Author Topic: Spurs v Liverpool, teams, and the rest...  (Read 3620 times)

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
Re: Spurs v Liverpool, teams, and the rest...
« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2004, 02:40:42 pm »
Cissé's 1st prem goal

:D

Offline Tim

• Make that an umbrella in my Breezer. Jimmy Anderson's stunt double.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Welcome to Heaven
« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2004, 02:40:50 pm »
To be honest, first half was good , second half not so good. Have to disagree about Harry though, thought he played well today, worked hard going forward and tracking back too.
If you're going to sign up on Betfair please use my code N4TFVF4PK

We'll both get £20

:wave

Offline daddymac

• THE IGOR BISCAN FANCLUB
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2004, 02:41:20 pm »
Doubt Finnan will see many games this sseason now - that was woeful. Djib looked full of pace, power and made intelligent runs. Why take him off?
Babel's clincher was the absolute jizz on the tits.

Offline Gus 1855

• GusMcLean is a direct descendent of wee Jimmy the Jock McSporran, son of Ally McLeod, voted best Flower of Scotland performer 2003. Changed name in hope of attracting Bridesmaid but he's still Scottish as a Glaswegian deep fried Haggis
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: August 14, 2004, 02:41:31 pm »
Will do, nothing more nothing less.

Rafa needs some time, he can not be expected to work miracles straight away.

It looks to me as if we have signed another 'average' player. I'll hold back my complete opinion until I see the lad play

Offline Liverpoolian

• Kopite
  • There is only one team
« Reply #44 on: August 14, 2004, 02:41:38 pm »
not a good start neither bad

Offline adamski

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: August 14, 2004, 02:43:41 pm »
Not too bad.  We were better in the first half.  Still seriously lacking a creative spark in midfield although Harry actually had a great game.  Hamann did nothing of note and Finnan looks weak.  Gerrard had an average game by his standards.  We need this Alonso character quick. 

Baros didn't seem to settle.

Offline Hugh

• Zit, just to the right of his nose, below the lip.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Man of the People
    • Hugh O'Connell
« Reply #46 on: August 14, 2004, 02:44:38 pm »
Decent start.

Offline Rashid

• 99% of posts are bullshit, the other 1% get deleted. Unloved, unwashed, and untidy.
  • Main Stander
  • Resident Dog
« Reply #47 on: August 14, 2004, 02:45:47 pm »
I thought we lacked ideas from the very first kick off, Kewell did OK, all the strikers were pretty poor and Finnan is just not good enough in any position for us.

Rafa has only made one signing - JOsemi - and he has looked a class act - so lets wait and see what happens in the next 2 weeks and hopefully Rafa will address our glaringly obvious lack of spark in midfield

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #48 on: August 14, 2004, 02:46:16 pm »
Want to see either Alonso or Igor in the middle for Manchester City. Igor looked good in pre-season, please rafa give him a chance. Want to see someone new on the right. It is such a fuck up that we dont have a right sided player, the 2 people you would play have left.

We need to get this Nunez in and he has to deliver, it seems we dont have time for him to settle we are that short on players. Lets just hope that if Finnan has to play there next week, he has a blinder.

Was a little dissapointed with Didi and Gerrard, seemed same old same old from last season, Alonso will add a spark, so will Igor who is playing for his career basically.

Roll on 21/08

Offline Disintegration

• Legacy Fan
  • Kicking Against The Pricks
    • Attempted blog, didn't last long. As always.
« Reply #49 on: August 14, 2004, 02:47:20 pm »
Hamann was the biggest disappointment for me. I've long thought him not the ideal foil for Gerrard in a side that aspires to me more attacking, and he only reinforced that view today.

Just a shame that the Madrid scum will almost certainly sign Alonso now.

Offline Tim

• Legacy Fan
  • Welcome to Heaven
« Reply #50 on: August 14, 2004, 02:48:03 pm »
Hamann was the biggest disappointment for me. I've long thought him not the ideal foil for Gerrard in a side that aspires to me more attacking, and he only reinforced that view today.

