Author Topic: What was the last book you read?  (Read 592261 times)

Offline Redders

• Wish mine was wood
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
Re: What was the last book you read?
« Reply #320 on: December 13, 2004, 06:02:21 pm »
I think a padded cell would be more appropriate.    ;)

Offline Tom iGor

• gifted googler
  • Legacy Fan
  • http://www.minor7th.com/
« Reply #321 on: December 13, 2004, 06:03:13 pm »
*sigh*
Anyone? ???

Just read "A Christmas Carol"
 :D

or at least watch the muppets version.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2004, 06:04:46 pm by SuperIgorBanana »

Offline Drobs

• dnegeL
  • Legacy Fan
  • Someday, everything is gonna be different...
« Reply #322 on: December 13, 2004, 06:04:25 pm »
 :-X
**After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music **

Offline hooded claw

• Foiled by the Anthill Mob
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #323 on: December 13, 2004, 06:09:13 pm »
*sigh*

Anyone? ???

If I wasn't busy tonight, I'd read it just so you got a sensible answer!  :)

Offline Lynz

• Pink custard from Prague
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sexy Chick!
« Reply #324 on: December 13, 2004, 06:11:00 pm »
Nowt wrong with him generally Lynz (just had this conversation with a colleague of mine, also Ronan-bound soon)- it's the song in question. 'Fairytale of New York' is about regret, about broken hearts and dreams, about what might have been... what it is not about is twinkly Oirish sentiment and changing the words to avoid offending your key demographic.

Wrong choice for Ronan- just as if Shane Magowan or Nick Cave were to cover 'When you say nothing...'

One song out of how many?
 ::)

Offline Rob K

• He is the one and only! Naked and caked in mud
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ron Fucking Swanson
« Reply #325 on: December 13, 2004, 06:14:24 pm »
curently reading The Hobbit.

havent read it since school and realy enjoying it again, though i think the release of a certain very successful movie triolgy might of had something to do with me deciding to read it again.
Give me all the bacon and eggs you have...

Offline hooded claw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #326 on: December 13, 2004, 06:15:26 pm »
One song out of how many?
 ::)

OK point taken- it's just such a poor choice, you wonder his management didn't scream OI!! RONAN!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

Offline Drobs

• dnegeL
  • Legacy Fan
  • Someday, everything is gonna be different...
« Reply #327 on: December 13, 2004, 06:17:47 pm »
OK point taken- it's just such a poor choice, you wonder his management didn't scream OI!! RONAN!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

Because they knew his target audience would be too young to have a fecking clue!  :wave
**After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music **

Offline hooded claw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #328 on: December 13, 2004, 06:30:20 pm »
curently reading The Hobbit.

havent read it since school and realy enjoying it again, though i think the release of a certain very successful movie triolgy might of had something to do with me deciding to read it again.

A couple of years ago I downloaded what I thought was a trailer for LOTR part II- it turned out to be a trailer for Peter Jackson's The Hobbit, complete with Smaug in full attack mode. None of the footage appeared in LOTR, but I've never heard of plans to film The Hobbit...any ideas?

Offline Rob K

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ron Fucking Swanson
« Reply #329 on: December 13, 2004, 06:39:33 pm »
rumour has it peter jackson is gonna do the hobbit after hes finished king kong.

and according to my mate he mentions on one of the extra discs to The Return Of The King that hes got 2 new projects to do. one being king kong, doesnt mention the 2nd just smiles....

also, ian mckellen has apparently already sed he'll do gandalf in The Hobbit if asked. id imagine that gollum, elrond and bilbo will be played by the same actors too.

Offline hooded claw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #330 on: December 13, 2004, 06:41:48 pm »
Quality, that would be- Ian Holm is Bilbo, and has been since the Radio 4 version years back. Just strange to see completed footage on Kazaa for a film that hasn't been made- looked bloody lovely too

Offline Rob K

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ron Fucking Swanson
« Reply #331 on: December 13, 2004, 06:46:42 pm »
cool. am looking forward to see how smaug is done. cant imagine itll be anything other than impressive.

Ian Holm is Bilbo,

cant imagine any of the characters played by different actors, just wouldnt feel right.

Offline saph

• Magnificent seven lesbian
  • Legacy Fan
  • it could look like a liverbird after a few pints
« Reply #332 on: December 15, 2004, 10:50:03 pm »
just finished nicky allt's book. quite melancholic at the end. agree with his points on the lack of atmosphere/money issues. BUT don't liek the fact he tried to blame oot'ers for it. also couldn't get my head roudn the fact he was homophobic on three occassions in an unjustified manner. it's always unjustified but this seemed even more so. that ruined what was otherwise a good read.
sponsored by 2 NaCl + 2 H2O → Cl2 + H2 + 2 NaOH

Offline fudge

• RAWK Gaylord
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm a swine, its my nature"
    • Fat man dancing
« Reply #333 on: December 15, 2004, 10:51:49 pm »
If you like the Hobbit, try the Magician by Raymond E Feist.

Blows it away, honest
Rubber Dinghy Rapids....

Offline BIGdavalad

• Major Malfunction. Yearns To Be A Crab! MOD Agony Aunt. Dulldream Believer. Is the proud owner of a one year old login time.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #334 on: December 16, 2004, 10:00:43 am »
Eye of the Storm by Peter Radcliffe DCM (ex Regimental Sergeant Major of 22 Special Air Service Regiment) - his story, mostly of his time with 22 SAS although there is a little bit about growing up in the Manchester slums just after World War 2. Includes the truth behind the other SAS Desert Storm books (he's particularly scathing about McNab and Ryan, especially the bits in the books that they "forgot" during their official debriefing after the war). Well worth a read if you're interested in the SAS.
7/10
Joining Betfair? Use the referral code UHHFL6VHG and we'll both get some extra cash.

All of the above came from my head unless otherwise stated. If you have been affected by the issues raised by my post, please feel free to contact us on 0800 1234567 and we will send you an information pack on manning the fuck up.

Offline DaveLFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #335 on: December 16, 2004, 10:36:53 am »
Dean Koontz 'Taken'
The consequences of rejecting reality are not immediate but they are inevitable

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Semper in excremento, sole profundum qui variat.
  • Super Title: Coming soon! Official Launch May 2008
« Reply #336 on: December 16, 2004, 10:38:16 am »
Dean Koontz 'Taken'

Haven't read that one. Any good?
Koontz is very hit and miss, sometimes brilliant, somethimes shit, so it's nice tohave a recommendation...
I'm no longer on RAWK, but if you need to contact me about anything, you can email me on nigelmorrison@connectfree.co.uk

Offline cakmin

• Estoy aburrido
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • La Ostra
« Reply #337 on: December 16, 2004, 10:45:38 am »
A History of The Arab People, written by Albert Hourani, with afterword from Malise Ruthven, first published in 1991, the afterword in 2002.

I recommend you read it  :)

Offline Mirra

• The Cock of RAWK. desperately seeking two fat ladies. His ass found glass in the grass.
  • Legacy Fan
  • No one on the corner got a swagger like me
« Reply #338 on: December 23, 2004, 02:44:16 am »
Reading Mad Dog about Johnny Adair, think Keith mentioned it earlier. Its interesting. Nearly finished it  :wave
Mirra, 7777 wake up the thread needs you!

Offline J££RARD

• Thai me up, Thai me down.
  • Legacy Fan
  • be nice or F.O.
« Reply #339 on: December 23, 2004, 03:21:57 am »
The Norwegian Wood by Murakami, this book inspired by The Beatles's song- Norwegian Wood. 
my twitter rant: @jeerard

Offline keithcun

• Shameless destroyer of Warringtons finest cinematoria, claims he used to have a large one...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #340 on: December 23, 2004, 05:03:39 am »
Reading Mad Dog about Johnny Adair, think Keith mentioned it earlier. Its interesting. Nearly finished it :wave

Yeah,read it a couple of weeks ago,and quite revealing of what went on.

Just been lent a book called "Free the Manchester United One" by Graham Sharpe.

It's about the fixing of a game between Man United and Liverpool around World War One time,but the interesting thing about it is that it was lent to me by a relation of Patrick O'Connell who was the captain of United around that time,and the book contains a lot of little notes all the way through in pencil,by whom,I'm not sure
I might have single handedly ruined Warrington's picture houses,but personally thought my pocket money was better spent at Anfield.

Offline Maggie May

• A true Grandmother of Sirs. The Next Vera Lynne. The Pigeon Queen. Lobster Botherer Knockout Champ. RAWK's favourite gog. Belshie Gets Hard For Her. Call that a knife??
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit. Semper Fi
« Reply #341 on: December 23, 2004, 09:07:47 am »
I'm stopping myself from reading "Supreme Courage" by General Sir Peter de la Billiere - "Heroic Stories from 150 Years of the Victoria Cross" or I'll never get anything done - saving it for Christmas week.  I was going to buy "Redcoat" but saw this, skimmed it (well had to have it taken forcibly off me and be dragged out of the bookshop actually) and had to have it.  He deals with 11 stories together with the history and concept of the medal, and has picked them to represent the three armed forces, the Eastern Allies and the Canadian Aces and, astonishingly, a chapter on "phoneys" - people who were so desperate for reflected glory that they pretended they had won the VC when they had not - the funniest of which is the story of Mrs Didy Grahame, the Association's formidable Secretary, who fronted out Idi Amin and forced him to take his phoney VC off his chest, telling him he made himself "a laughing stock" by wearing it - some ballsy lady. 

Anyway, by a supreme effort of will I'm keeping my nose out of it for now, alas.  :(

Rather a day as a lion than a lifetime as a sheep.

I can only be nice to one person a day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look too good either.
I tried being reasonable.  I didn't like it.  Old enough to know better.  Young enough not to give a fuck.

Offline Jimbo.

• Skint
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #342 on: December 23, 2004, 09:10:32 am »
Deception Point - Dan Brown.

Fucking brilliant.
Couldn't put it down.
Quote from: Dan_L
Chester is in chesirte, trasmneraeeeee is in wirral dfivo 1adand lpoolis merseydie lpoo2-1 everpuyokton |BluESHITE!!!!!!wert sr76yipeeeeeeeeeeeee113wt4aee

Offline Maggie May

• A true Grandmother of Sirs. The Next Vera Lynne. The Pigeon Queen. Lobster Botherer Knockout Champ. RAWK's favourite gog. Belshie Gets Hard For Her. Call that a knife??
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #343 on: December 23, 2004, 09:28:05 am »

Fucking brilliant.
Couldn't put it down.

Whats it about please Tiny Jim?  Always eager for tips on a good book   :wave

I can only be nice to one person a day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look too good either.
I tried being reasonable.  I didn't like it.  Old enough to know better.  Young enough not to give a fuck.

