Author Topic: LFC's next manager - chat and informed speculation  (Read 636359 times)

Online Stockholm Syndrome

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: LFC's next manager - chat and informed speculation
« Reply #9760 on: April 22, 2024, 08:05:52 pm »
That’s true and I said above that journalists don’t know.

In fact here’s another bit of speculation:

“Sepulveda claims Amorim is also set to meet Liverpool for talks while he is in London.”

From his Twitter….

“Rúben Amorim is in a private flight right now on his way to London! Meeting with @LFC and @WestHam is scheduled.”

So according to the source that claimed he was flying to London, Omorim, is also talking to us……..allegedly.

The story changes by the hour.

He has said we are always in for him. But he also made claims it was all agreed and he would sign weeks ago.

He likely is chatting bollocks, as the Portuguese media appears to be one to do (remember our deal to sign Enzo Fernandez?)

Ornstein has regularly said Amorim is under consideration but not the standout clear candidate. He is now saying he isn't likely to be our primary candidate. He has gotten story's about us right for the last few years.

If it is a choice between a random Portuguese Journalist and who is likely the premium Football journalist in the UK who has a track record with us, I am probably going for the one who has been reliable.

Unless I want to cope in which case I will go for the random fella's report

Offline Haggis36

• purveyor of better gifs than trendisnotdestiny
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9761 on: April 22, 2024, 08:14:13 pm »
Motta is tactically very interesting but I wouldn’t want him anywhere near the job with his level of experience.

One thing I will say on Frank, as someone who watches a lot of the football league, he turned Ivan Toney from a strong but blunt and basic poacher into one of the best penalty box strikers in Europe. Toney has superb awareness, great feet in tight spaces, is an excellent decision maker and improved his range of finishing massively.

I don’t love Frank as an appointment because of his lack of higher level experience, but if you look at him as a case study of elevating individual player’s beyond their perceived ceiling, he’s quite excellent at it. Jensen, Norgaard, Mee, Toney, Mbeumo, Benrahma, Watkins, Pinnock etc all played the best football of their careers under Frank OR he helped elevate them to a higher level and bigger club.

I know there will be an element of us being interested in anyone who has their side "punching above their weight" so to speak, but I'd be really worried if we appointed someone who has absolutely no experience of playing the style of football that would be expected at a club like Liverpool. All good and well playing counter-attacking, underdog football at Brentford but that wouldn't work here, and we basically have no idea how someone like Frank would cope managing a side who comes up against a deep block every week because he's never done it. De Zerbi likewise - from memory, some of Brighton's worst performances and biggest losses this season have been against sides happy to let Brighton have the ball and then break on them quickly, which is what many sides look to do to us. Brighton do dominate possession, but I don't feel like that's necessarily because sides sit in against them.

Amorim and Xabi seemed to tick the box of overperforming, but doing so at the top of the table against teams who presumably will set up defensively/to stop them. I just think appointing someone with no experience of having to break down packed defences is a real risk, and I don't see how any of the PL-based names mooted can demonstrate that ability.

Offline buttersstotch

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9762 on: April 22, 2024, 08:18:29 pm »
Sounds very much from the Orny link that it's either a play from Amorim's team to put pressure on us, or we are just not interested.

Amorim seems the best candidate on paper, but who knows really. Will agree with others that the likes of Potter, De Zerbi and Frank just do not seem inspiring. Wonder if there's a massive left field candidate out there who is on none of our radars.

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #9763 on: April 22, 2024, 08:19:20 pm »
I've been thinking it would be Thiago Motta ever since Xabi ruled himself out, even when his name wasn't mentioned. Dunno why.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline MD1990

• Makes your eyes bleed and your brain hurt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9764 on: April 22, 2024, 08:19:30 pm »
Frank has done an excellent job at Brentford & i have noticed Brentford's combination play in attack in particluar is outstanding
but he really doesnt seem a Liverpool manager

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #9765 on: April 22, 2024, 08:20:31 pm »
Well this is getting a teeny tiny bit concerning ……

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #9766 on: April 22, 2024, 08:22:12 pm »
Potter is a no he is a fit for West Ham.

Mind give Moyes his due he has done a good job at West Ham to be fair.

