Author Topic: LFC's next manager - chat and informed speculation  (Read 626438 times)

Offline Caps4444

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: LFC's next manager - chat and informed speculation
« Reply #9720 on: April 22, 2024, 07:37:31 pm »
Perhaps we want someone with more experience? Not sure who is out there with the experience that we need?
Really tough.

Why would Amorim go to West Ham?

London factor?

Offline Legs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9721 on: April 22, 2024, 07:37:33 pm »
I've never really thought that Alonso would be coming here, but was somehow convinced that Amorim was going to be our target. Now I'm surprised and still hope he'll be coming to us anyway.

I really hope we are not going for PL-proven manager first. RDZ was already dismissed as I remember. Him and the rest are... everybody knows.

There is Xavi still available, but last few weeks he's childish and still unable to self-reflect. Motta I've heard is promising, but even more inexperienced than the others? Slot is like worse ETH if I am not mistaken.

I think you are not likely to be happy with who we get then 😂

I mean PL wise it can only be Thomas Frank but it could be anyone from another league.

Online Stockholm Syndrome

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9722 on: April 22, 2024, 07:38:37 pm »
Why are you bringing Chelsea into it? You said yourself they are a basket-case of a club so expecting anyone to do anything half decent is unrealistic at this stage.  He works well with young players, and can develop teams. I think with a better squad (like the one we have), he would do a lot better. I'm not saying they will even choose him I just hate the garbage on here where someone just claims someone is shite because they don't want him as manager. I don't really see what's so much better about Thomas Frank to be honest.

Taking Chelsea out of it then he got a shit team to 9th, finishing 15th and 16th the years before. De Zerbi improved on that instantly. He played attacking football but for all his time could not score goals, was one of the worst at it.

He played nice football and liked playing kids but he hardly set the world on fire.

Could he do better with a good squad like our, who knows. Maybe he can't manage big clubs, deer in headlights kind of way. He hasn't done much to prove he is worthy of the chance though, far from it.

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #9723 on: April 22, 2024, 07:39:00 pm »
Agreed. I like the man, I like the way he managed up to and including Brighton and how he's gone about his career. * Of course there was Chelsea, but that entity is like poison to anyone who comes in contact with it. Loving the fumbling around here.

I agree. It's because  he's English and people like to think most English managers are overrated. This is why every foreign manager will be hyped and hyped, but the truth is a lot of these managers we know little about, never mind whether they are good enough to take us forward. After Klopp, it's not going to be easy to choose anyone.

"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline bornandbRED

• ... an ESL super fan. aka physioSTALKER
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9724 on: April 22, 2024, 07:39:28 pm »
Edwards was part of the team who pushed for Klopp to manage here.

I mean - it was hardly rocket science. He was the clear choice for any club at the time.

He’s been at the club since 2011, with 0 credentials until Klopp landed in 2015. Now he has the keys - let’s see. It’s always a bit concerning when people start hiring their mates, though.

Offline danm77

• Main Stander
« Reply #9725 on: April 22, 2024, 07:40:06 pm »
I mean he’s the one who broke the news of Amorim flying to London to meet West Ham which turnt out to  be true  so he knows something.

He didn’t, that was Sepulveda.

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9726 on: April 22, 2024, 07:40:10 pm »
David Ornstein @David_Ornstein
·
Jan 30
🚨 Michael Edwards has turned down chance to rejoin Liverpool. Mike Gordon called last weekend to float idea of taking senior role at club or FSG, overseeing #LFC rebuild. But Edwards made clear he will not be coming back @TheAthleticFC aft @FabrizioRomano https://theathletic.com/5238508/2024/01/30/liverpool-michael-edwards-sporting-director-next/

:-X

I mean, he didn't come back to us he joined FSG. They had a whole flirting in the press over this.

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9727 on: April 22, 2024, 07:40:32 pm »
Taking Chelsea out of it then he got a shit team to 9th, finishing 15th and 16th the years before. De Zerbi improved on that instantly. He played attacking football but for all his time could not score goals, was one of the worst at it.

He played nice football and liked playing kids but he hardly set the world on fire.

Could he do better with a good squad like our, who knows. Maybe he can't manage big clubs, deer in headlights kind of way. He hasn't done much to prove he is worthy of the chance though, far from it.

