Author Topic: Liverpool 3 Palace 2 - All post-match comments here  (Read 5907 times)

Offline Sat1

• Banned
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Liverpool 3 Palace 2 - All post-match comments here
« Reply #40 on: November 13, 2004, 05:48:54 pm »
It was a great result, Palace defend well and make it hard for teams to get through.

Alonso is fuckin great. Im am pretty sure he'll be in the short list for players player of the year.

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #41 on: November 13, 2004, 05:49:00 pm »
Fulham vs Chelsea is the Sky 90 minute match, but at least we'll get 55 mins of LFC at 10.15.

I don't think it's a good idea to let a player take two penalties in the same match. And I don't think Milan is a penaltyshooter...

Well, you seem to be wrong twice there! The main thing is if the player has just one 'stock' penalty then the second one can be obvious, but clearly Milan took both well.

Two out of two in his LFC career is great by me...

Offline shizzledizzle

• Kopite
« Reply #42 on: November 13, 2004, 05:50:48 pm »
When do we complete our game in hand?

Offline Drobs

• dnegeL
  • Legacy Fan
  • Someday, everything is gonna be different...
« Reply #43 on: November 13, 2004, 05:52:01 pm »
The thing that annoys me most about football is when people comment on players they've seen about 10 times! The views on Chris Kirkland in particular really get at me, how anyone can say they lack confidence with him in goal or he should have got to that (which probably no keeper in the word could have got, it does happen you know!) i do not know.

Give the lad a break and do some reading up on him at the very least.
**After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music **

Offline AdamS

• Hey I'm Not Camp! But I am a tart...
  • Legacy Fan
    • BollockyBoo
« Reply #44 on: November 13, 2004, 05:52:27 pm »
My local rocked to der der der der der der der der ;D
If A is a success in life, than A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut.

Offline myrlas

• Powered by YaMH (Yet another Mister Happy)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Twitter: @myrlas
« Reply #45 on: November 13, 2004, 05:54:31 pm »
Fulham vs Chelsea is the Sky 90 minute match, but at least we'll get 55 mins of LFC at 10.15.

Well, you seem to be wrong twice there! The main thing is if the player has just one 'stock' penalty then the second one can be obvious, but clearly Milan took both well.

Two out of two in his LFC career is great by me...

:) I agree...but that is not my point. Penalty takers is a very special kind of players. They have a special attitude, and they are rare. I just don't feel Milan has that, but nothing would please me more than if he proved me wrong. But the reason i say this is that the best penaltytakers around normally lift the ball at penalties. If you put it down in the corner, the keepers will save it sooner or later. And it wasn't far from a save from Kiraly on that second one...

THAT was my point..
"Football is simple, you're either on time, or you're too late. If you're too late then you have to leave earlier." Johan Cruyff

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: November 13, 2004, 06:00:08 pm »
The best penalties are top corner. The next best ones are bottom corner. The worst ones are 3/4 feet off the ground. So if Milan is tucking them low into the corners, fine by me. Top corner would be preferable, but as long as it hits the back of the net I don't really care!

It takes bottle to take penalties, and Milan has that in abundance. He has a 100% record, so he deserves the benefit of the doubt. We can't judge him beyond that at this stage, can we?

Offline Drobs

• dnegeL
  • Legacy Fan
  • Someday, everything is gonna be different...
« Reply #47 on: November 13, 2004, 06:01:50 pm »
Indeed and as i said, what we want is a striker showing that confidence.
**After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music **

Online Jules01

• Legacy Fan
  • Infamy,infamy,they've all got it in for me.
« Reply #48 on: November 13, 2004, 06:05:53 pm »
Any1 know the attendance for the game?

Offline Guz-kop

• Baz cop
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49 on: November 13, 2004, 06:14:10 pm »
Arse wil deffo be the main match but we should get the 2nd slot, which leads nicely upto MOTD  :D
It's wonderful, it's marvellous, it's 3-3

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: November 13, 2004, 06:18:49 pm »
4300 at a guess.

:o

40,000 empty seats?!

;D

Offline muz

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #51 on: November 13, 2004, 06:21:30 pm »
Good evening everyone,my first post and thanks to Milan,Im a happy man.In answer to a question by ShizzleDizzel,our game in hand is on the 14th of December.
shankly on hearing by a reporter that man utd and man city were bottom of the table said "aye,they are son and they will take some shifting"
december 1973.

