Author Topic: What was the last book you read?  (Read 593350 times)

Offline keithcun

• Shameless destroyer of Warringtons finest cinematoria, claims he used to have a large one...
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
Re: What was the last book you read?
« Reply #440 on: February 3, 2005, 03:01:48 pm »
A Northern Soul:The Autobiography - Jimmy Nail

Synopsis

Since Auf Wiedesehen, Pet first captured the public's imagination, musician and actor Jimmy Nail has been a household name. And yet, as a working class lad growing up in Newcastle, it was beyond his imagination. But a few people made a difference - encouraging, nurturing and believing in Nail: his mother; the salt-of-the-earth brothers who supported him when he was at his lowest ebb; the young arts student who became his wife; and the writers, actors and producers who saw something special in him. This is a story that will confound, intrigue and inspire in equal measure.

I might have single handedly ruined Warrington's picture houses,but personally thought my pocket money was better spent at Anfield.

Offline Elli

• kelly without the k, and the y replaced with an i
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #441 on: February 3, 2005, 03:58:04 pm »
Just started "Therapy" by David Lodge. I really enjoyed "Thinks..." but this one already sounds really similar, looks as though he's found a winning formula and stuck to it too rigidly unfortunately. Could be wrong though, only up to page 25 or so.

Offline Lee J

• As Streetwise As An Owl - Twat Twooooo! What garden? Likes to have his nuts felt, especially now he is Tufty The Squirrel.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
    • Work website
« Reply #442 on: February 3, 2005, 07:18:01 pm »
History of the Kings of Britain by Geoffrey of Monmouth.  Translated from the original latin, naturally, written in 1136 or so and extremely boring/repetitive.  Not recommended.
As a young man Cameron looked out on the social carnage of pit closures and mass unemployment, looked at Margaret Thatcher's government and thought, these are my people. When all the debating is done, that is really all I need to know.

Offline Redders

• Wish mine was wood
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #443 on: February 3, 2005, 07:20:36 pm »
Tami Hoag - Ashes To Ashes.

Excellent read.

Offline hooded claw

• Foiled by the Anthill Mob
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #444 on: February 3, 2005, 07:22:12 pm »
Just started "Therapy" by David Lodge. I really enjoyed "Thinks..." but this one already sounds really similar, looks as though he's found a winning formula and stuck to it too rigidly unfortunately. Could be wrong though, only up to page 25 or so.

Not read that one- but loved British Museum/Nice Work/Changing Places/Small World

Offline Litherland_Leon

• OOT Feedback Tourist #1
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #445 on: February 3, 2005, 07:43:05 pm »
the last book i read was Cocky, about Curtis Warren.

currently reading Henry Hill's Gangsters and Goodfellasby Gus Russo. which is the the sequel to wiseguy which inspirared Goofellas the movie.

somebody bought me a book called Barca by Jimmy Burns for Christmas' anyone read it? should i bother?

Offline Tarpaulin

• Polish Ambassador to Liverpool
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #446 on: February 3, 2005, 07:46:58 pm »
Readin Evo's 1st book again at the moment.

Quality.

Offline Tetti

• RAWK Agony Aunt. Has a thing for gay singers...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • When you walk....
« Reply #447 on: February 3, 2005, 08:41:24 pm »
Coming to the end of 'Sunday at the pool in Kigali' . 

A stunning, distressing, disturbing read.  Also try Fergal Keane's book on Rwanda for a more journalistic view of the  massacre there.
Never give up

Offline saph

• Magnificent seven lesbian
  • Legacy Fan
  • it could look like a liverbird after a few pints
« Reply #448 on: February 3, 2005, 10:17:37 pm »
therapy is great. to be honest lodge kinda follows a formula but is very funny anyhow.
sponsored by 2 NaCl + 2 H2O → Cl2 + H2 + 2 NaOH

Offline saph

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #449 on: February 3, 2005, 10:19:20 pm »
The Miracle of Castel Di Sangro by Joe McGinniss" . Fucking ace read  about a wimbledon style team getting promoted, dodgy bribed refs and the mafia, its got the lot.

Joe McGinnis , the yank who wrote it had to get out of Italy pronto after it came out

superb book. totally fuckign bonkers. to be honest had it not been a true story i woulda binned it pretty soon into it as it is too unbelievable!

Offline Elli

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #450 on: February 3, 2005, 10:40:17 pm »
Not read that one- but loved British Museum/Nice Work/Changing Places/Small World

Do they all involve newly-upgraded polytechnics --> universities, cognitive science and mid life crises? Cos these two both do...