Just a shame that the Madrid scum will almost certainly sign Alonso now.

Madrid's bid has been rejected as it was less than ours.

We'll both get £20

Offline Derzyjudek

• Airliner recliner decliner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51 on: August 14, 2004, 02:48:36 pm »

id start warnock at left back,riise either hoofs it to no one or just gives it away.
Quote from: grifter

I'd rather take a belt sander to me cock and crush me own bollocks with a nut cracker than go within 100yds of her stinky flabby twat.

Offline Rashid

• 99% of posts are bullshit, the other 1% get deleted. Unloved, unwashed, and untidy.
  • Main Stander
  • Resident Dog
« Reply #52 on: August 14, 2004, 02:49:03 pm »

id start warnock at left back,riise either hoofs it to no one or just gives it away.

Riise did OK today.

Offline mikeb58

• The Poet Laureate of the Hillsborough forum and indeed, now, the rest of the site! Allez, allez, allez......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #53 on: August 14, 2004, 02:49:36 pm »
Disappointing, but first games of the season are always tricky especially away from home. Thought Spurs might have nicked it after they levelled, we didn't do much in the second half. Still, came away with more than we did last season at Spurs, and if we follow it up next week with a win, that wont be a bad start to the campaign.
Hillsborough...Our Greatest Victory (out now)

Offline Derzyjudek

• Airliner recliner decliner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: August 14, 2004, 02:50:24 pm »

Riise did OK today.

what game where you watching,he was crap!!
Quote from: grifter

I'd rather take a belt sander to me cock and crush me own bollocks with a nut cracker than go within 100yds of her stinky flabby twat.

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #55 on: August 14, 2004, 02:51:07 pm »

Riise did OK today.

Yeah he did, but that was at best. He was just average and OK. He looked better in pre-season, but again, pressure back on and he seemed to just hoof it again.

Wonder what Ged made of the performance?  ;D

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #56 on: August 14, 2004, 02:51:29 pm »
Great first half, big improvement. All we needed to see - with Josemi looking great and Cisse scoring a brilliantly taken goal - not about pace, but about finishing. He'll score 25 goals this season. Should have had two penalties in the match from shirt pulls.

2nd half was just like the bad performances last season. Defending too deep, no passing, no passion. Not a single effort on goal until Carra's header when Spurs had equalised. 

Is it old habits dying hard? Biggest disappointment was dropping too deep and too many hopeful punts. Plus the TERRIBLE Riise free-kick routine. Into the wall? Surprise surprise.

It'll take time to rid the players of their bad habits, but I expected us to play better when 1-0 up. Once the strikers have played a couple more games, they'll be sharper and quicker. We'll improve gradually, but unless he gets the team holding a higher line we'll struggle.

Offline muff007

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #57 on: August 14, 2004, 02:51:31 pm »
Decent first half performance but they just sat back and tried to defend a one goal lead second half (cardinal sin in my book unless 10 mins to go).  Why is it when they score once they seem to think its going to be enough. I could smell that equaliser coming about 15 mins before defoe scored.

Finnan not good enough, Baros was poor, his first touch was terrible, Kewell was in and out of the game, Didi needs replaced IMO.

Get busy Rafa please!

Offline Sami

• vaguely scandinavian
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kome on pool!!!
« Reply #58 on: August 14, 2004, 02:53:53 pm »
Seems like I'm the only weirdo who actually kinda liked Didi's match :-\ Well, he wasn't anything special, but then again, neither was anyone else. Didn't see Didi lose too many battles there though..
4-4-2 Sucks

Offline Graeme

• Slightly Undergay RAWK PC Support
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: August 14, 2004, 02:55:06 pm »
I was very pleased with Josemi.  One thing that stands out is his bravery.  He's not afraid to jump in for the ball even if it means getting clattered himself.  I think he will make a very solid full back.

