Author Topic: Supporters: All the glory none of the blame!  (Read 2887 times)

Offline Cardie

• Has severe hair-trigger and adores Aberdare
  • Legacy Fan
Supporters: All the glory none of the blame!
« on: April 27, 2002, 03:40:03 pm »
Fortress Anfield, remember that?

Opposition teams used to dread playing at Anfield not only because of playing against the team but also facing the fans. We used to have the psychological advantage, opposition players facing a wall of noise as they came onto the pitch. Now?

We’ve had our moments, Roma, Newcastle a few other occasions the crowd has managed to reach levels similar to the good old days, but instances of the true Anfield atmosphere have been few and far between.

Premiership games at home these days seem to follow the same pattern the support isn’t constantly vocal and the opposition are definitely not intimidated, maybe that half our problem.

Our Home form while not disastrous (far from it) could be better, the players and management have to take some responsibility but surely we have a part to play and in turn some blame to take? If the players are playing below par then it’s the job of the crowd to boost the confidence intimidate the opposition, ANYTHING that will give the team a lift, but instead Anfield has heard booing heckling and abuse of the players, maybe it’s justified but not during the match, NOT when you want the players to raise the level and play with some heart (if we’re not showing it why should the players?)

Imagine if we could maintain the kind of Atmosphere generated at the Roma game, many of the home draws would instead be home wins and we’d be sitting pretty on top of the prem, as it is we’re 4 points behind and areas of Anfield resemble a cemetery.

Who’s to blame? Scousers blame OOT’s, OOT’s blame day-tripper, and day-trippers say nothing for fear of incrimination. We are ALL to blame, OOT’s are so are Scousers and day-trippers, I’ve heard Season ticket holders say “I don’t sing or shout…..because I’m not the type!” well you’ll have to learn to be the type. Anfield needs to shake every game. EVERYONE needs to leave Anfield with sore throats. If you want to act like some Roman Emperor and just sit there waiting to be entertained, then you’re in the wrong sport that behaviour is for Baseball fans.

For Liverpool to get back to the days of old, we need to improve everything from the team to the atmosphere, we can’t just sit back and expect to (a) be entertained (b) win, without attempting to offer anything in return.

We are all responsible for the success of Liverpool so it’s time to stand up and sing up. We need the Anfield Fortress, not the Anfield public Library

YNWA
Sing it loud and sing it proud.

Offline mark s

• gone fishin'
  • Legacy Fan
  • used to be a regular but now just irregular
Re:Supporters: All the glory none of the blame!
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2002, 07:10:57 pm »
well said cardie!
the anfield shrine - those were the days my friend

Offline Mottman

• OCB Rep, King of Bootle, Snake Wrangler Extraordinaire, Member of the Garston is in Runcorn Society
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2002, 11:15:32 pm »
Very well said Cardiffred.

I reackon all the lads and lasses in the Annie Road should goad the koppites into singing.  The koppites hopefully would respond.

Maybe things will turn to the Main Stand, I for one will stand up and get the buzzards by me to respond.

The Kemlyn stand is next?  
A boy from the Mersey and a Son of Shankly.

Offline pennylane

• Boys Pen
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2002, 11:32:35 pm »
Having always sat in the Main Stand I've never experienced the singing in the Kop but will do best to replace the lost voices at the Blackburn Game!
For those of you watching in black and white, Liverpool are the team with the ball!

Offline mark s

• gone fishin'
  • Legacy Fan
  • used to be a regular but now just irregular
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2002, 09:40:55 am »
I'm in the main stand for the ipswich game and i'll be singing!
the anfield shrine - those were the days my friend

Offline king_of_the_kop

• BANNED
  • Anny Roader
  • The good times are back
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2002, 10:10:10 am »
I sing whereever I sit usually Kop but I have a decent chance of getting a season ticket next year for the kop.But i'm sure this website and other websites can get the fortress Anfield back and even if the Cenenary and Main stand don't sing and only half of the Anny road road sings as long as around 10,000 in the kop sung loud and proud we can become feared again.We could form some kind of an appeal or plead with people to sing at matches.I think a few problems are fellas don't sing infont of there birds but there birds do.Too many people don't know the songs e.g.Those were the days,red and white kop,liverbirds upon my chest.(solution is us forums get together and before the first 5 matches or so of next seasons stand outside the turnstiles give people song sheets and ask them to start singing).I've heard people blaming kids in the kop before today but i've seen a majority of teens giving a better vocal backing than a few men.
KOP FOR KOPITES

Pheeny

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2002, 10:25:42 am »
I've heard people blaming kids in the kop before today but i've seen a majority of teens giving a better vocal backing than a few men.

