Author Topic: U.S. launches Operation Iron Fist in Iraq  (Read 15853 times)

Offline Roger

• The Derek Acorah of RAWK & Welsh News Correspondent
  • Legacy Fan
U.S. launches Operation Iron Fist in Iraq
« on: October 1, 2005, 11:24:52 am »
BAGHDAD, Iraq (CNN) -- The U.S. military launched Operation Iron Fist in Anbar province early Saturday in an effort to dislodge a stubborn insurgency in western Iraq, a military statement said.

The Marine-led operation is taking place in the town of Sa'da, about 12 miles from the Syrian border, and involves about 1,000 Marines, soldiers and sailors from the Regimental Combat Team-2.

http://edition.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/meast/10/01/iraq.main/index.html

Offline SMD

• Shit streamer. Can't be found by drive man.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: U.S. launches Operation Iron Fist in Iraq
« Reply #1 on: October 1, 2005, 11:40:20 am »
Well, at least there's no spin with that name.
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

Offline Murf

• RAWK Wino
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sir Bob Paisley 10 years gone but not forgotten
« Reply #2 on: October 1, 2005, 01:28:21 pm »
World War 3 shortly, well might as well get pissed again   Sean pass us a few cans please
never forget the 96....... justice   www.contrast.org/hillsborough

NO GAME ON APRIL THE 15th please write to

Rick Parry
Chief Executive
Liverpool Football Club
Anfield Road
Liverpool
L4 0TH

Offline Dread Breath

• Resident Lecter. Convicted of crimes against Andrew Symonds and pensioned off to Australia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: October 1, 2005, 01:45:09 pm »
Christ all mighty, might as well have called it Operation Latex Knuckle.
Blame me for all the draft threads on RAWK

Offline SMD

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: October 1, 2005, 01:46:39 pm »
What gets on my nerves are those people who still think that it's about regime change/weapons of mass destruction/bringing stability to the Middle East and rest of the world.

They're bombing it back to the stone age and I still hear "Bush wants democracy".
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

Offline Dread Breath

• Resident Lecter. Convicted of crimes against Andrew Symonds and pensioned off to Australia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: October 1, 2005, 01:48:53 pm »
What gets on my nerves are those people who still think that it's about regime change/weapons of mass destruction/bringing stability to the Middle East and rest of the world.

They're bombing it back to the stone age and I still hear "Bush wants democracy".

He does want democracy: one Republican four votes.

Offline Sasquatch

• Veteran fingerer of the bad times
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm hairy and very very smelly
« Reply #6 on: October 1, 2005, 01:54:45 pm »
Go on Yanks. Get stuck in there. Bust those fecking insurgent's arses.

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Jagadambe Mata ♡
« Reply #7 on: October 1, 2005, 02:04:07 pm »
Dont be fooled fuckwits!   

Ever noticed your civil liberties being slighty eroded recently?

War on terror = War on personal freedom!   

Knobheads!
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Jagadambe Mata ♡
« Reply #8 on: October 1, 2005, 02:05:06 pm »
Go on Yanks. Get stuck in there. Bust those fecking insurgent's arses.

:tosser

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline SMD

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: October 1, 2005, 02:06:58 pm »

:tosser

I think he's being a teensy bit sarcastic.

Offline jambutty

• The Gok Wan of RAWK. Tripespotting Advocate. Oakley style guru. Hardman St. arl arse, "Ridiculously cool" -Atko- Impending U.S. Civil War Ostrich. Too old to suffer wankers and WUMs on here.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • June 20, 2009. Still no justice for Neda
« Reply #10 on: October 1, 2005, 02:23:31 pm »
What I find really wacky is that the Sunnis,  who are being real pricks at the mo, are the moderate muslims, making my immediate sympathies lie with the shiites, who hate us (westerners) the most.

If you look at the mess that Yugoslavia became after Tito died, you can see that it takes a total bastard like Saddam to keep all those ethnic nutjobs in check.
Kill the humourless

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
  • Jagadambe Mata ♡
« Reply #11 on: October 1, 2005, 02:33:26 pm »
:wave  :wave :wave :wavesympathies lie with the shiites, who hate us (westerners) the most.

If you look at the mess that Yugoslavia became after Tito died, you can see that it takes a total bastard like Saddam to keep all those ethnic nutjobs in check.

SPLITTERS..........!!!         

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline SMD

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: October 1, 2005, 02:34:57 pm »
What I find really wacky is that the Sunnis,  who are being real pricks at the mo, are the moderate muslims, making my immediate sympathies lie with the shiites, who hate us (westerners) the most.

The irony being that all the Iraqi Arabs (i.e. those without allegiance to Iran) wanted Saddam back to hold the country together.

And how are the Sunnis being the pricks?

