Author Topic: Wrestling Thread (AEW, NJPW, WWE, etc) (*)  (Read 460986 times)

Offline courty61

• Legacy Fan
  • Never Buy The S*n
Re: Wrestling Thread (AEW, NJPW, WWE, etc) (*)
« Reply #320 on: August 11, 2019, 09:37:34 pm »
Getting a bit obsessed with these 83 weeks podcasts with Bischoff which is funny as I was never really into WCW.

Summerslam tonight. What's everyone fave? I loved 98 at the garden.

Stone Cold v Taker. Hhh v the rock ladder match.
77, 78, 81, 84, 05, 19

Offline my usenme changed?

• Self-appointed moderator for comic topics
  • Kopite
  • RAWK Librarian
« Reply #321 on: August 11, 2019, 09:50:46 pm »
Getting a bit obsessed with these 83 weeks podcasts with Bischoff which is funny as I was never really into WCW.

I remember what got me into wrestling. My brother got a “WWF ‘94: Year in review” vhs and on it was taker vs taker. All the build up to the bout then the match itself. 10 year old me loved it, I couldn’t tell the difference at the time!! 98 was pretty good too. I also enjoyed HBK overselling every hogan strike too in 2005  ;D

Won’t watch tonight but will catch up tomorrow morning.

How was nXt last night?
Mid-Ulster Kopite  ---  BELIEVER

77 * 78 * 81 * 84 * 05 * 19
Follow me on Twitter for stuff about LFC and, er, Libraries. www.twitter.com/@cahalboyd

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
  • Grew up with Houllier and Rafa teams
« Reply #322 on: August 11, 2019, 10:01:20 pm »
How was nXt last night?

I caught the second half of Takeover last night. Seems Shayna v Yim was the worst of the two womens matches (anyone else bored of her run? She's gone over everyone but lacks the quality that Asuka had where she can make an opponent look good in defeat) and then Cole/Gargano had a good story but they went nearly an hour! Prepare a meal and have a snack in between each fall ;D

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #323 on: August 11, 2019, 10:11:50 pm »

1997 was quite a famous one. Owen Hart delivered a botched piledriver to Austin that temporarily paralyzed him and left him with many years of neck issues. Then Bret Hart beat The Undertaker after guest ref HBK accidentally hit The Undertaker with a chair.

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #324 on: August 11, 2019, 10:13:58 pm »

A bit crazy to think that two of those are still wrestling to this day, albeit part-time.

Online Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #325 on: August 12, 2019, 02:23:07 am »

Gotta be Summerslam '92 at Wembley.

Online paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #326 on: August 12, 2019, 10:27:45 am »
Gotta be Summerslam '92 at Wembley.
i actually watched savage and warrior the other night from that, dont think it was a good as their wm 7 match but still a bloody good match. Savage's in ring psychology is nothing short of fantastic. The months leading up wondering which corner mr perfect would be in and they fooled us all

I remember being desperate for warrior to win that one, great story line.

summerslam 91 I remember well, sky had a scrambled channel were you could listen to the audio, listened to it all night.

Enjoyed 1990 as well although in hindsight maybe the harts and demolition was the only decent match.

89, warrior vs rude was great, the opening bout with the brain busters and the harts too

fast forward at the time of 2002 shawn michaels and HHH was mind blowing

edit: another thing with summerslam 92, Bret and bulldog tore the house down to close the show off. I read one interview with Bret,

i think what he said was there was times Bulldog no showed rehearsals for that match and was doing a lot of drugs around that time, when it got to the night and the match in question apparently bulldog said early on to hitman "i am fucked" or some such, he forgot absolutely every spot in the match. Bret had to walk him through it.

Id well believe that to be true
« Last Edit: August 12, 2019, 10:45:34 am by Hellrazor »
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #327 on: August 12, 2019, 11:20:09 am »
Super hot angle with KENTA and Shibata at the G1.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #328 on: August 12, 2019, 10:23:45 pm »
Super hot angle with KENTA and Shibata at the G1.

Spoiler
[close]

Online damomad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #329 on: August 13, 2019, 10:29:12 pm »
Just catching up with Summerslam, that first spear by Goldberg, wow. I shouldn't have expected anything less but Dolph is the still best seller in the business.
You're still the one pool where I'd happily drown

Offline bird_lfc

• Would much rather have a good wank than get behind the team. Champion of Luke Shaw’s reputation.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #330 on: August 14, 2019, 08:37:05 am »
Just catching up with Summerslam, that first spear by Goldberg, wow. I shouldn't have expected anything less but Dolph is the still best seller in the business.

Considering that was a squash match, I thought the segment as a whole was pretty good. Dolph playing the whiny heel and calling him back to the ring was great.