My lad sang his heart out at the Bayer game! ;D

Offline king_of_the_kop

• BANNED
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2002, 10:47:26 am »
TAHTS EXACTLY MY POINT pheeny and its very encouraging knoeing that they'll grow up like that and the kop won't die this atmosphere thing is important for them most of all
KOP FOR KOPITES

Offline Ian_Ian_K

• Anny Roader
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2002, 01:38:03 pm »
I already responded to this on the official forum under my "other" name.
Although I didn't disagree, I pointed out that it is a two way thing, and a more positive attitude on the pitch would actually help the atmosphere, even though it should be the other way around.
I hesitated before sending it because I hated the idea of being bracketed with the many "super critics" who infest that forum, and then along comes this "Kopite431" feller, exactly the kind of person I was on about.
People like him make me sick.
I don't know why they bother following Liverpool, or anyone else for that matter, as they can't possibly get any enjoyment out of it.
If we were playing like Real Madrid, him, and others like him, would probably moaning about the defence. They always moan about something.
So whatever you thought about the points I made on that forum, please, don't class me with him.

Offline Cardie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2002, 02:23:50 pm »
LOL No I didn't.

Lets face it, as someone who doesn't go to matches that often I'm on shaky ground even attempting to post something like this that tells other what to do.

People like the one you mentioned take the approach of "I'm right no discussion" hence the blatant misinterpretation (You'll also find that he rarely posts on threads that don't include the names of certain people) anyway back to the point.

Admittedly the post was based more on others experiences than mine and after the episode on .TV I thought the fans were the onlyones getting away scott free, yes they have to give us something to cheer about but in games (like Fulham), when the heads have dropped and the game is going stale the supporters need to take the initiative, the 12th man needs to come back in ALL areas of the stadium not just where the core supporters are (and the few in other areas who try there hardest).

treble2001

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2002, 02:31:58 pm »
I think that if tickets were sold so that you could be with your mates it would mean that groups would start the songs off.  If your sat on your bill, your not going to start a song.  But with your mates they'll carry it on.

Offline king_of_the_kop

• BANNED
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2002, 02:39:41 pm »
So what are we gunna do about it
KOP FOR KOPITES

Offline Downsy

• Kopite
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2002, 10:59:08 am »
I am not a scouser, I am not even a Wooly, I am an OOT, and possibly some would call me a day tripper. ( I very rarely stay in L'pool overnight after games).

But the day I leave Anfield and can speak is the day they'll carry me out in a big wooden  box.

I have the terrible affliction of a  Manc Accent, I don't have a particularly tuneful voice, you all know how dull and boring they sound. So I take full responsibility for the lack of atmosphere. I start to sing and the fuckers all fall asleep.

But Seriously, I think the main reason is the lack of knowledge, The Albert is a cracking example, Nearly everyone who goes in there regularly knows most if not all of our songs, one or two words is usually enough to get the whole pub singing. In the ground, you try and start anything more adventurous than "Oh when the Reds", or Liiiiii-verpool, Liiiii-verpool, and you get a small pocket of people joining in, before it fades and dies usually quite quickly.

The song sheets are a good idea, but the best way would (I know it's not viable) but have areas of the ground where there is no seat numbers on tickets and you could sit with your mates.

Another option, not sure if this is possible, would be to start your own supporters club, think you need 25 members, then you could get tickets together for most games. I recon if you got a couple of groups of fans this big scattered around the ground you could make a lot of difference.
"If a player is not interfering with play or seeking to gain
an advantage, then he should be."

"A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe
you are the best and then make sure that you are."

Shanks

Offline Paul

• Pensioner Abuser
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2002, 01:05:22 pm »

Another option, not sure if this is possible, would be to start your own supporters club, think you need 25 members, then you could get tickets together for most games. I recon if you got a couple of groups of fans this big scattered around the ground you could make a lot of difference.

IF this IS possible, who is up for starting the RAWK Supporters Club? Id be well up for that.  :)
Maybe a letter to Rick Parry regarding this would be in order......now where is my notepad.....

Offline Denzil

• Anny Roader
  • The king has returned!
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2002, 02:35:29 pm »
great idea that would be cool

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2002, 03:11:19 pm »
I think the supporters club idea would work if the club are able to accomodate that. I have even considered setting up an international one here in Edinburgh for Scotland...

The club have a responsibility to improve the matchday atmosphere at Anfield. It has obvious benefits relating to how the teams respond, and a good atmosphere ensures that people spend more money, come back again and again, join the list for season tickets in case the ground expands, blah blah blah, business reasons as well as football ones...

The last time we had this debate,  I suggested that the club incorporates song lyrics into the adverts it carries in the programme. There are always at least two ads for the .tv website in every issue, with King Kenny or Alan Hansen advertising our glorious past. It wouldn't be too difficult for some creative person to  use the lyrics of the many Kop anthems in a similar manner. This would save a whole load of faffing around with songsheets, which are agreat idea but would cost a bomb and would end up in the bin.

I know there are people involved in this website and others who are in a better position than most of us to get some of the ideas suggested put into action, so hopefully this thread will get us somewhere...

Michael

Online filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2002, 03:28:52 pm »
As I said on offal Cardie I do agree with you on this one 100%.

Too many people following the club at the moment think the Reds have a divine right to play every team off the park and beat them 5-0, so anything else is failure:(:(

Offline Downsy

• Kopite
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2002, 03:37:51 pm »
I am pretty sure that in the Everton issue of the programme, there was an article about the fields of anfield road. It was the words and a plea to see if we could get this song going around Anfield as it's only ever heard at aways. I am pretty sure that it was the Everton issue.