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: November 13, 2004, 06:21:58 pm »
there's an art to penalties. I'm pretty good at them even if I say so myself  :P Spent an afternoon slapping hundreds past an ex Chester trialist (but always wondered why they'd trial someone who was 5'10") and outdoing a Kidderminster ressie with me - not bad for a crack whore, and am good in 5-a-side (1 yard run up  ;) )... but 90 minutes into the game, Kop end, 2-2, hat-trick chance, important VITAL win, our penalty misseries weighing on the shoulders, all those ugly faces, 'Rob?.. go on mate, bury it!'.. 'Nah... go for it skipper.'  ;D

great stuff Milan. 8)

Offline Guz-kop

• Baz cop
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53 on: November 13, 2004, 06:26:05 pm »
Just seen the table too, if we win our game in hand vs Pompey (when is that btw?!) we should be 3rd if the bitters dont win tonight.  :D
It's wonderful, it's marvellous, it's 3-3

Offline AdamS

• Hey I'm Not Camp! But I am a tart...
  • Legacy Fan
    • BollockyBoo
« Reply #54 on: November 13, 2004, 06:26:35 pm »
Dead on Rob
If A is a success in life, than A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut.

Offline walshys_mullet

• Aka walshys_mullet. Thinks manager is a coward. Only posts in match threads every other week due to rotation. We suspect this is John Aldridge or Andy Gray posting under a pseudonym.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #55 on: November 13, 2004, 06:28:54 pm »
drove all the way from loch lomand to get to the ground ten minutes before kick off to pick up my ticket from my mate who was late - and he was only coming from bootle! :0

Anyway,  i think the criticism of the defence is unfair at the moment as it seems even the slightest error we are being punished for i mean kirkland has had nothing to do in three games apart from picjk the ball out of the net three times. If only we piuninshed the opposition as much as they do us we would be winning games 10-2.

I thought ia draw would have been as harsh as a defeat last week, we played the better football, we didnt give up and we kept battling while they scored form two attempts.

Made up. Im off to bed im crackered.
"If you're in the penalty area and don't know what to do with the ball, put it in the net and we'll discuss the options later."

The Great 'Should have been Sir' Bob Paisley

Offline pngfan

• Kemlynite
« Reply #56 on: November 13, 2004, 06:30:55 pm »
What a win, aye lads?!!! Bloody fantastic. Tested my nerves to leave it to the very end, but boy am I happy the boys pulled it out. 

Greetings from the coral keys of the South Pacific, Papua New Guinea in fact.

Baros was fantastic today!!! What absolute friggin class!! He is really starting to blossom now that he is out of MO's shadow (I still wish MO never left!!). His tenacity is outstanding and his energy levels are extraordinary. He just never stops running...totally agree wtih the previous poster who put out the "energiser bunny" description.

Thought Kewell looked a bit better today. Good  cross for Baros' second goal, after a wonderful chipped pass from Alonso.

Fantastic game from Alonso again. 

Thougt we might have used Igor instead of Didi today (can't believe I am saying this but Igor's last two games have been outstanding and not forgetting that goal against Fullham.)/ Didi's defence was OK today but he added little in attack today.

Though Josemi was disappointing today. Gave away the ball far too easily, went for the long flighted passes which invariably ended up with Palace.  Also had a ludicrous attempt on goal. 

Crowd looked and sounded fantastic today!!! Really got into the game.  I know that TV doesn't really convey the atmosphere of the crowd (we watch the game on Murdoch's star sports here in the pacific and in asia) but the crowd looked amazing and very vocal today compared to the Birmingham game.  Especially in the last ten minutes of the game, you could see the Kop willing the boys on.

Well done boys!! Its 4.30am in the morning now so i better knock off.

To the reds family, I love reading your posts (and your articles Mr Tomkins, you really should write a book), and seeing so many pasisonate liverpool fans . As we say in PNG...Catch Mulai!! (see ya later!!)

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: November 13, 2004, 06:30:58 pm »
He did nearly miss though.

he's a jammy bastard that Milan Baros.  ;D

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #58 on: November 13, 2004, 06:31:20 pm »
there's an art to penalties. I'm pretty good at them even if I say so myself  :P Spent an afternoon slapping hundreds past an ex Chester trialist (but always wondered why they'd trial someone who was 5'10") and outdoing a Kidderminster ressie with me - not bad for a crack whore, and am good in 5-a-side (1 yard run up  ;) )... but 90 minutes into the game, Kop end, 2-2, hat-trick chance, important VITAL win, our penalty misseries weighing on the shoulders, all those ugly faces, 'Rob?.. go on mate, bury it!'.. 'Nah... go for it skipper.'  ;D

great stuff Milan. 8)

;D

I'm not sure we have a Le Tissier-type (48 penalties, 47 scored), but if Milan can score 8 or 9 out of every 10 he takes, I'd be well-happy with that. Danny never missed, but Mickey only had something like a 50% success rate. But penalties are all about pressure and nerve, and the longer the delay in taking it the harder it gets. It sounded like the Palace keeper was holding things up for the second one.

