Author Topic: Star Trek  (Read 128511 times)

Offline Inpeace

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Star Trek
« Reply #280 on: October 6, 2017, 04:49:41 pm »
More than likely, it's just a Bryan Fuller thing.  Anna Friel's character in Pushing Daisies was named Chuck, and  he recast the Freddie Lounds character in Hannibal as a woman.

Really liked the third episode, which kinda was another pilot, but at least spared us endless flashbacks.

Isaacs is going to be good in this - this morally ambiguous man whose motives may be questionable stuff he can do in his sleep.  Saru will probably turn out to be the most interesting character and the actor playing him is doing a great job.

I think they did really well to do it this way rather than with flashbacks - it was a good choice.

Offline Circa1892

• Real Madrid 0 - 1 Liverpool - Parc des Princes, 27th May 1981 Remember?... About as intimidating as Bambi.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #281 on: October 9, 2017, 07:56:55 pm »
Really not warming to this at all.

Captain Jason Isaacs is, so far, just vile. I know it's meant to be in war - but using living creatures as weapons/propulsion systems etc really doesn't fit right with anything we've seen in about 800 TV episodes and a dozen movies. The mad/bad Captain in that episode of Voyager did it, but even Section 31 etc never went to these lengths.

The security chief randomly wanting to chop the creatures hand off, the dull religious fundamentalist Klingons. If this show didn't have the misplaced brand/fan loyalty it wouldn't last.

I really, really hope they're going to use this show as an anthology as originally planned...

Offline Big Bamber

• Having a lovely time, living the best time of his life
  • Kopite
  • The Dude Abides
« Reply #282 on: October 11, 2017, 05:03:02 pm »
Four episodes in and I really like it. Intricate if a little obvious character parallels and comparisons, novelty of wartime on a science vessel, and it looks great. I couldn't give a shit about the fundamentalist adherence to canon bullshit or the over the top SJW criticism. It's just good telly. 
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 05:07:18 pm by Big Bamber »

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #283 on: October 11, 2017, 07:48:49 pm »
I loving this so far.

I'm a big trekkie and like the new direction they have taken.

My only gripe is that it's only 15 episodes with a mid season break instead of the 26 episodes a season i was accustomed with the Star Trek's before.

Was great when DS9 and Voyager used to be on,when DS9 had finished it's season the following week Voyager started for it's 26 episode season and vice versa for 7-8 years.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline losCHUNK

• Anny Roader
« Reply #284 on: October 12, 2017, 01:09:12 pm »
Really not warming to this at all.

Captain Jason Isaacs is, so far, just vile. I know it's meant to be in war - but using living creatures as weapons/propulsion systems etc really doesn't fit right with anything we've seen in about 800 TV episodes and a dozen movies. The mad/bad Captain in that episode of Voyager did it, but even Section 31 etc never went to these lengths.

TNG had the same theme with the exocomps ep too and I think it's following suite, not everyone's comfortable with this so it's exploring the moral dilemma, like the 2 part Equinox ep did.

DSC is exploring it too, context for kings pretty much confirmed Lorca believes in the greater good which (imo) has tee'd up Michael for some emotional conflict considering her Vulcan upbringing, I think this will be the plot device that does that.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 01:51:00 pm by losCHUNK »

Offline losCHUNK

• Anny Roader
« Reply #285 on: October 12, 2017, 01:54:53 pm »
I loving this so far.

I'm a big trekkie and like the new direction they have taken.

My only gripe is that it's only 15 episodes with a mid season break instead of the 26 episodes a season i was accustomed with the Star Trek's before.

Was great when DS9 and Voyager used to be on,when DS9 had finished it's season the following week Voyager started for it's 26 episode season and vice versa for 7-8 years.

Baby steps :), I'm obviously hoping this kicks off another generation of Trek.  It's a long shot, but prior to TNG being aired ST was trying to find a home.

WoK showed there was an interest and TNG loaned a lot of the movie notes to create the show, sounds familiar :)
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 01:59:08 pm by losCHUNK »

Offline Slick_Beef

• RAWK's Master Baker
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #286 on: October 12, 2017, 02:06:22 pm »
Still haven't got around to watching Ep4 but I thought Ep3 was good! It reminded me of Ensign Ro from TNG, which was always a storyline I felt they could have made more of

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #287 on: October 12, 2017, 06:20:52 pm »
I was ready to give up after episode 3 but thought I'd at least give it one more shot as we've essentially had three pilots in a row. Managed to fall asleep halfway throught and no real desire to back and try again, so that's me done. It's just not what I want from Star Trek; luckily the Orville scratches that paricular itch.
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline wheresnemeth

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #288 on: October 12, 2017, 06:44:10 pm »
I was ready to give up after episode 3 but thought I'd at least give it one more shot as we've essentially had three pilots in a row. Managed to fall asleep halfway throught and no real desire to back and try again, so that's me done. It's just not what I want from Star Trek; luckily the Orville scratches that paricular itch.

