Author Topic: Hoodies = Children of Thatcher  (Read 12583 times)

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
Hoodies = Children of Thatcher
« on: September 27, 2005, 11:43:16 am »
There is a lot of hysteria surrounding hoodies terrorising our streets in the news at the moment. I am of course refering to the adolecents with nothing better to do than buy (steel) fake designer clothing and sit on benches in town centres with a litre bottle of White Lightning in hand. They are quite a repugnant section of the community, seemingly with little regard for manners of basic social protocal. Who else would scream at an old lady in the street?!  :-\

But what motivates this purculiar crowd? What culture are they reflecting/representing? Why are they apparently without basic social graces? And why do they ostntatiously wear their designer gear as a symbol of status?

The answer: Thatcher's Britain.

Generally speaking hoodies are a product of certain sections of the working classes - that is without doubt. But why is it that the working classes do not have a long history of creating such a set of underclass urchins? Why are hoodies such a relatively new phenomenon?

In my mind what Thatcher did with the working class is responsible for this modern day maliase in society. Her basic premise when in government was to reduce government and encourage private ownership and improve individual wealth - not necessaily a bad thing on the face of it. However, while selling off council houses on the cheap and establishing a generation of yuppies and nuveau riche she failed to put an emphasis on education. Material gain was first and spiritual development was nowhere.

As a result Thatcher created a monster. People were able to make money but were not being educated properly - their sense of morality had been irreversibly chatised. People's value system revolved around how much money they could make. Thatcher told us that "There was no such thing as society". In essence what she was saying was that your neighbour isn't important - the self is important and material betterment at the expense of your neighbour is important. The new breed of moneid yuppies would wear their wealth on their sleeves in the clothers they wore and the car they drove. People's vlues were in the gutter.

So how do you link this with modern day hoody cluture? Well the chldren of many who profitted from the Eighties spiritual vacuum are largely the ones you will see sat on street beches with Burberry caps on and sovereign rings on their fingers - their material status is there for all to see - because that's what matter isn't it? As long as you look good then the person next to you can fuck off, they're not important. So you can treat that person like shit, pay them no respect.

Thanks for the legacy Thatch!!! :no

Just a thought...
« Last Edit: September 27, 2005, 11:50:31 am by Fitzyboy »

Offline hooded claw

• Foiled by the Anthill Mob
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
Re: Chelsea = Children of Thatcher
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2005, 11:44:27 am »
Nowt like a good autoreplace...

Offline anon-y-mouse

• Legacy Fan
Re: Chelsea = Children of Thatcher
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2005, 11:44:28 am »
Although I dislike chelsea immensely it's hardly fair to blame them for muggings and robberies. :D

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
Re: Hoodies = Children of Thatcher
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2005, 11:46:11 am »
What's that all about - stick with hoodies then!

hoonin

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2005, 11:50:13 am »
This is a joke, right?

Offline Fitzy.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2005, 11:52:16 am »
This is a joke, right?

No. Thatcher ignited the spiritual decay in society and modern day Britain reflects this.

Offline BIGdavalad

• Major Malfunction. Yearns To Be A Crab! MOD Agony Aunt. Dulldream Believer. Is the proud owner of a one year old login time.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2005, 11:53:46 am »
No. Thatcher ignited the spiritual decay in society and modern day Britain reflects this.

Why didn't the current problems with hoodies start in 1993 when the kids born in 1979 turned 13/14 then?
Joining Betfair? Use the referral code UHHFL6VHG and we'll both get some extra cash.

All of the above came from my head unless otherwise stated. If you have been affected by the issues raised by my post, please feel free to contact us on 0800 1234567 and we will send you an information pack on manning the fuck up.

Offline 5FTH

• <--
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2005, 11:55:18 am »
I also blame tucking  trackie bottoms into white socks on Thatcher as well - the auld witch!

Offline Fitzy.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2005, 12:05:52 pm »
Why didn't the current problems with hoodies start in 1993 when the kids born in 1979 turned 13/14 then?

25-35 year olds in the Eighties will have had kids which are now teenagers. I'm not talking about people born in the 80s, but the children on the benficiaries of Thatcher's Britain.

Offline BIGdavalad

• Major Malfunction. Yearns To Be A Crab! MOD Agony Aunt. Dulldream Believer. Is the proud owner of a one year old login time.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2005, 12:13:24 pm »
25-35 year olds in the Eighties will have had kids which are now teenagers. I'm not talking about people born in the 80s, but the children on the benficiaries of Thatcher's Britain.

What about Major and Blair? They've had longer in power than Thatcher did, why aren't they to blame for not fixing Thatcher's mistakes?
Joining Betfair? Use the referral code UHHFL6VHG and we'll both get some extra cash.