Offline Dread Breath

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: October 1, 2005, 02:38:33 pm »
Iraq wasn't Iraq until the 20th century: those "Ethnic Nutjobs" in Iraq were previously totally different communities with different cultures/languages etc. Yes Iraq is an ethnic mess in a lot of ways, but so would your country be if the population of England was placed in the nation of France and expected to get along.

Offline Bluto-clause

• ave a go hero, first punch is free
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: October 1, 2005, 02:50:54 pm »
Who would win in a wresteling match between Allah and Lemmy
During the week I check the boxes
At the week-end I fill in the blanks
And when I close my eyes at night
I'm the king of all I survey.

Offline SMD

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: October 1, 2005, 03:39:55 pm »
Iraq wasn't Iraq until the 20th century: those "Ethnic Nutjobs" in Iraq were previously totally different communities with different cultures/languages etc. Yes Iraq is an ethnic mess in a lot of ways, but so would your country be if the population of England was placed in the nation of France and expected to get along.

Technically speaking yes but Iraq has always existed there or thereabouts in terms of it being an area or a province.

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: October 1, 2005, 05:40:46 pm »
Ever noticed your civil liberties being slighty eroded recently?

You mean things like the EU trying to pass a law that will make companies store all your phone calls, e-mails etc because it may help to track terrorists (or perhaps those with the wrong political views) some time in the future.

Orwell didn't know how spot on he was with "1984".

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline SMD

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: October 1, 2005, 05:45:03 pm »
1984 is a bit scary in that it wasn't really a prediction, more of a damning indictment of the bastardisation of political ideas.

No one learns.

Offline Sasquatch

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: October 1, 2005, 06:16:35 pm »
I think he's being a teensy bit sarcastic.

No I'm not. I'm being sarcastic to some of you. ;D Personally I think we should fecking wipe the lot of them out. The rag heads insurgents I mean, not the Yanks. LOL.

Go on Marines. Fecking do the poxy camel jockeys.
« Last Edit: October 1, 2005, 06:20:49 pm by Sasquatch »

Offline SMD

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: October 1, 2005, 06:20:54 pm »
No I'm not. I'm being sarcastic you some of you. Personally I think we should fecking wipe the lot of them out. The rag heads insurgents I mean, not the Yanks. LOL.

Oh, my mistake.

Offline Sasquatch

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: October 1, 2005, 07:31:09 pm »
No probs. ;D

Offline jambutty

• The Gok Wan of RAWK. Tripespotting Advocate. Oakley style guru. Hardman St. arl arse, "Ridiculously cool" -Atko- Impending U.S. Civil War Ostrich. Too old to suffer wankers and WUMs on here.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • June 20, 2009. Still no justice for Neda
« Reply #21 on: October 1, 2005, 07:57:17 pm »
I think we should fecking wipe the lot of them out. The rag heads insurgents I mean, not the Yanks.

Should we do a US Marine thing like kill them all & let God sort 'em out?
Kill the humourless

Offline a partridge in seat_5c

• blames English football
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #22 on: October 1, 2005, 09:15:30 pm »
oooooo how tough arming yourself to the teeth and then embarking on operation Iron Fist
 :o

I bet that took some thinking up

I wonder if there's ever been an operation Big Girly Poof?

Offline Bronx Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: October 1, 2005, 09:19:27 pm »
oooooo how tough arming yourself to the teeth and then embarking on operation Iron Fist
 :o

I bet that took some thinking up

I wonder if there's ever been an operation Big Girly Poof?
That was bloody sunday

Offline Art Vandelay

• a.k.a. Terry Gilliam
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: October 1, 2005, 09:49:57 pm »
They even designed a nice new poster to go with there new campaign.
"And on the pedestal these words appear: 'My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings: Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!' Nothing beside remains."

Offline BIGdavalad

• Major Malfunction. Yearns To Be A Crab! MOD Agony Aunt. Dulldream Believer. Is the proud owner of a one year old login time.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: October 1, 2005, 10:04:10 pm »
The assault won't work, the Coalition don't have enough troops to block every escape route for the insurgents, without leaving other areas unmanned.
Joining Betfair? Use the referral code UHHFL6VHG and we'll both get some extra cash.

All of the above came from my head unless otherwise stated. If you have been affected by the issues raised by my post, please feel free to contact us on 0800 1234567 and we will send you an information pack on manning the fuck up.

Offline Millsee

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: October 1, 2005, 10:17:55 pm »
The assault won't work, the Coalition don't have enough troops to block every escape route for the insurgents, without leaving other areas unmanned.

BDL. Genuine question.

How do you distinguish an "insurgent" from a "pissed off local"?

I admit that I had never heard the former term until the recent invasion.