You can say that about almost anyone, it won't stop other managers being over hyped anyway.

Offline stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #9728 on: April 22, 2024, 07:41:39 pm »
I mean he’s the one who broke the news of Amorim flying to London to meet West Ham which turnt out to  be true  so he knows something.

Is it true though? What is the evidence that it is a fact?
#JFT97

Offline crewlove

• Main Stander
« Reply #9729 on: April 22, 2024, 07:42:01 pm »
Ah right so when it suits your opinion things can change? Got it.

His wording was specific, he was not coming back, he got it wrong.

I don't really have a side in that fight and therefore don't care whether it suits my opinion or not. But it isn't weird that somebody would change his decision, especially as it looks like he may have received from FSG more than they initially offered. And he didn't come back to us as he will work at FSG.

Now Ornstein I think broke the news about Amorim and WHU and it looks like he is flying to London soon. You can't make it up.

Offline crewlove

• Main Stander
« Reply #9730 on: April 22, 2024, 07:42:54 pm »
I think you are not likely to be happy with who we get then 😂

I mean PL wise it can only be Thomas Frank but it could be anyone from another league.

We all know it is going to be difficult and I'm really interested who'll we end up with. But likes of Frank would be too much I think.

Offline Thomas

• Doubting
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9731 on: April 22, 2024, 07:43:39 pm »
Gets my vote for a season to open up the away ladder again
We're the kings of Europe, the pride of Merseyside, we'll fight for no surrender, we'll fight for Shankly's pride.

Offline Trump's tiny tiny hands

• Legacy Fan
  • Building steam with a grain of salt
« Reply #9732 on: April 22, 2024, 07:43:44 pm »
Didn’t Amorim say last week he didn’t want any meetings, didn’t want to talk about his future anymore, wanted to focus on winning the league etc etc. then he fucking jets off to London for all to see? Really strange. Whether we want him or not, that is weird behaviour

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9733 on: April 22, 2024, 07:44:11 pm »
You can say that about almost anyone, it won't stop other managers being over hyped anyway.

You could and it's why I tended not to over hype managers, especially the ones we have been linked to in this managerial search.

But I think a lot of them have a lot more to their CV than Potter even from the pool we are currently searching in

Offline meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #9734 on: April 22, 2024, 07:44:26 pm »
Gets my vote for a season to open up the away ladder again

You can say what you like about Roy and Brendan, but at least I could get tickets then.

Online Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9735 on: April 22, 2024, 07:44:42 pm »
Didn’t Amorim say last week he didn’t want any meetings, didn’t want to talk about his future anymore, wanted to focus on winning the league etc etc. then he fucking jets off to London for all to see? Really strange. Whether we want him or not, that is weird behaviour

Screams of we rejected him so he’s showing us what we coulda won,

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9736 on: April 22, 2024, 07:45:10 pm »
Is it true though? What is the evidence that it is a fact?

A photo of him boarding the actual jet and it being tracked to Stansted airport

Offline bornandbRED

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9737 on: April 22, 2024, 07:45:26 pm »

Especially when your team are in a title race. All around weirdness.

Offline meady1981

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #9738 on: April 22, 2024, 07:45:35 pm »
Screams of we rejected him so he’s showing us what we coulda won,

Maybe he’ll end up being injured all next season

Offline stockdam

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9739 on: April 22, 2024, 07:46:07 pm »
A photo of him boarding the actual jet and it being tracked to Stansted airport

And that means he talked to West Ham?
#JFT97

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9740 on: April 22, 2024, 07:46:10 pm »
Especially when your team are in a title race. All around weirdness.

They won the title to be fair

Online Dubred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9741 on: April 22, 2024, 07:47:58 pm »
I know I know........but could Rafa be an option? I know he hasn't done anything of 'note' in recent years and many have written him off as a has been, but his club choices haven't helped him.

Unfinished business here perhaps, unemployed, family still in the area........could it be the left field manager perhaps?