Offline keithcun

• Shameless destroyer of Warringtons finest cinematoria, claims he used to have a large one...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #344 on: December 23, 2004, 02:37:23 pm »
Looks like I'm gonna have to do an updated synopsis on some of the books recently mentioned.

It'll have to wait till the morning though.
I might have single handedly ruined Warrington's picture houses,but personally thought my pocket money was better spent at Anfield.

Offline Maggie May

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #345 on: December 23, 2004, 02:44:58 pm »
You're a hero Keith mate - and your efforts really are greatly appreciated.  :-* :wave

Offline keithcun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #346 on: December 23, 2004, 02:46:07 pm »
No probs Maggie,I'm surprised this thread lasted so long anyway. :D :-*

Offline keithcun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #347 on: December 23, 2004, 05:08:03 pm »
Just finished Ricky Tomlinson's autobiography for the third time. Couldn't put it down - it's superb and interesting to see what Liverpool was like before 1987!

Great read that book with a lot of honesty.

Offline keithcun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #348 on: December 24, 2004, 05:27:39 am »
Touching from a Distance: Ian Curtis and "Joy Division"   - Deborah Curtis

A superb, insightful and chillingly honest portrayal of Ian Curtis and his life with Joy Division. Its all too easy to reflect on dead musicians as icons especially when they made such heart-stopping music as Joy Division. Truly no-one ever wrote lyrics like Curtis and the depth and soul of his delivery will ensure that his legend will live on.

However, what this book tells us is the other side: the young northern man prone to jealousy, emotional manipulation and adultery. Walking a fine line between genius and homewrecker, confusion and cruelty, Curtis comes across more human than ever as is unable to deal with his domesticity and the dark soul of Joy Division.

As his illness increases, so does the band's success and his split (on the one hand a poetic, intense man with depth and vision and on the other a brutal, immature boy with attention-seeking qualities) becomes more and more polar until his inevitable inability to hold the two disparate sides of his life together.

A wonderful book, well-written and very close to the bone. Deborah Curtis has succeeded in showing the lesser-known side of Ian Curtis without resorting to the type of bitching so frequent of biographys. Complete with lyrics (of their entire catalogue and unreleased stuff) and discography etc. this is an essential book for any music fan.

Gang War: The Inside Story of the Manchester Gangs - Peter Walsh

In the mid-1980s, a Chicago-style gang war erupted on the streets of one of Britain's major cities that continues unabated to this day. Gangsters with automatic weaponry brought terror to the streets of Manchester. Investigative author Peter Walsh traces the inside story of the Manchester mobs and their bloody internecine feuding. He reveals how top villains took over the drug trade and nightclub security, leaving more than three dozen dead, and tells how a new gang culture evolved unlike anything seen before in the UK.

What A Carve Up - Jonathan Coe

This is the first Coe book I've read and I loved it. It's funny and clever, develops the plot in a fragmented, looping chronology with multiple perspectives, sources, and interlocking stories - all presided over by a very unhappy and frustrated lead narrator. You know, the sort of things you find in Martin Amis, Julian Barnes, and Will Self novels (and seemingly all serious films since at least 'Pulp Fiction'). But it is more straightforward, with less literary ambition, or pretension, than what I've read from those authors. The story is much easier to follow, and one can say exactly what happens at the end, rather than speculating on the desultory and stridently ambiguous finishes those other authors frequently give us.

The unfashionable clarity is a result of the book's overt politics. I find that Amis and Self bury their political commentary in stories that focus on how tormented their characters feel by the unexplained vagaries of life and how irreversibly complex it's all become. Coe, on the other hand, is willing to identify and blame the forces that have made society such a mess and living so hard to figure out. It's not some Fat Controller with supernatural powers, nor a mysterious seeming-friend doing improbable things with the money system to play out a personal grudge. It's right-wing politicians and businesses who, among other things: control our news sources and fill them with meaningless gossip or misleading agitprop, stoke up wars and profit on arms sales, industrialise food production at the expense of the ecology and consumer health, and intentionally ruin our public services to serve their theological devotion to laissez faire economics. In this way, Coe actually has more intellectual heft than the authors who imply that the world is just cosmically, unfathomably unfair and unpleasant. He's telling us that the malignant forces are entirely within our control, were we willing to stand up to the bent plutocratic filth that are allowed to run our governments and economy.

The House of Sleep - Jonathan Coe

Without a doubt 'The House of Sleep' is one of the best books I've ever read. I started reading it expecting it to be a slow starter... and I could hardly put it down. It created many late nights for me. The late episode with the footnote is hilarious - I had to bite my lip to stop myself disturbing my housemates in the middle of the night by laughing out loud. My only uncertainty is to do with the conference scene - it was perhaps a little too long and too detailed. It also didn't seem to quite fit with Gregory Dudden's character, but these are minor in comparison with the overall impact of this book. I would unequivocally recommend it to anyone who wants to be drawn in to a different world - I ended the book not entirely sure why it was so good - in essence it is fairly easy to read, although complicated - but knowing for sure that it WAS good. When the image of the film still and the identity of one of the characters - I won't say which in case you've not read it - is revealed I was left marvelling at the cleverness at the same time as wondering why I hadn't spotted it before. There is no doubt that Jonathan Coe is a writer deserving to be acknowledged as one of the greats of our time.

The Bookseller of Kabul  by Asne Seierstad.

Sultan Khan is the head of a prosperous Kabul family. A bookseller by trade, he has seen his books burnt by one regime, defaced by another, then burnt again. As the Taliban regime falls in 2001, he meets Norwegian war correspondent, Seierstad. They agree that Seierstad should live with his family for several months. This book is the stunning result.

It reads like fiction -- penetrating, prejudicial and convincing but, although names have been changed, it is an honest, warts and all, account of life in Kabul. Khan, seemingly urbane, educated and liberal, is the tyrannical head of large family – mother, siblings, two wives and five children. Khan’s subjugation of the women in his family is shocking from a Western point of view: As Seierstad moves into his home, Khan takes a second wife, a sexy, uneducated sixteen-year-old, dishonouring and cutting to the quick his loyal and educated first wife: his youngest sister is treated as little more than a slave. And it is this that is the meat of the book; the personal power struggles that exist within the family – struggles which Khan will always win.

The shocking portrait of women’s lives, even under the liberalising regime of Afghan leader Karzai, is frightening, repulsive even from a western perspective, but there is nothing here to suggest that Khan is anything other than a typical head of the family. His mother, sisters, wives and daughters, seem to lose identity under the burqa, which hides not only their femininity and personality, but also their imaginations. Not here will you find justification of the regime: these women resent, in different ways, their position. Nor do the other men of the family fair much better: Khan’s 19 year old, sexually frustrated, son learns from a friend how to exploit helpless, penniless war widows, safe in the knowledge that if he caught, it will be the women who are condemned: but he too resents Khan’s iron fist, particular when it falls on a wretched carpenter who steals postcards. Khan, driven by his sense of honour, insists on full punishment, despite the fact that this will make the carpenter’s family destitute. Khan’s youngest son is forced to work 12 hours a day selling sweets in a hotel foyer when he would rather be a school, something which Khan could easily afford.

Seierstad clearly feels for the women, but also for the country: the sense of what Afghanistan was – a prosperous, beautiful land– what it became through years of strife, conflict and war, and what it could be, pervade every chapter.

No doubt this book will nestle against numerous Afghanistan travelogues in the bookshops but don’t be fooled. Reading it is a unique experience. Some will see Seierstad’s expose as disrespectable to Khan, to women, to Afghanistan and to Islam. Perhaps it is. But it nonetheless provides a unique insight into a country that has so long been closed to western eyes.

Court Martial - Sven Hassell

This has to be the best Sven Hassel novel. Having said that it's also his most bloody. His series of short stories of Tiny, Porta, the Old Man, the Legionnaire and the rest fighting on the Eastern Front will keep you up at night. If you like to put a book down and forget it then this is not something you should read, the stories will get into your head and never leave you. I should know I've read this multiple times over the last 15 years since I first picked up a copy of it.

All Quiet On The Western Front - Erich Maria Remarque

When I read this brilliant book I felt so many emotions, but I suppose the underlying emotion would be sadness. I felt when I was reading this classic book, that every schoolboy should be made to read this book, for it depicks war as it is, without all the glamour and hero worship that some books and films portray. I thought birdsong was a great book showing how people change from a traumatic experience such as world war 1. But all quiet on the western front leaves It for dead in this area in my opinion. I will never forget this incredible educational and wonderful book. I am so glad It was written from the German perspective, because it shows us that underneath our exterior frames, we are the same. We have the same fears and dreams. My last words about this book is read it if you dare the experience will live with you forever.

White Gold: The Extraordinary Story of Thomas Pellow and North Africa's One Million European Slaves - Giles Milton

Writer and journalist Giles Milton specializes in the history of travel and exploration. His latest literary adventure, White Gold, is the story of Thomas Pellow, a Cornish cabin boy who was captured at sea by a group of fanatical Islamic slave traders—the Barbary corsairs, taken in chains to the great slave markets of Algiers, Tunis and Salè in Morocco and sold to the highest bidder. Pellow’s purchaser happened to be the tyrannical sultan of Morroco, Moulay Ismail, a man committed to building a vast imperial pleasure palace of unsurpassable splendour built entirely by Christian slave labour. After enduring long periods of torture Pellow converted to Islam and became the personal slave of the sultan for over two decades—including a stint as a soldier in the sultan’s army—before finally making a dramatic escape and return to Cornwall. The account is supported by the unpublished letters and manuscripts of slaves and the various ambassadors sent to free them. This is an excellently written account of the history of the white slave trade. Pellow’s story is an extraordinary one but the real interest lies in the picture Milton builds of life in the slave pens and especially of daily life at the court of the spectacularly barbaric Moulay Ismail.

Redcoat: The British Soldier in the Age of Horse and Musket   - Richard Holmes Erik

The battlefield museum of Waterloo, Richard Holmes comments in Redcoat, tells us much about Napoleon, Wellington and their senior commanders but far less about the men they led. Holmes aims, in this massively researched history, to redress the balance. He does so by piling up facts, information and anecdotes, many of them culled from memoirs of the period, to illustrate the everyday life of British soldiers in the 18th and 19th centuries, from the Battle of Blenheim to the Crimean War. In the hands of a less gifted historian this might have made for a dry, daunting and overpowering text. Holmes, however, has a sharp eye for the telling details and the memorable stories that bring the past to life. He pays as much attention to the small-scale as to the larger picture: a soldier is promoted because "his beautiful black eyes and whiskers had attracted the notice of his colonel's lady"; Crimea-bound infantrymen play cricket in "what the scorebook calls Sultan's Valley, Asia Minor"; black musician-soldiers enrich the repertoire of a regimental band; a respected military surgeon is revealed, after death, to have been a woman dressed as a man. Yet Holmes is always aware of that larger picture and of the hardships and dangers of the military life. His chapters on the floggings and punishments inflicted on the common soldier and on the terrible wounds that battle could bring--which again make vivid use of period memoirs--are often very moving. Anyone wanting to find out how the ordinary soldier of the 18th and 19th centuries was recruited, how he was drilled, how he fought, how he lived and (often) how he died, need look no further than this impressive work of popular history.

