Author Topic: The Title Race 2023/24- Jurgen's Last Dance  (Read 252131 times)

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
Re: The Title Race 2023/24- Jurgen's Last Dance
« Reply #1080 on: March 16, 2024, 03:05:22 am »
A draw between City and Arsenal is the best result for us.
Presuming what?
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #1081 on: March 16, 2024, 09:21:19 am »
A draw between City and Arsenal is the best result for us.

This seems like the answer until you take into account the fixture lists after the game
Arsenals schedule, including the CL, when they constantly depend on the same 13/14 players is nuts where as City have the easiest run in
It’s obv guesswork but an Arsenal win is probably best for us

Offline stonecold_jpm

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1082 on: March 16, 2024, 01:01:28 pm »
I don’t think the CL QF fixtures for both of them will make a big difference to the league title race, firstly Arsenal cos they play Villa at home in between and likely will not be playing the weekend after the 2nd leg due to the FA Cup semis. Whilst City can go full pelt with Madrid knowing they’ve only got Luton at home in between the ties, if anything it’s their next game in the FA Cup semi final which could see a spanner thrown in the works for them but unfortunately that isn’t the league so I’d deffo want them in the semi should we get through tomorrow. However, there’s no doubt if they both go through and face off in the semi finals, then that will definitely have an effect, alas I can see Harry Kane having the last laugh and dumping Arsenal out, just one of them things that look inevitable really.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2024, 01:04:11 pm by stonecold_jpm »

Offline Caps4444

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1083 on: March 16, 2024, 01:15:19 pm »
A Coventry win would mean Arsenal play @Wolves 3 days after they travel to Munich

Offline abhred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1084 on: March 16, 2024, 02:35:08 pm »
A Coventry win would mean Arsenal play @Wolves 3 days after they travel to Munich

Things working out nicely for us.
It wouldn't be Liverpool if we didn't do it the hard way... ask Gareth Southgate.

Offline stonecold_jpm

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1085 on: March 16, 2024, 03:03:27 pm »

Well that was an unexpected surprise, Arsenal’s fixture list mounted up just when it was looking like they’d get a breather on FA Cup semi weekend.

Brighton (a)
Bayern (H)
Villa (H)
Bayern (a)
Wolves (a)
Chelsea (H) probably
Spurs (a)

Offline MD1990

• Makes your eyes bleed and your brain hurt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1086 on: March 16, 2024, 03:23:15 pm »
arsenal playing wolves away after they went out of fa cup is a good result for us

Offline Hestoic

• Kopite
« Reply #1087 on: March 17, 2024, 11:05:35 am »
Well that was an unexpected surprise, Arsenal’s fixture list mounted up just when it was looking like they’d get a breather on FA Cup semi weekend.

Brighton (a)
Bayern (H)
Villa (H)
Bayern (a)
Wolves (a)
Chelsea (H) probably
Spurs (a)

That's a pretty grueling schedule. If they come out of that with max points, then fair fucks to them.

Offline BigCDump

• Legacy Fan
  • Let's Klopp Til' We Drop
« Reply #1088 on: March 17, 2024, 11:40:57 am »

Brighton (a)
Bayern (H)
Villa (H)
Bayern (a)
Wolves (a)
Chelsea (H) probably
Spurs (a)

Just when they needed a Burnley, Forest, Fulham, Sheffield Utd or Brentford game in that run they've used them all up. Eek!

City's final four games are a laugh. Not only 12 guaranteed points but the flat track bully Haaland will ensure City have the best goal difference in the league by a large margin at the end.

An Arsenal win against City makes the most sense.
Nineteen Six. Believe it now, baby!

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1089 on: March 17, 2024, 06:10:35 pm »
Think that shows why we have the hardest fixtures left bar none. United away for us is an entirely different animal than for City or Arsenal. Same with Everton.
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1090 on: March 17, 2024, 06:15:30 pm »
Think that shows why we have the hardest fixtures left bar none. United away for us is an entirely different animal than for City or Arsenal. Same with Everton.

We haven't done the business in the big games this season, too many draws, we should be killing certain games like the one against City last week off, we didn't.

We need Jota back.

Offline Caligula?

