Author Topic: Liverpool 3 Palace 2 - All post-match comments here  (Read 5905 times)

Offline djibril

• wishes he had chosen a better username
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
Re: Liverpool 3 Palace 2 - All post-match comments here
« Reply #80 on: November 13, 2004, 08:57:47 pm »
Disappointed that both of their goals came from our right side,think Finnan should come in for Josemi next week at Boro

Finnan definitely has to start next week.  With Downing in such good form I'd hate to see him up against Josemi.  Finnan did a decent job on him on Wednesday and should be given another chance.
"If we want no criticism then we must work harder to ensure we don't deserve it" - Rafael Benitez

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #81 on: November 13, 2004, 09:03:12 pm »
Well I've calmed down now. Had a tenner on a Baros hat trick at 25/1 so you can imagine me when that penno was awarded. Think I squeezed the life outta my mate when the pen crept in. Never have I experienced anything like that before money wise. Even better, it bagged us the three points.

Someone was smiling on both you and us today ! Heard Rafa on the radio on the way home, they were going to take Milan off as didn't want to risk him for the full 90, but Milan said no, he felt fine to stay on, so Rafa agreed.

Riise looked pissed off to be getting subbed, didn't notice that handshake thing with Garcia, but wasn't really watching that close.

One other thing, for minutes silences, can people please TURN YOUR FUCKING MOBILE PHONES OFF YOU WANKERS  :upyours
Jurgen YNWA

Offline djibril

• wishes he had chosen a better username
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #82 on: November 13, 2004, 09:03:45 pm »
"If we want no criticism then we must work harder to ensure we don't deserve it" - Rafael Benitez

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #83 on: November 13, 2004, 09:07:34 pm »
game is on tape delay right now here across the pond, half-time...

it was very unclear whose backheel sprung Baros for the first pk, was that Kewell or Garcia?  if it was Kewell, he deserves a bit more praise than he's getting.  the second goal was a very nice, creative touch from Garcia's free-kick, and Kewell seems to be playing harder.  He still struggles to show the pace he had two or three seasons ago, but he looks much more confident playing as the second striker.  hope to see that, and his run of form, continue...

if it was Garcia, maybe he's getting beaten up a bit much.  like Baros, Garica will always be a frustrating player to have in your side, but you have to take the bad touches and missed "easy" chances to get the other brilliant stuff from Luis.  The thing about him is that he plays hard even though he doesn't tackle hard, and he is a game-breaking player, the kind who can unlock opposing defenses.  like Baros really, who along with his two goals so far has missed Garcia, Kewell and Riise who were open in the box at various times while Milan tried to dribble five players.  Life with Milan and Luis...

the by far most impressive thing about the first half for me, besides the goal we conceded, a mis-pass by Kewell and a mistake by Josemi, was how we pressed.

admittedly, it was Palace, not the most skillful of sides, but this was the first match i've seen us play like Valencia used to under Rafa.  We pressure their defenders every time they are on the ball, win it back, and being knocking it about looking and probing for openings.

The ability to play further up the field and pressure the opposition, and use the ball when we win it, is the biggest difference between Rafa's Liverpool and the way we played under Houllier.

a refreshing change...

whoops, second half is on, got to watch...

cheers,

turkish

Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Brick Tamland

• Helllllo Jen
  • Legacy Fan
  • I love lamp
« Reply #84 on: November 13, 2004, 09:10:36 pm »

It was a great atmosphere, a modern day St Etienne.

;D
"I'm Brick Tamland. People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks."

Offline AdamL

• Queenie's testicles, as seen in the Echo
  • Legacy Fan
  • Forever in our shadow
« Reply #85 on: November 13, 2004, 09:15:56 pm »
i thought we were fuckin lucky

but then brum were also fuckin lucky last week

tit for tat i guess!
Momo Is Boss

Offline Valim

• Anny Roader
  • Glass is nearly always completely empty.
« Reply #86 on: November 13, 2004, 09:57:03 pm »
There is no such thing as nearly missed in penalties.

