Author Topic: The Beatles  (Read 26560 times)

Offline Coyney

• Anny Roader
The Beatles
« on: September 22, 2004, 08:24:38 pm »
Coming from Liverpool I find the Beatles the best band ever. Now I know very little about music and don’t proclaim to know anything about music. What I do know is that the Beatles are exceptional and I doubt there will be another band like it.
What I cant understand is people that don’t like them yes you have a right but I cant understand it. The say " its old music and its boring" this coming from a Lancastrian but still how the hell can it be old when it is still around now? I think I like it so much because we always used to have them on, on long trips down to Devon so I virtually new the words of many songs by the time I was 8. I am only fourteen and I know many people my age that like them so how can they be outdated. I would just like your views on them.
O danny boy

Offline Roger

• The Derek Acorah of RAWK & Welsh News Correspondent
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The Beatles
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2004, 08:27:06 pm »
I luv the Beatles mate. Anyone who doesn't hasn't got a clue.

:wave

Roddysul

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2004, 08:34:19 pm »
whenever i go away anywhere in the world I always try and time how long it will be between arriving there and first hearing a beatles song playing  -  longest to date is 2 days

Offline Roger

• The Derek Acorah of RAWK & Welsh News Correspondent
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2004, 08:35:40 pm »
whenever i go away anywhere in the world I always try and time how long it will be between arriving there and first hearing a beatles song playing  -  longest to date is 2 days

daytripper.

;D

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2004, 08:36:52 pm »
The main thing about the Beatles is that they were innovators. It's hard to appreciate that 40 years later, after all their ideas were pastiched and their sound copied. Their sound still sounds fresh, but it's been diluted by imitators.

I'd loved to have heard Sgt Peppers or Revolver when they came out in the mid-to-late 60s.

Pheeny

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2004, 08:45:02 pm »
I'd loved to have heard Sgt Peppers or Revolver when they came out in the mid-to-late 60s.
as my sister is almost 10 years older than me and a Mad Beatles fan I heard all the Beatles stuff when it first came out but being only a kid at the time it was a few years before I appreciated just how good they where!

Offline Kop4

• Legacy Fan
  • Can't get his avatar's boobs to jiggle.
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2004, 08:46:53 pm »
The main thing about the Beatles is that they were innovators. It's hard to appreciate that 40 years later, after all their ideas were pastiched and their sound copied. Their sound still sounds fresh, but it's been diluted by imitators.

Ditto.

Can't forget that they were style gurus and pop art innovators too.  Again often overlooked.  And they were the first to reject the Tin Pan Alley songsmiths and do their own thing. 

They actually had the balls to turn down "How do you do what you do to me" which Gerry and the Pacemakers made a huge no.1
A travesty of a sham of a mockery.

Offline Bobby Fury

• Fountain of Musical Knowledge
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2004, 08:51:34 pm »

Being the old guy that I am (even older than Pheeny  :o) I was around when those albums came out.  It was very cool to be able to hear the "latest" Beatles record and it was always amazing that they came up with something new or fresh.  Not bad singers and players either!  If it wasn't for them,  I wouldn't have become a musician myself.  Thanks you guys!
LFC - It's what's happening!!!

Offline mikeb58

• The Poet Laureate of the Hillsborough forum and indeed, now, the rest of the site! Allez, allez, allez......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2004, 09:15:05 pm »
 The whole Beatles story is amazing, and such a story could never happen again. Their musical progression was awesome, and most of their stuff still sounds great today. They will always be regarded by most people as the biggest and best band ever, and they come from Liverpool, what more could you ask for!
Hillsborough...Our Greatest Victory (out now)

Online Matt S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • MattShaw
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2004, 11:04:42 pm »
Most bands today wouldnt be here without them. and I'm not just talking guitar bands when I say that.

I know I would never have picked up a guitar if they hadnt existed. I've grown up with them. Me and me mate used to get laughed at in junior school for liking them (we had the last laugh, used to do the school radio at lunchtimes - fuck off were we playing anything but the beatles) and we still both love them 8 or 9 years later.

Offline America's Sweetheart

• I love you all dearly. Artichoke Festival Queen; the poster formerly known as Low.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boypants.
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2004, 11:15:51 pm »
The problems with the Beatles are that

a) Lord ThumbsUp of Much Greed In The Marsh puts a lot of people off. 

b) They did so many different things, it's easy to find something to dislike. For every great pop song and genuinely innovative moment, there is a self indulgent or lazy moment somewhere else. Sometimes even in the same song. One of my favourite songs is "In My Life", but I wince every time I hear the baroque keyboard in the middle.

