Author Topic: Team news, pre-, in- and post-match comments and analysis v Man City  (Read 4605 times)

Offline Hugh

• Zit, just to the right of his nose, below the lip.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Man of the People
    • Hugh O'Connell
Re: Team news, pre-, in- and post-match comments and analysis v Man City
« Reply #120 on: August 22, 2004, 12:43:14 am »

Depends. How fit is Josemi gonna be? I don't think he should be played on tuesdee, whats the point? Stick Finnan at right back, with probably Kewell on the right and Warnock deffo on the left. Stick Igor in the middle for Didi. And maybe give Flo a start up front, dunno who with. Depends who looks the least tired.

Depends also on how Rafa views the game, I mean 2-0 is good but if they score the nerves will get jangling. I hope Warnock and the like get a chance but I wouldn't be surprised if we stuck with a full strength team.

Offline Ian-TN

• The slightly shop spoiled Jon Hall
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #121 on: August 22, 2004, 12:44:46 am »
Aye. But can't see them coming here with any other attitude than "damage limitation" to be honest.
To an interpreter, regarding excited Italian journalists:
'Just tell them I completely disagree with everything they say.'

Offline Hugh

• Legacy Fan
  • Man of the People
    • Hugh O'Connell
« Reply #122 on: August 22, 2004, 12:54:45 am »
Aye. But can't see them coming here with any other attitude than "damage limitation" to be honest.

Don't be so certain, this side ran Ajax all the way last season and as I siad, if they nick one goal, it's very open all over again.

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #123 on: August 22, 2004, 12:55:39 am »

Depends also on how Rafa views the game, I mean 2-0 is good but if they score the nerves will get jangling. I hope Warnock and the like get a chance but I wouldn't be surprised if we stuck with a full strength team.

I think we'll see about 4 of the starters today rested, perhaps 2 of them on the bench.
This is a long, hard season with many changes.
I'd expect Warnock, Diao and Biscan to start. Potter too perhaps.

Offline timiano

• Flatlander
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #124 on: August 22, 2004, 12:57:12 am »
Ratings:

Dudek - Solid but for the error but Carra was at fault to, just a bad defensive mix up. 6

Josemi - Solid throughout, he really does look like the Spanish Carra, pity about the injury, hope it's not too serious. 7

Hyypia and Carra - Overall solid but Carra was at fault for the goal and the idea of pushing the defence further forward may not work with Hyypia. 7

Riise - No better than some of last seasons performances. 6.5

Finnan - Gives nothing on the right wing being honest. No dribbling, poor crossing. 6

Hamann - Usual solid Didi. 7.5

Gerrard - Quiet first half, came to life in the second. 8

Kewell - Here how it goes: Kewell gets ball on the left, crowd get excited, he runs at the defender, few skills, beats one maybe two, than gets stopped by a third or else hit a cross straight at their defence, just not happening for the lad and hasn't been for sometime. 6

Cisse - A quiet game but he came to life late on and started taking the piss out of their defence, improving by every game. 7.

Baros - Anonymous first half, Euro 2004 form in the second. 8

Subs:

Diao - Rafa looks like he'll learn the hard way that Diao isn't a defender, no accidents in this game but he is one waiting to happen. 6

Warnock - Should start against GAK to see how he does, impresses me every time he comes on - 7

Biscan - Not much time but could have done better with that chance at the end. Again he should start against GAK. 6

Spot on, apart from...

Dudek made a mistake by fumbling the ball...however, it wasn't his fault that Anelka stamped on him 3 times running over him, before he put it in the net.  Dudek at fault, not so much as the Ref for givining it!

Offline Ian-TN

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #125 on: August 22, 2004, 01:07:12 am »
Don't be so certain, this side ran Ajax all the way last season and as I siad, if they nick one goal, it's very open all over again.

That was last year. This year we have proved that we can easily out class them. Expect a few to be rested.

Offline Hugh

• Legacy Fan
  • Man of the People
    • Hugh O'Connell
« Reply #126 on: August 22, 2004, 01:12:45 am »

That was last year. This year we have proved that we can easily out class them. Expect a few to be rested.

Oh I do but I'm just saying that it wouldn't be a massive shock should we keep faith with more or less the full strength side.

And I'm absolutely certain, having being in a communication with a GAK fan since the draw was made that this team won't approach this game with 'damage limitation' on their minds but lets hope it ends up like that.  ;)

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #127 on: August 22, 2004, 01:16:08 am »
I think we'll only make a few changes to start the game such as warnock and biscan for hamman and either josemi or finnan and we will then use our subs to rest another 3 of our starters

Offline Ian-TN

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #128 on: August 22, 2004, 01:18:44 am »
And I'm absolutely certain, having being in a communication with a GAK fan since the draw was made that this team won't approach this game with 'damage limitation' on their minds but lets hope it ends up like that.  ;)

They will when were 3 up inside 10minutes  ;)

Offline sirjames

• The Manly Eunuch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #129 on: August 22, 2004, 11:37:36 am »
some people say JC put more pressure on the goal keeper with the header, My opinion is jerzy should talk more with his defenders to let them know waht he wasns then this mistake would not happen, he is not verbal enough.
If we win, its normal because were Liverpool Football Club
Rafa  25/1/05

Offline grimble

• Main Stander
Liverpool v Man city
« Reply #130 on: August 22, 2004, 09:49:00 pm »
Well done to Liverpool.

We all know we are far from perfect but it was a crucial win sat, at this stage of the season, its vital to just get points in the bag as opposed to getting points and looking good.
Steven Gerrard was superb.. again.
Dudek's mistakes are now on parity with Biscan's  ;D
Cisse should be working the line alot harder, he seems to be conserving energy for that break but he'll never tire a defender being static.
Thrilled about Riise having SWP's in his pocket.
All round, i thought pre-match we were a goal better than city and was delighted to see a comeback from 0-1 down.
If the new players fit in right away we could be quite a force if free from injury.
The future looks a lot rosier now.
grimble.