Fuck that-- either you score or you don't. And we know what Milan did.

BTW, I recently read a statistical analysis on pens. Bottom corner is better than top corner. Less misses,

Offline Benitez

• Legacy Fan
  • Nunca caminarás sólo
« Reply #87 on: November 13, 2004, 10:01:15 pm »
what I liked most today, looking back at it, is how we carried on playing football till the end. The belief was always there that if we kept playing, trying to pass, getting crosses in, that something would happen.

It was frustrating till the last minute, cos we did control much of the game, but not much was going right. But we never gave in.  We where getting some good moves going, but sometimes the final ball was poor. But then, when we did get some decent balls in, there wasn't enough at the end of it, or they just where that little bit too far for the man to get on the end of it.

But to have not won that game, would have been a travesty.

And for once, we got the penos. Almost makes up for not getting that one last weekend  :no

Obvioulsy Baros was class. But I thought Didi Hamann and Djimi Traore also had cracking games. And Harry Kewell seems to be finding his way again, and looks sharper, and has a bit more confidence about him today.

"Stay humble. Work harder than the other team every game, and work harder in practice. Take nothing for granted, especially on a day like today. How could you? It’s a gift to be playing in this league, a gift to walk the planet. So you know what, leave it on the ice every single night and let the results take care of themselves"

Offline Vinay

• West Coast privileges revoked due to jinxing activity. Considerably more greedier than yaow!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ceux qui écrivent clairement ont des lecteurs.....
« Reply #88 on: November 13, 2004, 10:12:28 pm »

I respectfully disagree.  From in front of the TV it seemed to me that Josemi is currently playing out of synch with the rest of the defense.  His current bad behaviors include the following.

1. He hoofs rather than looks for the pass.
2. He fails to mark his man, and gets caught out of position, up the field, too far inside.
3. He looks pokey - when he gets beat in item 2 above, he is not recovering to cover.

4. He stops running, looks at the linesman, and raises his hand looking for the offside while play still goes on, and the striker/winger has a 5 yard lead on him!

Offline Vinay

• West Coast privileges revoked due to jinxing activity. Considerably more greedier than yaow!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ceux qui écrivent clairement ont des lecteurs.....
« Reply #89 on: November 13, 2004, 10:27:52 pm »
OWEN who?

>:( Kiraly took his time going to his line (the commentator said he was Smeichelesque in his strategy), and the referee rightly booked him (back in the day, the referees didn't have the balls to book a Manure player I guess).  All the time this was happening, Milan was smiling and laughing, waiting for the referee's signal to take the penalty.  I guess he knew all along he was gonna tuck it. 

One to the left of the keeper, one to the right of the keeper   ;D

???BTW, is Milan left footed or right footed? And don't laugh, this is a serious question!

Offline wellsie82

• Where's me tractorrrrrrrrr?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #90 on: November 13, 2004, 10:28:36 pm »
When do we complete our game in hand?

14th Dec vs portsmouth?
the best cashback site on the net.... Click here to get signed up

Offline mr_mad_master

• Posts Utter Shite
  • Legacy Fan
  • Mwa
« Reply #91 on: November 13, 2004, 10:38:30 pm »
MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELAN u fucking lil rippaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa ;D MEEEEEEEELAN u LEGEND  ;D  ;D Owwwwwww MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELAN ;D ;D ;D

(apolgies to mods,but i had to do it)
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS, THE CHAMPIONS OF EUROPE 77 78 81 84 05

hoonin

« Reply #92 on: November 13, 2004, 10:42:36 pm »
What a superb set piece play for the second goal. Defo one thats been worked on in training there. Credit to Kewell too for executing his part :)

Offline ttnbd

• RAWK Chief Financial Officer
  • Legacy Fan
  • ANFIELD4EVER
« Reply #93 on: November 13, 2004, 10:43:12 pm »
An interesting Swan Dive by Kolkka in there.  Was wondering what happened with that, thought he tried to claim Baros reacted but seeing it just then and it's just hillarious. ;D
So all say thanks to the Shanks

He never walked alone

Lets sing our song for all the world

From this his Liverpool home

Online Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #94 on: November 13, 2004, 11:23:13 pm »
I'm delighted for Milan he took a hell of a battering from the Palace defenders and his persistence paid off. I thought Harry Kewell did well today so did Alonso, Carragher, Hamann, Riise and Traore. Josemi was awful again.