In terms of pure results Moyes has done very well, done well in Europe as well. Ultimately his football is awful though so when results are bad patience quickly runs out. Especially with West Ham whose fans always expect a certain style of play.

Potter with them would be a good fit. Would improve their style of play. In terms of Liverpool, I think the job would be too big for him.

Amorim as well a good appointment for West Ham. Could have an Emery at Villa type effect.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline dis_1

• Main Stander
« Reply #9767 on: April 22, 2024, 08:22:28 pm »
i've wondered if there was anything in the timing of Xavi saying he was to leave Barca, think it was around mid-january

Offline Garlic Red

• Kopite
  • Pop n crisp
« Reply #9768 on: April 22, 2024, 08:26:47 pm »
i've wondered if there was anything in the timing of Xavi saying he was to leave Barca, think it was around mid-january

Yeah, they’d just been beat 5-3 by Villarreal and had just gone 10 points behind Real.

Online mkferdy

• "Zlat's all, folks!" (yes, that's MY joke!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9769 on: April 22, 2024, 08:26:57 pm »
Pep Guardiola wants to prove he can win the league without cheating  ;D….really hope it’s not Eddie Howe, would be concerned if it ends up being a job for the boys as it were.

Offline OkieRedman

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9770 on: April 22, 2024, 08:28:31 pm »
What is with the Xavi chat? Zero chance. What has he done that is even remotely special as a manager?

Online Legs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9771 on: April 22, 2024, 08:30:07 pm »
In terms of pure results Moyes has done very well, done well in Europe as well. Ultimately his football is awful though so when results are bad patience quickly runs out. Especially with West Ham whose fans always expect a certain style of play.

Potter with them would be a good fit. Would improve their style of play. In terms of Liverpool, I think the job would be too big for him.

Amorim as well a good appointment for West Ham. Could have an Emery at Villa type effect.

True and that is the issue West Ham have as Bilic came in played good footy and had a great first season then they struggled next season so he got sacked this happens when you don’t have the finances to play that brand to a high level or level they think they should be at.

Online Legs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9772 on: April 22, 2024, 08:31:18 pm »
What is with the Xavi chat? Zero chance. What has he done that is even remotely special as a manager?

Yeah not likely to be him would he quit Barca for us ?

He is a name and won the league in Spain I think he has anyway ?

Offline crewlove

• Main Stander
« Reply #9773 on: April 22, 2024, 08:34:57 pm »

He said he would leave after the season. Now there are rumours he may stay.

Offline Shankly998

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9774 on: April 22, 2024, 08:35:15 pm »

He won the league clearly a smart guy could do worse

Offline Wingman

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9775 on: April 22, 2024, 08:36:39 pm »
No, Potter chose the quick buck over having a meaningful career. He has not earned the right to manage us.

The guy made a mistake. I have more than one on my CV.

Offline HardworkDedication

• Hardwork and Dedication linked to many stories - Mingebag. Has no opinion of his own. Human news ticker tape.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9776 on: April 22, 2024, 08:37:24 pm »
He has said we are always in for him. But he also made claims it was all agreed and he would sign weeks ago.

He likely is chatting bollocks, as the Portuguese media appears to be one to do (remember our deal to sign Enzo Fernandez?)

Ornstein has regularly said Amorim is under consideration but not the standout clear candidate. He is now saying he isn't likely to be our primary candidate. He has gotten story's about us right for the last few years.

If it is a choice between a random Portuguese Journalist and who is likely the premium Football journalist in the UK who has a track record with us, I am probably going for the one who has been reliable.

Unless I want to cope in which case I will go for the random fella's report

Personally, I think Ornstein knows more than he is letting on. It's just a hunch based on his reporting in recent weeks. Previously, he said it was "incredibly unlikely" that we would go for De Zerbi. The tone of his reporting suggested to me that you can absolutely rule him out. Like you said above, he's consistently said that Amorim, despite being under consideration, wasn't the outstanding candidate and that we were still exploring other candidates. Also, a couple of days ago he talked about Hughes and Edwards being prepared to be "brave over popular" when choosing the next manager and it's why I wasn't surprised when he came out today and stated Amorim is unlikely. I just have this naggin feeling that he has an idea who the next manager is going to be but hasn't been given the all clear to report it yet. I could be way off but that's how I feel.