Secret Smile - Nicci French

I too am a huge fan of Nicci French, having read every single one of her previous books (I consider Land of the Living, Killing me Softly and Beneath the Skin her best) but I was strangely disappointed by Secret Smile.. The style of writing is as engaging as always, the narrative well-written and enjoyable, but the plot just seemed to ramble on without "taking off".. I found it very annoying how the heroine just couldn't get her point across and how everyone else was so enamoured of the "bad guy".. Every time she tried to warn people about him she just clammed up and said "never mind, what's the point" and on and on it went like that...

Having said that, the book does keep you wondering about the outcome, but even that is pretty disappointing.. the "surprise" kind of falls flat. If you're already a fan of Nicci French just wait for the next one.. if you're not familiar with her books, don't start with this one, start with the ones mentioned above...

Both Sides of the Fence:A Life Undercover by Dave Corbett.

As one of a handful of UK police officers trained in SAS deep-cover surveillance, David Corbett infiltrated the toughest communities, living among junkies, prostitutes, murderers and firearm dealers, in order to gather evidence that would lead to dozens of convictions. His rapport with hardened criminals was forged during his youth on the mean streets of Glasgow, where he ran with the gangs, joyriding and stealing. But when his friends began disappearing into borstals, Corbett decided it was time to take himself in hand and followed his father into the police force. His ability to mingle with gangsters was soon identified as an asset and, after serving time in the CID - where he was involved in investigating the murder of Arthur Thompson Junior, the son of Glasgow's Godfather - he became an undercover agent with the Crime Squad. He trained in urban and rural surveillance and invented a fictional past for himself.

Like Donnie Brasco, the legendary US cop who won the trust of the Mafia, Corbett risked his life every day: one false move and his cover would have been blown. The pinnacle of his career was an operation in the former pit town of Blyth, where there had been 15 drug-related deaths in 12 months. Leaving his wife and family, he spent five months undercover, wired up, winning the confidence of the dealers, and had to cope with having his life endangered by a corrupt officer. Corbett's work led to 31 convictions and commendations from the Chief Constable and a Crown Court judge but, without any form of counselling, the stress took its toll and he was forced into early retirement. Now, betrayed by the force that sent him out on these dangerous missions, Corbett reveals the gripping story of life in the perilous world of an undercover cop. 

Mad Dod:The Rise and Fall of Johnny Adair and 'C' Company by David Lister and Hugh Jordan.

A mindless sectarian psychopath or a loyalist folk hero who took the war to the IRA's front door? The name Johnny "Mad Dog" Adair is synonymous with a killing spree by loyalist terrorists that took Northern Ireland to the brink of civil war. From humble beginnings as a rioter and glue-sniffer on Belfast's Shankill Road, Adair rose through the ranks of the outlawed Ulster Freedom Fighters to head its merciless killing machine, "C Company". Surrounded by a group of trusted friends, his reign of terror in the early 1990s claimed the lives of up to 40 Catholics, picked out at random as Adair's hitmen roamed Belfast. Determined to lead from the front, his men even fired a rocket at Sinn Fein's headquarters, writing themselves into loyalist mythology and embarrassing the IRA in its republican heartland. Its desperate attempts to kill Adair culminated in October 1993, when a bomb on the Shankill Road, intended for the loyalist godfather, claimed the lives of nine Protestant civilians. "Mad Dog" describes in graphic detail Adair's criminal empire and an egomaniac's bloody war against Catholics and anybody else who got in his way. Adair's friends and enemies talk for the first time about the murders he ordered, his sordid personal life, and his attempts - ultimately disastrous - to become Northern Ireland's supreme loyalist figurehead. Using sensational new material, the authors expose the mass murderers who did Adair's bidding and provide new insights into some of the biggest secrets of the Troubles, including the controversial murder of Patrick Finucane, the Catholic solicitor. With Adair back in jail until 2005, the final chapter of this story has yet to be written. One thing, however, is certain: we have not heard the last from a man who is unlikely to live out the rest of his life in obscurity

The Simeon Chamber - Steve Martini.

When lawyer Sam Bogardus agrees to see Jennifer Davies, little does he realize he is putting his life at risk. Jennifer is trying to trace her father, her only clue being four pages of the journal of Sir Francis Drake. And it seems that someone is willing to kill to prevent Sam achieving his goal.

Pompeii - Richard Harris

Certain thriller writers burst upon the scene with considerable impact: Forsyth with The Day of the Jackal, Cruz Smith with Gorky Park and Robert Harris with the masterly Fatherland. Interestingly, of these three authors, by far the most consistent has been Harris, and his new novel, Pompeii is in some ways his most audacious offering yet, a brilliantly orchestrated thriller-cum-historical recreation that plays outrageous tricks with the reader's expectations.
As in the equally adroit Enigma, Harris takes a familiar historical event (there, the celebrated code-breakers at Bletchley Park, here the volcanic obliteration of an Italian city in AD79) and seamlessly weaves a characteristically labyrinthine plot in and around the existing facts. But that's not all he does here: few novelists who (unlike Harris) make a speciality of ancient history for their setting pull off the sense of period quite as impressively as the author does here. As the famous catastrophe approaches, we are pleasurably immersed in the sights, sounds and smells of the Ancient World, each detail conjured with jaw-dropping verisimilitude.

Harris's protagonist is the engineer Marcus Attilius, placed in charge of the massive aqueduct that services the teeming masses living in and around the Bay of Naples. Despite the pride he takes in his job, Marcus has pressing concerns: his predecessor in the job has mysteriously vanished, and another task is handed to Marcus by the scholar Pliny: he is to undertake crucial repairs to the aqueduct near Pompeii, the city in the shadow of the restless Mount Vesuvius. And as Marcus faces several problems--all life threatening--an event approaches that will make all his concerns seem petty.

Other writers have placed narratives in the shadow of this most famous of volcanic cataclysms, but Harris triumphantly ensures that his characters' individual dramas are not dwarfed by implacable nature; Marcus is a vividly drawn hero: complex, conflicted and a canny synthesis of modern and ancient mindsets. Some may wish that Harris might return to something closer to our time in his next novel, but few who take this trip into a dangerous past will be able to resist Harris's spellbinding historical saga

Wellington -The Iron Duke - Richard Holmes

We associate Wellington so much with the battle of Waterloo that it's easy to forget that, before the battle, he had had a long military career already and that, after it, he had an even longer career as politician, prime minister and pillar of the establishment. Richard Holmes's admirably clear and succinct biography of the Duke has a chapter on his youth as a slightly awkward loner from the Anglo-Irish nobility and a concluding chapter which races swiftly through the 37 years of his post-Waterloo life. However the bulk of the book, unsurprisingly, is given over to a description and analysis of his military exploits.
As viewers of his TV series and readers of his previous books will know, Holmes is a brilliant interpreter of battlefields and what took place on them. He has visited most of the sites of Wellington's battles, not only those in Europe but those in India where the young Arthur Wellesley, as he then was, gained his first experiences as a general. (Wellington himself, in later life, claimed that his finest military achievement was not Waterloo but the winning of the Battle of Assaye during the Maratha Wars in 1803.) He uses his knowledge of the battle sites and his familiarity with all the extensive literature on the Peninsular War and Waterloo to produce a vivid account of Wellington's string of successes as a general. As the quotes in this book from his writings and despatches show, Wellington had a gift for the striking phrase and for concise description of complicated events. It's a gift his biographer shares and Holmes has produced a very readable and enjoyable book.

Driving Big Davie - Colin Bateman

For many years Dan Starkey has been a journalist of some repute – mainly ill. Now he is back with his wife Patricia, and while they try for a baby he is aiming to keep himself out of trouble. Had he not been caught in a rather awkward position when he received a phonecall from Big Davie Kincaird, he might not have decided to return to the village of Groomsport. And had he not drunk too much in order to cover the awkwardness of seeing this friend he hasn’t known for 25 years, he might not have found himself agreeing to go on honeymoon... in Florida... for three weeks... with Big Davie. What else could possibly go wrong?

Starter for Ten  - David Nicholls

I read this in two sittings as I couldn't wait to find out the conclusion of the bitter-sweet story of Brian and the lovely Alice. As a fan of "University Challenge" as well as having been a student during the 1980s, this was the perfect book. I groaned with Brian as he made every effort to be cool; I recognized his anguish and uncertainty and laughed loudly at the many funny yet true observations which he made. The author has not forgotten what it was like to be a new student during freshers' week, and his description of a first week party was just as I remembered it. Read this on the train and offer to read snippets to those sitting around you. It will surely cheer them up.

'The Cameo Murders  - Barry Shortall

I found this book far too pedantic and scholarly,(notwithstanding the type errors)compared to other accounts of the Cameo Murders, particularly the earlier "The Cameo Conspiracy". Unlike the author of that book, Mr Shortall merely hints at the quite obvious police and judicial conpiracy which took place in 1949-50. His attitude to the devilish Inspector Balmer and the two "hanging judges" Oliver & Cassels in both trials, is also ambivalent. As was said about Basil Neild KC, one of the defence counsel at the first trial, the author seems "willing to wound but afraid to strike."

The "Bounty" Mutiny  - Edward Christian

On an April morning in 1789 near the island of Tonga, William Bligh and eighteen surly seamen were expelled from the Bounty and began the greatest open-boat voyage in history, sailing some 4,000 miles to safety in Timor. The mutineers, led by Fletcher Christian, sailed off in the Bounty and were never heard of again. Contains: the full text of Bligh's Narrative of the Mutiny, the minutes of the court proceedings gathered by Edward Christian in an effort to clear his brother's name, and the correspondence between Bligh and Christian, and a selection of later Bounty narratives.

Big Bad Wolf - James Patterson

As with all Patterson books once you have started you find it incredibly difficult to put it down, I really enjoy Alex Cross and the 'big bad wolf was no exception' but really 'James' where is the rest of it, there is a new book not yet published Im wondering is this the sequal, I really need to know what happens to little Alex and who is the Wolf, in true Patterson fashion he's keeping us hanging but not only to the last page Im disapointed that I have to wait for another book to get to the climax. You'll enjoy it but it will really leave you wanting more!!!