I think my all time favourite Beatles song is "Paperback Writer". But I've no idea why.

Offline Em5y

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2004, 11:32:46 pm »
The Beatles are quality.

The reason they remain popular is because of the way their music evolved.  As somebody has said earlier, every song sounded fresh and new.

I mean - how the fuck do you go from Please Please Me in 1963 to I am the Walrus in 1967 to The Long And Winding Road in 1970?

That's the reason they maintained the popularity.  Buddy Holly - one of their main influences is also fuckin brilliant.

Offline cynicaloldgit

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2004, 11:39:21 pm »

:wave

Nothing like a generalisation, is there? The Beatles were fortunate to be in the right place at the right time. They encapsulated the zeitgeist of a burgeoning city at a time of revolution but musically they were mediocre at best and one of the most overrated bands of all time.

But that is only my opinion.
"You can always lie to others, but never to yourself."

Offline Em5y

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2004, 11:42:01 pm »

The Beatles were fortunate to be in the right place at the right time. They encapsulated the zeitgeist of a burgeoning city at a time of revolution but musically they were mediocre at best and one of the most overrated bands of all time.

;D First point proved.

Offline cynicaloldgit

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2004, 11:49:19 pm »
;D First point proved.

Don't worry, Emsy, I knew that I was setting myself up to be shot at there. But it is what I truly believe.

;D
"You can always lie to others, but never to yourself."

Online Matt S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • MattShaw
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2004, 11:51:33 pm »

Nothing like a generalisation, is there? The Beatles were fortunate to be in the right place at the right time. They encapsulated the zeitgeist of a burgeoning city at a time of revolution but musically they were mediocre at best and one of the most overrated bands of all time.

overrated? 2 of the greatest guitarists to ever live were in that band (George Harrison & John Lennon). Lennon is actually underrated as a rhythm guitarist if anything. The songwriting on the whole was absolutely superb, especially post 'rubber soul'. Their musical talent was astounding in my opinion. As was their ability to innovate - to test the boundaries of what they could do with the equipment available.

Overrated? Without them music would be as it is today.

• I love you all dearly. Artichoke Festival Queen; the poster formerly known as Low.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boypants.
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2004, 11:57:30 pm »
2 of the greatest guitarists to ever live were in that band

Oh, come off it.

Offline Em5y

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2004, 12:02:54 am »
Stroppy, Gobby Little Mare

Oh, come off it.

Second point proved  ;D

• Legacy Fan
  • Boypants.
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2004, 12:08:30 am »
So you REALLY think Harrison and Lennon were GREAT guitarists?

I bet you think Gary Ablett was a great defender.

Offline Em5y

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2004, 12:14:40 am »
"So you REALLY think Harrison and Lennon were GREAT guitarists?"

Me? Harrison, yeah I would say so - Lennon, No.

Ablett - Seen worse.

Online Matt S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • MattShaw
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2004, 12:16:09 am »
they fucking were. Harrison is an undisputed great. Thats just obvious. I shall post about lennon later.

Offline Kop4

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2004, 12:19:32 am »
Overrated? Without them music would be as it is today.

As non-sensensicle as anything by Lennon himself! ;D

• Legacy Fan
  • Boypants.
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2004, 12:22:06 am »

Offline hide5seek

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in THE 5 EUROPEAN CUPS
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2004, 12:25:59 am »
Prefer the Rolling Stones personally.

Offline Egg

• zackerley the QP Bootboy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2004, 12:30:53 am »
they fucking were. Harrison is an undisputed great. Thats just obvious. I shall post about lennon later.

i hate to join in this conversation so late but if any of the beatles ( quality band don't get me wrong) are classed as an undisputed great gitarist I need to know your other influences as I fail to see how you can put them anywhere in at least the top 30 guitarists since there time

Offline hide5seek

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in THE 5 EUROPEAN CUPS
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2004, 12:37:04 am »
Most bands today wouldnt be here without them. and I'm not just talking guitar bands when I say that.

I know I would never have picked up a guitar if they hadnt existed. I've grown up with them. Me and me mate used to get laughed at in junior school for liking them (we had the last laugh, used to do the school radio at lunchtimes - fuck off were we playing anything but the beatles) and we still both love them 8 or 9 years later.