I think we can definitely rule out O'neil, though. Hughes isn't going to sack someone he didn't think was good enough for Bournemouth and then a year later think he is good enough to manage one of the best teams in Europe.  He would look like an absolute idiot if he did that and would rightly raise eyebrows by fans.

It's going to be interesting times ahead. No idea who I want as manager now. I don't think you can rule out the likes of Frank, Potter, Howe etc going by the brave over popular comment.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2024, 08:40:39 pm by HardworkDedication »

Offline Cafe De Paris

• Kopite
  • Up the Red Men
« Reply #9777 on: April 22, 2024, 08:38:24 pm »
Potter, De Zerbi, Howe, Frank.  :lmao What a time to be alive. Grim days ahead
If that’s all we’ve got then we are fucked. Apart from Di Zerbi the others I wouldn’t give them a mop job.
LFC a bastion of invincibility.

Online Legs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9778 on: April 22, 2024, 08:38:44 pm »
He won the league clearly a smart guy could do worse

It would be odd to leave Spain though especially for a club he played his career at.

Who knows though managers don’t last long at Barca/Madrid ever must be quite intense.

Offline Shankly998

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9779 on: April 22, 2024, 08:42:50 pm »
It would be odd to leave Spain though especially for a club he played his career at.

Who knows though managers don’t last long at Barca/Madrid ever must be quite intense.

Barca are a mess off the field not just the financial stuff but all the political bullshit as well he's admitted to being a fan of the premier eague maybe he'd want to pit himself against Pep it's not a totally crazy suggestion he could takeover he is leaving Barca after all

Online Caps4444

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9780 on: April 22, 2024, 08:44:42 pm »
Why would Amorim want to manage a mid-table team like West Ham? He could stay at Sporting one more season and if he wins again, he would then have a chance of a top club? Seems odd to meet with the Hammers?

Offline Caston

• Castoff, Knitone, Purlone
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9781 on: April 22, 2024, 08:46:22 pm »
Why would Amorim want to manage a mid-table team like West Ham? He could stay at Sporting one more season and if he wins again, he would then have a chance of a top club? Seems odd to meet with the Hammers?

Wages and London I guess

Offline MD1990

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9782 on: April 22, 2024, 08:46:43 pm »
doesnt seem to be a top target.

It does seem it will be a left field apointment, Must be someone doing very well data wise

Offline ScubaSteve

• Sworn enemy of SnorkelStephanie
  • Legacy Fan
  • Every other Saturday's me half day off......
« Reply #9783 on: April 22, 2024, 08:47:09 pm »
If that’s all we’ve got then we are fucked. Apart from Di Zerbi the others I wouldn’t give them a mop job.

Yeah might as well leave it to us on RAWK to pick transfers, starting XI etc. hahaha

Anything next to Klopp will feel like a massive downgrade.

What’s going on with the Arne Slot shouts too. The journos are all over the place, it’s a bit of clickbait. I’ll carry on reading on here and stay away from Twitter.

Online Caps4444

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9784 on: April 22, 2024, 08:48:13 pm »
Wages and London I guess

Yes - didn’t think of that…..fair enough

Online Redbonnie

• Kopite
« Reply #9785 on: April 22, 2024, 08:48:25 pm »
If it's not Xabi or Amorim, fuck it, I'm up for giving Simeone a go. It might not be the kind of football we want, but I reckon he would keep us competing.

I think it would be a mad combo us and Simeone. We would all get behind him and end up invading the Falklands on the Royal Iris.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2024, 09:31:09 pm by Redbonnie »

Offline OkieRedman

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9786 on: April 22, 2024, 08:48:38 pm »
Huh. I didn't realize Barca won the title last year. In my mind they have been a shit show for almost half a decade now.

Offline exiledintheUSA

• Not to be confused with Darren from Thetford. Or Phil Dowd.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice HAS come. YNWA 97
« Reply #9787 on: April 22, 2024, 08:48:54 pm »
Well this is getting a teeny tiny bit concerning ……

Or we've already got it all tied up in the background and just playing a literal blinder in the press.
Been all over the world but Anfield is still my home.

Offline Cpt_Reina

• Vibranium goalie gloves.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #9788 on: April 22, 2024, 08:49:39 pm »

Money.

And if you do well enough at a PL club you'll get linked to bigger jobs regardless.