Offline Tim

• Legacy Fan
  • Welcome to Heaven
« Reply #60 on: August 14, 2004, 02:56:43 pm »
It seems the new found optimism of some people is slowly dwindling after only 45 minutes of poor football...

We'll both get £20

Offline Liverpoolian

• Kopite
  • There is only one team
« Reply #61 on: August 14, 2004, 02:56:53 pm »
we need a few more sparks at midfield, maybe Benetiz needs to develop the midfielders game a bit more, looked like pieces at times

Offline Wilbur

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: August 14, 2004, 02:57:03 pm »
We lost concentration in the second half, and Pongolle  couldn't buy a break from the Ref in the second half, unfortunately.

Carra played well and Kewell looked good again in the second - He took players on, took a shot, didn't shrink.  Too bad Harry couldn't get it out from under his feet in the box there at the end.

I was more concerned about our inability to win the headers in defense consistently.

Igor and Stevie Warnock both looked all right when they came on, but the brightest sparks were HK and Cisse and Josemi - v. brave was Josemi in the header.
Nineteen, we want nineteen.

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #63 on: August 14, 2004, 02:57:40 pm »
At least Rafa will change things that are not working. I'm sure he has his 1st choice line up now - and who knows what will happen this week with signing...phew. All I know is it is going to be a long couple of weeks until that transfer deadline hits.

Offline Liverpoolian

• Kopite
  • There is only one team
« Reply #64 on: August 14, 2004, 02:59:53 pm »
At least Rafa will change things that are not working. I'm sure he has his 1st choice line up now - and who knows what will happen this week with signing...phew. All I know is it is going to be a long couple of weeks until that transfer deadline hits.

I feel the same, Rafa will definitely sort things out, as he probably saw, we need just ONE more injection at midfield.

Offline hide5seek

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in THE 5 EUROPEAN CUPS
« Reply #65 on: August 14, 2004, 03:04:37 pm »
We all know it's going to take a bit of time.

Possibly 2 new additions this coming week (hopefully Alonso).

I reckon we're going to see the team get better and better as the season progresses.

Lost there last season, so we're on the up already ;D

Offline Johan_Halle

• HALLY STALKER
  • Main Stander
« Reply #66 on: August 14, 2004, 03:06:33 pm »
De Ja Vu.
1st half in control, though didn't create a single chance from decent play. Got the goal, though.
2nd half too deep, too static and just too crap.

Positives - Cisse scoring, Baros work rate, Josemi defending
Negatives - Hyypia losing too many headers, Finnan, Baros first touch, Pongolle

Got rid of a lot of dross, now sign someone good to take their places senor Benitez.

Offline Liverpoolian

• Kopite
  • There is only one team
« Reply #67 on: August 14, 2004, 03:06:40 pm »
it's the only way, Better and BETTER  ;D

Offline adamski

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #68 on: August 14, 2004, 03:11:59 pm »

I feel the same, Rafa will definitely sort things out, as he probably saw, we need just ONE more injection at midfield.

It's certainly no news to everyone here that we need a right midfielder, a central midfield 'dynamic' partner for Gerrard and a new centre back.  It's what we were all calling for at the end of last season.

Hopefully Alonso will be as good as people are saying he is.  Josemi's debut today went some way in reassuring me Spanish players can adapt to the Premiership.  Reyes is another one who came straight into Arsenal and didn't appear out of his depth.  I know nothing about Nunez but I have confidence in Rafa and believe he will find us excellent players on the cheap.  Looking forward to seeing the emergence of some new talents. 

I hope Rafa is now looking for a centre back.   

Offline Liverpoolian

• Kopite
  • There is only one team
« Reply #69 on: August 14, 2004, 03:15:20 pm »
I hope Rafa is now looking for a centre back.

what about a re-shuffle of the back 4

Josemi --- Carra --- Hyypia --- Riise?

or do we still need one?  ???