I, Claudius and Claudius the God  - Robert Graves

Robert Graves writes a majestic, hilarious and moving portrayal of ancient Rome extending from the benevolent reign of Augustus, through the tyranny of Tiberius and the insanity of Caligula, to the triumphs and tribulations of Claudius. Drawing on a huge knowledge of ancient history to present a (largely) factual account of the times, Graves fills the gaps with a wonderful array of salacious events, and gives each character fullness, especially Claudius himself who is one of the great characters in modern fiction. These two books are never dry and stuffy, by contrast they are overflowing with freshness and vitality. As relevant to today's events than any contemporary work, I Claudius and Claudius the God are essential reading.

King of the World - David Remnick

You'd think there wouldn't be much left to say about a living icon like Muhammad Ali, yet David Remnick imbues King of the World with all the freshness and vitality this legendary fighter displayed in his prime. Beginning with the pre-Ali days of boxing and its two archetypes, Floyd Patterson (the good black heavyweight) and Sonny Liston (the bad black heavyweight), Remnick deftly sets the stage for the emergence of a heavyweight champion the likes of which the world had never seen: a three-dimensional, Technicolor showman, fighter and minister of Islam, a man who talked almost as well as he fought. But mostly Remnick's portrait is of a man who could not be confined to any existing stereotypes, inside the ring or out.
In extraordinary detail, Remnick depicts Ali as a creation of his own imagination as we follow the wilful and mercurial young Cassius Clay from his boyhood and watch him hone and shape himself to a figure who would eventually command centre stage in one of the most volatile decades in our history. To Remnick it seems clear that Ali's greatest accomplishment is to prove beyond a doubt that not only is it possible to challenge the implacable forces of the establishment (the noir-ish, gangster-ridden fight game and the ethos of a whole country) but, with the right combination of conviction and talent, to triumph over these forces.

The Forgotten Soldier: The True Story of a Young German Soldier on the Russian Front   - Guy Sajer

If like me you are a little nervous picking up books about war and think that they may only glorify the great scale of battles, victories and tactics then I would recommend the Forgotten Soldier by Guy Sajer. This book is a first person account of life on the eastern front from the perspective of a young, naive man, which simultaneously depicts the fall of nazi Germany and the destruction of the illusions of the German people.

When, as the teenage son of a French father and a German Mother Sajer signs up to join the German army, his enthusiasm for war is unbounded. However, three years of experience in the either scorched or frozen desolation of wartime eastern Europe reveals an unremitting crushing of his idealism. From the cruel army regime and its sometimes deadly training approach, through frostbite, starvation and the slaughter of friends, enemy and innocents, this account graphically reveals the true horror of war.

Many of the scenes in the book will haunt the reader for days afterwards. The sense of futility and the suspension of reason in the mad world of war grows throughout the book and the reader is drawn in deep; to the extent that you genuinely feel like you are sharing in the experience.

This book deserves to be compulsory reading for anyone who is interested in twentieth century history. It is worth a hundred dry historical accounts and demonstartes above all the power of the individual as a witness to a world and circumstances out of his control.

Vernon God Little - DBC Pierre

If there's any justice, it is only a matter of time before the work of the curiously-named DBC Pierre becomes essential reading for anyone interested in cutting-edge writing today. Vernon God Little is a book that has a totally individual (and very quirky) identity, from a writer with a finger on the pulse of contemporary society (particularly its less comfortable aspects). Pierre is also a satirical writer in the vein of such talents as Terry Southern, and there is a manic quality to his work that makes the experience of reading him both disorienting and exhilarating. As a first novel, this is a remarkable achievement.
Teenager Vernon Gregory Little's life has been changed by the Columbine-style slaughter of a group of students at his high school. Soon his hole-in-the-wall town is blanketed under a media siege, and Vernon finds himself blamed for the killing (rather than the real culprit, a friend of Vernon's). Eulalio Ledesma is his particular nemesis, manipulating things so that Vernon becomes the fulcrum for the bizarre and vengeful impulses of the townspeople of Martirio. After a truly surrealistic set of events, Vernon finds himself heading for a fateful assignation in Mexico with the delectable Taylor Figueros (everyone in the book has names as odd as the author's).

By setting his novel in the barbecue-sauce capital of Central Texas, Pierre ensures that his narrative is going to be some distance from naturalistic writing. And as a scalpel-like satirical incision into the mores of contemporary America, reality TV and media hysteria, Vernon God Little often reads like a fractured modern-day take on such novels as John Kennedy Toole's A Confederacy of Dunces

Ilium (Gollancz S.F.)   - Dan Simmons

Genre-hopping Dan Simmons returns to science fiction with the vast and intricate masterpiece Ilium. Within, Simmons weaves three astounding story lines into one Earth, Mars and Jupiter-shattering cliffhanger that will leave readers aching for the sequel.
On Earth, a post-technological group of humans, pampered by servant machines and easy travel via "faxing," begins to question its beginnings. Meanwhile, a team of sentient and Shakespeare-quoting robots from Jupiter's lunar system embark on a mission to Mars to investigate an increase in dangerous quantum fluctuations. On the Red Planet, they'll find a race of metahumans living out existence as the pantheon of classic Greek gods. These "gods" have recreated the Trojan War with reconstituted Greeks and Trojans and staffed it with scholars from throughout Earth's history who observe the events and report on the accuracy of Homer's Iliad. One of these scholars, Thomas Hockenberry, finds himself tangled in the midst of interplay between the gods and their playthings and sends the war reeling in a direction the blind poet could have never imagined.

Simmons creates an exciting and thrilling tale set in the thick of the Trojan War as seen through Hockenberry's 20th-century eyes. At the same time, Simmons's robots study Shakespeare and Proust and the origin-seeking Earthlings find themselves caught in a murderous retelling of The Tempest. Reading this highly literate novel does take more than a passing familiarity with at least The Iliad but readers who can dive into these heady waters and swim with the current will be amply rewarded.

Ronnie: The Autobiography of Ronnie O'Sullivan   - Ronnie O' Sullivan

In Ronnie O'Sullivan's autobiography, Ronnie, the language is uncompromising, the subject matter challenging and the approach unflinching. Even in an age when inner demons are considered to be an essential part of a star's entourage, Ronnie O'Sullivan's autobiography is a class apart. Undisputedly the most charismatic talent in the game of snooker, the public's successor to Alex Higgins and Jimmy White in the lineage of gunslinger, wide-boy heroes, O'Sullivan began rewriting the record books as a child prodigy, and reached the summit of his game as world champion in 2001--but all along, his life was falling apart.
Ronnie (written with Guardian journalist Simon Hattenstone) is a stark affirmation for those of us who would believe that there must be more to being a top professional sportsman than simply working hard to develop talent--that there are often dark, elemental forces driving achievers to go beyond the point where most of us would cease to care. Ronnie's relationship with his parents is at the heart of the story, underpinning his struggle for contentment, his descent into depression and addiction. We learn that the tabloid facts--his father ran a string of sex shops, was convicted of killing a man in a fight and sentenced to life imprisonment; later his mother was also imprisoned, for tax evasion--are just the half of it.

The style is confessional without being mawkish, and thankfully, O'Sullivan's brand of openness, particularly when chronicling his periods in therapy (including with former England cricket captain turned psychiatrist Mike Brearley) and at the Priory, is free of the awful self-aggrandisement and "me-isms" that blight the official public accounts of many celebrities.

Ultimately this is a tale of redemption, of a young man dismantled by experience, now putting himself back together. O'Sullivan closes the book looking back to the beginning of his public life, his mid-teens, when he first tied his fortunes to professional snooker. He sees it as a golden era, off and on the baize, a period of personal happiness and sporting success the like of which he at last believes has not been lost forever.

The Innocent - Ian McEwan

The setting is Berlin. Into this divided city, wrenched between East and West, between past and present; comes twenty-five-year-old Leonard Marnham, assigned to a British-American surveillance team. Though only a pawn in an international plot that is never fully revealed to him, Leonard uses his secret work to escape the bonds of his ordinary life – and to lose his unwanted innocence. The promise of his new life begins to be fulfilled as Leonard becomes a crucial part of the surveillance team, while simultaneously being initiated into a new world of love and sex by Maria, a beautiful young German woman. It is a promise that turns to horror in the course of one terrible evening – a night when Leonard Marnham learns just how much of his innocence he's willing to shed.

Striptease - Carl Hiaasen
Congressman David Dilbeck has a bad problem. "I should never," he says, "be around naked women." But he just can't stay away. And late one night, at a gaudy Fort Lauderdale strip joint, Dilbeck loses control. He leaps onto the stage with the performers and proceeds to demonstrate his affections in a most unconventional way. The congressman barely escapes the scene, but not before being recognized by an odd little customer known as Mr. Peepers - an unlikely blackmailer, but (it turns out) a cunn ...

The Gospel of St Mark - Morna Dorothy Hooker

Morna Hooker's analysis is an extremely thorough study of almost every single facet of Mark's original gospel. She backs up every point she makes with a plethora of Old Testament references, invaluable when writing gobbets. The only thing stopping her from achieving 5 stars is that her text is at times rather inaccessible or dense, and so this book is really only for advanced students. It probably goes without saying, but it is not a novel - it is a study aid.

The Krays: The Final Countdown - The Ultimate Biography of Ron, Reg and Charlie Kray  - Colin Fry

The Krays were a product of their age, nurtured by a doting mother and created by their community, the East End of London. Their name alone conjures up images of power, violence and greed - and even brother Charlie counldn't steer the twins Ron and Reg clear of murder mayhem as they killed their way to the top of the criminal tree. They lived by their own rules. And died by them. The three brothers will never be forgotten. They are an indelible part of our history, whether we like it or not. From media-manipulation to control-freak paranoia, the Krays were masters of deception. Even at the end Reg Kray was still portraying himself as just an ordinary East Ender - mistreated by the Home Office and the police, misunderstood and mistakenly labelled "Godfather of Crime" by the media. This biography traces their history from childhood and early adolescence to manhood and death. It explores the brothers' fantasy lives, full as they were of mind games and false memories. Only now can the truth be revealed - without fear of intimidation, retribution or revenge. The Krays are dead and buried, but the myth lives on.

The Fight - Norman Mailer

This is the story of the world heavyweight championship fight between George Foreman and Muhammed Ali in 1975. As the weeks to the fight ticked away, Ali's preparation was sluggish and his attitude fatalistic, in contrast to the machine-like and confident Foreman.

Papa Jack - Randy Roberts

This is probably the best book on a heavyweight champion that I have read, alongside Thomas Hauser's "Muhammad Ali:His Life and Times". However, it is more than just an account of a great fighter's incredible life and career; Roberts' book provides a fascinating insight into a less liberal and open-minded age, yet still one that that has parallels with today's society.