I love this one as much as "Thinks..." already, but the only other author I know who repeats similarities between books this much is Rosamunde Pilcher - at least Lodge is hilariously observant and funny I suppose ;D Like the diary-style writing too.

Offline saph

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #451 on: February 3, 2005, 10:53:24 pm »
you not read any hiassen then? very similar plots each time but funny as fuck! all lodge have academic themes as that is his background. oh except out of the shelter. great read and very un-lodge! how far can you go is also good - following his other fave theme - catholicism. british museum is similar to that.

Offline Dermot

• Rent this renovated space for just Ł3.99/month. Price includes neon backlighting.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #452 on: February 3, 2005, 11:48:08 pm »
Stan Collymores autobiography. It was quite good. Before that was Micheal Owens Autobiography zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz........................ the kid is ssssssssoooooooooooo boring.
The cheek of that mon, deserves a shlap

Offline keithcun

• Shameless destroyer of Warringtons finest cinematoria, claims he used to have a large one...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #453 on: February 4, 2005, 10:43:47 am »
To be honest I'm surprised anyone would spend money on that arseholes (Collymore) book.Wouldn't give that cock the steam off my shit.
I might have single handedly ruined Warrington's picture houses,but personally thought my pocket money was better spent at Anfield.

Offline morestellata

• Legacy Fan
  • fiends,romans and fuck off everton!!
« Reply #454 on: February 9, 2005, 10:57:50 am »
INNOCENCE TO EVIL-ANTHONY.J.ALLAN.
A story(true?) about a  fella getting fitted up for a robbery he didn't do and how the system(masons) made sure he got put away for it.Fucking shocking if only half of it is true.
1st IS 1st, 2nd IS NOWHERE.
NEVER FORGET NEVER FORGIVE.
NEVER BUY THE SUN.
JUSTICE WILL BE DONE.

Offline fudge

• RAWK Gaylord
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm a swine, its my nature"
    • Fat man dancing
« Reply #455 on: February 9, 2005, 11:01:59 am »
Wouldn't give that cock the steam off my shit.

Not a dogger then?
Rubber Dinghy Rapids....

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #456 on: February 9, 2005, 12:07:36 pm »
Jonathan Coe, 'Closed Circle', sequel to 'Rotters Club' (briilaint book) currently showing on BBC" on Wednesday nights. I recommend anything he's written, the thinking mans Nick Hornby!

Offline hooded claw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #457 on: February 9, 2005, 12:15:07 pm »
Do they all involve newly-upgraded polytechnics --> universities, cognitive science and mid life crises? Cos these two both do...

I love this one as much as "Thinks..." already, but the only other author I know who repeats similarities between books this much is Rosamunde Pilcher - at least Lodge is hilariously observant and funny I suppose ;D Like the diary-style writing too.

Changing Places and Small World are basically academic bedhoppers, with the usual Lodge trait of the story being an affectionate parodying of the texts discussed (eg the Grail legend); Nice Work is about a job exchange scheme and an unlikely love story, inna Victorian conventions 'stylee'; and BMIFD is a change in that the RC student's dread of an addition to the family is dogging his literary studies, but every chapter is a pastiche of the studied text (Lawrence, Joyce, etc)

Online afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #458 on: February 9, 2005, 12:27:11 pm »
Delete Your Broker.com- Christopher Byron...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Elli

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #459 on: February 9, 2005, 03:48:34 pm »
Finished the David Lodge one now - it was alright but nowhere near as good as Thinks...

Now reading Stephen Fry - Moab is my Washpot, which is absolutely brilliant. Started reading it last night and I'm about 100 pages in, no wonder I'm shattered. The bit about music in particular, it's exactly how I feel about it but funnier.

Offline keithcun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #460 on: February 10, 2005, 04:58:22 pm »
On the Run: A Mafia Childhood  - Greg and Gina Hill

Synopsis
Henry Hill's business partner, Jimmy Burke has whacked every person who could possibly implicate him in the infamous Lufthansa robbery at JFK airport. On his way to prison, lifelong ganster Henry is given two options: sleep with the fishes, or enter the FBI's Witness Protection Program. Unfortunately for Gregg and Gina, they're dragged along for the ride. Like nomads, they're forced to wander from state to state, constantly inventing new names and finding new friends, only to abandon them at a moment's notice. Living under constant fear of being found and killed. But Henry, the rock Gregg and Gina so desperately need, is a heavy cocaine user and knows only the criminal life. He is soon up to his old tricks and consistently putting their identities in jeopardy. And so it continues until the kids, now almost grown, can no longer ignore that the Mob might be less of a threat to them than remaining under the roof of their increasingly unbalanced father.