The Orville? Really? That horrible Star trek spoof that's not very funny.
making a c*nting mess of a list, like c*nts on a bike trying to win the Tour de France...

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #289 on: October 12, 2017, 07:11:04 pm »

Yep. Except it's not a spoof, so whether it's funny or not is immaterial. It's certainly out-Trekking Trek right now for me.
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline losCHUNK

• Anny Roader
« Reply #290 on: October 12, 2017, 07:14:28 pm »
It's more like Galaxy Quest to be honest

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #291 on: October 12, 2017, 09:53:29 pm »

I think the Orville is brilliant you have the new Star Trek and the Orville a nod to the old one.

I'm enjoying both shows
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Circa1892

• Real Madrid 0 - 1 Liverpool - Parc des Princes, 27th May 1981 Remember?... About as intimidating as Bambi.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #292 on: October 14, 2017, 03:29:15 pm »
Four episodes in and I really like it. Intricate if a little obvious character parallels and comparisons, novelty of wartime on a science vessel, and it looks great. I couldn't give a shit about the fundamentalist adherence to canon bullshit or the over the top SJW criticism. It's just good telly. 

SJW criticism?

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #293 on: October 16, 2017, 05:30:19 pm »
Just watched the latest episode and F bombs being dropped in Star Trek. :o

WTF!!!
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #294 on: October 16, 2017, 05:35:50 pm »

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #295 on: October 16, 2017, 05:38:02 pm »
Just watched the latest episode and F bombs being dropped in Star Trek. :o

WTF!!!

I thought that I was hearing things.Hopefully it speeds up a bit and the use cuss words points towards a more adult themed show.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Online Libertine

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing behind me, everything ahead of me
« Reply #296 on: October 16, 2017, 09:23:58 pm »
Getting seriously impressed with this now.

You can argue with the direction they're going in, but not with the quality of the show. Superb stuff so far.

Offline Circa1892

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #297 on: October 16, 2017, 10:16:56 pm »
Getting seriously impressed with this now.

You can argue with the direction they're going in, but not with the quality of the show. Superb stuff so far.

Kind of agree with the second half.

I wish they'd done what they did with the first two series of Enterprise (dropping the prefix) - I think if it was standalone I'd probably enjoy it. Just don't like the way they're changing the ethos of the show. It's not the continuity errors that bug me, it's the fact the commanding officer would happily effectively torture a sentient being to get somewhere quicker. It's bad Trek but good tv, so I'll keep watching!

Offline Big Bamber

• Kopite
  • The Dude Abides
« Reply #298 on: October 17, 2017, 10:43:41 pm »
SJW criticism?

Yeah, Google it, it's all over the web. Actually don't, it's brain-melting. ("Klingons are thinly disguised Trump supporters").

For example: https://youtu.be/aBb0hyuIfYQ

By the way, this guy seems Irish. He's not. I presume we have recinded his membership of our fine nation.

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #299 on: October 19, 2017, 02:10:14 am »
"This is so fucking cool"

Nearly fell off my chair.

Really enjoying the show.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/VbquZykWgAA" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/VbquZykWgAA</a>
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 11:34:48 am by Trada »

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Big Bamber

• Kopite
  • The Dude Abides
« Reply #300 on: October 24, 2017, 03:46:54 pm »
Episode 6 was brilliant. I have a soft spot for TNG and I think one of the TNG writers was involved with the latest story. The number of story arcs in the episode is great, but all seem to be to do with duality. Lorca is becoming a much better, fuller character now also. And it gets easier to root for Burnham.

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #301 on: October 24, 2017, 04:55:19 pm »
Yep. Except it's not a spoof, so whether it's funny or not is immaterial. It's certainly out-Trekking Trek right now for me.
:lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao

Online Libertine

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing behind me, everything ahead of me
« Reply #302 on: October 25, 2017, 03:56:13 pm »
Another great episode. So happy it's turned out this good, was dreading it after the first trailer months ago.

Good to see it's been confirmed for a second season too.

Offline kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #303 on: October 26, 2017, 12:42:34 am »
I've been enjoying it too. Having low expectations has probably helped. I could tell there was going to be the usual right-wing whining from the first episode, which hinted at multi-culturalism, and the line about not confusing culture with something... I can't remember.
Some of that stuff can jar a bit, but Star Trek has always gone down that road since the 60s. The fact that there are alt-righters in a fewm about it just makes me enjoy it more.