All of the above came from my head unless otherwise stated. If you have been affected by the issues raised by my post, please feel free to contact us on 0800 1234567 and we will send you an information pack on manning the fuck up.

Offline Zeppelin

• Funds hate.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hammer of the Gods
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2005, 01:01:19 pm »
I am of course refering to the adolecents with nothing better to do than buy (steel) fake designer clothing

They must be hard if they're wearing metal clothes - I wouldn't argue with them.

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Jagadambe Mata ♡
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2005, 01:20:08 pm »
There is a lot of hysteria surrounding hoodies terrorising our streets in the news at the moment. I am of course refering to the adolecents with nothing better to do than buy (steel) fake designer clothing and sit on benches in town centres with a litre bottle of White Lightning in hand. They are quite a repugnant section of the community, seemingly with little regard for manners of basic social protocal. Who else would scream at an old lady in the street?!  :-\

But what motivates this purculiar crowd? What culture are they reflecting/representing? Why are they apparently without basic social graces? And why do they ostntatiously wear their designer gear as a symbol of status?

The answer: Thatcher's Britain.

Generally speaking hoodies are a product of certain sections of the working classes - that is without doubt. But why is it that the working classes do not have a long history of creating such a set of underclass urchins? Why are hoodies such a relatively new phenomenon?

In my mind what Thatcher did with the working class is responsible for this modern day maliase in society. Her basic premise when in government was to reduce government and encourage private ownership and improve individual wealth - not necessaily a bad thing on the face of it. However, while selling off council houses on the cheap and establishing a generation of yuppies and nuveau riche she failed to put an emphasis on education. Material gain was first and spiritual development was nowhere.

As a result Thatcher created a monster. People were able to make money but were not being educated properly - their sense of morality had been irreversibly chatised. People's value system revolved around how much money they could make. Thatcher told us that "There was no such thing as society". In essence what she was saying was that your neighbour isn't important - the self is important and material betterment at the expense of your neighbour is important. The new breed of moneid yuppies would wear their wealth on their sleeves in the clothers they wore and the car they drove. People's vlues were in the gutter.

So how do you link this with modern day hoody cluture? Well the chldren of many who profitted from the Eighties spiritual vacuum are largely the ones you will see sat on street beches with Burberry caps on and sovereign rings on their fingers - their material status is there for all to see - because that's what matter isn't it? As long as you look good then the person next to you can fuck off, they're not important. So you can treat that person like shit, pay them no respect.

Thanks for the legacy Thatch!!! :no

Just a thought...

Problem - Reaction - Solution!
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline jambutty

• The Gok Wan of RAWK. Tripespotting Advocate. Oakley style guru. Hardman St. arl arse, "Ridiculously cool" -Atko- Impending U.S. Civil War Ostrich. Too old to suffer wankers and WUMs on here.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • June 20, 2009. Still no justice for Neda
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2005, 01:28:09 pm »
Reminds me of a time when an old auntie of mine was forced to watch MTV cos' her granddaughter was in a segment running every day for a week.  She was so repulsed by the kids wearing their baseball caps backwards.  She thought they should all be arrested.

The hoody is the uniform of the insecure.  They're comfortable, warm, cocooning and anonymous  They hide the zits, unfashionable shirts and bad hair.
Kill the humourless

Offline Millsee

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2005, 01:31:23 pm »
Is Thatcher responsible for the running riots on Brighton beach during the 60s? Or the punks of the 70s and so on and so on.

The yoof of any particular generation is marked by a particular clothing style and this one is no different.

Youth crime is actually falling, when overall detection rates are on the increase. But then, that wouldn't fit in with your theory....

Offline Monkey Red

• Jacques Cousteau
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Just add salty water
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2005, 01:31:37 pm »
Hoods are for Executioners and the Condemned!  ;)
'It'll whisper to them of Liverpools five glorious European Cup victories"

Offline kevindublin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2005, 01:43:23 pm »
she's a fuckin bithch allright that Thatcher.

Im gonna take me hoodie outside and burn it in protest

Offline Fitzy.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2005, 01:46:51 pm »
Is Thatcher responsible for the running riots on Brighton beach during the 60s? Or the punks of the 70s and so on and so on.

The yoof of any particular generation is marked by a particular clothing style and this one is no different.

Youth crime is actually falling, when overall detection rates are on the increase. But then, that wouldn't fit in with your theory....

Like them or not, punks have very strong principles about the State and general status quo - it's called anarchy, not mindless street violence, a sincere movement with a strong belief system. The riots of the 60s were a reaction to social injustice. Two very crude and unfair comparisons.