And I can say that as someone who scored a penalty at the Kop end, in front of 44,000 people!  ;D

Offline Bootle_Danny

• No fireworks, no darts
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: November 13, 2004, 06:35:25 pm »

Crowd looked and sounded fantastic today!!! Really got into the game. I know that TV doesn't really convey the atmosphere of the crowd (we watch the game on Murdoch's star sports here in the pacific and in asia) but the crowd looked amazing and very vocal today compared to the Birmingham game. Especially in the last ten minutes of the game, you could see the Kop willing the boys on.

It was a great atmosphere, a modern day St Etienne.

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: November 13, 2004, 06:38:41 pm »

It was a great atmosphere, a modern day St Etienne.

When the team is piling forward and it's an exciting end to the game, the crowd always rouses itself. I always found the time just after half-time the worst. Nice to hear that the crowd helped towards the win today...

Offline JonC

• Main Stander
  • Once a Red always a Red - YNWA
« Reply #61 on: November 13, 2004, 06:43:18 pm »
 ;) ;D Milan u beauty! Was a hell of a cracking match and its been pretty long since i last go through so much emotions in 90 minutes. See a lot of positive things from the boys but i do have fears when i look at Josemi.... both goal conceded from his side..... and he is getting into the wrong positions and getting caught ball watching rather than marking his man.  Nice to see Kewell getting into the thick of the action FINALLY!!!! I think after weeks of fans and the papers putting him into the firing line- he managed to muster a good enuff performance today, will do his confidance a whole lot of good... hope he'll build it up from here.  ;D
I might be called a fool but i ain't a glory hunter and my 20+ years allegiance to the Reds will never waiver!

MyRAWK Home of the Malaysian Red And White Kopites

Offline Reds_Mostar

• Main Stander
  • YNWA
« Reply #62 on: November 13, 2004, 06:49:07 pm »
Great match and superb preformance by Milan.

Keep that way !!! ;D
Above Us Only Sky!!

Offline fazel

• Main Stander
« Reply #63 on: November 13, 2004, 06:56:42 pm »
let's not forget that the champions (Arsenal) were very lucky to escape with a point in their fixture against Palace. To take all three points is a very good achievement against an in-form team.

Offline Kop4

• Legacy Fan
  • Can't get his avatar's boobs to jiggle.
« Reply #64 on: November 13, 2004, 06:59:27 pm »
Bummer.

My nephew is well pissed off with me now cos I missed out on the tickets.

Loads of goals and excitement were guaranteed since we couldn't get there.

Just the kind of game a nine year old needs to get him hooked.  He seems to attract nil-nil bore draws whenever he attends.

Important win, but I still think it could have been 5-2 if Igor had played........ :P

I will have to catch the highlights on Sky.

Well in the lads. :wave
A travesty of a sham of a mockery.

Offline AnotherSpanishfan

• The Human Babelfish
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: November 13, 2004, 07:04:39 pm »
Barca can fuck off Milan is going nowhere

We're not going for Milan ATM, that rumour was squashed when we signed Eto'o.  We do need a DM though and Didi ws talked about recently but i doubt he's an option any more since Rafa has said he wants Didi to sign an extension and Tacchinardi seems more likely for us.

Offline Jimmy10Men

• Legacy Fan
  • California......Here we come!
« Reply #66 on: November 13, 2004, 07:08:49 pm »
Just about to head out for the night so not got time to post my thoughts, just a quick point.

Fair play to the Palace fans for starting off a massive round of applause for Emlyn Hughes just as Easton was setting up the minute's silence.

Sorry if its already been mentioned.

Oh, thought Kewell was better than normal today, some might say he was good.  :)

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: November 13, 2004, 07:19:12 pm »

We're not going for Milan ATM, that rumour was squashed when we signed Eto'o.

As you say, Barca no longer need Milan now they have Eto'o, who's banging goals in for them.

Meanwhile I am sure Milan is happy at Liverpool, playing and scoring. And we're happy with him!

Offline Wendi

• Kopite
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #68 on: November 13, 2004, 07:22:13 pm »
Made up we won. Well in all our lads. Two pens though who would have thought.

We fought. I love that trait we are slowly starting to develop.

Special mention to Milan of course. He works so hard for us, he deserves everything he gets.

Sack Parry.

Pheeny

« Reply #69 on: November 13, 2004, 07:22:53 pm »
Fair play to the Palace fans for starting off a massive round of applause for Emlyn Hughes just as Easton was setting up the minute's silence.
Heard that didn't realize it was the Palace fans.Well done to them.

Online Andy-oh-six

• Legacy Fan
  • Mr Susan in 'the world of mirrors'...
« Reply #70 on: November 13, 2004, 07:31:21 pm »

As you say, Barca no longer need Milan now they have Eto'o, who's banging goals in for them.