Offline Big Bamber

• Kopite
  • The Dude Abides
« Reply #304 on: October 26, 2017, 08:50:56 am »
I've been enjoying it too. Having low expectations has probably helped. I could tell there was going to be the usual right-wing whining from the first episode, which hinted at multi-culturalism, and the line about not confusing culture with something... I can't remember.
Some of that stuff can jar a bit, but Star Trek has always gone down that road since the 60s. The fact that there are alt-righters in a fewm about it just makes me enjoy it more.

Spot on.

Offline PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #305 on: October 26, 2017, 04:24:22 pm »
Absolutely loving Discovery at the moment.

First episode I was like hmmm meeehhh, second I was like ok this is interesting and from the 3rd on I am very much feeling it! I am a bit diff in the fact my favourite Star Trek's were DS9 and Voyager then TNG but I am enjoying this, then again I didn't think Enterprise was all bad and mostly everyone hated it haha

Offline Circa1892

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #306 on: October 26, 2017, 06:59:50 pm »

I've enjoyed it more as the series has gone on.

I've enjoyed the alt-righters getting annoyed. That said, I have found it weird how big a deal they've made of certain aspects. Star Trek has always been a long, long time ahead of the curve when it comes to almost all aspects of equality and social progress. It's not as if Discovery has suddenly boldly gone where the series has never been before...

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #307 on: October 26, 2017, 08:31:49 pm »
Any series the alt right approved of would probably be deeply offensive to me. What TV do they like?

Offline Circa1892

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #308 on: October 26, 2017, 08:48:27 pm »
Any series the alt right approved of would probably be deeply offensive to me. What TV do they like?

Offline elbow

• grease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boss Tha
« Reply #309 on: October 26, 2017, 10:18:40 pm »
That guy the Captain escaped with, was that Clem Fandango from Toast of London?
We are Liverpool!

Offline Circa1892

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #310 on: October 30, 2017, 09:12:28 pm »
Credit where it's due - the last episode was great. Felt like a proper Trek, Dwight from the Office played a stormer and basically took a great episode of TNG (Cause and Effect) and made it better. More of the same please!

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #311 on: October 30, 2017, 11:01:59 pm »
Mudd is quite brilliant.

Hope we see more of him,i'm guessing he'll be like Q and Moriarty in TNG and just be a irritant for Lorca.

Another fine episode.

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #312 on: October 31, 2017, 09:10:04 am »
Still can't believe they killed off Rekha Sharma though. Let alone Michelle Yeoh. Bastards.

Need a bigger cast. Hopefully it will grow.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline Jack the Red

• Legacy Fan
  • ...Never forget...
« Reply #313 on: October 31, 2017, 02:16:41 pm »

Yes I can hear you Clem Fandango! That's where I know him from, been annoying me. I know I could have looked it up, like.

Offline Big Bamber

• Kopite
  • The Dude Abides
« Reply #314 on: October 31, 2017, 04:01:07 pm »
Credit where it's due - the last episode was great. Felt like a proper Trek, Dwight from the Office played a stormer and basically took a great episode of TNG (Cause and Effect) and made it better. More of the same please!

Yes, real classic Trek feel. Mad that Mudd's return was met with a groan among fans before the pilot even aired. He's great.

Online Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #315 on: November 3, 2017, 10:13:41 am »

Yes, that was a cracker of an episode.  Really classic Trek fare - as you say, took its cue from a great time-loop TNG episode (with Captain Kelsey Grammar).  Rainn Wilson plays the hell out of Mudd.

God damn it, that's who he is.  If only he pressed the button before he talks...
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Circa1892

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #316 on: November 13, 2017, 09:32:34 pm »
Half series finale was a good one.

Spoiler
So they're lost somewhere. Most theories put them in the Mirror Universe, but maybe they're somewhere else? The future perhaps?
[close]

Offline Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #317 on: November 14, 2017, 01:06:27 am »
The series just got better and better.

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #318 on: November 14, 2017, 01:19:21 am »
Half series finale was a good one.

Spoiler
So they're lost somewhere. Most theories put them in the Mirror Universe, but maybe they're somewhere else? The future perhaps?
[close]

Spoiler

This place?

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/yPNgQt0Lkl8" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/yPNgQt0Lkl8</a>
[close]

Offline Slick_Beef

• RAWK's Master Baker
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #319 on: November 14, 2017, 11:53:25 am »
Didn't have the chance to watch yesterday's yet, but I have really enjoyed this series on the whole. I still don't really understand why it's a prequel, but that gripe aside I'm on board with it and looking forward to more.