I'm not an expert, but you could argue equally most bands wouldn't be around if it wasn't for Buddy Holly, Elvis, Bill Hailey, Chuck Berry and countless other's I've never heard of and a host of other groups/artists.
Music evolves and the Beatles we're just part of this..........surely?

Offline Bobby Fury

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2004, 12:38:48 am »
They were great guitarists but if you don't really like the Beatles you probably don't like what they played.  Does that make sense?  The parts that John and George played were appropriate (and very cool as far as I am concerned) for the type of music they wrote and played.

For example: John's triplets on "All My Loving" - pretty tough to play smoothly.  Also, his acoustic part on "Norwegian Wood".  For George: the solo on "Something" - very tasty and I think he rocks pretty good on "Rollover Beethoven".

You have to admit, whether you like them or not, they did influence many guitarists and were loved by many around the world.  :wave

And they were certainly influenced by Elvis, Buddy Holly, Chuck Berry, and many more!
« Last Edit: September 23, 2004, 12:40:28 am by Bobby_Fury »

Offline Egg

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2004, 12:43:27 am »
They were great guitarists but if you don't really like the Beatles you probably don't like what they played.  Does that make sense?  The parts that John and George played were appropriate (and very cool as far as I am concerned) for the type of music they wrote and played.

For example: John's triplets on "All My Loving" - pretty tough to play smoothly.  Also, his acoustic part on "Norwegian Wood".  For George: the solo on "Something" - very tasty and I think he rocks pretty good on "Rollover Beethoven".

You have to admit, whether you like them or not, they did influence many guitarists and were loved by many around the world.  :wave

I hate to say because despite my cynical attitude I do like the beatles but they influenced a lot of guitarists and even prompted quite a few to take up the guitar because the majority of there songs were extremely easy to play

• Legacy Fan
  • Boypants.
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2004, 12:44:08 am »

I like the Beatles. Mostly.

And I think George Harrison was mildly innovative (though most of his "innovations" were more a matter of taking someone else's work and popularising it), technically good and blessed with a fine sense of what would and what wouldn't work. His guitar often added something fresh and interesting to the songs of Lennon and Lord Thumbs, and some of his own songs are favourites.

But he was not - by my definition - a GREAT guitarist and he wouldn't make a spot on any such list of mine unless I had to do a VH1-esque Hundred Great Guitarists. And to me, if your list is 100 long, you're devaluing the word "great".

Roddysul

« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2004, 12:46:14 am »
I think George Martin deserves a lot more credit than he gets for keeping the Beatles innovative, new and as musically tight as they were.

Offline Egg

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2004, 12:52:42 am »
I hate to say and disregard it each time a friend of mine says it but they were shite live.

• Legacy Fan
  • Boypants.
« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2004, 12:54:03 am »
I think George Martin deserves a lot more credit than he gets for keeping the Beatles innovative, new and as musically tight as they were.

Absolutely

Offline Bobby Fury

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2004, 12:55:50 am »
But he was not - by my definition - a GREAT guitarist and he wouldn't make a spot on any such list of mine unless I had to do a VH1-esque Hundred Great Guitarists. And to me, if your list is 100 long, you're devaluing the word "great".

The parts they played were designed to work within the style of songs they played.   I believe (for The Beatles) that it was the entire song that was important and the guitar parts were just part of the whole.  The Beatles' songs didn't require the extended solos that Clapton, Hendrix, and others did.  And nothing against these other guys because the long solos are very cool.  These other guys are fantastic players.

I guess if what is being played moves the listener, it will be considered great for the listener.  (How philisophical!)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2004, 01:10:50 am by Bobby_Fury »

Offline Kop4

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2004, 01:16:43 am »
So you REALLY think Harrison and Lennon were GREAT guitarists?

I bet you think Gary Ablett was a great defender.

Harrison was a great guitarist without a shadow of a doubt.

What is a "great" guitarist?

Most would go for Hendrix as number one, but the likes of Satriani, Malmstein, Beck and hundreds of others are streets ahead technically.

What counts is making it 'sing' or mean something in a song and taking the song from the routine to the unforgettable.

Take Hendrix and All along the watchtower.  It wasn't the singing that stole the show or even how fast he twiddled.  Just awesome guitar interpretation.

LOW mate ............ "I think my all time favourite Beatles song is "Paperback Writer". But I've no idea why."

The why is a brilliantly measured tight guitar part that resisted the obvious temptation to "rock out" and spoil the song.  A brilliant riff resulting in probably the best two chord song ever written.

