Author Topic: on this day 1966... Aberfan  (Read 1991 times)

Offline quincyg

• Ultra-lounge lizard and musak lover. The naffer the better.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • can show me Down Under anytime!
on this day 1966... Aberfan
« on: October 21, 2005, 04:55:57 pm »
spotted this on a link from my news email. My late mum used to talk about it a lot. It was only 2 months before I was born and my mum sat crying in front of the TV. She felt awful sitting there waiting with a new life and watching distraught parents on the TV as they dug with bare hands looking for their kids. 116 of them perished as did 28 adults.
I've seen a couple of documentaries on this and the tragedy of it is awful. What made it worse is that it was preventable.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/october/21/newsid_2705000/2705335.stm
"There's no reason to become alarmed, and we hope you'll enjoy the rest of your flight. By the way, is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?"

"I'm takin' this bloody car.....All the way to Invercargill!!!"

Offline Rushian

• Blanco y en botella
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ¡No Pasarán!
    • Red and White Kop
Re: on this day 1966... Aberfan
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2005, 08:25:26 pm »
My dad was put on standby to go and help with the rescue effort. Over 2000 miners and others were digging at one time by hand to try and resue those buried. 144 were found dead including 116 children. It wiped out a whole generation.

The real scandal after the disaster was the removal of a load of money from the public appeal, set up to help the families, to clear the contribute towards removing the remaining slag heap that overlooked the village.

I remember it took years for them to clear those potential death traps from all the valleys - I can still clearly remember the tips in my valley now.

Far more on the disaster here:

http://www.nuff.ox.ac.uk/politics/aberfan/home.htm
If you're going to sign up on Betfair and fancy getting a free £25 on sign-up then use my refer code 749DCNQGK and I'll also get a £25 bonus ;)

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2005, 02:19:52 am »
I'm old enough to remember this awful tragedy, what a sad loss of life of so many kids and their teachers..There but for the grace of God go I...RIP...

Offline Mavis Cruet

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Welsh Wool
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2005, 10:27:15 am »
It was the month before I was born but my mother recalls how she dashed up to my sisters school to pick them up. She knew they were ok, but she just wanted to hold them and thank her lucky stars.

Just an awful thing to have happened.

Offline The 5th Benitle

• Mitch Fenner and Gerry Francis' biggest fan. Karaoke James - The Sausagefest Superhero. A soldier not a Capo di tutti capi. Clapham Stalker. RAWK X Factor Winner 2011. The poor man's Sarge!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Read, then post...
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2005, 11:55:04 pm »
RIP. What a horrible disaster

Offline Maggie May

• A true Grandmother of Sirs. The Next Vera Lynne. The Pigeon Queen. Lobster Botherer Knockout Champ. RAWK's favourite gog. Belshie Gets Hard For Her. Call that a knife??
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit. Semper Fi
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2005, 11:58:54 pm »
I remember Aberfan.  Words just can't describe the sheer, devastating  horror of it and how it affected the whole nation.    I'm thinking things I can't write down. 
Rather a day as a lion than a lifetime as a sheep.

I can only be nice to one person a day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look too good either.
I tried being reasonable.  I didn't like it.  Old enough to know better.  Young enough not to give a fuck.

Offline Roger

• The Derek Acorah of RAWK & Welsh News Correspondent
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2005, 12:11:48 am »
This is a disaster that is too much of a loss to describe. I cant see how any of those families can come to terms with it. I hope its some comfort to know that alot of people who are not connected to this aweful tragedy still think about the lost ones including me.

Offline Jon G

• I'm Jim Rockford, at the tone leave your name and number and I'll get back to ya. PM Jon Hall if you can read this...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 78 stone wobble
    • not mine
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2005, 03:59:22 pm »
My first teacher in comp, lost his wife and two children in the disaster, as he was from the village and his wife was a teacher in the school. My Dad helped out with the digging after he had gone to my Grans to make sure she was ok and her house was safe.
NOTHING GREAT HAS EVER BEEN ACHIEVED WITHOUT PASSION - CARRAGHER 23

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2005, 04:51:41 pm »

I remember it took years for them to clear those potential death traps from all the valleys - I can still clearly remember the tips in my valley now.

Still have tips in Rhymney Valley, I live in Llanbradach and they put a drainage system on the tip to prevent what happened at Aberfan, although I'm positive that the tip here is nowhere near the size of the Aberfan tip.

Offline Mystic Red

• Never too old to rock. May roll a bit more, but never too old to rock.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2005, 09:00:48 pm »
I can't sum up exactly how I feel about this, words still fail me.

I was approaching my 13th birthday at the time.

A tragic & devastating day that should never have happened.

The horrors of that day will stay with me & all that witnessed it forever. R.I.P.

Roger. My thoughts are mainly in what in you wrote. It is good to see they have not been forgotten.

Offline Maggie May

• A true Grandmother of Sirs. The Next Vera Lynne. The Pigeon Queen. Lobster Botherer Knockout Champ. RAWK's favourite gog. Belshie Gets Hard For Her. Call that a knife??
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit. Semper Fi
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2005, 09:57:34 pm »
Welshred.   I had no idea there were still tips.  I don't care now big they are or what drainage systems have been put in them, I couldn't be paid enough to live anywhere near one, and its awful that people still have to.
Rather a day as a lion than a lifetime as a sheep.

I can only be nice to one person a day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look too good either.
I tried being reasonable.  I didn't like it.  Old enough to know better.  Young enough not to give a fuck.

Offline Millsee

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2005, 04:26:56 pm »
Terrible terrible disaster.

One of the "good" things to come out of it was a whole new look at the geotechnics behind the storage of colliery waste. Only yesterday I read a report regarding "post-Aberfan technologies".

I think that if it hadn't happened there, it would have happened elsewhere. In an ironic way, the disaster probably helped save thousands more lives.