Offline Fitzy.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2005, 01:49:31 pm »

Also, youth crime is not at the heart of what I'm saying. It's about principles and values. Like it or not,modern day society is a vacuum of these things.

Offline BIGdavalad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2005, 01:50:13 pm »
Like them or not, punks have very strong principles about the State and general status quo - it's called anarchy, not mindless street violence, a sincere movement with a strong belief system. The riots of the 60s were a reaction to social injustice. Two very crude and unfair comparisons.

What about Thatcher's strong belief system and principles? Why are on group of people allowed to have them and another isn't?

Offline ttnbd

• RAWK Chief Financial Officer
  • Legacy Fan
  • ANFIELD4EVER
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2005, 01:51:00 pm »
So 15 years or so since thatcher quit she is still being blamed for all the wrongs of today. I am suprised no one has blamed the iraq conflict on her.
So all say thanks to the Shanks

He never walked alone

Lets sing our song for all the world

From this his Liverpool home

Offline Monkey Red

• Jacques Cousteau
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Just add salty water
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2005, 01:53:36 pm »
I canīt believe that youth crime is down, itīs most probably due to a lot of crime not even being reported.

Offline Millsee

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2005, 01:55:33 pm »
I canīt believe that youth crime is down, itīs most probably due to a lot of crime not even being reported.

Detection rates ae improving - one reason for the "increase" in crimes in other areas.

Offline Danny Boys Dad

• Errol Flynn when he's had a few
  • Legacy Fan
  • Now listen here son
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2005, 02:01:04 pm »
Hoodies = Children

You'd think that "hoodies" or similar was a new thing, but it isn't. When I was a lad we used to wear those snorkel parkas that had a fur bit that could be extended out to cover the face almost entirely. Same thing as a "hoodie" and nobody liked it then either. Just as daft-looking as well.

I was flicking through last season's CL semi programme and in the "Kop n goal" section was a snippet of the Echo from about 1974 which reported gangs of youths terrorising people in Sefton Park.

If you read your history you can find accounts of young men in victorian times all wearing fancy waistcoats and going round terrorising polite society.

It's always happened, it's nothing new, just a load of media hype and sensationalism.
Legacy fan

Offline Fitzy.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2005, 02:08:34 pm »
Hoodies = Children

You'd think that "hoodies" or similar was a new thing, but it isn't. When I was a lad we used to wear those snorkel parkas that had a fur bit that could be extended out to cover the face almost entirely. Same thing as a "hoodie" and nobody liked it then either. Just as daft-looking as well.

I was flicking through last season's CL semi programme and in the "Kop n goal" section was a snippet of the Echo from about 1974 which reported gangs of youths terrorising people in Sefton Park.

If you read your history you can find accounts of young men in victorian times all wearing fancy waistcoats and going round terrorising polite society.

It's always happened, it's nothing new, just a load of media hype and sensationalism.

Fair poit. But recent sociologicl studies have shown a change in working class behaviour. Of course deprived groups will rebel, and always have done, but I believe there to be a more profound alteration in value systems over the past 20 years or so.  There is no doubt, in my mind, that hatcher created certai conditions that have resulted in the overt materialism that exists today.

Offline Danny Boys Dad

• Legacy Fan
  • Now listen here son
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2005, 02:13:29 pm »
Fair poit. But recent sociologicl studies have shown a change in working class behaviour. Of course deprived groups will rebel, and always have done, but I believe there to be a more profound alteration in value systems over the past 20 years or so.  There is no doubt, in my mind, that hatcher created certai conditions that have resulted in the overt materialism that exists today.

You can't just say that it is a working class phenomenon though, it's just as much middle and upper classes, although the media doesn't like to admit it.
If you look at "problems" caused by youths in middle class areas you generally find that they are youths from middle class backgrounds, not working class youths from other areas.
Legacy fan

Offline Monkey Red

• Jacques Cousteau
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Just add salty water
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2005, 02:14:29 pm »
When I was a kid in England, in the late 60īs and 70īs, you could leave your back door open (No pun intended!) and not get your house broken into, it was always open. I know itīs a cliche, but itīs true. Nobody would dream of that today.

Offline Danny Boys Dad

• Legacy Fan
  • Now listen here son
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2005, 02:18:18 pm »
When I was a kid in England, in the late 60īs and 70īs, you could leave your back door open (No pun intended!) and not get your house broken into, it was always open. I know itīs a cliche, but itīs true. Nobody would dream of that today.

That's just not true. We got burgled in the late 60's and so did lots of other people.

Legacy fan

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Jagadambe Mata ♡
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2005, 02:18:47 pm »
What about Major and Blair? They've had longer in power than Thatcher did, why aren't they to blame for not fixing Thatcher's mistakes?