Meanwhile I am sure Milan is happy at Liverpool, playing and scoring. And we're happy with him!

they couldn't afford him if they tried!
Internet terrorist

Offline fraggle

• Main Stander
  • At the end of the storm there's a golden sky
« Reply #71 on: November 13, 2004, 07:57:59 pm »
If Owen hadn't gone to Madrid we'd have lost 2-1 today ;D

Well done Milan.  And did we really see signs of a Kewell revival today?  Le Tissier slated his performance all afternoon on Sky Sports, but people here seem to be more positive.

Offline ttnbd

• RAWK Chief Financial Officer
  • Legacy Fan
  • ANFIELD4EVER
« Reply #72 on: November 13, 2004, 08:07:26 pm »
Can't believe I wrote an article this week saying if Baros took penalties he'd have ten goals and not seven.

Today he scored two pens in a hat-trick, and has 10 goals!

;D

You've been saying it all season too haven't you?  With those 3 goals today it now gives him a goals to starts ratio of 10 in 13, which is on a par (if not better) with his international record.  Let's hope it continues through the rest of the season.

BTW did anyone else notice that the ref wouldn't give Baros the match ball at the end?  Baros asked for it but the ref wouldn't give him the bloody thing.
So all say thanks to the Shanks

He never walked alone

Lets sing our song for all the world

From this his Liverpool home

Offline DaveLFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: November 13, 2004, 08:09:31 pm »
Just read through my programme for today, in the "Did you know?" section (pg27), one of the points is:

"No Liverpool player has ever scored a hat-trick against Crystal Palace."

;D ;D

That's one they'll have to scrub off next time then!
The consequences of rejecting reality are not immediate but they are inevitable

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #74 on: November 13, 2004, 08:22:20 pm »
You've been saying it all season too haven't you?  With those 3 goals today it now gives him a goals to starts ratio of 10 in 13, which is on a par (if not better) with his international record.  Let's hope it continues through the rest of the season.

I take it that's 13 starts in all competitions? As we've only played 12 league games...

He's doing especially well seeing as, unlike Henry, Anelka and others, Baros was sub for quite a few games earlier in the season.

Ten goals before mid-november is great going. A lot of people never felt he could reach 20 - I have always believed in him and he's halfway there, with 2/3rds of the season left. He's a natural finisher, and he has so much more about his game with his running with the ball and getting to the byline. His awareness isn't always great, but that's a minor niggle these days.

Offline ttnbd

• RAWK Chief Financial Officer
  • Legacy Fan
  • ANFIELD4EVER
« Reply #75 on: November 13, 2004, 08:24:16 pm »
aye, I meant all competitions.
So all say thanks to the Shanks

He never walked alone

Lets sing our song for all the world

From this his Liverpool home

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #76 on: November 13, 2004, 08:28:25 pm »
aye, I meant all competitions.

So that's 8 out our 20 games (two vs Graz, four in the CL group, two in the League Cup) that Milan has been either a sub or missing? He's also been taken off after 70 mins in some of the earlier games.

His goal ratio is pretty special, in that case. I love his work rate and enthusiasm, but now he has confidence and a run in the side, we're seeing how good he can be.

Offline vance

• Main Stander
  • The Delicate Sound Of Thunder
« Reply #77 on: November 13, 2004, 08:28:30 pm »
once again a fucking AWFUL referee at Anfield. Prick.  :upyours

Good job we won. Thought Garcia stunk the place up today to be honest.

Baros?

Worked his conkers off and deserved the goals.

he'd have been no good as an air raid warden! He still NEVER LOOKS UP!!! ;D
Don't Buy The S*n - OR THE ECHO

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78 on: November 13, 2004, 08:38:01 pm »
Firstly, to all the people who got up on 87 minutes and walked out  :lmao  :wanker

Milan showed today what we missed last week, he was excellent. Glad to see we've finally got a penalty taker. ( BTW,Paul, what's the winning Lotto numbers for next Wed mate?). Didn't get a good look at the second pen,players in the line of sight, but saw the ball go upwards as it hit the net, take it the keeper got a hand to it? The ref deffo shit out of giving us the second pen in the first half, Baros was goal side and the player just went into his back.Kewell was a lot better today, got into the game more and looked a bit more confident. Wait until you see our second goal, one VERY inventive free kick and great execution from Xabi and Kewell.

Disappointed that both of their goals came from our right side,think Finnan should come in for Josemi next week at Boro, Kirkland had no chance with either one though.Also disappointed that Igor didn't get a start. Hamann did OK,but we needed someone to drive on from midfield.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline mikeb58

• The Poet Laureate of the Hillsborough forum and indeed, now, the rest of the site! Allez, allez, allez......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #79 on: November 13, 2004, 08:48:59 pm »
A game we had to win, so I'm just glad we stuck at and got the 3 points. Really think Finnan and Biscan deserved a start today though, their type of game to be part of. Another tough match next week at revenge seeking Boro, the kind of match we tend to need Stevie more. Can't wait to see him back !
Hillsborough...Our Greatest Victory (out now)