Author Topic: The RAWK Film Thread  (Read 3516022 times)

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
Re: The RAWK Film Thread
« Reply #44080 on: December 19, 2016, 03:40:38 pm »

Offline martinsquirtle

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44081 on: December 19, 2016, 03:58:22 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/GDscTTE-P-k" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/GDscTTE-P-k</a>

New bladerunner teaser, will be interesting to see how this turns out as Villeneuve is a very good director

Offline Beav

• Football is impatient. Loves Vader's Helmet.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44082 on: December 19, 2016, 04:06:13 pm »
Looks gorgeous.
Twitter:  http://twitter.com/__Beav

Ah. Another Manchester United fan crashes out from the woodwork like a bemused koala that has taken three hits of crystal meth.

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
« Reply #44083 on: December 19, 2016, 04:32:05 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/GDscTTE-P-k" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/GDscTTE-P-k</a>

New bladerunner teaser, will be interesting to see how this turns out as Villeneuve is a very good director

However good it may be, it is an abomination.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline CrasherKid79

• Crashedandburnedkid2017
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #44084 on: December 19, 2016, 07:14:52 pm »

I'm not even a Blade Runner fan but judging on every other sequal trailing in 30 odd years after the original it could range anywhere from adequate to completely gash .... it certainly won't be as good or better.

You need a George Miller for that.

Offline Beav

• Football is impatient. Loves Vader's Helmet.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44085 on: December 19, 2016, 07:50:11 pm »
I'm not even a Blade Runner fan but judging on every other sequal trailing in 30 odd years after the original it could range anywhere from adequate to completely gash .... it certainly won't be as good or better.

You need a George Miller for that.

Feel if anyone's going to buck that trend, its Denis Villeneuve.
Twitter:  http://twitter.com/__Beav

Ah. Another Manchester United fan crashes out from the woodwork like a bemused koala that has taken three hits of crystal meth.

Offline Pelé as a Comedian

• The seeker of the True Cockroach. Forgetful.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44086 on: December 20, 2016, 12:05:00 am »
However good it may be, it is an abomination.

nahh, speaking as a huge PKD and Blade Runner fan, the world created simply deserves bigger and wider cinematic exposure.
much like George Lucas relinquishing his stranglehold control over Star Wars was needed i hope for many more Blade Runner movies and i'll happily take the bad with the good.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2016, 12:06:50 am by Pelé as a Comedian »

Offline 'Mondzz'

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #44087 on: December 20, 2016, 12:07:06 am »

Cineworld are doing an unlimited screener of Manchester by Sea on the 9th of Jan....along with La La Land on the 8th and Live by Night on the 5th...I've booked all three :wave

Might have to go for that if these screeners dont pop up soon!
THOSE AREN'T FINGERS. THOSE ARE SCARF TASSELLS.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #44088 on: December 20, 2016, 03:14:17 am »
My expectations for the new Blade Runner are pretty high. They've got the right guy for the job. Not only is he one of the most talented directors around, but he also happens to already mastered exactly the right aesthetic for a Blade Runner movie.

If he has a good script to work with, he'll knock it out of the park.

I don't know if it'll be better than the original though. It's kinda hard to improve on such a sci-fi classic.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44089 on: December 20, 2016, 08:26:58 am »
Just upped now, should be everywhere else soon. 8)

American.Honey.2016.HDRip.XviD.AC3-EVO

Great movie.

Offline 'Mondzz'

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #44090 on: December 20, 2016, 11:29:32 am »
Watched a documentary called Hoop Dreams last night. One of the best doc's I've seen, got a bit of the Wire vibe to it.

Highly recommended. Don't be put off by the year (1994) or the runtime (3 hours) it flew by. Currently on Netflix as well.

Offline 'Mondzz'

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #44091 on: December 20, 2016, 12:10:10 pm »
Deepwater.Horizon.2016.720p.WEB-DL.X264.AC3-EVO

The.Birth.of.a.Nation.2016.HDRip.XviD.AC3-EVO

The.Autopsy.of.Jane.Doe.2016.HDRip.XviD.AC3-EVO

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44092 on: December 20, 2016, 01:18:10 pm »
Feel if anyone's going to buck that trend, its Denis Villeneuve.
He won't.

The original was lightening in a bottle, captured almost unintentionally. The struggle to make Blade Runner is what made it what it is. I've a feeling that this film will be doing nothing but trying it's hardest to recapture what made the original the film that it is, and be in danger of veering into fan service territory, which it already essentially is just by virtue of existing.