Funny thing is It's the same people in power! 

:wave
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline Veinticinco de Mayo

• Almost as nice as Hellmans and cheaper too! Feedback tourist #57. President of ZATAA.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In an aeroplane over RAWK
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2005, 02:19:07 pm »

That's cos you had nowt worth nicking (only half  ;)
Tweeting shit about LFC @kevhowson Tweeting shit about music @GigMonkey2
Bill Shankly - 'The socialism I believe in is not really politics; it is humanity, a way of living and sharing the rewards'

Offline Millsee

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2005, 02:19:43 pm »

Have you any evidence to back this up?

Offline Monkey Red

• Jacques Cousteau
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Just add salty water
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2005, 02:20:41 pm »
That's just not true. We got burgled in the late 60's and so did lots of other people.

Well, all I can say is, everybody in our street was able to leave the back door open all day, and no-one broke in. Maybe because they knew we were paupers!

Offline Monkey Red

• Jacques Cousteau
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Just add salty water
« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2005, 02:21:32 pm »
That's cos you had nowt worth nicking (only half  ;)
Beat me to it! ;D

Offline adopted_scouser

• Whooooosssshhh!!!
  • Legacy Fan
  • I don't like cats.
« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2005, 04:26:55 pm »
What else are we going to do to cover out hats while it's raining?
She keeps getting texts off him saying "Oh please take me back, I love you and I'm still not over you". We read them together naked and then we laugh about it. Then she blows me off.

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
    • Terry O'Shea @184tosh
« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2005, 04:32:20 pm »
What else are we going to do to cover out hats while it's raining?

Why wear a fucking hat if you've got to cover it?.... ???

Offline adopted_scouser

• Whooooosssshhh!!!
  • Legacy Fan
  • I don't like cats.
« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2005, 04:33:06 pm »
Why wear a fucking hat if you've got to cover it?.... ???

Because, if you bought it from birkenhead market, and the material is cheap, it will dissolve :wave
She keeps getting texts off him saying "Oh please take me back, I love you and I'm still not over you". We read them together naked and then we laugh about it. Then she blows me off.

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
    • Terry O'Shea @184tosh
« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2005, 04:35:06 pm »
Because, if you bought it from birkenhead market, and the material is cheap, it will dissolve :wave

Well don't buy them from Birkenhead market, and don't tell me everyone buys them from there...

Offline cornelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Beware the beast man, for he is the Devil's pawn"
« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2005, 04:35:47 pm »
It's easier to destroy than create. Anyone following that slag was gonna find it difficult. Besides which Major was really just a watered down continuation. Blair's the one who's had it all to do.

I'd say in that time the economy has been decent enough but I don't think we'll see a brilliant public transport system for years and years which is hardly Tony Blair's fault is it?

Hospitals and schools - well who was it that shut so many of the fuckers? Slaggy Thatcher and her snotty fucking government that's who.

What a set of contemptemble reptiles they all were. The only good thing that came out of those c*nts was Spitting Image on a Sunday night.

Blair might not be everyone's cup of tea (and God knows he gets on my tits sometimes) but Gordon Brown seems like a decent chap and he'll soon be in power.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2005, 04:39:18 pm by vladallover »

Offline ttnbd

• Legacy Fan
  • ANFIELD4EVER
« Reply #37 on: September 27, 2005, 04:45:44 pm »
Blair can take his share of blame on transport. Ģ37bn raised in road tax and fuel duty while only Ģ7bn spent on transport. While the economy was actually picking up in the last couple of years of the tories then brown just used the tory plans in labours first term since then he has been running deficits in his budgets with his forecast for this years growth being one of his mess ups

He never walked alone

Offline cornelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Beware the beast man, for he is the Devil's pawn"
« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2005, 05:02:13 pm »
Blair can take his share of blame on transport. Ģ37bn raised in road tax and fuel duty while only Ģ7bn spent on transport.
That's a fair enough point.

I do think that the public transport needs more than money thrown at it though. There's a whole myriad of reasons why it's not very good.

When I get quoted over Ģ60 for a return train to London why is that? It's because some greedy c*nt is running the lines.

It's very dificult to undo some of the tory damage IMO.

Spitting Image was ace though, don't you agree?
« Last Edit: September 27, 2005, 05:04:22 pm by vladallover »

Offline ttnbd

• Legacy Fan
  • ANFIELD4EVER
« Reply #39 on: September 27, 2005, 05:15:35 pm »
Don't remember too much of it really. I do agree though that it needs more than money to correct it but while the government are getting so much tax revenue from motorists they won't do a thing about it

He never walked alone