Author Topic: Boring Liverpol!?  (Read 724 times)

Offline Lionel

• Boys Pen
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
Boring Liverpol!?
« on: May 2, 2002, 10:41:48 am »
I am writing in response to the constant attacks against our tactics. I would like to remind people of how successful this so called "boring" tactic is, because it seems that 5 trophies are not enough.

Not so long ago everyone was singing the praises of Arsenals double winning team of 1998, which in my view has immense similarities with our current team, and no one said anything about their tactics or players. Arsenal played with a back 5 of Seaman, Dixon, Winturburn, Adams and Keown, Solid and dependable yes but hardly the most "exciting" and attacking. In Midfield they had Petit and Vieira, arguably the best pair of defensive midfielders around, alongside these two was the hardworking Parlour.

So that is 8 of the starting 11 who are not renowned so their attacking attributes. Compare this to our current team. Arsenals famous back 5 was hailed and rightfully so and the same credit should be given to ours, which has by far the best record in the league, with Dudek, Carragher, Hyypia, Henchoz and Riise/Xaivier (depending on who plays). The similarities between the styles of the two defences are there for all to see. Both are solid and dependable which exactly what a defence should be.

Moving on to the midfield of Petit and Vieira two outstanding internationals creative yes but attacking no. Both of which are very similar to Hamann and Gerrard in the style of play, if anything Gerrard is probably more attacking than both. Parlour and Murphy are as similar a sort of player as you can get, both more than useful team players, who are loyal to the cause.

My argument is not concerned about the players abilities or who's better, but regards their styles of play which is clearly similar and yet Arsenal were hailed and Liverpool are slated.

Offline KFC

• Legacy Fan
  • We go again.
Re:Boring Liverpol!?
« Reply #1 on: May 2, 2002, 11:22:20 am »
If you are worried about the media critics then I am really worried about you  ;)

Liverpool beaten by Leverkusen = Liverpool outclassed
Man Utd beaten by Leverkusen = Man Utd unlucky

Media my arse!!  ;D There is no need to defend our tactics -- let them fear us!!
We won it 6 times

Offline Farman

• Heading off for a fruit based orgy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: May 2, 2002, 08:29:10 pm »
Nice first post mate  ;)

That's the media for you - they just like to pidgeon-hole everyone. 5 cups, 127 goals last year (over 2 per game) and 3 very exciting finals including a 5-4 with a goalden goal! Mind-numbingly boring, that!

No-one would call Barcelona boring, yet this very season, at the time they played us for the second time and all their clog-feet were calling us boring, we were actually averaging more goals per game in the league than they were, and our leagues are comparable. Yes, we do like to keep it tight at the back, but we should be CREDITED with havng a good defence, not slated for it!

Sod the press, and just sing along to our boring brand of football. Enjoy!  :)
The eternal silence of these infinite spaces frightens me

Offline Adam

• Ballboy
  • Legacy Fan
  • A Liverbird Upon My Chest
« Reply #3 on: May 3, 2002, 01:35:36 pm »
ya say that no one says anything about Arsenals tactics and players, but think about Arsenal in the 80's. do people remember them for how much they won, or remember them for 'boring boring Arsenal', and '1-0 to the Arsenal' ?
She Loves You Yeh Yeh Yeh