De Zerbi has won nothing at Brighton but is still getting linked to Liverpool. Poch at Saints. Potter at Brighton. Rodgers with Swansea. Moyes with Everton. Espirito Santo with Wolves.

None of them won a thing, but they all got a move.

Online Caps4444

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9789 on: April 22, 2024, 08:50:06 pm »
Who would the the experienced candidates, there really are not any.

Online DHRED

• Main Stander
« Reply #9790 on: April 22, 2024, 08:50:47 pm »

Maybe his wife likes shopping

Online Redbonnie

• Kopite
« Reply #9791 on: April 22, 2024, 08:51:20 pm »
I am not judging any manager on Chelsea as they are a complete and utter mess and I doubt any manager will be able to turn them around. I think Potter can develop a team, especially a young one. He won't be good enough for certain people of course, but I think given time he'd do a good job.

I don’t want Potter but Chelsea sacked Ancelotti and I would have him in a heartbeat.

Online Caps4444

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9792 on: April 22, 2024, 08:51:53 pm »
Money.

And if you do well enough at a PL club you'll get linked to bigger jobs regardless.

De Zerbi has won nothing at Brighton but is still getting linked to Liverpool. Poch at Saints. Potter at Brighton. Rodgers with Swansea. Moyes with Everton. Espirito Santo with Wolves.

None of them won a thing, but they all got a move.

Stepping stone type of move…seems logical as massive clubs won’t risk it yet, will want to see him performing at a tougher league.

Maybe no wants to risk another Villas-Boas?

Offline djschembri

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9793 on: April 22, 2024, 08:52:22 pm »

Just because you go to a job interview for tentative talks doesn't mean any deal is definitely done... whether we are interested in him or not.

Klopp famously met with Woodward and Man United but he didnt become their manager.

Offline MD1990

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9794 on: April 22, 2024, 08:54:43 pm »
Who would the the experienced candidates, there really are not any.
Emery
Flick
Schmit
Tuchel
Gasperini
Bielsa (
Spalletti

Bielsa & Spalletti in jobs of course so very unlikely

Offline eyescream

• ewes'cream
  • Kopite
« Reply #9795 on: April 22, 2024, 08:55:15 pm »
Or we've already got it all tied up in the background and just playing a literal blinder in the press.

I think so too.  Maybe the club has decided who will be the next manager, they have some sort of agreement and are waiting for the end of the season to announce .

Online Caps4444

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9796 on: April 22, 2024, 08:55:18 pm »
Emery
Flick
Schmit
Tuchel
Gasperini
Bielsa (
Spalletti

Bielsa & Spalletti in jobs of course so very unlikely

Would be tough to get Emery, especially as they are finishing 4th.

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #9797 on: April 22, 2024, 08:57:22 pm »
Schmidt
Slot
Hoeneß

Between those 3 now IMO.

Online Caps4444

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9798 on: April 22, 2024, 08:58:27 pm »

I’d be surprised as the process may have only started once Edwards had joined?

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #9799 on: April 22, 2024, 08:58:55 pm »
Potter, De Zerbi, Howe, Frank.  :lmao What a time to be alive. Grim days ahead

Hard not to feel disappointed if this is how it's going to go. Who knows what'll really happen when all is said and done, but I think people would have been quite excited in an Alonso or Amorim, ideally expectations could have been squashed a little earlier but I suppose even the club don't know exactly how it's going to end up. Shame people have wasted so much time watching games that don't concern us or gone round telling people who the manager is definitely, definitely going to be this time.

I really can't be arsed with someone proper left field, I'll be honest. The names you've listed, I think they'd be laughed at out of Anfield the moment it starts going wrong, and there's others too. We obviously can't improve on Klopp but some of these potential choices who I imagine might interest the club aren't just scraping the barrel, they've already fucking destroyed it. My personal choice would be someone who generally has been shorter-term but has winning experience, to oversee a strong side and bring some of their own in. Don't think you can underestimate enough the likes of a Graham Potter walking in when you've got the likes of Van Dijk, Salah, Trent etc there, how potentially terrible that could go. I really think some of them would down tools, honestly.

The whole thing just feels proper Liverpool, going backwards when we should be building towards something again. Ahh fuck I wish Klopp wasn't nackered and we could do all this in two years time.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.