• Most Negative poster on site, Moan, Moan, Moan, Liverpool are shite... Does he ever stop
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #1091 on: March 17, 2024, 07:14:47 pm »
I'd lie if I said that wasn't deflating a bit. It just feels like we've been holding on for a few weeks now and I suppose it's best that that performance and result came in the cup rather than the League. I just think that City and Arsenal are probably slightly above us as favorites for the league currently. One has all the momentum in the world and the other just doesn't need mentioning. We've done incredibly well given the circumstances though.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1092 on: March 17, 2024, 07:16:18 pm »
There is no momentum now, evreyone doesn't play for two weeks.  ;D

Offline Big Dirk

• But with Little Harnds. One of these is incorrerct.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Belfast Red
« Reply #1093 on: March 17, 2024, 07:18:29 pm »
We haven't done the business in the big games this season, too many draws, we should be killing certain games like the one against City last week off, we didn't.

We need Jota back.
Correct…if that is Jota coming on instead of Gakpo we win that game comfortably
Born a Red-Live a Red-Die a Red

Offline Caligula?

• Most Negative poster on site, Moan, Moan, Moan, Liverpool are shite... Does he ever stop
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #1094 on: March 17, 2024, 07:20:46 pm »
There is no momentum now, evreyone doesn't play for two weeks.  ;D

Confidence, momentum, whatever you want to call it. They aren't going to come back in two weeks' time and suddenly look shite because they've had a bit of time off.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1095 on: March 17, 2024, 07:22:43 pm »
And are we?  ;D

Offline Big Dirk

• But with Little Harnds. One of these is incorrerct.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Belfast Red
« Reply #1096 on: March 17, 2024, 07:23:13 pm »
Correct..Look at the atmosphere today compared to when they played City and it will be the same at Everton although they are that shit it shouldn’t matter…like City last week we need to kill teams off.
Born a Red-Live a Red-Die a Red

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1097 on: March 17, 2024, 07:24:06 pm »
Confidence, momentum, whatever you want to call it. They aren't going to come back in two weeks' time and suddenly look shite because they've had a bit of time off.

I dont see how their confidence is stronger than ours, we have won a trophy in this post Christmas run and have players set to return. We also scared City senseless with many players missing and now sit joint on points with the top side.

Also now we have Arsenal with an absolute brutal run in. At some point in the next two rounds, at least one of them is going out. What will that do for confidence and momentum?

Offline DHRED

• Main Stander
« Reply #1098 on: March 17, 2024, 07:34:54 pm »
I dont see how their confidence is stronger than ours, we have won a trophy in this post Christmas run and have players set to return. We also scared City senseless with many players missing and now sit joint on points with the top side.

Also now we have Arsenal with an absolute brutal run in. At some point in the next two rounds, at least one of them is going out. What will that do for confidence and momentum?

We may have scared them but we could only manage a draw.

A draw away at Old Trafford won’t be enough.

Offline shook

• not stirred
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1099 on: March 17, 2024, 07:37:01 pm »
Brighton
Sheffield (H)
Utd
Atalanta (h)

Definitely like the fact that Sheffield is in between. Churn out a win at home to Brighton (its on a Sunday so that should help re: internationals), then can rotated 2-3 players like Ibou, yet still should win at Sheffield at home. Then United Away, who no matter how shit they really are, should be treated akin to City Away. But at least the two matches prior will help.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #1100 on: March 17, 2024, 07:37:59 pm »

They won't have their normal rhythm though it's going to be down to who can regain that the quickest and hopefully we can. They aren't going to want this rest as they will want the season to go on now.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Kloppage Time

• Anny Roader
  • ¯⁠\⁠_⁠(⁠⊙⁠_⁠ʖ⁠⊙⁠)⁠_⁠/⁠¯
« Reply #1101 on: March 17, 2024, 07:40:17 pm »
Better to have fucked up today than in the league, lesson learned ... hopefully
Anyone can have a good day, but you have to be able to perform on a bad day.

Jurgen Klopp

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1102 on: March 17, 2024, 07:42:41 pm »
We may have scared them but we could only manage a draw.

A draw away at Old Trafford won’t be enough.