Offline BIGdavalad

• Major Malfunction. Yearns To Be A Crab! MOD Agony Aunt. Dulldream Believer. Is the proud owner of a one year old login time.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: October 1, 2005, 10:24:17 pm »
BDL. Genuine question.

Since a lot of insurgents probably are pissed off locals, I don't think the two terms are mutually exclusive. Since it's legal to own an Ak in Iraq (although not to have it outside your house or place of work), you can't say that having an assault rifle = terrorist/insurgent as you can in most places. The way I see it, if they point a gun at me, I shoot them. If they don't, I won't.

Insurgent is just a posh name for terrorist IMO, been used in military circles for a long time (Counter Insurgency Operations have been known as that for decades), although "one man's terrorist..." and all that.
Joining Betfair? Use the referral code UHHFL6VHG and we'll both get some extra cash.

All of the above came from my head unless otherwise stated. If you have been affected by the issues raised by my post, please feel free to contact us on 0800 1234567 and we will send you an information pack on manning the fuck up.

Offline Millsee

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: October 1, 2005, 10:28:12 pm »
Since a lot of insurgents probably are pissed off locals, I don't think the two terms are mutually exclusive. Since it's legal to own an Ak in Iraq (although not to have it outside your house or place of work), you can't say that having an assault rifle = terrorist/insurgent as you can in most places. The way I see it, if they point a gun at me, I shoot them. If they don't, I won't.

Insurgent is just a posh name for terrorist IMO, been used in military circles for a long time (Counter Insurgency Operations have been known as that for decades), although "one man's terrorist..." and all that.

Thing is though, are "insurgents" just dressed up locals? Anyone who shows the slightest dissent to the occupation (the term is moot, and for another time) is termed an insurgent.

I accept your simplistic approach - shoot and get shot at - but I worry that all forces are not as noble.

I also am now convinced that there was no masterplan for this ongoing saga from the military leaders.

Offline a partridge in seat_5c

• blames English football
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: October 1, 2005, 10:32:02 pm »
BDL. Genuine question.

the same way you distinguish 2 men in civvies in a foreign country who kill people as "terrorists" as opposed to being "special forces"

by the colour of their skin

Offline BIGdavalad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: October 1, 2005, 10:41:32 pm »
the same way you distinguish 2 men in civvies in a foreign country who kill people as "terrorists" as opposed to being "special forces"

by the colour of their skin

What about the Gurkhas, whos main VDM is being, how to put this?, not white? Or the Ghanain, Bermudan, Jamaican, Fijian, Sierra Leonean lads I worked with, who were, again, not white? Maybe if you know nothing about a subject, it's best not to post about it?

What were the alleged members of the Special Forces captured in Basra and handed over to the Militia doing that makes them terrorists?

Offline BIGdavalad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: October 1, 2005, 10:47:20 pm »
Thing is though, are "insurgents" just dressed up locals? Anyone who shows the slightest dissent to the occupation (the term is moot, and for another time) is termed an insurgent.

I accept your simplistic approach - shoot and get shot at - but I worry that all forces are not as noble.

I also am now convinced that there was no masterplan for this ongoing saga from the military leaders.

Technically, anyone who is not a member of the Armed Forces of a country who fights is an illegal combatant and legally a terrorist (whether this would include the Home Guard or a similar organisation, I'm not certain). Some of the insurgents in Iraq are just pissed off locals, some are pros from all over the Middle East, some are from further afield (the two Royal Signals lads who got killed by a suicide bomber during the Black Watch operations at Camp Dogwood last year were killed by a white guy, not an 'Arab'), so the insurgents are from all over, motivated by all kinds of things from defending their homes from foreign aggression to being pro terrorists who want to fight their Jihad anywhere they can.

There have been a couple of fairly senior former British officers (Colonel Tim Collins being the most high profile) who have been in the media recently with similar comments about plans for a post invasion Iraq. It's a fuck-up, plain and simple, caused by the disbanding of the police and army without any thought about who was going to police the country.

Offline Acaustiq

• Statistically the biggest dick waver and has quotes to prove it. Bitter revisionist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Finally, Danone Actimel cured him.
« Reply #32 on: October 1, 2005, 11:40:39 pm »
Technically, anyone who is not a member of the Armed Forces of a country who fights is an illegal combatant and legally a terrorist (whether this would include the Home Guard or a similar organisation, I'm not certain).

Whilst we're on about technicalities, perhaps you can help me with this; Obviously you're aware of the difference between a war (a very rare thing these days) and a police action, as Iraq was neither of these, what were you actually told it was ?
When your Mum used to pick you up from school and you'd run out and be like 'Mummy I got 9/10 in the spelling test today', would she go 'phenomenal, son'.

Cos if she did she's a stupid fuck.

