Author Topic: Merseyside based plumber/boiler man  (Read 2730 times)

Offline The Albert Cock

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Merseyside based plumber/boiler man
« on: October 12, 2005, 02:24:28 pm »
alright, I hope this is the right place for this.

Basically I am having problems with my boiler, its leaking and either needs patching up or even replacing.

Thing is I have had some right fucking cowboys in the past with previous boilers and want to make sure I get a nice fella, keen to fix/replace, get paid well but not rip me off.

So I'm wanting to know is there anyone that the Rawkites can reccommend? I'm living in St Helens if that makes any difference.

cheers

Offline Shanklygates

• This is not a Custom Title.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The runaway train.....
Re: Merseyside based plumber/boiler man
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2005, 08:22:45 pm »
Know the feeling. Hate being ripped off and always go by personal rec now.

I replaced my boiler back in March, also got my cooker fitted when I moved house.

The guy I used was fine - I've recommended him to others and they've said the same. Won't rip you off - tells you want needs doing but will tell you if it's not urgent etc. Won't say stuff needs doing if it doesn't. It's his own company - Corgi registered - he does gas appliances, heating, etc, based in North Liverpool (Anfield) but will probably do St. H I would think. He's always busy but can usually get out in a day or 2 to you - to have a look and if it's a big job he schedules it in to suit.

He's called Steve Brand (Brand Heating & Plumbing, I think is on his van) and his mobile number is 07736 645156

Oh yeah, his family are all blues though!! ;) He'll make jokes about Liverpool but he's not bitter and twisted! (And he'll ask how you got his number - say "Estelle, the one in Anfield, with the cats" told you! Maybe mention this site too, so he knows his number is on here??)

Hope you get it sorted! :wave

Maybe we could have a stickied thread of "Workmen/women who won't rip you off.." etc!!? (Hint, hint mods!) ;D
We are a team of one half.

Offline Big Red Richie

• Thread killer extraordinaire. For future reference the order is T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2005, 10:30:42 pm »
I'm a plumber/gas fitter/heating engineer-installer.

Impossible to make a diagnosis over the web, but just curious.

What make and model of boiler do you have, and where is it leaking from.

The reason I ask is that if the Boiler is over a certain age, and parts are obsolete, then it may have to be replaced anyway, if it's unrepairable.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2005, 11:39:19 pm by Big Red Richie »

Offline The Albert Cock

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2005, 03:19:12 pm »
thanks you 2 (and for pm's i recieved)

the original estimate i got was £1200, but offered us £100 discount, thanks to a recommendation from RAWK I got offered the same job for £950.

To make things even better I got passed a number of a lad in maghull ( i think) who has been around today and fixed it for £110, it just needed 4 parts replacing.

Its a French boiler, I used to do LFC pools and had a customer who was a heating engineer and he said most people in Merseyside wont have much expereince of them, I think thats why so many people just wanted to rip it out and put a new one in!!

I dropped lucky really as the fella who came around said that he has fixed a lot of these, he said its the same part that goes every time and now its fixed it 'should' be fine for a long time yet, fingers crossed eh.

I am the type that will go home tonight now and put it on for 3 houres and lie underneath it looking for any drips to check all is ok!!!! Only because I have just spent my life savings on a new kitchen which is the room below and Im terrified of a big leak that ruins it all!!

thanks again

Offline ewok-red

• Anarchist, potentially violent but lacks bottle.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2005, 09:14:26 am »
good to hear you got it sorted
"the music isn't here to save the world, its there to save your life"  - skip jones, in 'stories we could tell' tony parsons, harper collins / qpd

Offline Big Red Richie

• Thread killer extraordinaire. For future reference the order is T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2005, 12:08:53 am »
For any of you RAWKites with boiler, central heating or plumbing problems, theres a good forum on this site which will fullfill most peoples needs for info and advice.

www.plumbingpages.co.uk