Jack Johnson, the first black heavyweight champion, began his career in "battle royals", sickening spectacles that involved a dozen or so blacks in a ring fighting each other until only one was left standing. Overcoming prejudice and discrimination, regulary referred to as "coon" and "nigger" in newspaper reports of his fights, he overcame the so-called "colour bar" to eventually became heavyweight champion of the world.

His victory made him a hero to blacks, and spread horror throughout the white establishment, causing frantic calls for a "great white hope" to "wipe the smile off the uppity nigger's face". Johnson's triumph over one of these hopes, the former champion Jim Jeffries, led to race riots across America.

However, as Roberts argues, Johnson was far from a liberal crusader fighting for the rights of his people. The only person's plight that Johnson cared about was his own. He squandered his ring earnings on prostitution and the high life, mercilesly ridiculed his white opponents, and was brutal to his wives, friends and associates. Ironically , he even drew the colour bar against his own race; Johnson sought relationships only with white women, and also refused to defend against the top black contenders of his era such as Langford, Jeannette and McVey.

All in all, this is a lucid, vivid and captivating account of one of the most fascinating sporting figures of the early 20th Century. Essential reading.

Wiseguy: Life in a Mafia Family  - Nicolas Pileggi

Pileggi materfully interdisperses the quotes from the book's main protagonist, Henry Hill, and his wife, with thoughtful and dispassionate analysis. While this book largely reflects mob life during the 1970s in New York, it's bredth and pragmatism have elevated it to timeless classic. There's little here to fault. The central narrative of Hill's life is expertly interwoven with a variety of scams, gangsters and mafia politics, and the result is a serious, unglamorised portrayal of a life rarely separated from crude stereotypes and generalisations of the popular media. Wiseguy is the best of the genre by a significant distance, and it's only real competition is the book 'Casino' also by Pileggi. If organised crime is something that interests you, this book is a must. If it's not, you should read it anyway for the skilled workmanship of suburb author.

Night Train: A Biography of Sonny Liston  - Nick Tosches

In 1962, Sonny Liston became boxing's world heavyweight champion. He was a poor plantation boy and a bruiser for the mob who had done time for armed robbery, but he had fought his way to the top. Those he met in the ring said he was unstoppable, even dangerous. Sonny, however, knew differently. His mob connections and his violent drunkeness made him an unpopular but feared champion; and when he lost his title to Muhammad Ali with barely a struggle, no one, least of all Liston, seemed to care. He had begun his descent into the depths, which only ended with his mysterious death. In prose as hard-hitting as Liston's left hook, Nick Tosches excavates the life of Sonny Liston from the murky underworld which never let him go.

Dark Destroyer - Nigel Benn

Many books on fighters give a very limited and one-sided view but after reading this you feel that you know more about Nigel Benn than just that he could hit hard.He has been very open about things that he has done in his life and allowed the reader to make there own judgement.Aside from concentrating on his fight career that we all know about he gives a fascinating insight into his private life before, during and after his career, as well as giving the reader a chuckle on more than one occasion when revealing some escapades that he and his friends have encountered.All-in-all a very entertaining and enlightning read.

Fire and the Fury - Anita Mills

In 12th century England, Elizabeth of Rivaux was the beautiful eldest daughter of one of the most powerful families in England. But after her disasterous first marriage, she wants no husband and goes to defend her family's castle which is threatened in the fight between the Empress Matilda and King Stephen. Giles of Moray saves Elizabeth's life when she is attacked on the road. Despite the fact that she thinks he is a lout, Giles decides he wants a woman with her courage and fierceness. But he is only a lowly Scottish lord who had to kill to regain his birthright. His suit would never be accepted by proud Elizabeth or her family, so, Giles kidnaps her.

Elizabeth agrees to marry Giles. Through his passion, Giles slowly helps Elizabeth overcome the hurt done to her by her first husband. But Giles has been supporting King Stephen while Rivaux supports the Empress. Giles must resolve his political loyalties to truly win over his wife and her family.

Amerika - Franz Kafka

This is like a stone wall scrawled with graffiti... a note found screwed up in the bottom of a waste paper basket... an impenetrable pool of murky puddle water and more than that... Kafka’s great-unfinished symphony. Because of this, Amerika took me a good three of four attempts to really relax into what Kafka was trying to achieve... (largely because the narrative and central concept are so alien to what the writer had attempted before, but also because of the strong use of language and descriptive phrasing). Kafka’s literature is one of absolute evocation in which his choice of words build on top of one another to paint us a portrait of a time and place that is totally visible within out mind’s eye.

Here, his concern is in the recreation and depiction of events seen through the eyes of a naive idealist. His construction of America itself is the view of an outsider, by an outsider... Kafka had never set foot in America in the entirety of his life, and therefore creates the burgeoning metropolis from his imagination. Through this, we end up with a work that could almost be described as science fiction, though with a strong underlining sense of social-realism and of course, Hollywood melodrama. The images that were conjured in my mind whilst reading the book were like some bizarre juxtaposition of varying cinematic styles, with elements of Fritz Lang’s masterpiece Metropolis (a film visually inspired by the city-scapes of New York city) by way of John Ford’s The Grapes of Wrath, shot through with the kind of visual pretension seen in Lars von Trier’s underrated Europa.

There was also a touch of Fellini’s surrealist musical ...And the Ship Sails On with the opening chapter set within the small, claustrophobic cabin of an ocean-liner. Here Kafka’s words practically trip over themselves, as he layers various descriptions that each contradict the nature of the story, to instead, create a visual narrative that will run concurrently alongside the plot. Much of this book relies upon the readers to inject their own imagination into the proceedings, or otherwise, Kafka’s writing becomes almost mechanical in its descriptive delivery. Admittedly, the book is somewhat harder than most in terms of grasping that thread that will lead us into the narrative and allow us to develop that all important connection, but if you are a long-time fan of Kafka (who has already experienced the Trial, the Castle and his celebrated short stories) then I’m sure you’ll find this work worth the extra strain.

The continually dark and noirish atmosphere coupled with the recreation of this surreal and mysterious landscape developed deep within my imagination was the principal factor that I held on to when I first attempted to delve into this book. It finally got me through, as I was desperate to find out whether or not Kafka could keep up this hypnotic use of language throughout... he does. However, the ending is an anti ending due to the fact that Kafka never actually finished the book before he died (another factor that marks out Amerika as a problematic document), but if you are committed to this writer then you shouldn’t let this fact put you off. Half the fun of this book is to continually re-read the work and each time create an ending that you find suitable, and creatively valid (I told you imagination played a big part). Amerika will never be as essential as either the Trial or the Castle (both landmarks of literature) though it is certainly worth a look for those who think they may be up to the challenge.

Offline keithcun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #349 on: December 24, 2004, 05:30:21 am »

Michael Watson's Story: The Biggest Fight   - Michael Watson

This is the autobiography of Michael Watson, the former Commonwealth Middleweight champion, whose career was tragically cut short. In 1991 he had a world title fight with Chris Eubank - the people's champion against the guy we love to hate. Eubank retained his belt, but it was one of the most controversial decisions in British boxing history. The Rematch was the biggest super middleweight title fight British boxing had ever seen. Tragically, in the eleventh round, Watson caught his neck on the back of the ropes after taking an uppercut from Eubank. He collapsed and suffered serious brain damage which left him paralysed. After years of intensive therapy, and with the same determination and strength of spirit that he showed in the ring, Michael Watson has made a remarkable recovery and won the biggest fight of all - the fight for his life. Michael Watson was, is, and always will be the People's Champion.

Hallelujah!: The Extraordinary Story of Shaun Ryder and "Happy Mondays"   - John Warburton,Shaun Ryder

First forming as a collaboration between Shaun Ryder and his brother Paul in 1980, (it was, apparently, "something to do, like"), Happy Mondays were to become one of the classic Manchester bands of the late 1980s/early 1990s. With classic albums such as "Bummed" and "Pills'N'Thrills'N'Bellyaches", (including "Kinky Afro" and "Step On"), the band were to become cultural icons, not least for the numerous "rock & roll" stories of drink and drugs that surrounded Shaun Ryder, and his hilarious dancing sidekick Bez.
The group disbanded in 1992, amongst accusations of heroin addiction and numerous "I'll never work with them again" claims. However, against sizeable odds, such statements were to prove misguided, and the group's members were indeed to come together once more in one of rock's more unlikely returns. John Warburton's Hallelujah tells the story of how this comeback came about. Warburton and Ryder had first met when collaborating on the latter's column for the British tabloid "news"paper The Daily Sport, and the style of that publication heavily influences the amusingly illustrated book. With chapter subtitles such as "Shaun bites Gaz's head", "Stoned man sets himself on fire", "Lobster enters Shaun's pants", and "Author slaps out fire in socks", the tone is set for what is one of the more entertaining soap operas in rock's more recent past. The author uses a combination of lengthy quotations from such witnesses as Keith Allen, Chris Moyles, Steve Lamacq and Jo Wiley, and his own excitable, exclamation-mark saturated prose to capture the mood of the Monday's late 1990s reformation. Whether it be in describing staged orgies, (one), near-drownings (two), or the rendering of band-members/journalists as being "off their heads" (countless), Warburton's enthusiasm is both amusing and contagious, as he takes the reader through what emerges as the "return of the ultimate rock and roll lifestyle".

Overall, while readers desiring an analytical analysis of tonal coherence in the Monday's music may be forced to look elsewhere, those seeking an afternoon's top-quality amusement could do a lot worse than take a look at Hallelujah.

The Beatles - Hunter Davies

Hunter Davies is a great writer who has been lucky enough to write about some fascinating subjects. But none better than the Beatles.
His research centres in 1967-8, with the Beatles at work on the White album and it's a sort of glossed picture. For example, he doesn't go into John's infidelities - he is still the family man here - nor does he divulge all he knew about Brian Epstein, though he deals with this in the add ons to a later edition.
Yet even with this, he spent such a long time with them - and they obviously like him - that you get really intimate details. He is best on John and George -I think- and finds Paul the hardest to get to grips with.
This isn't the perfect biography, as he concedes: it's a bit like he never quite got on top of the mountain of material he accumulated, but it's totally readable and rich in detail. If you are interested in the Beatles, this is a gold mine, and it catches something of the Sixties London atmosphere too.
Even more to the point, loads of great books have been written about the Beatles since, "Revolution in the Head", "Shout" etc.etc. but no one except Davies had the opportunity to get this close.
You can read Lennon interviews or the Miles book on McCartney, but they are biassed. Davies captures them as they really were in the latter stages: his portrait is both perceptive and affectionate. A terrific book.