A bit like - dare I even say it - the latest Star Wars cash gr...I mean, sequels and prequels.

Offline Haemoglobin

• The Phantom Drive-By Dunker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
« Reply #44093 on: December 20, 2016, 01:30:48 pm »
nahh, speaking as a huge PKD and Blade Runner fan, the world created simply deserves bigger and wider cinematic exposure.
much like George Lucas relinquishing his stranglehold control over Star Wars was needed i hope for many more Blade Runner movies and i'll happily take the bad with the good.
Yeah... no.
"under-promise and over-deliver"

Offline Haemoglobin

• Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
« Reply #44094 on: December 20, 2016, 01:43:51 pm »
The original was lightening in a bottle, captured almost unintentionally. The struggle to make Blade Runner is what made it what it is. I've a feeling that this film will be doing nothing but trying it's hardest to recapture what made the original the film that it is, and be in danger of veering into fan service territory, which it already essentially is just by virtue of existing.
Precisely. It is frankly impossible to match or better, because it - well, The Director's Cut(s) - somehow reaches a unique perfection, and not entirely by conscious design.

This sequel might well be a very good film in its own right (I'm still quite doubtful), but it simply can't be what the original turned out to be or superior.

Blade Runner (TDK) is in a class with Scott's other early masterpiece Alien and 2001 (which had massively influenced him) as a timelessly great sci-fi film which also broke all sorts of new ground, and inspired waves of imitators. They were pioneering works of art, first and foremost, changing how those kinds of films were made forever, while also being a brilliant tale told brilliantly in a brilliantly fleshed-out created world. These types of films are as close to 'peerless' as you can get.

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #44095 on: December 20, 2016, 02:05:17 pm »
Blade Runner will always be Blade Runner. Making a prequel/sequel/spin off shouldn't change that for anyone.

If the new one's shite, fuck it. If it's boss, brilliant. If it's average, forget it.

Prior to the Arrival I had no hope at all for it but now I do. Villeneuve gave us a glimpse of a seemingly original voice, maybe he'll surprise a few of the naysayers, and if he doesn't? Who gives a fuck as we'll all still have the original!

Offline Haemoglobin

• Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
« Reply #44096 on: December 20, 2016, 02:17:36 pm »
It won't erase the original from history, but it defo has the power to retroactively mess with the original's story. The only way you can negate that is by totally putting the sequel(s)' "canon" out of your mind, rejecting their contribution entirely.

It's not just being precious, it's something for artists to very carefully consider the worth of going ahead and doing when dealing with beloved returning characters, rather than exploring the world further with new characters telling new stories (I've not much of an issue at all with that).

Also, a beautifully self-contained story degrading into a swathe of cash-in sequels will always be quite a sorry sight to behold. Star Wars can sort of survive that as at its heart it's quite trashy young fun, but you can easily push it too far with those sorts of properties too.

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44097 on: December 20, 2016, 03:55:15 pm »

Star Wars was conceived as an episode in a longer story. Blade Runner is perfectly self contained with a beginning middle and end, it's structured to pose one question and leave you to think about that. There's no point at all in a sequel. All it can do is restate the same question, or, more likely, just be a pointless exercise.
More stories in that world? Fine, but it's not that, it's bringing back Decker and just by doing that it shits on the original. Now we know that he doesn't have an expiry. Thanks a fucking bunch. Ruined.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline Skidder.

• Minster. Aka The Censored Baron XII. I remember watching that as a skid!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #44098 on: December 20, 2016, 04:58:51 pm »
I'm quite looking forward to Bladerunner - I only hope that the producers don't go overboard on the CGI.

The beauty of Bladerunner lies within how it was crafted. There are a lot of gimmickry employed in the original, but the whole backdrop was beautiful.

Thing is, Blade Runner was a self-contained story - how they will weave any kind of story within the universe will be interesting.
Continually on 11,420.

Online Zee_26

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #44099 on: December 20, 2016, 05:48:39 pm »
Is Vangelis doing the music for the new Blade Runner?

It's crazy how much the music added to the atmosphere in the original film.

Offline CrasherKid79

• Crashedandburnedkid2017
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44100 on: December 20, 2016, 06:33:51 pm »
I'm quite looking forward to Bladerunner - I only hope that the producers don't go overboard on the CGI.

The beauty of Bladerunner lies within how it was crafted. There are a lot of gimmickry employed in the original, but the whole backdrop was beautiful.

Thing is, Blade Runner was a self-contained story - how they will weave any kind of story within the universe will be interesting.