I obviously thought that this would be a regular thing but alas it only appeared once.
"If a player is not interfering with play or seeking to gain
an advantage, then he should be."

"A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe
you are the best and then make sure that you are."

Shanks

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2002, 03:51:44 pm »

I am pretty sure that in the Everton issue of the programme, there was an article about the fields of anfield road. It was the words and a plea to see if we could get this song going around Anfield as it's only ever heard at aways. I am pretty sure that it was the Everton issue.

I obviously thought that this would be a regular thing but alas it only appeared once.

Downsy,

I remember someone pointing out that this had happened, shortly after I had originally suggested the idea on here. Could it be coincidence?!? Anyhow, the fact that they have done it once shows that they can do it again. It should be a regular feature in the matchday programme.

In fact, I might just email the club!

Michael

Offline Farman

• Heading off for a fruit based orgy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2002, 01:15:42 am »
A RAWK fan club! Excellent! I don't think any regulars on here would have any trouble raising an atmosphere!
The eternal silence of these infinite spaces frightens me

Offline king_of_the_kop

• BANNED
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #20 on: May 1, 2002, 07:50:51 pm »
Yeah, great idea lads,well up for that but thow many tickets would we be able to get hold of,and where, and how surely we could get 500 tix for every home match in the kop.(Is it enough could a RAWK fella like steve or Bob Kurac get back to me)
Then we would have to sort out a method of meeting up or getting in touch by phone so that lads travelling from other parts of the U.K know they have a ticket before coming down
KOP FOR KOPITES

Offline Cardie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: May 1, 2002, 09:22:34 pm »
Jesus, nothing like highlighting the difference between Forums. On .TV all I could muster was a few good responses and the rest called me a fucking disgrace for blaming the fans (did I), here nudged someone towards setting up a support club!

Good idea whoever it was thought of it (apologies can't remember who, Tom?????)

treble2001

« Reply #22 on: May 1, 2002, 09:29:17 pm »

Downsy,

I remember someone pointing out that this had happened, shortly after I had originally suggested the idea on here. Could it be coincidence?!? Anyhow, the fact that they have done it once shows that they can do it again. It should be a regular feature in the matchday programme.

In fact, I might just email the club!

Michael

Eh! ;)  I had the idea in a article after the S'Ton ga,me on here.  Anyways, I mailed the club with an idea for it, and got a letter on it published.  Everton game it was on.

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #23 on: May 3, 2002, 02:55:44 am »
As a way OOT'er.. ;D....living in the USA, I was over for the Gala and Everton matches. I have posted this before on the RAOTL forum but why doesn't the club have a song sheet available in Liverworld? I know some of the songs. Don't know all the verses to the Gary Mac song..lol.. but why is it so hard to have a song booklet??
Why can't some lads with all this digital technology record the Albert or Park before a big match when the songs are flying and make a CD the club can sell along with a songsheet? Why not load the songs and words on the .tv website? Are they confidential and only scousers are to know???  :P

Stupid simple questions but the CD would fly off the shelves for those ex-pats and fellow Reds around the World.

How can you whigne about the singing when there's no way to learn or be taught the songs? Mind you some will never sing but a lot more would if they new the words and tune..  :D
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline ecmdtan

• Legacy Fan
  • Lurker
« Reply #24 on: May 3, 2002, 04:36:48 am »
The suggestion on having a recording of the Albert, before of after a game was brought up quite a while back, with the recordings being put up on this website.  Some people thought it was an excellent idea (me included, considering I was the one who brought it up ;) )  

Reading the lyrics on a song sheet is one thing, but if you've never been fortunate enough, unlike most people here in this forum, to have never had the opportunity to hear 'Fields of Anfield Road' ever sung before.....

The point I'm trying to make here is that us overseas supporters need your help more than most, when it comes to learning the traditions of this great club.

My first and only trip to Anfield last year was a very bitter sweet experience for me.  On one hand, the feeling of sheer joy and elation of finally being in the promised land.  The experience bordered on religious ecstasy.  But on the other hand, it also made you realise how much you missed, living thousands of miles away.  The sounds of the crowd walking towards Anfield before the game.  The feeling of one big family in the stadium for one common cause, and most of all the songs/hymns of anfield that were sung in the Albert.

What Allana said to me that day in the Albert struck a chord in me.  She said how lucky she was to be able to come in person, week in, week out to this gathering of people, to experience the joy of supporting your club with your fellow brethren. Even though KOTP did fuck up the Gary Mac song! ;)  

Anyways, I digress.  If some one could make a recording of the season end party, especially the songs, I would greatly appreciate it.  Who know's KOTP may finally get it right!
On April 15th, 89.........What should have been a joyous time...........Ninety six friends, we all shall miss.........And all the Kopites want justice...................JUSTICE!!!

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #25 on: May 3, 2002, 01:12:03 pm »
Before the Gala match, i was in the Park. For at least an hour before the match the songs flowed. I believe it was Dimijie Traore (Matty) who got up on a table and led the Gary Mac song..correctly..lol

Your right...someone needs to take charge and as Yoda would say.."Do or do not, there is no try"  ;D
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.