I thought summerslam as a whole was pretty good, as was RAW. The product does seem to be improving by the weeek in my opinion.

Online CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #331 on: August 14, 2019, 10:41:06 am »
Reigns/Murphy on Smackdown last night was a great TV match, fantastic showing from the pair of them.

Match is here if you have ten minutes to spare: https://streamable.com/ohauz
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #332 on: August 14, 2019, 11:31:08 am »
Just wish Murphy had some sort of personality, he can really go in the ring.  Maybe he'll find himself at some point and level up.

Offline rakey_lfc

• pwned by Ronaldo...and eBay
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm a people's man - only the people matter.”
« Reply #333 on: August 14, 2019, 07:53:38 pm »
The fiend stuff has been brilliant. Really enjoyed it. It’s the main thing that’s got me hooked with WWE again. I think it is slowly turning a corner again.

Not seen smackdown yet, but enjoyed both SummerSlam and Raw.
SUPPORT AND BELIEVE

You'll Never Walk Alone

Xbox 360 gamertag - TonyB1604

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #334 on: August 15, 2019, 06:03:27 am »
The Austin interview over Skype was just...blergh
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline rakey_lfc

• pwned by Ronaldo...and eBay
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm a people's man - only the people matter.”
« Reply #335 on: August 15, 2019, 09:31:14 am »
The Austin interview over Skype was just...blergh

I thought the point of that was to promote his TV show and he ended up just talking about Rollins....? Seemed a bit confusing!
SUPPORT AND BELIEVE

You'll Never Walk Alone

Xbox 360 gamertag - TonyB1604

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #336 on: August 15, 2019, 10:55:58 pm »
Monday was supposed to be Zigglers last match after a handshake agreement between him and Vince to let him out of his contact

But the rise of AEW means that Vince would rather let him stay at home (or be a jobber) than leave

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #337 on: August 16, 2019, 12:18:24 am »
Monday was supposed to be Zigglers last match after a handshake agreement between him and Vince to let him out of his contact

But the rise of AEW means that Vince would rather let him stay at home (or be a jobber) than leave

That's wild, Ziggler is exactly the guy I'd send to AEW if I were Vince.
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #338 on: August 16, 2019, 12:23:38 am »
WWE are desperate to horde as much talent as possible, the latest NXT recruits don't really have any standouts like before, they're just trying to hoover everyone up to hurt AEW.

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #339 on: August 16, 2019, 12:44:16 am »
WWE are desperate to horde as much talent as possible, the latest NXT recruits don't really have any standouts like before, they're just trying to hoover everyone up to hurt AEW.

Yeah but sending the guys who kinda suck but will want big money and a featured spot makes a ton of sense. Ziggler might be the absolute best guy to get rid of while poisoning the well at AEW. Look at how hard they're pushing the 10 guy, and he's had nowhere near the career Ziggler has had.
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #340 on: August 16, 2019, 12:56:42 am »
Despite the fact he has achieved close to fuck all for his whole 17 year career, Tye Dillinger/Shawn Spears still isn't as bad a set of 'damaged goods' as Dolph Ziggler is. And that's saying something!

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #341 on: August 16, 2019, 01:40:59 am »
Despite the fact he has achieved close to fuck all for his whole 17 year career, Tye Dillinger/Shawn Spears still isn't as bad a set of 'damaged goods' as Dolph Ziggler is. And that's saying something!

Yeah exactly. Now imagine Ziggler coming in with all that expectation and hype (in his own head at least) as the ultimate "held down" guy? Vince should be all over that.

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #342 on: August 16, 2019, 07:43:32 am »
You mock, but if he goes there and changes his name back to Nick Nemeth he could become the biggest star in professional wrestling
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #343 on: August 16, 2019, 08:16:48 am »
I like Ziggler. Sells better than anyone since HBK and had what I would consider the biggest post attitude era pop when he cashed in on Del Rio.

He's struggled with his gimmick and has been badly booked. But I think he would do well at AEW.

I dont think AWE was the reason he wanted out though. He's been doing a few stand up comedy gigs and some acting classes when he's been away from the ring.

I think AEW is the reason Vince wont let him out. Dirtsheets reporting that he was offered pretty big money to stay ($1.5m guaranteed) with options to move backstage as booker/producer but he turned it down.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #344 on: August 16, 2019, 10:52:12 am »
He was never going to be a top level star with the name they gave him and despite his Benny Hill bumping he's never been the greatest storyteller in the ring.  I think AEW would've been a nice change for him to see if a rebrand and working a less regimented style would help, but yeah, he's dead in the water at this point really.

It'll be really interesting to see if they can do anything with Spears.  He's middled around NXT and the lower-mid card on the main shows for years now so if they do manage to successfully make something of him it'll make AEW way more attractive to other wrestlers who might be thinking of jumping when their contracts are up.  Don't see it myself, he's a good worker but character-wise very limited.