And the result is that Harrison probably came up with more instantly recognisable riffs than anyone except maybe Keef Richards.

Showmanship never gets in the way of a good riff.  All the true greats understand this.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2004, 01:18:28 am by Kop4this »

Online Matt S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • MattShaw
« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2004, 01:42:49 am »
'John Lennon saw rhythm playing as his way to assert authority on stage. "I'n not technically good," he once admitted, "but I can make a band drive." A reluctant lead player (Get Back, Happiness Is A Warm Gun and I Want You are exceptions), his Gibson J160E acoustic lit up tracks like Norweigan Wood.'

From guitarist Magazine.

A great guitarist to me is someone who makes me want to pick up and play. Townsend, Buckley, Richards, Lennon, Hendrix and Page all on that list in my head, but they each inspire me in different ways. From the riffs and chord changes of Lennon, to the technical brilliance of page. But Lennon makes it easier to be good. When your learning, Led Zeppelin stuff is far beyond reach. Which makes Lennon a 'Great' guitarist, in my own mind at least.

Offline man in brown

• Anny Roader
  • Quick, wrap that hamster in sellotape
« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2004, 09:34:05 am »
i wouldnt overplay how great harrison and lennon were as guitarists, but their use of the guitar is beyond question, because they played in the greatest pop/rock band of all time people think they must be great guitarists....this does not naturally follow....strangely enough my favourite guitar part in any beatles song is the frenzied lead in Taxman which was played by McCartney.....who was a GREAT bass player (and a better drummer than Ringo)
"My friends tell me I have an intimacy problem.But they dont really know me."

Offline Egg

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2004, 09:35:28 am »
i wouldnt overplay how great harrison and lennon were as guitarists, but their use of the guitar is beyond question, because they played in the greatest pop/rock band of all time people think they must be great guitarists....this does not naturally follow

well said

Offline man in brown

• Anny Roader
  • Quick, wrap that hamster in sellotape
« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2004, 09:44:06 am »
this links nicely to another thread - Pet hates - as a pet hate of mine is people who say they love the beatles etc then start going on about how great Lennon was compared to McCartney and that he is an embarrassment etc.....OK the mans a bit of a twat nowadays but his contribution to the beatles is on an equal par with lennons....and anybody who tries to argue differently is an ignorant c*nt.
"My friends tell me I have an intimacy problem.But they dont really know me."

Offline mikeb58

• The Poet Laureate of the Hillsborough forum and indeed, now, the rest of the site! Allez, allez, allez......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #38 on: September 23, 2004, 09:49:10 am »
The Beatles admitted they were poor 'live', due to the crap equipment and the screaming they couldn't hear what they were playing through the monitors. They gave up touring cos they realised it was pointless, as they could never develop as musicians on stage. The Beatles 'live' studio work, shows what accomplished musicians they really were, and their final 'live' show on the rooftop, showed how much they had improved since they had quit touring.
Hillsborough...Our Greatest Victory (out now)

Offline Maggie May

• A true Grandmother of Sirs. The Next Vera Lynne. The Pigeon Queen. Lobster Botherer Knockout Champ. RAWK's favourite gog. Belshie Gets Hard For Her. Call that a knife??
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit. Semper Fi
« Reply #39 on: September 23, 2004, 10:43:53 am »
Yes, Alloy, I heard them many times in the early days at the Cavern and the Aintree Institute.  The equipment was crap and their performances were, in those days and to be polite, run of the mill.

I won't argue one way or the other about the musical technicalities, but what may interest Dan_The_Man is if I say something about what a sensation the Beatles were at the time.  You see, we were well used to all the greats everyone has mentioned, but they were far removed from us.  To actually have gone to school with, lived in the same street as, know their aunty etc etc - with lads who made records, were on telly and were actually famous, was stunning.  It really was unheard of. 

I remember coming out of work early and standing for ages in Dale Street waiting for them to come past on their way to a reception at the Town Hall.  There must have been thousands there.  Nothing like it had ever happened before to "ordinary" local lads.  They drove past very slowly in huge black limosines - the only time any of us ever got to go in one of those was to funerals - and everybody went berserk. 

Aye well, happy days.

Rather a day as a lion than a lifetime as a sheep.

I can only be nice to one person a day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look too good either.
I tried being reasonable.  I didn't like it.  Old enough to know better.  Young enough not to give a fuck.