Offline Dazzer23

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9742 on: April 22, 2024, 07:48:20 pm »

It was a West Ham owned jet

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9743 on: April 22, 2024, 07:50:27 pm »

I mean reports come out from a number of journalists that he is talking with West Ham, he is being flown over. Photos show he is being flown over. Chances are he is being flown over to meet with West Ham

Reliable people are saying that and there's photos showing it

Offline stockdam

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9744 on: April 22, 2024, 07:50:28 pm »
I know I know........but could Rafa be an option? I know he hasn't done anything of 'note' in recent years and many have written him off as a has been, but his club choices haven't helped him.

Unfinished business here perhaps, unemployed, family still in the area........could it be the left field manager perhaps?

Highly unlikely. You may as well just throw names in a hat and pick one. I don’t think the majority of fans would see a return of Rafa as being positive. He obviously is very well respected but I wouldn’t want to see him back.
#JFT97

Online Garlic Red

• Kopite
  • Pop n crisp
« Reply #9745 on: April 22, 2024, 07:50:30 pm »
Ah right so when it suits your opinion things can change? Got it.

His wording was specific, he was not coming back, he got it wrong.

Liverpool’s former sporting director had rejected an approach from Mike Gordon, the president of the club’s owners Fenway Sports Group (FSG), shortly after Jurgen Klopp’s announcement on January 26 that he would step down as manager at the end of the season.

Even as recently as a fortnight ago, Edwards was insisting that the prospect of a return to the cut and thrust of club football held no appeal. He was enjoying more family time and the slower pace of life as a consultant for Ludonautics, the sports advisory business launched by Liverpool’s former director of research Ian Graham last year.

But FSG and Gordon refused to admit defeat. They set about putting together an alternative proposal which would pique Edwards’ interest. Six weeks on, Gordon had his man and Edwards had been formally unveiled as FSG’s CEO of football — a position created specifically for him.

That was  reported pretty much as fact by James Pearce.

I think it’s pretty fair to assume that Edwards - or someone incredibly close to Edwards - was briefing the media throughout that entire process. Quite why I’ve no idea but the Sloan conference was seen as pivotal for weeks. I’m not sure you can blame Ornstein for reporting what was probably very accurate at the time. He’s a proper divvy but he’s as accurate as they come outside of Joyce/Hunter etc

Offline johnny74

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9746 on: April 22, 2024, 07:50:38 pm »
Perhaps we want someone with more experience? Not sure who is out there with the experience that we need?
Really tough.

Why would Amorim go to West Ham?

London factor?

He'll have had informal talks with lfc and discussed transfer policies, budgets, structure etc and during those talks both sides may well have realised that there's a mismatch in what either side want. Finding this out he looks at other options eg West Ham.

It sounds like we probably rejected him rather than the other way around because West Ham doesn't seem to offer a particularly great deal.

Another alternative is that from a career perspective going in with West Ham and improving them (having watched Moyes) might seem like more of a banker for him than trying to follow Klopp's footsteps. 

Online eyescream

• ewes'cream
  • Kopite
« Reply #9747 on: April 22, 2024, 07:51:40 pm »

According to Flight radar it's owned by a Portuguese airline - Valair Private Jets.

Offline stockdam

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9748 on: April 22, 2024, 07:52:03 pm »
I mean reports come out from a number of journalists that he is talking with West Ham, he is being flown over. Photos show he is being flown over. Chances are he is being flown over to meet with West Ham

Reliable people are saying that and there's photos showing it

So it’s speculation and not a fact. As far as I am concerned, these journalists are grasping at straws and have no firm evidence.
#JFT97

Offline smutchin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9749 on: April 22, 2024, 07:52:36 pm »
Bit wary of giving Edwards too much power. His role in our success may be overstated by some.

So far it’s been a jobs for the mates fest, hoping that doesn’t continue with the managerial appointment, or I can see things going wayward very quickly.

We’re not actually going to appoint a new manager. Instead, we’ll give the job to the incredible new AI bot that Edwards has been working on in his secret nerd bunker for the last two years. You can’t argue with the algorithms.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9750 on: April 22, 2024, 07:53:46 pm »
So it’s speculation and not a fact. As far as I am concerned, these journalists are grasping at straws and have no firm evidence.

There is no firm evidence he's coming here either.