The Men Who Stare at Goats  - Jon Ronson

In 1979 a secret unit was established by the most gifted minds within the US Army. Defying all known accepted military practice - and indeed, the laws of physics - they believed that a soldier could adopt the cloak of invisibility, pass cleanly through walls and, perhaps most chillingly, kill goats just by staring at them. Entrusted with defending America from all known adversaries, they were the First Earth Battalion. And they really weren't joking. What's more, they're back and fighting the War on Terror. Ronson's highly acclaimed bestseller, THEM: ADVENTURES WITH EXTREMISTS, examined the paranoia at the fringes of Bill Clinton's America. THE MEN WHO STARE AT GOATS reveals extraordinary - and very nutty - national secrets at the core of George W Bush's War on Terror. With first-hand access to the leading players in the story, Ronson traces the evolution of these bizarre activities over the past three decades, and sees how it is alive today within US Homeland Security and post-war Iraq. Why are they blasting Iraqi prisoners-of-war with the theme tune to Barney the Purple Dinosaur? Why have 100 de-bleated goats been secretly placed inside the Special Forces command centre at Fort Bragg, North Carolina? How was the US Military associated with the mysterious mass-suicide of a strange cult from San Diego? THE MEN WHO STARE AT GOATS answers these, and many more, questions.

The Donkeys: A History of the British Expeditionary Force in 1915   - Alan Clark

Alan Clark's The Donkeys was the inspiration for Oh! What a Lovely War, the play that captured the antiwar mood of the 1960's and helped turn the First World War in popular mythology into the futile war of 'mud and blood.' Writing in 1961, before the opening of the documentary evidence under the 50 year rule, Clark relied heavily upon the ideas of his patron, Basil Liddell Hart. This is a shame, since Liddell Hart's bias against the quality of the generalship during the War largely stemmed from his own frustration at never having proceeded beyond the rank of Captain. In castigating the failure of British generals to adapt tactically and strategically to a very different set of circumstances, Liddell Hart and his followers failed to explain how the British Expeditionary Force ultimately led the Allies to victory in the Hundred Days in the autumn of 1918.

The availability of the documents in the Public Record Office at Kew Gardens has shown, instead, that the British Army adapted at every level to the new constraints of trench warfare. The disastrous results of the offensives in 1915, which are the subject of this book, stemmed from the virtual destruction of the old professional army and the difficulties of training and assimilating the New Armies. Once, however, that was achieved, tactical innovation proceeded at a fast pace. Enterprising officers within the British Army, led by Arthur Solly Flood, Director of Training, GHQ, adapted (between the summer of 1916 and spring of 1917) the tactical principle of small-unit, fire and movement and all-arms approach combining infantry and artillery in a deep battle that led the BEF to victory in 1918.

It is a shame that this book should feature so prominently among the 'classics' of First World War Historiography, for it paints a very distorted picture of the standard of the British officer class, which hinders the study of the developments in tactics during the War. Far from being 'lions led by donkeys', it would be more true to assert that the average 18 year old conscript, freshly trained in 1918, was 'a donkey led by a lion'

The First Day on the Somme: 1st July, 1916  - Martin Middlebrook

Do not be mistaken by the title of this book: this is not merely an hour-by-hour account of 1 July 1916. No, crucially, in this book Middlebrook gives a comprehensive and most valuable background to Kitchener's Army: the origins of those unfortunate enough to be present, how they were structured, and what was hoped to have been achieved on this the most costly day in British military history. As is usual with Middlebrook, first-hand accounts are in profusion and lend the volume the presence and immediacy that is so characteristic of this author's accounts of armed conflict. Make this the first book you read about the BEF in WWI, particularly if one intends to visit the area. Thoroughly recommended.

Warrior Race A History Of Britain At War - Lawrence James

Modern Britain is a nation shaped by wars. The boundaries of its separate parts are the outcome of conquest and resistance. The essence of its identity are the warrior heroes, both real and imagined, who still capture the national imagination; from Boudicca to King Arthur, William Wallace to Henry V, the Duke of Wellington to Winston Churchill. In WARRIOR RACE, Lawrence James investigates the role played by war in the making of Britain. Drawing on the latest historical and archaeological research, as well as numerous unfamiliar and untapped resources, he charts the full reach of British military history: the physical and psychological impact of Roman military occupation; the monarchy's struggle for mastery of the British Isles; the civil wars of the seventeenth century; the 'total war' experience of twentieth century conflict. WARRIOR RACE is popular history at its very best: immaculately researched and hugely readable. Balancing the broad sweep of history with an acute attention to detail, Lawrence James never loses sight of this most fascinating and enduring of subjects: the question of British national identity and character.

Therapy - Jonathan Kellerman

I had read so many good reviews about the books by this author that I just felt I had to give one of his books a go. Hence the reason for buying Therapy..I have to say I did think the book was well written but........my mind kept wondering away from the story which rarely happens whilst reading a good book.The plot I found was good to begin with but as the pages went on my concentration lapsed, I finally gave up after 250 pages.I never did find out what the link was from the murdered youngsters to their Thearapist,and can't say I have the yearning to find out.I kept going up until the 250th page because I felt I would fail if I didn't,but in the end I am more concerned about reading a gripping tale then failing to finnish a book trying to find it. I will give one more of his books a go, I have got Conspiracy to read, lets hope that I enjoy that one more than I did this.

Odd Thomas - Dean Koontz

The new paperback of the bestselling thriller from Dean Koontz, one of the most acclaimed and popular authors of modern times. In Odd Thomas he has created a character whose unique voice will live for generations to come. Odd Thomas takes pride in his work as a fry cook. His fame has spread, bringing strangers to the restaurant in Pico Mundo. Odd cannot say what it is that disturbs him about this particular stranger, but his sixth sense is alert ...This is a man with an appetite for operatic terror. The violence he craves is of the most extreme variety: multiple untimely deaths spiced with protracted horror. Tomorrow. Odd's fears are first for Stormy Llewellyn, his one true love. Stormy believes that our passage through this world is intended to toughen us for the next life -- that the many terrors we know here are an inoculation against worse in the world to come. But Odd Thomas knows more than Stormy about this world. Many people in Pico Mundo think he is some sort of psychic, perhaps a clairvoyant, a seer, something. None but a handful know that he sees the restless dead, those with unfinished business and, sometimes, plenty of postmortem rage. Tomorrow. The day begins as uncannily still as dawn on Judgment Day one breath before the sky cracks open. At once chilling and deeply moving, Odd Thomas is a brilliantly observed chronicle of good and evil in our time, of illusion and everlasting truth.

Resurrection Men - Ian Rankin

Rebus is back. Resurrection Men, the 13th DI Rebus novel, finds Ian Rankin’s doughty detective off the case. He explodes at his superior DCS Gill Templar over the increasingly frustrating murder inquiry into the savage killing of an Edinburgh art dealer and his punishment is a spell cooling his heels at the Scottish Police College in central Scotland. Rebus balks at his "retraining" but he’s not alone: he’s part of an ill-assorted group of similar officers--all with an attitude problem and a dislike of the institution they find themselves in. Given an old unsolved case to work on the group is obliged to polish up their teamwork while supervisors assess the reprobates. But some of the team have secrets not unconnected to the case they’ve been handed and Rebus finds that anything goes when it comes to keeping the past obscured.
This is Rankin in top form with Rebus rejuvenated by the edgy new milieu he’s dropped into. Complicating things, the Scottish Crime Squad asks Rebus to act as a link to someone who can deliver the inside dirt on an old nemesis, gangster "Big Ger" Cafferty. In Edinburgh, Detective Sergeant Siobhan Clarke has to take over the case of the murdered art dealer and, like Rebus, finds herself getting closer to the unpleasant Mr Cafferty. Forget the miscast John Hannah in the TV movies, this is the real Rebus: gritty, idiomatic and etched in prose that wastes nae a word in its redefining of the crime novel.

Fatherland - Robert Harris

Fatherland is like a blueprint on how to write the perfect novel - it's well-written, commercial, thought-provoking and resonated in my mind long after I'd finished it, and the fact that so much of the documentation is real is frightening. I've had three novels published and recently I've found it incredibly difficult to find books that I can't criticise - Fatherland is one of them. I couldn't put it down. The hero, March, is such a well-rounded character that he just won't leave my mind, I keep thinking about him and wanting to go back to the book and re-read parts. Harris's skill as a writer is masterly, the book is fabulously crafted and yet seems effortless: taut prose with not a word wasted, descriptions of Berlin woven into the (realistic) dialogue, suspense, conflict, believable characters with interesting human flaws, and a finale that leaves you kicking yourself that you didn't spot certain things along the way. The reviewers who have been critical of the ending must have no imagination - a novelist who has the guts to leave a little to the reader is paying them the greatest compliment - if Robert Harris had spelled it all out in words of one syllable as some people seem to have wanted him to, it would have cheapened the experience. This book is thrilling - READ IT! I'm off to hunt for Archangel and Enigma now, hope they're as good as this one.

Lucky - Alice Selbold

Like her wonderful novel The Lovely Bones - which I've also reviewed and which you must read - Lucky is a harrowing, heart-wrenching book about the worst possible thing that can happen to a woman. Alice Sebold tells the raw story of her rape ordeal and her subsequent struggle for recovery with an honesty and warmth which is compelling. Lucky reads almost like a novel itself at times, with gripping moments of suspense, particularly during the court trial scenes.
Alice Sebold was the innocent victim of an unforgivable crime - but she doesn't ask for our sympathy or pity in these beautifully written pages. She earns our respect and admiration for the courageous way she tells how the traumatic events changed and shaped her life; how the naive college student would eventually become a hardened, determined aggressor herself in her brave fight for justice against her attacker. The past can never be forgotten, but Alice Sebold has managed to crawl from the wreckage and move on with her life to a happier future that has brought her international fame and acclaim. That says something about the human spirit - and everything about this remarkable woman.

Lovely Bones -  Alice Selbold

Having read Lucky, I approached this novel with some caution as Sebold's choice of subject is not light-hearted. However the age of the main character, Susie, and her sometimes flippant personality help to make this more 'entertaining'. I do not believe in heaven and life after death which meant that the parts of the novel set in Susie's heaven began to irritate me as they seemed ridiculous in comparison to the very real characters Sebold created back on earth. I also thought the section of the book where the 'body swap' occurred was nonsensical fantasy and almost ruined the entire thing for me. On the other hand, I found it remarkably easy to empathise with Susie (especially considering she is dead!) and I was shocked by how much her story, and her relationship with her sister Lindsey, affected me. It made me stop and think about my own family and how I should appreciate them more. I think Sebold has a real talent for creating characters; I had to stop reading at some points as I was crying so hard. I do think this is a wonderful book, even though it had some rather silly bits in it.

The Five People You Meet in Heaven - Mitch Albom

In many ways, The Five People You Meet in Heaven is a simple little book; as is so often the case, the most profound of answers are revealed most clearly in the simplest of explanations. This is not a book about heaven in a religious sense; the truths it establishes are to be found right here in our own lives: every life has a purpose, every person and every action is related, and while you may not be able to discern it now, it all makes sense in the end.