See Terminator for how you can really f*** up an amazing, original story .... infact I can't explain where it is or what it's about 5 films later.  :(

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44101 on: December 20, 2016, 09:31:25 pm »
You can at least say its something very different.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/8uPK9Ov6Zd4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/8uPK9Ov6Zd4</a>

That looks brilliant
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #44102 on: December 20, 2016, 09:54:29 pm »
Star Wars was conceived as an episode in a longer story. Blade Runner is perfectly self contained with a beginning middle and end, it's structured to pose one question and leave you to think about that. There's no point at all in a sequel. All it can do is restate the same question, or, more likely, just be a pointless exercise.
More stories in that world? Fine, but it's not that, it's bringing back Decker and just by doing that it shits on the original. Now we know that he doesn't have an expiry. Thanks a fucking bunch. Ruined.

Well, you didn't even remember his name was Deckard, so there's that.

Anyway, I don't think the fact that Deckard is in the movie conclusively tells us anything at this point.

The movie is in very good hands, so why not give it a shot before shooting it down?

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #44103 on: December 20, 2016, 09:56:48 pm »
I've never seen blade runner...

How have I managed that??
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #44104 on: December 20, 2016, 09:58:00 pm »

You're dead to me.

Offline Nessy76

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #44105 on: December 20, 2016, 10:04:11 pm »
Well, you didn't even remember his name was Deckard, so there's that.

Anyway, I don't think the fact that Deckard is in the movie conclusively tells us anything at this point.

The movie is in very good hands, so why not give it a shot before shooting it down?

I won't be seeing it.
I've explained why.

(And yes, soon as I wrote that I was thinking "It's Deckard" to myself, well spotted!)
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline gerrardsarmy

• Wouldn't say no to a spanking
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44106 on: December 20, 2016, 11:27:24 pm »
Is Vangelis doing the music for the new Blade Runner?

It's crazy how much the music added to the atmosphere in the original film.

No.

Jóhann Jóhannsson is doing the music. He's worked with the director before on Prisoners, Sicario, and Arrival.   
“I always think that there’s something unpleasant lurking in people who avoid drinking, gambling, table-talk and pretty women. People like that are either sick or secretly hate their fellow-men.”

Offline gerrardsarmy

• Wouldn't say no to a spanking
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44107 on: December 20, 2016, 11:33:28 pm »
I think Blade Runner is setup to be great.

It's got a great director in Villeneuve. Deakins as DP. Gosling is a tick. Harrison Ford is a tick. I've rated Jóhannsson's scores in Sicario and Arrival (didn't notice it in Prisoners). It's got one of the original screenwriters, along with a promising one - who can probably be judged more after the upcoming Alien movie.

If nothing else; it's going to look amazing with Deakins and Villeneuve.   
“I always think that there’s something unpleasant lurking in people who avoid drinking, gambling, table-talk and pretty women. People like that are either sick or secretly hate their fellow-men.”

Offline wordroam

• Anny Roader
« Reply #44108 on: December 21, 2016, 01:18:49 am »
I won't be seeing it.
I've explained why.

(And yes, soon as I wrote that I was thinking "It's Deckard" to myself, well spotted!)

Have a look at the sequel to Monsters.

Should have been pointless for the same reasons as Bladerunner 2 but - conceptually at least - they got away with it.

Offline Nessy76

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #44109 on: December 21, 2016, 01:44:27 am »
Have a look at the sequel to Monsters.

Should have been pointless for the same reasons as Bladerunner 2 but - conceptually at least - they got away with it.

Haven't seen that one yet, enjoyed the original though.
No.

Jóhann Jóhannsson is doing the music. He's worked with the director before on Prisoners, Sicario, and Arrival.   

The score for Arrival was excellent, too. By all accounts it's got a lot going for it, but I'll pass all the same.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #44110 on: December 21, 2016, 02:17:45 am »
I think Blade Runner is setup to be great.

It's got a great director in Villeneuve. Deakins as DP. Gosling is a tick. Harrison Ford is a tick. I've rated Jóhannsson's scores in Sicario and Arrival (didn't notice it in Prisoners). It's got one of the original screenwriters, along with a promising one - who can probably be judged more after the upcoming Alien movie.

If nothing else; it's going to look amazing with Deakins and Villeneuve.   

I'm just a tad concerned by the writing team.