Offline Gus 1855

• GusMcLean is a direct descendent of wee Jimmy the Jock McSporran, son of Ally McLeod, voted best Flower of Scotland performer 2003. Changed name in hope of attracting Bridesmaid but he's still Scottish as a Glaswegian deep fried Haggis
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #95 on: November 13, 2004, 11:23:33 pm »
Just watched the game on Sky..thoughts...

Kirkland was defintely not at fault for the first goal as some plonker suggested.
Josemi is just in crap form at the moment.
Traore is nice and solid, left back spot is his now
Alonso  :lickin
Hamann seems to blow hot and cold, i think Biscan ought to get his shot though.
Garcia played far better than i thought from reading the comments on here, i thought he linked up very well with Kewell and Baros
Kewells assist for the second goal was awesome
Baros! Damn you Milan you should have had 6. Seriously though he is getting into the positions, that is what we need.
It looks to me as if we have signed another 'average' player. I'll hold back my complete opinion until I see the lad play

Offline americanscouser

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #96 on: November 13, 2004, 11:27:26 pm »
just 2 quick comments from the match today.

the defensive problems we seem to have look more to be organizational than anything else.  people like to slate josemi today for his part in the first goal (if harry doesn't try and thread the needle we don't get counter attacked that quickly) and the 2nd  it looks like sami again keeps the man onside.  with us defending higher up the pitch and the fact that we don't seem to have a total handle on our offside positioning, we are giving we too many opportunities.  and does it seem to anyone else that teams are scoring against us on their only clear chances?  did palace have any other chances today?

on milan, i can't agree that he is a natural finisher.  i've never really seen milan take a half chance or make a goal out of it.  he's a cracking player, extremely dangerous, and a good goalscorer, but i think he's the type of player who can score 15-20 but also lay on about 10 if he would make quicker decisions in the attacking area.  he could have easily laid 2 balls off today and instead tried to beat 3 or 4 people on the dribble.  i'm sure its a learning experience for him and you don't want to take away what he does best by running at defenses, he just needs to find that happy medium

and for those who say he just stares at his boots, i have to admit that between the beginning of the season and now he has begun playing much faster and simpler as a link up player during our build ups.  its in the final third of the field that he still does it.

Offline coltmanaman

• Kopite
« Reply #97 on: November 13, 2004, 11:51:21 pm »
Had a few drinks since the game so pardon the spelling etc

Firstly negatives (like to finsh on a good note  ;D )

Defence - much improvement needed.  Not just individually (can we please refrain from scapegoating individuals) but as a whole we don't seem to defend as a unit at the moment (depor game aside) - ww are giving away far too many easy goals.  The last 3 games (against relegation candidates) we've conceeded 5 goals from approximately 5 chances.  I said it earlier but are we developing a glass jaw?????  Every time a team seems to attack us we seem to concede.

Secondly chances missed - itsa fantastic that we are creating so many but its no bloody good if you don't convert them.  We lost 2 points against depor, 3 points against brum & nearly another 2 today due to missing chances.   Not sure how.. but we need to be more clinical.

Now the positives - Milan baros.  I have to admit that i've been critical of him, he's never reproduced his czech form for us.  I'm eating my words as we speak because the past 3 or 4 games he's been absolutely terrific.   Not only is he scoring but he's working his bollocks off.   He's a fucking saint.

Next positive - Xabi Alonso.  Not wishing to start a rumour mill but IF gerrard was to leave in the summer I personally believe we actually have a BETTER replacement in this lad.  Obviuosly i'd love to see them both in tandem (time will tell)  but IMO Alonso will become the heartbeat of our team.  His vision is something to behold - possibly even better than great Jan.