Yes I know but clearly thats a future thing, i am talking about whats happened up to now. Dont get how we, the side that sit joint on points and have won a trophy are the ones with the least confidence and momentum.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #1103 on: March 17, 2024, 07:44:14 pm »
Yes I know but clearly thats a future thing, i am talking about whats happened up to now. Dont get how we, the side that sit joint on points and have won a trophy are the ones with the least confidence and momentum.

Because people on here are obsessed with Arsenal rather than the Team they actually support.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline JP!

• An infinite ocean of joy. May in fact be the reincarnation of the Buddha.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Save us Fowler
    • Cranky Englishman - Yes, that's me.
« Reply #1104 on: March 17, 2024, 07:47:36 pm »
Because people on here are obsessed with Arsenal rather than the Team they actually support.

Said this weeks ago and got absolute pelters, people on here are desperate to suck Lego Head's team of nonces off for some reason.
I don't agree, he'd go to Legoland. Bye.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #1105 on: March 17, 2024, 07:49:16 pm »
Said this weeks ago and got absolute pelters, people on here are desperate to suck Lego Head's team of nonces off for some reason.

It genuinely blows my mind.

We do what we did at Forest and everyone was raving about them saying they have momentum, etc.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #1106 on: March 17, 2024, 07:50:36 pm »
United and Everton away might now be the most important games in Klopp's tenure as manager.

Win both and hopefully (maybe) we set up his final game at Anfield as one the great events in
40 years at the club.
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline Wool

• eBack
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1107 on: March 17, 2024, 07:50:44 pm »
07 Apr 2018   Everton v Liverpool   D   0-0   Premier League
03 Mar 2019   Everton v Liverpool   D   0-0   Premier League
21 Jun 2020   Everton v Liverpool   D   0-0   Premier League
17 Oct 2020   Everton v Liverpool   D   2-2   Premier League
01 Dec 2021   Everton v Liverpool   W   1-4   Premier League
03 Sep 2022   Everton v Liverpool   D   0-0   Premier League

Our record at Goodson is quite tragic in recent years considering the massive gulf between the two sides. 1 win in 6 with four 0-0s.

I think Goodison and Utd away decide the title, here’s hoping we play football because too often we go to those grounds and just don’t.

Online Haggis36

• purveyor of better gifs than trendisnotdestiny
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1108 on: March 17, 2024, 07:52:43 pm »
I wouldn't read all that much into the impact of that result on our momentum/mentality, but the concern is to me that looked like a really tired performance today, not just physically but mentally, and the schedule isn't letting up from here.

We're getting players back soon but they will take time to be fully up to speed (I'm not sure any of Robertson, Szoboszlai or Salah are back to anywhere near their best yet), and in attack especially players are looking leggy - Diaz must be beyond the red-zone, Nunez doesn't look fit enough for 90 minutes (never mind twice a week), Gakpo is either not arsed or not fully fit/tired, and Jota is going to take time to get back to his normal level.

Reckon we might see another couple of those types of away performances - originally I was really only worried about Utd and Everton, but Fulham and West Ham could be absolute slogs as well. Could really do with some of the lads getting the international period off, but no doubt both Diaz and Nunez will be flogged for 180 minutes. At least Salah is getting a rest.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1109 on: March 17, 2024, 07:52:45 pm »
07 Apr 2018   Everton v Liverpool   D   0-0   Premier League
03 Mar 2019   Everton v Liverpool   D   0-0   Premier League
21 Jun 2020   Everton v Liverpool   D   0-0   Premier League
17 Oct 2020   Everton v Liverpool   D   2-2   Premier League
01 Dec 2021   Everton v Liverpool   W   1-4   Premier League
03 Sep 2022   Everton v Liverpool   D   0-0   Premier League

Our record at Goodson is quite tragic in recent years considering the massive gulf between the two sides. 1 win in 6 with four 0-0s.

I think Goodison and Utd away decide the title, here’s hoping we play football because too often we go to those grounds and just don’t.

Yep its always a concern. Both games are going to be tough but the fact is we have to win.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1110 on: March 17, 2024, 07:53:41 pm »

Both sides have had different kinds of momentum. We've had it from winning the Cup and Arsenal will have it from beating us even if we were under strength against them, momentum comes in many forms and as ever its how a team uses it. Of the two I would say Arsenal will be disappointed about the international break as it means they will have to start again after coming back from the internationals.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #1111 on: March 17, 2024, 07:54:22 pm »
Yep its always a concern. Both games are going to be tough but the fact is we have to win.