IMO the writing will be the hardest part to get right. There are a lot of competing priorities for a movie like this. Blade Runner is such a sci-fi classic that there'll be an urge for the writing to contain as much gravity as the original. That will be an extremely tough ask and possibly a mistake, because in this cynical day and age, it's difficult to get away with stuff like the 'tears in the rain' speech without being met by a chorus of snickering. The other thing they'll want it to be, I think, is for it to be commercially viable. However great and and independent an original film might be, a sequel isn't going to be made for the purposes of losing money. I think that's why they've brought in Michael Green, whom as you mentioned is doing the new Alien movie, but also Logan. So his next few movies read like they're all sequels/reboots with emotional/philosophical gravitas. Clearly Hollywood has a lot of faith in him to take on such big projects, but I haven't seen any of his other work so far. He's worked on a lot of shows like Gotham, Smallville and Heroes, none of which I have any interest in, and which suggest to me that the producers are mining his geek appeal for all they're worth. For what it's worth, the one movie he has written before was Green Lantern, which by all accounts was unmitigated trash.

For me, as the veteran of all of 4 of Villeneuve's 9 feature films so far, I think the director is someone that could benefit from better writers than he's worked with in three of his last four movies. They've all been good movies, to be sure, but with the exception of Enemy, they've all left me wanting something more in terms of emotional/intellectual payoff. I think this has been due to consistently under-delivered third acts, which haven't done justice to the generally gripping and beautifully made first two acts. I hope Michael Green will be able to deliver a screenplay worthy of the name.

Offline Haemoglobin

• Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
« Reply #44111 on: December 21, 2016, 02:55:30 am »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/n3AVpLZpDsg" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/n3AVpLZpDsg</a>

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #44112 on: December 21, 2016, 06:58:10 am »
Watched Deepwater Horizon really just a 70's disaster movie the accident was frighting but when the titles came up and they gave you the facts of what happened I was shocked only 11 people died watching the film it look like 100's.

I would have liked to seen more of what happened afterwards.
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44113 on: December 21, 2016, 09:46:37 am »
Watched Deepwater Horizon really just a 70's disaster movie the accident was frighting but when the titles came up and they gave you the facts of what happened I was shocked only 11 people died watching the film it look like 100's.

I would have liked to seen more of what happened afterwards.

Watched that last tight too. The trailer is all you need to watch really. Nothing else happens than what you see in the trailer.

Also watched that I film. Mad as fuck, but I stuck it out for 3 hours. Amy Jackson is my new woman. Done a wee bit of research on her and she spent a chunk of her life on Merseyside, winning the Miss Liverpool thingy. She is stunning.  The film was decent in fairness. Just a bit crackers.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Red_Irishman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Absolutely Bobbins"
« Reply #44114 on: December 21, 2016, 10:07:54 am »

Neither have I mate.
“If Everton were playing down the bottom of my garden, I'd draw the curtains.” - Bill Shankly 1913 - 1981

Offline 'Mondzz'

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #44115 on: December 21, 2016, 10:11:00 am »
Neither have I mate.

In the same boat.

Got it downloaded earlier ready for tonight.

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #44116 on: December 21, 2016, 11:25:18 am »
In the same boat.

Got it downloaded earlier ready for tonight.

Which version did you download?

The Workprint.
The Theatrical Cut.
The International Cut.
The Director's Cut.
The Final Cut.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 11:27:17 am by Trada »

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline 'Mondzz'

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #44117 on: December 21, 2016, 11:28:50 am »
Which version did you download?

The Workprint.
The Theatrical Cut.
The International Cut.
The Director's Cut.
The Final Cut.

The Final Cut I think it was. Went for the first 1080p one I could find.

Is that a good cut?

Offline Haemoglobin

• Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
« Reply #44118 on: December 21, 2016, 11:40:41 am »
The Final Cut I think it was. Went for the first 1080p one I could find.

Is that a good cut?
It is; there are minor differences overall really to TDC (I put TDK in my post at the top of this page, not sure why I went all Mortal Kombat there), which was the definitive version for about 15 years or so.

It has plenty of improvements, but makes a few very small changes which I personally would've preferred to've been kept in, most noticably a classic dissonant sweary line which was quite iconic, but Ridley Scott felt he needed to alter for some reason. But it was amazing to see at the flicks when it was released, nearly a decade ago now.

Offline Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #44119 on: December 21, 2016, 11:48:03 am »
It is; there are minor differences overall really to TDC (I put TDK in my post at the top of this page, not sure why I went all Mortal Kombat there), which was the definitive version for about 15 years or so.

It has plenty of improvements, but makes a few very small changes which I personally would've preferred to've been kept in, most noticably a classic dissonant sweary line which was quite iconic, but Ridley Scott felt he needed to alter for some reason. But it was amazing to see at the flicks when it was released, nearly a decade ago now.

Can't remember now has the final cut got the voice over?