Eddie represents all of us to some degree. Looking back on his life with regret over all the things he should have done or not done, he is almost a ghost of himself. Since the death of his wife, he has basically gone through the motions, working at the same job his father worked before him, dealing with the bad dreams brought on by his wartime experience, watching his body deteriorate to the point that he can barely get around, waiting for nothing, feeling nothing but regret. He always wanted to get away from his father and live an entirely different sort of life, yet he wound up taking over his father's job, living in the same building, failing to achieve any of the hopes and dreams he embraced so tightly as a young man. His wife was his only anchor, and she has been dead a long time now.

When we first meet Eddie, he is about to die. The end is just another beginning, however, and we learn the story of Eddie's life as the novel progresses. Heaven is not what he expected; he finds no peace here at all. Happiness cannot come without understanding, however, and five people are waiting to explain Eddie's life to him. They include people he barely knew or did not know at all, yet he soon learns what a huge influence he had in their earthly lives. Each one imparts to Eddie a lesson he must learn in order to find peace. I won't describe who the five people are or what they tell him; but I will say that the overall message is a really touching and significant one. Understanding is not a pain-free process, but it leads to the complete unburdening of Eddie's soul. The ending was nothing short of beautiful. It would have been easy to sit back and let an overly sappy conclusion ruin the whole story, but Albom does not let that happen.

While this is a great and rewarding read, some readers will never give themselves fully to the story and will thus wonder what the big deal about this book is. For many, though, The Five People You Meet in Heaven will provide an important level of comfort and inspiration for those who see only a past of regrets and no future. We all sometimes wonder why we are here and whether it's even worth going on day after meaningless, monotonous day. This book does not provide the definitive answer to such profound questions, but it does provide an answer - and it is a comforting one.

Garden Of Beast's  -  Jeffery Deaver.

Jeffrey Deaver's thrillers are united by his fascination with people doing what they are good at. Garden of Beasts is separated in time and place from his modern thrillers, but both of its heroes are supremely competent men. The shame is that they are working against each other. Gun for hire Paul Schumann is offered a chance to avoid the electric chair. All he has to do is go to Berlin for the Olympics and take out Ernst, chief of the bureaucrats who is building German's military might for Hitler. And in Berlin, honest apolitical cop Kohl finds himself on Schumann's trail without any idea of what he is up to. Deaver is as good here at what an intelligent policeman could do with limited forensic resources as he is in his series about contemporary high-tech criminalist Lincoln Rhyme.
Ernst, meanwhile, is caught up in the Third Reich's vicious infighting and hard at work at a particularly nasty and inventive scheme. This is a splendidly atmospheric historical thriller that wears its research lightly--it is also endlessly inventive in the twists and turns of its characters' movements through a society built on betrayal and sudden death

Barca: A People's Passion   - Jimmy Burns

From the English businessmen who founded the club, through Cruyff, Maradona, Lineker, Venables, Robson and Ronaldo, FC Barcelona, European football giant and quintessential embodiment of Catalonian pride, has been built on the efforts of foreign mercenaries.
In interview and analysis, Jimmy Burns uses the experiences of these outsiders as his own passport to the heart of the Camp Nou, returning with a hugely enjoyable history of the team and it's fanatically nationalistic support.

Unique among the world's biggest clubs, Barcelona has stayed true to its origins as a quasi-democratic institution. It is effectively a private members club, made up of the 120,000 supporters whose subscriptions bankroll the team, but a sense of ownership extends across Catalonia itself.

At the heart of the book is the struggle for this unique identity to survive the commercial colonisation of the sport.

Burns is a sensitive and intelligent interpreter of what is becoming, for better and worse, a forgotten language of regional tribalism in football. It may not be many years before his study of this enigmatic club is regarded as a definitive memorial to the last great love affair of what was once a people's passion.

The Earthsea Quartet  - Ursula Le Guin

Long before JK Rowling stormed the best-seller lists with Harry Potter, Ursula le Guin wrote the tale of a wizard born to greatness, who leaves home and goes to study magic, with terrible consequences. A duel with Jasper, a fellow student (rich, arrogant, envious)leads to Ged's unleashing a monster upon the world which hunts him until he learns that the onyl way to defeat it is to learn its true name. (In the world of Archipelago, names give power over the named.) This is a masterpiece of fantasy fiction. Its exquisite prose is a revelation each time you read it, and all the characters though especially that of Ged, are fully rounded and realised. The world in which they live is so vivid you can taste the sea-spray and feel the fear. The moral messages are complex, concerning humility and compassion. The quartet was orginially a trilogy, and better for being so, in that Tehanu adds little. I first read this at 8, and now read it to my own 8 year old. Le Guin has influenced hundreds of other writers, but none are as good as she is.

His Dark Materials - Philip Pulman

Dramatized in two parts from the best-selling trilogy by Philip Pullman, this cunning blend of science fiction and fantasy is the National Theatre's Christmas Show 2003. It tells of the escapes of Lyra and Will in their parallel worlds.

PS, I Love You    - Cecilia Ahern

Cecelia Ahern's debut novel, PS, I Love You, follows the engaging, witty and occasionally sappy reawakening of Holly, a young Irish widow who must put her life back together after she loses her husband Gerry to a brain tumour. Ahern, the twentysomething daughter of Ireland's Prime Minister, has discovered a clever and original twist to the Moving On After Death concept made famous by novelists and screenwriters alike--Gerry has left Holly a series of letters designed to help her face the year ahead and carry on with her life. As the novel takes readers through the seasons (and through Gerry's monthly directives), we watch as Holly finds a new job, takes a holiday to Spain with her girlfriends, and sorts through her beloved husband's belongings. Accompanying Holly throughout the healing process is a cast of friends and family members who add as much to the novel's success as Holly's own tale of survival. In fact, it is these supporting characters' mini-dramas that make PS, I Love You more than just another superficial tearjerker with the obligatory episode at a karaoke bar. Ahern shows real talent for capturing the essence of an interaction between friends and foes alike; even if Holly's circle of friends does resemble the gang from Bridget Jones a bit too neatly to ignore (her best friend is even called Sharon).
While her style can be at times repetitive and her delivery is occasionally amateurish, Ahern deserves credit for a spirited first effort. If PS, I Love You is any indication of this author's talent, readers have much to look forward to as Ahern matures as a novelist and a storyteller.

Catcher in The Rye - J D Salinger

Since his debut in 1951 as The Catcher in the Rye, Holden Caulfield has been synonymous with "cynical adolescent". Holden narrates the story of a couple of days in his 16-year-old life, just after he's been expelled from prep school, in a slang that sounds edgy even today and keeps this novel on banned book lists. It begins:
If you really want to hear about it, the first thing you'll probably want to know is where I was born and what my lousy childhood was like, and how my parents were occupied and all before they had me, and all that David Copperfield kind of crap, but I don't feel like going into it, if you want to know the truth. In the first place, that stuff bores me, and in the second place, my parents would have about two haemorrhages apiece if I told anything pretty personal about them.
His constant wry observations about what he encounters, from teachers to phonies (the two of course are not mutually exclusive), capture the essence of the eternal teenage experience of alienation.

The Hobbit - J.R.R. Tolkein

Poor Bilbo Baggins! An unassuming and rather plump hobbit (as most of these small, furry-footed people tend to be ), Baggins finds himself unwittingly drawn into adventure by a wizard named Gandalf and 13 dwarves bound for the Lonely Mountain, where a dragon named Smaug hordes a stolen treasure. Before he knows what is happening, Baggins finds himself on the road to danger. Wizards, dwarves and dragons may seem the stuff of children's fairy tales, but The Hobbit is in a class of its own--light-hearted enough for younger readers, yet with a dark edge guaranteed to intrigue an older audience. In the best tradition of the archetypal hero's quest, Bilbo Baggins sets out on his fateful journey a callow, untested soul and returns--tempered by hardship, danger and loss--a better man--er, hobbit.
This book is the predecessor to Tolkien's masterpiece, The Lord of the Rings, and though that trilogy can be thoroughly enjoyed without first reading The Hobbit, much that happens in the later novels is foreshadowed here. A word of caution, however: as Bilbo discovers early on, travel and adventure are addictive things; embark on this journey to the Lonely Mountain with Tolkien's reluctant hero, and you might not be able to stop there. And the road taken to the distant mountains of Mordor in the ensuing trilogy is an even more perilous one.

The Magician - Raymond E Feist

Like a venerable patriarch, Magician stands at the head of a great tribe of fantasy writing. When Raymond Feist's enormous novel was published, critics called it "the best new fantasy concept in years", and Feist has refined and explored that concept over a dozen novels. His "concept" was to bring together two (and later, more) whole, intricately realised fantasy worlds. Midkemia is a Tolkienian realm, a European- Medieval series of kingdoms in which magic is prominent, and where men share the earth with dwarves and elves. Feist's genius was inventing another sword and sorcercy realm based more closely on eastern models, the Empire of Tsuranuanni, as vast as Ancient China, as formalised and devoted to the arts of war as a samurai Japan. A magical rift in time-space brings these two worlds clashing together, and the young boy Pug and his soldier friend Tomas are thrown into the ensuing maelstrom of invasion and epic battle, before embarking on a more fundamental magical journey towards the very roots of evil itself. Feist's two sequels to Magician, Silverthorn and A Darkness at Sethanon complete the richly conceived Riftwar Saga, and Feist has gone on to chronicle other aspects of his invented worlds. With Janny Wurts he wrote the Empire trilogy, which charts the rise, through the rigid patriarchy of the Empire of Tsuranuanni, of a remarkable female heroine, a woman who eventually reaches the heights of the imperial throne itself Daughter of the Empire, Servant of the Empire and Mistress of Empire. More recently he has returned to the world of Medkemia, and to his hero Pug, with the Serpentwar saga, beginning with Shadow of a Dark Queen and continuing with Rise of a Merchant Prince, Rage of a Demon King and Shards of a Broken Crown. Heroic Fantasy is a crowded-enough field, but Feist stands out in it for his sheer inventive power, the scope and range of his narratives, the diversity of his characters and his thundering battle sequences. Start reading here, and you may find yourself unable to stop until you have followed the saga right up to date.