Online Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #345 on: August 16, 2019, 01:34:27 pm »
Ziggler would be money in AEW. Terrific worker, looks great and is far more charismatic in person than you'd think given the horrible writing he's been lumbered with over the years. Remember what a joke the Miz was before he took control of his persona (and how ridiculous the writers still try to make him look)? I suspect the real reason Vince won't let him go is that after the Ambrose and Cody debacles, another underutilised wrestler leaving and suddenly looking amazing would be even more embarrassing.

Offline Scottish-Don

• Maggie May, Kez, Kopbird, LFCMunkee and gerrardspetal in any order
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'Cause he's a dedicated follower of fashion
« Reply #346 on: August 16, 2019, 02:59:45 pm »
King of the Ring is back

Can see Owens win this, Beating McIntyre in the Final, after his battle with Shane

Follow me on Twitter - @achtung_davie

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #347 on: August 16, 2019, 03:55:07 pm »
Love to see a Sami Zayn vs KO final

Offline Tonyh8su

• Tonyign0r35u
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #348 on: August 16, 2019, 04:17:24 pm »
King of the Ring is back

Can see Owens win this, Beating McIntyre in the Final, after his battle with Shane

Would be thinking this is how they start to rebuild McIntyre from being Shane's Diesel until now. They like a heel King as well.

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #349 on: August 16, 2019, 04:35:22 pm »
Would be thinking this is how they start to rebuild McIntyre from being Shane's Diesel until now. They like a heel King as well.

And he's british, so will get the "king" gimmick.
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #350 on: August 16, 2019, 04:35:27 pm »
It's a real opportunity to give someone a push out of nowhere and with it being an actual wrestling tournament I'd love to see Gable get a shot.  All he needs to go is grow a bit more first.

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #351 on: August 16, 2019, 09:19:52 pm »
Damn that guy up there still living in the fantasy world where Moxley isn't the most talked about guy in 2019 ^^

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #352 on: August 16, 2019, 09:49:22 pm »
Damn that guy up there still living in the fantasy world where Moxley isn't the most talked about guy in 2019 ^^

Not long til we find out if that means anything!

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Online CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #353 on: August 16, 2019, 10:20:30 pm »
Ziggler would be money in AEW. Terrific worker, looks great and is far more charismatic in person than you'd think given the horrible writing he's been lumbered with over the years. Remember what a joke the Miz was before he took control of his persona (and how ridiculous the writers still try to make him look)? I suspect the real reason Vince won't let him go is that after the Ambrose and Cody debacles, another underutilised wrestler leaving and suddenly looking amazing would be even more embarrassing.
The roar when he cashed in the MITB briefcase was something else.
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #354 on: August 16, 2019, 10:23:06 pm »

Let me just googl....

Yep, yep. He’s fighting Big Cass this weekend in a minor league baseball stadium.

It’d be interesting to see how Dean Ambrose is more talked about than Brock Lesnar though  :wave
« Last Edit: August 16, 2019, 10:28:48 pm by fucking appalled »
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #355 on: August 17, 2019, 12:38:14 am »
Finally someone else is doing the Claus gimmick, it's been a tiring few months!

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #356 on: August 17, 2019, 08:12:58 am »
Finally someone else is doing the Claus gimmick, it's been a tiring few months!

All it took was an ugly, scary mask

Offline LiverLuke

• RAWK's Respectable Poster Boy :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #357 on: August 18, 2019, 12:00:04 am »
Montez Ford is a future star, absolutely oozes charisma.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #358 on: August 18, 2019, 07:32:08 am »
I'm trying to catch up with AEW's output and just sat through the preshow to Fight for the Fallen... wow what a step down in quality - I get it's the preshow but when you compare it to Double or Nothing's Battle Royale it was at times painful. Only 2 weeks after Fyterfest so maybe they didn't have enough time to prepare but the timings in those matches was really off, wrestlers making it obvious they're waiting for the opponent to be in a certain place or running in a certain direction before they do anything.

I did like Sonny Kiss's self-choreographed entrance though. I don't find him attractive, it's just confusing. His finisher certainly could be countered pretty painfully.

Not really feeling 'the Librarians' comedy schtick. One note joke that needs a weekly show to get non-match spots to breathe.

Oh and having a 4ft-something, 100 pound Japanese woman in a match meant you struggled to feel the impact you normally get when watching say, Big Daddy vs Giant Haystacks.

Anyway, time to 'find' the main show.
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #359 on: August 19, 2019, 03:40:30 pm »
Tony Schiavone has signed with AEW and apparently turned down WWE (who likely were only after him to damage the competition).  That's a pretty big get.