3 points was the all important thing today but if we are to finish 3rd/4th there's still a great deal of improvement needed.

Offline anfield_reds

• Legacy Fan
  • We're only in it for the money
« Reply #98 on: November 14, 2004, 12:42:30 am »
I've just watched the game. I thought we would never make it after Palace's second goal. Milan Baros was brilliant, fantastic player. Man of the match by a mile. Harry Kewell had a good game, was very lively. He's on his way back to his best, I can feel it!!
On the negative note, our crossing was awful for most of the game. I don't think we should cross it when you field Baros and Garcia/Kewell up front.
Our full backs are simply not good enough. Josemi still has a lot to learn. He's got beaten most of the time and rarely tries to get the ball back. His positioning worries me. He still has a lot to learn from the English game. As for Traore, I'm still not convinced. He has improved a lot, and was ok today, but it seems like he can't make it the step further to a good and consistent left back. He tries a lot and he deserves a lot credit. But I think we should be looking for other options at LB position.

Offline rubberben

• Boys Pen
« Reply #99 on: November 14, 2004, 09:10:25 am »
Hi people,
just joined the website but been following the forum for a while already. After pool got the first goal and missed a few chances, I though we were going to a scoreline like our previous Norwich match. Unfortunately we conceeded, but credit for Palace for the spirit !

Just slightly worried by Josemi's performance. Again he was caught out of position, and if you realized, we will usually get off to a great start with loads of chances before we will conceed and it is usually down our right flank. Remember Emerton vs Josemi? Pederson against Josemi? It worries me and I believe teams are starting to realized our weakness down the right.

I believe it is all down to a matter of confidence. Josemi has started well at liverpool, but his performance has faded slightly but he was a star at Malanga and should be able to do as well once his confidence is back. Garcia isnt much of a tackler too and cannot provide Josemi with as much cover as Risse does on the other flank. Do hope Finnan can get a run too , maybe Josemi hasnt completely recovered from his injury?

Offline ttnbd

• RAWK Chief Financial Officer
  • Legacy Fan
  • ANFIELD4EVER
« Reply #100 on: November 14, 2004, 09:25:31 am »
Why are most people making Josemi the scapegoat for the goals yesterday?  It wasn't him playing the palace players onside.  IF there is to be one individual scapegoat yesterday then it is Sami for not holding the line with the other 3 defenders.  But there shouldn't be any scapegoats.
So all say thanks to the Shanks

He never walked alone

Lets sing our song for all the world

From this his Liverpool home

Offline pngfan

• Kemlynite
« Reply #101 on: November 14, 2004, 11:36:34 am »
Why are most people making Josemi the scapegoat for the goals yesterday?  It wasn't him playing the palace players onside.  IF there is to be one individual scapegoat yesterday then it is Sami for not holding the line with the other 3 defenders.  But there shouldn't be any scapegoats.

Agree with that for the Palace's second goal. However Josemi's form has been disappointing especially how easily he resorts to hoofing the ball forward instead of looking for the pass.

By the way, how absolutely shocking was the rought treatment the Palace players were directing towards Alonso and Baros. In particular, Hughes late charge on Baros in the second half, he deserved to get the yellow for that.

Offline timiano

• Flatlander
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #102 on: November 14, 2004, 12:22:18 pm »
Why are most people making Josemi the scapegoat for the goals yesterday? It wasn't him playing the palace players onside. IF there is to be one individual scapegoat yesterday then it is Sami for not holding the line with the other 3 defenders. But there shouldn't be any scapegoats.

Don't think all and sundry trying to make a scape goat of him, but something does need to be worked on in training.  I would say his main issue is getting drawn in too easily.  Some one makes a run to the left corner of the box and he comes charging in, even though Carra is already there, and Sami shifting across.  Leaves the left wide open, pass gets pinged there and he's already skinned.  Unfortunately Josemi doesn't have the pace to make up for unintelligent decisions like Finnan/Riise/Traore.  But he's a no hold bars defender and I like his style of play, if he sticks to his job, there's few bar a handful of players that will have him.

Offline myrlas