The Handmaid's Tale - Margaret Atwood

The handmaids tale is an interesting story of a repressive state. The novel can be interpreted on many levels. Offreds main function is to breed. The novel is based around contrasts of her life, with a name, before the regime, and the life she is living now the regime is in play. Gilead is a very repressive state focused on aspects of religion and child- bearing. Offred talks of her life and her natural desires that she is not allowed to conduct. Offred accepts that there is a regime in place but does her best to isolate herself from the situation by being very passive- this passiveness evokes emotion from the reader.
The novel is on the whole a good read with a lot of important messages- however, there are a lot of references throughout.
The novel is supposedly based on real events and for those interested in history, although not entirely related, it is a good read. Even if you are not studing, or are not interested, in history the novel is still an interesting read and also links to religious messages.
I would recommend this book to read, once you get past the referneces, the messages evoke emotion from the reader and make them question what it is they really value in life and what they would do if they were faced with that kind of situation

Eye of the Storm: 25 Years in Action with the SAS  - Peter Radcliffe

I have read allot of 'SAS' author books, especially about the gulf, and i think this one is about the best. The most important thing that comes accross from the authour is that he is honest, something you have to think about when you read any SAS book now, i'm fairly sure that Mr Ratcliffes motivation to write the book wasn't to forge a new career as a writer, as so many of the other ex-soilders seem to want to do.
I like this book especially because it breaks down this myth that seems to have surrounded the SAS as if they are somehow superhuman, running into battle situations tearing their shirts open and donning capes, boots, and outside underpants, which of course they dont, which is good otherwise they could find themselves being called out to save burning buildings, deflect falling meteors and hold back tidal waves, if some of the modern day warfare books are to be beleived. This book shows them much more as human, which of course they are and in this light i find them more courageous and admirable than when their heroic stories are being spun into ripping yarns to sell more books to wider auidiences. I think the writer gives a good honest portrayl of the SAS and his book makes for a very entertaining and interesting read, he comes accross as a practical man who keeps going and doesn't give up. It's also a well written book, i dont know wether he did it himself, but it's well put together all the same. I admire him.

The Taking  - Dean Koontz

The new thriller from Dean Koontz is a novel of surpassing suspense and visceral terror as doomsday dawns. On the morning that will mark the end of the world they have known, Molly and Niel Sloan awaken to the drumbeat of rain. It has haunted their dreams through the night, and now they find an eerily luminous and golden downpour that drenches their small Californian mountain town. As hours pass they hear news of extreme weather phenomena across the globe. An obscuring fog turns once familiar streets into a ghostly labyrinth. By evening, the town has lost all communication with the outside world. First TV and radio go dead, then the Internet and phone lines. The young couple gathers together with some neighbours, sensing a threat they cannot identify or even imagine. The night brings strange noises, and mysterious lights drift among the trees. The rain diminishes with the dawn but a moody grey-purple twilight prevails. Within the misty gloom the small band will encounter something that reveals in a terrifying instant what is happening to the world -- something that is hunting them with ruthless efficiency.

A History of the Arab Peoples   - Albert Hourani

Without doubt this is the best introductory book I have read on the subject of Arab history. Hourani's book is highly informative yet also very readable. The book covers Arab history over a timeline starting from pre-Islamic times right up to recent events in the 1980's and serves as a superb introduction for anyone with an interest in this area of the world. The book studies many aspects of life in detail. For those who are using this study as starting point, will find that Hourani gives them much to think about and provides many refernces for further research. The book also contains useful maps, timelines and family trees. The topic area is vast but Hourani has made skilful inrodes into it leaving the reader feeling informed about the Arab people both past and present.

The Norwegian Wood - Haruki Murakami

"I once had a girl, or should I say, she once had me" "Norwegian Wood" (Lennon/McCartney).
With Norwegian Wood Murakami, best known as the author of off-kilter classics such as the Wind Up Bird Chronicle, A Wild Sheep Chase and Hard Boiled Wonderland, finally achieved widespread acclaim in his native Japan. The novel sold upwards of 4 million copies and forced the author to retreat to Europe, fearful of the expectations accompanying his new-found cult status.

The novel is atypical for Murakami: seemingly autobiographical, in the tradition of many Japanese "I" novels, Norwegian Wood is a simple coming of age tale set, primarily, in 1969/70, the time of Murakami's own university years. The political upheavals and student strikes of the period form the backdrop of the novel but the focus here is the young Watanabe's love affairs and the pain (and pleasure) of growing up with all its attendant losses, (self-)obsessions and crises.

The novel is split into two volumes and beautifully presented here in a "gold" box containing both the green book and the red book. Young Japanese fans became so obsessed with the work that they would dress entirely in one or other colour denoting which volume they most identified with. And the novel is hugely affecting, reading like a cross between Plath's Bell Jar and Vizinczey's In Praise of Older Women, if less complex and ultimately less satisfying than Murakami's other, more allegorical, work. He captures the huge expectation of youth, and of this particular time in history, for the future and for the place of love in it. He also saturates the work with sadness, an emotion that can cripple a novel but which here underscores the poignancy of the work's rather thin subject matter.

Supreme Courage: Heroic Stories from 150 Years of the VC   - General Sir Peter de la Billiere

Since 1854 the Victoria Cross has been the highest award for gallantry in the British Armed Forces. It bears the simple legend 'For Valour', but behind it are thrilling and ultimately humbling tales of unimaginable bravery. SUPREME COURAGE tells the tales of some of those who have won the medal, bringing this badge of honour alive with breath-taking accounts of courage in action. Visiting battle-scenes across the globe, peppering his accounts with letters and first-hand accounts, Sir Peter de la Billiere uncovers not just heroism but the hearts and minds of men. With his accounts of Australians, Canadians, New Zealanders, Indians and the Gurkhas, Sir Peter de la Billiere does more than accompany the man into battle. He reveals their backgrounds, the climate of their times, what it was that drove them on, and the price of fame - the burden of expectation in civilian life that accompanied more than one recipient to a pauper's grave. Extraordinary, thrilling and intensely moving, SUPREME COURAGE is a significant addition to the literature of war, and a unique and magnificent monument to heroism.

Free the Manchester United One: The Inside Story of Football's Greatest Scam   - Graham Sharpe

In 1915 one of the most shameful occasions in sporting history took place. The players of Manchester United and Liverpool conspired to arrange that United would win their game with Liverpool by 2-0, thus permitting the conspirators to cash in on bets placed on that pre-arranged score-line of odds of 7/1. As a result, United did stay up but eight players were banned for life, one lost his life, the reputations of the two clubs were permanently tainted and football's image severely impaired. This is the amazing tale of that fateful Good Friday.

In the world of page-turning thrillers, Dan Brown holds a special place in the hearts of many of us. After his first book, Digital Fortress, almost passed me by, he wrote Angels and Demons, which was probably one of the half-dozen most exciting thrillers of last year. It is a pleasure to report that his new book lives up to his reputation as a writer whose research and talent make his stories exciting, believable, and just plain unputdownable.
The time is now and President Zachary Herney is facing a very tough re-election. His opponent, Senator Sedgwick Sexton, is a powerful man with powerful friends and a mission: to reduce NASA's spending and move space exploration into the private sector. He has numerous supporters, including many beyond the businesses who will profit from this because of the embarrassment of 1996, when the Clinton administration was informed by NASA that proof existed of life on other planets. That information turned out to be premature, if not incorrect. The embattled president is assured that a rare object buried deep in the Arctic ice will prove to have far-reaching implications on America's space program. The find, however, needs to be verified.

Enter Rachel Sexton, a gister for the National Reconnaissance Office. Gisters reduce complex reports into single-page briefs, and in this case the president needs that confirmation before he broadcasts to the nation, probably ensuring his re-election. It's tricky because Rachel is the daughter of his opponent. Rachel is thrilled to be on the team travelling to the Arctic Circle. She is a realist about her father's politics and has little respect for his stand on NASA, but Senator Sexton cannot help but have a problem with her involvement.

Adventure, romance, murder, skulduggery, and nail-biting tension ensue. By the end of Deception Point, the reader will be much better informed about how the space program works and how politicians react to new information. Bring on the next Dan Brown thriller!

Offline J££RARD

• Thai me up, Thai me down.
  • Legacy Fan
  • be nice or F.O.
« Reply #350 on: December 24, 2004, 10:10:23 am »
oh my goodnessss :o :o :o
my twitter rant: @jeerard

Offline Maggie May

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #351 on: December 24, 2004, 11:54:26 am »
Keith.  My sincere and most profound admiration.  May I please, yet again, thank you for everything you do and for every care you take  to make the RAWK Book Club such an enjoyable and informative thread.  With kindest regards for a very Merry Christmas and a happy and prosperous New Year.   :-* :-* :wave 

Offline keithcun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #352 on: December 24, 2004, 12:54:48 pm »
No probs Maggie.

Merry Xmas and New Year to yourself and family. :wave :wave

Offline hooded claw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #353 on: December 24, 2004, 01:35:19 pm »
Keith.  My sincere and most profound admiration.  May I please, yet again, thank you for everything you do and for every care you take  to make the RAWK Book Club such an enjoyable and informative thread.  With kindest regards for a very Merry Christmas and a happy and prosperous New Year.   :-* :-* :wave 

Ditto- am well impressed you read them so quickly, and then gather your thoughts so speedily to write such handy, informative reviews.  ;)
Seriously- good work pal  :wave

Offline keithcun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #354 on: December 24, 2004, 03:01:46 pm »
Cheers Claw.  :wave

Offline saph

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #355 on: December 27, 2004, 10:10:25 pm »
finished da vinci code a few days ago - superb, though some glaring inaccuracies about the dead sea scrolls. started huntign unicorns by bella pollen about an aristocratic alcoholic family and american journalist. very funny.

Offline saph

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #356 on: December 27, 2004, 10:14:37 pm »
get on msn and i'll let ya know!  :D

Offline jean paul

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #357 on: December 28, 2004, 12:04:32 am »
Finished 'High Society' by Ben Elton.

After reading 'Popcorn' by the same author I was expecting a very good read.  I was not disappointed.  It's fiction but I think it's probably truer than reality.  Elton's very sharp, can be funny and most of all truly ironic.  The characters are great but probably the situations and his digs at society are even better.

Would defenitely recommend it to anyone.

At the moment I am reading Kafka's 'The Trial'.

Offline Rushian

• Blanco y en botella
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ¡No Pasarán!
    • Red and White Kop
« Reply #358 on: December 28, 2004, 12:08:07 am »
"Ghost On The Wall: The Authorised Biography of Roy Evans" by Derek Dohren.

Enjoyed it - will do a full review for front page in a couple of days.
If you're going to sign up on Betfair and fancy getting a free £25 on sign-up then use my refer code 749DCNQGK and I'll also get a £25 bonus ;)

Offline Rushian

• Blanco y en botella
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ¡No Pasarán!
    • Red and White Kop
« Reply #359 on: December 28, 2004, 12:15:14 am »
btw Nicci French is a husband and wife writing team - the Nicci part is Nicci Gerrard who used to be (and may still be) an excellent journalist on the Observer.
If you're going to sign up on Betfair and fancy getting a free £25 on sign-up then use my refer code 749DCNQGK and I'll also get a £25 bonus ;)