Offline BIGdavalad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: October 1, 2005, 11:48:19 pm »
Whilst we're on about technicalities, perhaps you can help me with this; Obviously you're aware of the difference between a war (a very rare thing these days) and a police action, as Iraq was neither of these, what were you actually told it was ?

I was told what day I had to be at Brize Norton dressed in some natty sandy coloured clothes for an Operational Deployment.

Do you think soldiers have any choice about where the dickheads in charge of the country send us or what we do when we get there?

war

n 1: the waging of armed conflict against an enemy; "thousands of people were killed in the war" [syn: warfare] 2: a legal state created by a declaration of war and ended by official declaration during which the international rules of war apply; "war was declared in November but actual fighting did not begin until the following spring" [syn: state of war] [ant: peace] 3: an active struggle between competing entities; "a price war"; "a war of wits"; "diplomatic warfare" [syn: warfare] 4: a concerted campaign to end something that is injurious; "the war on poverty"; "the war against crime" v : make or wage war [ant: make peace]

Sounds like Iraq to me.

Offline Acaustiq

• Statistically the biggest dick waver and has quotes to prove it. Bitter revisionist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Finally, Danone Actimel cured him.
« Reply #34 on: October 2, 2005, 12:11:13 am »
Do you think soldiers have any choice about where the dickheads in charge of the country send us or what we do when we get there?

Never said you did.

Sounds like Iraq to me.

Plucking things out of a dictionary is one thing but we both know in order to actually be at war, the ruler of one side has to sign a formal declaration thereof.

2: a legal state created by a declaration of war and ended by official declaration during which the international rules of war apply; "war was declared in November but actual fighting did not begin until the following spring"

'operational deployment' is an interesting phrase though, was this at the 'start' or some way in ?
When your Mum used to pick you up from school and you'd run out and be like 'Mummy I got 9/10 in the spelling test today', would she go 'phenomenal, son'.

Cos if she did she's a stupid fuck.

Offline saltynuts

• I need to be loved
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thank you
« Reply #35 on: October 2, 2005, 12:55:18 am »
Going operational is going operational, wether it's at the start of a conflict or a few months before it ends, nothing interesting about it, it's effectively the Army's way of saying your training and all those wet and windy days spent on the rifle range may come into practice.

I was told we'd be going into southern Iraq on operations, Bush and Blairs motives? you already know. Makes no difference to us, we have a job to do, we get breifed on it and do our best to do the job required.
"You'll Never Walk Alone"

Offline saltynuts

• I need to be loved
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thank you
« Reply #36 on: October 2, 2005, 12:56:53 am »
No I'm not. I'm being sarcastic to some of you. ;D Personally I think we should fecking wipe the lot of them out. The rag heads insurgents I mean, not the Yanks. LOL.

Bit extreme that if you ask me.....

Offline saltynuts

• I need to be loved
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thank you
« Reply #37 on: October 2, 2005, 01:17:53 am »

One will want to kill you and another one will hit you with their shoe or throw stones and give you abuse......I don't beleive for one second all locals want to kill us, they might not want us there, but, from my experience anyway, most don't want to kill us. Thats what separates the two in my opinion, with Insurgents going to extremes like suicide bombs, the production of IED's and just general hostile attacks with small arms.....and they generally come from all over, Just general terrorism and being a resistance force or group, whilst a pissed off local with give you a peice of his mind like.....or it could end up as an extreme situation and a riot may occur, i.e. the police staion incident where the Warrior was petrol bombed. I wouldn't call that "insurgancy" though, just a public order situation.

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #38 on: October 2, 2005, 02:17:05 am »
George W Bush has put us in a Vietnam/Northen Ireland situation beyond our wildest dreams.
I fully supported the 1st Gulf war, but the 2nd war to me reeks of unfinished business. I can just imagine Bush Senior and Junior sitting around a thanks giving feast with their families, and George senior saying " hey son finish the job I should have done, and while your at it put the rest of the Goddamn world to right.."

I have a massive respect to all our British armed forces and what they do, but I have a bigger distrust of America's motives in this joke of a "so called war", in using our forces as cannon fodder/ pawns in their so called "quest for freedom, war against terror", and what worries me more so is they, Bush and his puppets ain't finished yet...

« Last Edit: October 2, 2005, 02:19:19 am by Terry DeNiro »

Offline WOOLTONIAN

• The Garston Gasworks XI.....aka "Beryl".....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Brodrick ; Vice Admiral of the Reds
« Reply #39 on: October 2, 2005, 09:17:17 am »
Well, at least there's no spin with that name.

Wasn't the "Fist of God" book, based on an Iraqi weapon of mass destruction ?
Christ, dont tell me they invaded after reading the book.
Living descendant of Sir Thomas Brodrick, Vice Admiral of the Red in the 18th Century