match fitness and rhythm and the two crossing over has resulted in a huge loss of form. It was a perfect storm to scuppoer our title challenge.

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13196 on: April 28, 2024, 07:48:46 am »

Have you ever left a job and tried to work a longer-term notice? Even if you have all the best intentions of seeing the big project through, doing a good handover for the new person in your role, etc, and some point you really stop caring. Their future is not your future any more, and your work motivation will drop. Maybe something a bit similar is going on, maybe not even with Klopp himself, but a lot of the coaches are also leaving. And there could be some sort of mirror effect on the players - why buy into everything your boss says, if he's not going to be your boss for much longer.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13197 on: April 28, 2024, 08:10:02 am »
Apparently, Slot's training methods and style of play reduce injuries. Let's hope this is correct.

And those methods have translated from AZ Alkmaar to Feyenoord.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline LiamG

• He's loving angels instead. Cos through it all they offer him protection.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #13198 on: April 28, 2024, 08:10:43 am »
Lets hope the first thing he works on is us not conceding first all the time!

Offline Garlic Red

• Kopite
  • Pop n crisp
« Reply #13199 on: April 28, 2024, 08:12:36 am »

I know quite a few Arsenal fans, they’re always very happy to remind me that their recent surge is down to Arteta and Edu. They never talk about power and final say, instead saying that the chemistry/harmony there means nobody talks about it in that way.

Guardiola had the Barcelona lot in at City years before he got there, there’s no doubting he has power there, but he isn’t running CFG and again, it’s as much about the balance of power there as it is just one single man calling the shots.

The point is, every great club has a structure, you’re trying to suggest a structure cannot function if the manager isn’t the dominant figure in terms of decisions and voting power. I’d suggest that at most successful clubs this sort of stuff becomes irrelevant because they’re aligned on all levels. It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure out how you remain aligned on all levels, usually being pretty grown up and transparent goes a long way.

I think pretty much every big club in the world operates in a way where the structure is responsible for strategy and the manager is responsible for coaching and preparing the team. You don’t see Real Madrid giving Ancelotti final say on everything, do you? Nor do you see it with Barcelona. You keep saying Emery brought in Monchi to Aston Villa, Monchi has been a Sporting Director for over 20 years, he’s joined Aston Villa as president of sporting operations, then they have Damian Vidagny as their Director of Football. Monchi brought Emery in at Seville and worked above him. They all work together and I almost guarantee nobody will be talking about who has final say, who has the most power etc there because the dynamic has already been successful in Seville, it isn’t a talking point unless you’re intentionally looking to create one by insisting there is division or that there’s no way a top club can operate with a ‘head coach’ instead of a manager.

Lastly, I’ll put this in again but it was from an Athletic article on Edwards after we’d just won the league in 2020:

Howe was on a three-man shortlist with Klopp and Carlo Ancelotti for the manager's position and it was part of Edwards' job, then as Liverpool's technical director, to determine who had the outstanding credentials to replace Brendan Rodgers.

Ancelotti, who now finds himself on the other side of Stanley Park with Everton, passed all the criteria in terms of his record in the Champions League and the statistics relating to his teams at clubs including Juventus, AC Milan, Chelsea and Real Madrid. But his transfer record counted against him because the check system devised by Edwards and Liverpool's analysts deliberately placed less emphasis on a manager's recruitment in his first year.

Their theory was that a manager might not have the ultimate say when it came to transfer business during his first season but, in years two, three, four and five, that manager's influence would be greater and signings would not happen without his input.

A lot of Ancelotti's recruits were deemed to be on the older side and that jarred with Liverpool's thinking. Edwards and the hierarchy wanted players aged 26 or under who were approaching their peak years and would still have a re-sale value three or four years later.

I don’t see why that will change under Hughes/Slot. And if Arne is happy to come here under that premise and prove he’s ready to earn the additional responsibility, we should all be happy too and hope that our faith’s rewarded.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2024, 08:14:51 am by Garlic Red »