United have Chelsea away in the midweek before they play us.

Everton match will the midweek after Fulham away and they have Forest that weekend.

Offline shook

• not stirred
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1112 on: March 17, 2024, 07:54:48 pm »

Both teams might actually have to attack more to try and get the 3 points (everton maybe less so, but they are real close to relegation so let us see by then)....Utd 6 points behind Spurs for Top 5

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #1113 on: March 17, 2024, 07:58:44 pm »
Both teams might actually have to attack more to try and get the 3 points (everton maybe less so, but they are real close to relegation so let us see by then)....Utd 6 points behind Spurs for Top 5

They are both so small time that they would probably rather draw than try to win if it stop us winning the title.

Online HeartAndSoul

• OneWillBurn
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RedOrDead
« Reply #1114 on: March 17, 2024, 08:05:24 pm »
I wouldn't read all that much into the impact of that result on our momentum/mentality, but the concern is to me that looked like a really tired performance today, not just physically but mentally, and the schedule isn't letting up from here.

We're getting players back soon but they will take time to be fully up to speed (I'm not sure any of Robertson, Szoboszlai or Salah are back to anywhere near their best yet), and in attack especially players are looking leggy - Diaz must be beyond the red-zone, Nunez doesn't look fit enough for 90 minutes (never mind twice a week), Gakpo is either not arsed or not fully fit/tired, and Jota is going to take time to get back to his normal level.

Reckon we might see another couple of those types of away performances - originally I was really only worried about Utd and Everton, but Fulham and West Ham could be absolute slogs as well. Could really do with some of the lads getting the international period off, but no doubt both Diaz and Nunez will be flogged for 180 minutes. At least Salah is getting a rest.

It was literally the same when we got to the 3 finals a couple of seasons ago. We looked dead on our feet in the run in and that’s probably what ended up costing us the big 2 trophies that year. Just hope that now we’re out the FA cup, we can really go for it in the league now. We really should be getting to the final of the Europa but I’d sacrifice that if it meant winning the league.

Online Haggis36

• purveyor of better gifs than trendisnotdestiny
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1115 on: March 17, 2024, 08:19:03 pm »
It was literally the same when we got to the 3 finals a couple of seasons ago. We looked dead on our feet in the run in and that’s probably what ended up costing us the big 2 trophies that year. Just hope that now we’re out the FA cup, we can really go for it in the league now. We really should be getting to the final of the Europa but I’d sacrifice that if it meant winning the league.

It's tough - our chances of winning the Europa League are significantly higher than our chances of winning the league, so I'm not sure you can jib it in, but equally it feels like as you say, in the 21/22 season we spread ourselves too thin chasing too many trophies and ultimately fell short in the two that mattered the most because we were dead on our feet. The injuries haven't helped, as there's one or two who have played a huge amount of football this season so far who are probably going to be running on fumes for the run-in.

I'd back the crowd to get us over the line in the home games, but every last one of those away games looks like it could attract a similar lethargic performance as we got today. We're going to have to be really clever in how we manage the squad from here on out. I'd be using the kids significantly more in the EL than we did against Prague.

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #1116 on: March 17, 2024, 08:19:35 pm »

Yep, this. We not only have to have fresh starting 11s in these PL games but we also have to have 2-3 game changers ready to come on.

Our kingdom for the fitness of Jota, Jones and Trent for this run-in.
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1117 on: March 17, 2024, 08:21:39 pm »
Our starting 11’s in the Europa have been stronger than they need to be. All effort needs to be made in the league and we need to use Europa to rest players.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #1118 on: March 17, 2024, 08:22:27 pm »

I don't think Klopp will do that.

It is one last push after the break with a maximum of 15 games in a 7 week period (52 days).
« Last Edit: March 17, 2024, 08:26:22 pm by Nick110581 »

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1119 on: March 17, 2024, 08:24:24 pm »
Our starting 11’s in the Europa have been stronger than they need to be. All effort needs to be made in the league and we need to use Europa to rest players.

He's not doing that, he will take both competitions seriously. Once we get more players back that will help anyway.