Offline cakmin

• Estoy aburrido
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • La Ostra
« Reply #70 on: August 14, 2004, 03:15:39 pm »
Right back problem: sorted!
Central midfield to partner Gerrard: being chased
Right midfield: being chased
Central back: probably sorted by Carra (& Zhak)
Left back and left wing: Warnock is available to cover
Another striker: possibly needed???

Offline Mikeebee

• Legacy Fan
  • You've won a Blankety Blank Cheque Book & Pen
« Reply #71 on: August 14, 2004, 03:17:47 pm »
Decent performance at best.

Kewell was better when he was going at people, seemed to drift in and out of the game.
Cisse ran hard, was a bit surprised when they subbed him took the goal well, was expecting Baros who was poor overall.
Finnan made a couple of decent crosses but surely cannot be a long term solution on the right.
Gerrard played well, a couple of overhit passes, but worked very hard as usual and pretty much bossed the midfield.  Defintely should have been a penalty for the shirt tug by ifil but did go down somewhat easily when he saw a defender coming across, perhaps that is why it wasn't given, who knows.
Hamman covered the back four well but was almost non-existent at times.
Josemi looked very solid at fullback, not afraid to get stuck in, didn't see any glaring weaknesses.
Hyypia looked slow today, he played well, don't get me wrong, just looked a step slower, maybe because Defoe and Kanoute are quicker than most.
Carragher was strong in the centre of defence and if his header had been a foot either side of, instead of straight at, Robinson I think it goes in.  Worked well in partnership with Sami
Riise overlapped well, that's about it, as others have said too many long balls aimlessly launched downfield.
Dudek had almost nothing to do all game and then got beaten near post :( he also flapped at a cross or two, not an impressive start to the season.

Pongolle seems to be an agititator, sent on primarily to get under the oppositions skin, if that's all he's supposed to do then he had a great game, other wise he looked out of place and out of sorts,  again as previously mentioned he needs to play along side someone instead of on his own with someone in the hole.
Warnock certainly didn't look out of place when he came on, same with Igor.

I think we were unlucky with their goal, it certainly seemed to come of defoe's arm but give him credit for a great finish.  Overall, i think liverpool certainly deserved no less and a draw.  Rafa will probably rue the fact that he subbed Cisse so early, the game certainly turned at that point.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2004, 03:29:21 pm by Mikeebee »
JFT 96 YNWA
@mikeebee7

Offline Guz-kop

• Baz cop
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: August 14, 2004, 03:19:50 pm »
Decent start. I dont think Baros has yet settled into the premiership yet, still looks like he needs extra touches, as does Cisse but they both need games. Defensively, Josemi was class I thought especially 2nd half and Carra/Sami had good games until they messed up for the goal.

1st half was very impressive I thought, controlled large periods of the game with good patient posession. 2nd half was shite though, same as last year but I think a lot of that was down to the fact we've only played 4 pre-season games, we looked knackered after 60mins whereas Spurs kept going.

Aswell as Alonso we still need a right midfielder and a defender and possibly a striker/attacking mid
It's wonderful, it's marvellous, it's 3-3

Offline evo-red

• Kemlynite
« Reply #73 on: August 14, 2004, 03:23:30 pm »
first post and im drunk.....just finished watchin the first game over in aus.  Was happy with the point cause i bet on a draw but dissapointed we didnt finish with the three.  Poor defending on the goal by a few players, also interesting decision to take cisse off....maybe shoulda taken baros off instead.  I really think that playing no recognised right midfielder puts way too much pressure on kewell (even though he did have a decent game) to create the attacking spark we need.

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #74 on: August 14, 2004, 03:26:34 pm »
Well, it was hot, I suppose, so we may have tired. We started pre-season training later than some teams, and Spurs played OVER TWICE AS MANY friendlies!

