Author Topic: Does Thommo Have What It Takes?  (Read 1539 times)

Offline *Gareth*

• The other Gareth
  • Anny Roader
  • Justice
    • Hillsborough Justice Campaign
Does Thommo Have What It Takes?
« on: February 21, 2002, 01:30:27 am »
To become the next full time Liverpool Manager?

I think he does, Ok maybe his tactical knowledge isn't the best but I'm sure that after a long spell with Houlier his ability will be greatly increased. The guy deserves full credit, Coming  into a job as big as this one in such circumstances is hard. However we haven't really paid too much of a price during Houlier's absence, It could have been a lot worse.

I think we're looking at the next full time manager. {After Houlier's long succesful reign that is}
« Last Edit: January 1, 1970, 01:00:00 am by 1017961200 »
Bill Shankly on Tommy Smith

"If he isn't named Footballer of the Year, football should be stopped and the men who picked any other player should be sent to the Kremlin"

hoonin

Re: Does Thommo Have What It Takes?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2002, 02:18:07 am »
You git  ;) I thought this was going to be a post about tonights game and how he made the wrong choices blah blah blah.

To be honest i think its way to early to say. The longer he works with Ged the more he will learn, its obvious he has ultimate respect for his mentor so will soak up everything.

Geds gonna be with us for along time though, so no need for these thoughts yet  ;)

Offline KFC

• Legacy Fan
  • We go again.
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2002, 03:31:03 am »
Gerard is now 55.  I think he will only stay (if he stays that is) till 60 and I don't think it will be fair for him and his family to continue beyond that.

Having said that however I would love to see the club to give him another role (like P. Robinson's role) to still get him involved and then maybe to bring somebody in for him.

Personally I don't think PT have what it takes (in terms of composure and tactics) -- I would search for a replacement with GH's calibre.
We won it 6 times

Offline *Gareth*

• The other Gareth
  • Anny Roader
  • Justice
    • Hillsborough Justice Campaign
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2002, 04:00:26 am »
Well finding someone of GH's quality is not going to be easy. Where can you find a manager that doesn't want to spend money like it's going out of fashion? Or one that really loves the club he's managing?

But apparantly during the time PT has been in charge he has picked up more Premiership Pts than Arsenal and the Mancs {Courtesy of ITV}.

Obviously he's not a "Top Drawer" manager but if he can be groomed into one by GH then he has to be given the chance. I'd rather have someone that really loves the club and not someone who suddenly comes out with "I supported Liverpool as a child" Which happens all too often these days.
Bill Shankly on Tommy Smith

"If he isn't named Footballer of the Year, football should be stopped and the men who picked any other player should be sent to the Kremlin"

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2002, 10:13:18 am »
I don't think Thommo is ready. It's one thing to pick a team from the players you've got, it's something else to put a team togheter. What players will suit the style you want to play?

Credit to Thommo anyway, I thought we would be far worse off by now. What PT and the rest of the staff have done in GH's absence is a very fine achievment. They've managed to keep us going in the League and in the CL. With just 10 games left to play in the League, we've got a great chance of winning it and we can still qualify for the 1/4 in the CL. As for the next manager...for me, just one name has popped up so far;

Why not go for Patrice Bergues?

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline John Barnes, Anchorman

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2002, 10:22:10 am »
Phil Thompson's done a remarkable job really.  Can you imagine any of the other top teams in the prem being able to sustain a relatively good run of form with their manager in hospital?  No?  We have Phil Thompson to thank for that mostly.  I happen to think we won't win the league, but the fact that we are still in there with a chance is testament to the work put in by GH over the last couple of years, but mainly to the intelligence and modesty with which PT has done the job.  Both of which make Souness' claims that Thompson tried to take over when he was in hospital in '92 all the harder to believe.

And the job that Thompson has done means that IF Gerard has to stop (and i see no reason why he should by the way), Thompson has to be offered the job permanently.  Any other choice would piss on all the work that's been done over the last 3 years, and would almost certainly mean the end of Thompson's involvement at LFC.  I for one would not want to see that.

All hail Pinnocchio!

Offline Denzil

• Anny Roader
  • The king has returned!
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2002, 01:15:34 pm »
the jury has to still be out he is a great coach but wether or not he is up to full time management is a different story, can he attract the big players and handle them? does he have the patience needed to manage at the top level? only time will tell, but as for now hes doing a great job and long may he continue in the absence of GH