Offline ttnbd

• RAWK Chief Financial Officer
  • Legacy Fan
  • ANFIELD4EVER
« Reply #461 on: February 10, 2005, 05:05:12 pm »
Finished the bourne ultimatum last week. This week i have almost finished greed by chris ryan
So all say thanks to the Shanks

He never walked alone

Lets sing our song for all the world

From this his Liverpool home

Offline America's Sweetheart

• I love you all dearly. Artichoke Festival Queen; the poster formerly known as Low.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boypants.
« Reply #462 on: February 10, 2005, 05:21:29 pm »
Finally finished a v long sci-fi book called "Pandora's Star" by Peter F Hamilton.

It's rilly rilly good. Clever, well-written, grown-up stuff.

I might check out some of his other stuff when I get more time

Offline keithcun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #463 on: February 25, 2005, 03:44:16 am »
Just finished reading My Story: "A Child Called It", "The Lost Boy", "A Man Named Dave" - Dave Pelzer a truly harrowing and upsetting true story.How anyone can treat children,and in this case their own,like this,is truly unbelievable.

This is a volume that encompasses the three books that Dave Pelzer written about his life at the hands of his parents,especially his mother and the amazing result that he managed to come out of it alive thanks to his own courage and to the courage of his teachers and social worker.

Synopsis

The remarkable trilogy from Sunday Times number 1 bestseller Dave Pelzer in one volume.

A CHILD CALLED 'IT': Dave Pelzer's story is of a child beaten and starved by his emotionally unstable, alcoholic mother: a mother who played tortuous, unpredictable games that left one of her three sons nearly dead. No longer considered a son, or a boy, but an 'it', Dave had to learn how to play these games in order to survive. His bed was an old army cot in the basement and when he was allowed food it was scraps from the dogs' bowl. Throughout, Dave kept alive the dream of finding a family who would love and care for him. This is an inspirational look at the horrors of child abuse and the steadfast determination of one child to survive despite the odds. THE LOST BOY: The harrowing but ultimately uplifting true story of Dave's journey through the foster-care system in search of a family who will love him. A MAN NAMED DAVE: The gripping conclusion to this inspirational trilogy. With extraordinary generosity of spirit, Dave takes us on a journey into his past. At last he confronts his father and ultimately his mother. Finally, Dave finds the courage to break the chains of the past and learn to love, trust and live for the future.

Offline Joe C

• Kopite
  • use your head hicks
« Reply #464 on: February 25, 2005, 10:36:34 am »
Hemmingway - "A Farewell to Arms"

Remarque - "All Quiet On the Western Front"

Bill Bryson - "Notes From A Small Island"

Derek Hatton - "Inside Left"

Very different books, but all good in their own way.
RTK

Offline Joe C

• Kopite
  • use your head hicks
« Reply #465 on: February 25, 2005, 10:39:11 am »
Jonathan Coe, 'Closed Circle', sequel to 'Rotters Club' (briilaint book) currently showing on BBC" on Wednesday nights. I recommend anything he's written, the thinking mans Nick Hornby!

Yeah, "The Rotter's Club" is probably the best book I've ever read. Just felt "The Closed Circle" fell a bit flat.
RTK

Offline SI1978

• Main Stander
  • Form is temporary, Class is permanent
« Reply #466 on: February 25, 2005, 12:14:14 pm »
Just finished Michael Owen's book and I'm midway through Stan Collymore's book.  Gazza's is also a good read.
I am the son and heir of nothing in particular.

Offline hooded claw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #467 on: February 25, 2005, 12:16:41 pm »
Just finished reading My Story: "A Child Called It", "The Lost Boy", "A Man Named Dave" - Dave Pelzer a truly harrowing and upsetting true story.How anyone can treat children,and in this case their own,like this,is truly unbelievable.

Hasn't his brother also written a book to exorcise his demons?

Offline Ben_JP

• Where is my file?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You've just got to let them know you exist
« Reply #468 on: February 25, 2005, 12:27:29 pm »
'Barca: A People's Passion' by Jimmy Burns. Comprehensive to say the least! If you have even a passing interest in Barca or European football then this is well worth a read.
Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose.

XBL: MisiuPysiu / PSN: PysiuMisiu
Gamestyle articles what I wrote.