I just worry with no pace at centre half, we will naturally back off out of fear. Carra defended well, but again got turned in the box for a goal. Seems a weakness when he gets tight on a striker, and the striker "rolls" him. Otherwise he was excellent at both ends of the pitch.

Great to see Warnock get on as a sub, the lad has forced himself into the reckoning. Kewell was a mixed bag, but looked sharper than most of our side, and all the players will get fitter and sharper in the coming weeks. You could argue that the strikers were tired as it was the first league game. However, I don't want to see us taking our two main strikers off so early in games later in the season.

I actually thought Didi played really well. I'd not complain if Igor got a go, but Didi did what he does best - break up play and give it simple. Gerrard along side him was off colour by his high standards, disappearing in the second half after a decent first half.

Early days, I just didn't want to see the bad old habits resurface so soon in the second half; as Rafa said, he'll work on mistakes on a game by game basis. Hope to see a far more positive Liverpool at Anfield than last season, starting from next week.

Offline adamski

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #75 on: August 14, 2004, 03:30:54 pm »
Well, it was hot, I suppose, so we may have tired. We started pre-season training later than some teams, and Spurs played OVER TWICE AS MANY friendlies!

Early days, I just didn't want to see the bad old habits resurface so soon in the second half; as Rafa said, he'll work on mistakes on a game by game basis. Hope to see a far more positive Liverpool at Anfield than last season, starting from next week.

Spot on.  The real acid test will be Anfield next week.  As an away performance at a tough ground with all the changes we've recently undergone, 1-1 aint that bad. 

Offline LFCChosenOne

• Main Stander
    • Liverpool Football Zone
« Reply #76 on: August 14, 2004, 03:32:45 pm »
A big positive i noticed from the game, was that the ball wasn't passed around the back for about a year, then when an attack looks on it ends up finding it's way all the way back to Dudek.

Josemi's Premiership Debut also was something to take from the game i believe the only foot he put wrong was when a miss-clearance and mix-up with Hyypia allowing Defoe through.

Cisse had a decent game considering it was his first game for Liverpool in the Prem' and to grab a goal with a neat finish will do his confidence good.

Of course there was a few negatives(all reminiscent of Houllier's reign) but it will be interesting to see if they are still there come half a dozen game down the line.

To only allow a home team to get only 1 shot on target the whole game was very good also.

It is still quite obvious we need a right midfielder and hopefully the Alonso deal is ironed out soon and Madrid don't hijack it.
www[dot]lfc[dot]rocks[dot]it

Offline Tim

• Legacy Fan
  • Welcome to Heaven
« Reply #77 on: August 14, 2004, 03:33:02 pm »

Spot on. The real acid test will be Anfield next week. As an away performance at a tough ground with all the changes we've recently undergone, 1-1 aint that bad.

Well if we win all of our home games and draw all of our away games we'll have 76 points and would be there or thereabouts.

;D

We'll both get £20

Offline Guz-kop

• Baz cop
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78 on: August 14, 2004, 03:33:15 pm »
Didi was tidy but we had the same old problem (as we did on Tuesday too) in which nearly everything good in midfield is coming from Gerrard. When Gerrard went quiet in the 2nd half, it was left to Kewell to take the game from midfield and he did alright but we progressivley got more and more defensive. We could do with having an extra, more dynamic and creative presence in central midfield as Didi, Igor and Diao all do the same job.
It's wonderful, it's marvellous, it's 3-3

Offline docker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #79 on: August 14, 2004, 03:42:11 pm »
first half ok, defence was never troubled, second half exposed what we all know, he has got to get a centre half to partner hypia. one mistake, but it dosent half cost you. midfield got stretched no outlet when the two forwards were replaced, so he does need a forward. i thought spurs were there to be taken, especially when rednap was on the pitch. im afraid there is not much to cheer about yet, but at least the manager knows he needs good players, rather than postcodes, but i dont think were going to get them.....champions no chance.
block 107