Offline robertobaggio37

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • But we will conquer the ball, each fucking time.
« Reply #9751 on: April 22, 2024, 07:53:49 pm »
Motta is tactically very interesting but I wouldn’t want him anywhere near the job with his level of experience.

One thing I will say on Frank, as someone who watches a lot of the football league, he turned Ivan Toney from a strong but blunt and basic poacher into one of the best penalty box strikers in Europe. Toney has superb awareness, great feet in tight spaces, is an excellent decision maker and improved his range of finishing massively.

I don’t love Frank as an appointment because of his lack of higher level experience, but if you look at him as a case study of elevating individual player’s beyond their perceived ceiling, he’s quite excellent at it. Jensen, Norgaard, Mee, Toney, Mbeumo, Benrahma, Watkins, Pinnock etc all played the best football of their careers under Frank OR he helped elevate them to a higher level and bigger club.

Good points mate. I'm repeating myself but I really believe it will be either him or Xavi.
The biggest problem anywhere in the world is that people's perceptions of reality are filtered through the screening mesh of what they want, and do not want, to be true.

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9752 on: April 22, 2024, 07:56:18 pm »

If you want to go down that route you can't reliably say we are interested in any manager named nor ruled out any manager, and you don't know what's happening at all.

You can say Amorim took a flight to London too

Despite these journalists getting pretty much every news story about us over the last few years correct, they are reliable sources. If you don't wish to believe them then don't believe anything reported and just think whatever you want may happen.

But they reported what he is doing tonight and he is in fact doing what they reported he would do, so chances are he is doing it to meet with West Ham as they reported.

Offline bornandbRED

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9753 on: April 22, 2024, 07:56:49 pm »
We’re not actually going to appoint a new manager. Instead, we’ll give the job to the incredible new AI bot that Edwards has been working on in his secret nerd bunker for the last two years. You can’t argue with the algorithms.

It’s all a bit mega brain… but let’s see who they come out with I guess.

I’m of the school of thought that the manager is responsible for 90% of the club’s success (apart from players). Everyone else is just backroom staff. And so the prospect of a ‘head coach’ who will be subordinate to Edwards and co is a bit frightening - if we do take that route.

Offline OkieRedman

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9754 on: April 22, 2024, 07:58:11 pm »
It would be madness to appointment someone who has never won a title, right? 

Offline stockdam

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9755 on: April 22, 2024, 07:59:39 pm »
There is no firm evidence he's coming here either.

That’s true and I said above that journalists don’t know.

In fact here’s another bit of speculation:

“Sepulveda claims Amorim is also set to meet Liverpool for talks while he is in London.”

From his Twitter….

“Rúben Amorim is in a private flight right now on his way to London! Meeting with @LFC and @WestHam is scheduled.”

https://twitter.com/pedromsepulveda/status/1782439445829992883?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1782440549225464288%7Ctwgr%5Ed81401339adb04827b833a3fa2599574dc78a59f%7Ctwcon%5Es3_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fanfieldwatch.co.uk%2Fruben-amorim-flies-to-london-for-talks-over-premier-league-move%2F

So according to the source that claimed he was flying to London, Omorim, is also talking to us……..allegedly.

The story changes by the hour.

Who knows what is going on.

« Last Edit: April 22, 2024, 08:03:14 pm by stockdam »
#JFT97

Offline Funkster

• Main Stander
« Reply #9756 on: April 22, 2024, 07:59:46 pm »
It would be madness to appointment someone who has never won a title, right? 

They have, as a player…
"Mind you, I've been here during the bad times too - one year we came second." Bob Paisley

Offline meady1981

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #9757 on: April 22, 2024, 08:01:56 pm »
Haha I’m thinking back to the time when people were saying we shouldn’t go for Alonso because he hasn’t won anything, and now people keep saying the word Potter. What a ride.

Offline Legs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9758 on: April 22, 2024, 08:03:50 pm »
Haha I’m thinking back to the time when people were saying we shouldn’t go for Alonso because he hasn’t won anything, and now people keep saying the word Potter. What a ride.

Potter is a no he is a fit for West Ham.

Mind give Moyes his due he has done a good job at West Ham to be fair.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9759 on: April 22, 2024, 08:04:42 pm »

dildo shaped jet was the clear giveaway