Offline keithcun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #469 on: February 25, 2005, 03:12:54 pm »
Hasn't his brother also written a book to exorcise his demons?

Yep,Richard I think and it's on my wanted list.

Offline Hightown Phil

• Loves burgers and men, ideally men on burgers…big fan of the Gormley statues. Turned down a starring role on The Bill.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #470 on: February 25, 2005, 03:15:41 pm »
Foul Play. About Bruce Grobelaar.

Very good and very interesting.

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Let them hate me, as long as they respect me"
« Reply #471 on: February 25, 2005, 03:25:00 pm »
Effective Assessment in Modern Foreign Language Teaching. Not recommended.
In a free state there should be freedom of speech and thought.
 Tiberius Caesar Augustus,
Roman Emperor & General (42 BC - 37 AD)

Offline Maggie May

• A true Grandmother of Sirs. The Next Vera Lynne. The Pigeon Queen. Lobster Botherer Knockout Champ. RAWK's favourite gog. Belshie Gets Hard For Her. Call that a knife??
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit. Semper Fi
« Reply #472 on: February 26, 2005, 01:53:05 pm »
Cheers Kopi.  I'll give that one a miss then.  ;) :wave
Rather a day as a lion than a lifetime as a sheep.

I can only be nice to one person a day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look too good either.
I tried being reasonable.  I didn't like it.  Old enough to know better.  Young enough not to give a fuck.

Offline hooded claw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #473 on: February 26, 2005, 02:18:23 pm »
Effective Assessment in Modern Foreign Language Teaching. Not recommended.

aka 'Seeing as it's Friday afternoon 8J, we're having a French Vocab Test'.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2005, 04:53:10 pm by hooded claw »

Offline Steven Gerrard

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #474 on: February 26, 2005, 04:51:59 pm »
Im reading Stephens Kings IT i love this book it must be the 50th time i m reading it its class  :D
They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time, it works every time

Offline Mikeebee

• Legacy Fan
  • You've won a Blankety Blank Cheque Book & Pen
« Reply #475 on: February 26, 2005, 05:43:16 pm »
Caves of steel, Isaac Asimov
JFT 96 YNWA
@mikeebee7

Offline Stephen King

• Legacy Fan
  • Oh dear!
« Reply #476 on: February 26, 2005, 05:54:37 pm »
Im reading Stephens Kings IT i love this book it must be the 50th time i m reading it its class  :D

I remember reading IT one night when I got to a scarey bit I jumped and the light bulb blew and I was plunged into darkness.

Offline The Bill Hicks Appreciation Society

• It's not much I know, but this is the best Barney could come up with at short notice. Too tight to buy his own cross-dressing gear. AKA 'Condomhead'. Has apparently had Elton John.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lest we forget
    • Check out my RedmenTV Blogs
It looks like we've got ourselves a reader!
« Reply #477 on: March 15, 2005, 10:43:56 pm »
I don't read enough, tend to go through spurts of reading 12 books in a month, then I'll read one book in 12 months.

A lot of you seem to be on a similar wavelength and I'm not keen on going and buying books due to reviews, rather go by word of mouth....much more reliable.

In no particular order my top 10 must reads are;

1. Pimp (the story of my life) - Iceberg Slim aka Robert Beck

2. Mildred Pierce - J M Cain

3. The Great Gatsby - F. Scott Fitzgerald

4. The Great and Secret Show - Clive Barker

5. Brave New World - Aldous Huxley

6. Animal Farm - George Orwell

7. Catch 22 - Joseph Heller (picked it up and put it down about 10 times, but was well worth persisting with)

8. The Alienist - Caleb Carr

9. American Scream - Cynthia True

10. Norwegian Wood - Haruki Murakami

any recommendations welcome
Please take a look at my latest blog for theredmentv "Dispelling the Rodgers/Martinez myth" http://www.theredmentv.com/blog/p/263 All other blogs can be read at www.theredmentv.com/blog Let me know your thoughts

Offline Millsee

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: It looks like we've got ourselves a reader!
« Reply #478 on: March 15, 2005, 11:33:01 pm »
Club International Vol 23.5

Offline jemcgill

• Main Stander
  • Liverpool, for sure.
Re: It looks like we've got ourselves a reader!
« Reply #479 on: March 15, 2005, 11:41:50 pm »
I've read Gatsby, Animal Farm, Brave New World, and The Alienist.  The Alienist is my all time favourite "long train ride" book - my copy is nearly worn out!  Never fails to draw me into the story.   

I'd recommend Life of Pi by Yann Martel.