Author Topic: LFC's next manager - chat and informed speculation  (Read 634038 times)

Offline latortuga

• Legacy Fan
Re: LFC's next manager - chat and informed speculation
« Reply #14200 on: May 17, 2024, 07:35:10 am »
To quote John Oliver on Slot...

"I am fighting the instinct of... you're not my real Dad!" :-\

A feeling we will all need to get over at some point, some quicker than others.

Offline hide5seek

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in THE 5 EUROPEAN CUPS
« Reply #14201 on: May 17, 2024, 08:25:52 am »
Other than Bobby Lallana was absolutely our best presser, was ridiculous how good he was at it.

Scored at least one goal from pressing the keeper so hard he fumbled his kick and bounced it off Lallana into the net. Was one of my favorite goals of the Klopp era for how it displayed how deadly the press was.
Rush was the best ever.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14202 on: May 17, 2024, 08:32:51 am »

My Stepdad was a better dad to me than my dad ;)
Jurgen YNWA

Online Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14203 on: May 17, 2024, 09:28:24 am »
the club would be mad to let him bring in too many. Of course, they hope this appointment will work long term, but there is no guarantee. Letting a new coach bring in too many staff is not the best idea. You see it more these days though, didn’t Potter take a ridiculous amount of staff from Brighton to Chelsea?

There was rumours they wanted a club doctor or something too from Feyenoord? But that isn’t happening. And of course Feyenoord aren’t just going to let loads of other staff go easily.  They won’t want to replace a whole team either.

Kloppo only came here with 2 assistants. And that is how it really should be usually!

If we're losing a lot of staff anyway then the new coach bringing in a bunch of people they trust to fill the gaps is a good idea. The alternative is we have to invest a lot of time building a new backroom team, while also undergoing a managerial change, and then hope that everyone can work together.

It does potentially mean kicking the can down the road in that someday we'd like to build a team of our own, but even then there's nothing to stop a manager taking those people when he leaves.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14204 on: May 17, 2024, 09:37:22 am »
I just can't get excited for Slot.

Online Lisan Al Gaib

• Anny Roader
  • Lead them to Paradise
« Reply #14205 on: May 17, 2024, 09:40:38 am »
My Stepdad was a better dad to me than my dad ;)

Paisley was essentially the stepdad to Shankly wasn't he?

Online mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
  • At the End of a Storm there's a Golden Sky.
    • X / Twitter: @TheLiverNerd
« Reply #14206 on: May 17, 2024, 09:42:24 am »

"Believe you are the best, then make sure that you are." - Shankly

X / Twitter: @TheLiverNerd - https://x.com/TheLiverNerd

Offline JP!

• An infinite ocean of joy. May in fact be the reincarnation of the Buddha.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Save us Fowler
    • Cranky Englishman - Yes, that's me.
« Reply #14207 on: May 17, 2024, 09:44:35 am »

I sort of get this because excited isn't a word I'd use about one of our best managers moving on (and the best in my lifetime), but I'm kind of intrigued as to what comes next and it's still Liverpool.  The shock has faded now, Sunday will be sad, but Liverpool FC continues.
I don't agree, he'd go to Legoland. Bye.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14208 on: May 17, 2024, 09:46:01 am »
I sort of get this because excited isn't a word I'd use about one of our best managers moving on (and the best in my lifetime), but I'm kind of intrigued as to what comes next and it's still Liverpool.  The shock has faded now, Sunday will be sad, but Liverpool FC continues.

Yeah definitely and I'm sure once he is in and then we start getting linked with new signings and talking about how he will set up then I'll look forward to the new season all over again.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14209 on: May 17, 2024, 09:46:14 am »
Paisley was essentially the stepdad to Shankly wasn't he?

yeah you could probably say that.

I am and its all because of how the club is ran and what Kloppo has left him. Its not like us when Kenny quit or the Mancs when Fergie quit and it was chaos, the club has knows for years Jurgen was leaving at the latest 2026, but they likely suspected it was earlier, so they'll have been planning his successor for yonks and monitoring managers.

from the few interviews I've seen of Slot, I like him, can't wait to see how it pans out.

If it goes tits, we'll just get Xabi in or get Pep from Salzburg ;)
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Sinyoro

• Give the ball to Bobby and he will scyoro
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #14210 on: May 17, 2024, 10:39:33 am »
In the days of Arrigo Sacchi and Milan, I never thought I would see anything like it again- Guardiola and Klopp came along.

Now, a new generation is rising up and it will be interesting to see who will define this new era.

Can't wait to see what Slot will do.

Offline has gone odd

• a tru-ro...I mean....red!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14211 on: May 17, 2024, 10:47:34 am »
Try as I might, not excited by Slot either. Even before Jurgen's 1st interview at the club there was a buzz, like a real scoop, bigger than any player transfer we had done in years. Not this time, have nothing but empty emotions on this.

Don't get me wrong, we all knew Klopp was going and someone was coming in to replace, like all our once favorite players, plus am really happy to have witnessed this era and enjoyed the ride.

Nothing against Slot either, I just think football in general has reached it's entertaining peak and am pretty sure we will struggle for consistency for another season.

If the players buy into the new philosophy and we witness a new successful era then will eat my words, sure.
- all in my opinion of course -

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #14212 on: May 17, 2024, 10:48:25 am »

Yeah, I’ve seen your posts in the Dating thread.

Offline smutchin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14213 on: May 17, 2024, 11:04:50 am »
Yeah definitely and I'm sure once he is in and then we start getting linked with new signings and talking about how he will set up then I'll look forward to the new season all over again.

It feels particularly hard right now with the reality of Klopp leaving beginning to properly sink in.

I don't think I will feel fully engaged with Slot's Liverpool until I actually see them play a game.

He has nothing but 100% support from me though, and I'm confident he will be good.

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14214 on: May 17, 2024, 11:12:30 am »

I'm not excited either but I think it's because I don't know anything about him or how his teams play.  Klopp was well known and the style he had his teams playing was clear and an exciting style of football.  I honestly don't think I've ever seen Slot's teams play, or if I did, I didn't pay any attention to them so that excitement about what's to come isn't there. 

Offline meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #14215 on: May 17, 2024, 11:16:23 am »
I think you have to look at this as great re-set if you’re going to be able to enjoy it.

Offline demain

• Shambolic
  • Kopite
  • 'à quoi bon ?'
« Reply #14216 on: May 17, 2024, 11:22:51 am »

Me neither, carries with him all the air of a glorified competition winner. I know the market for talented coaches is dry and there aren't any good options out there, let alone the impossible task of finding someone upto replacing the best Liverpool manager since Bob Paisley. That doesn't mean that Slot's not a random choice from a third-class league, and won't be on a hiding to nothing when there's a bad run of results.
'Ever bought a fake picture, Toby?'
'Sold a couple once.'
'The more you pay for it, the less inclined you are to doubt its authenticity.'

Online DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14217 on: May 17, 2024, 11:25:29 am »
Gonna be a grim few years with people desperate for him to fail and get offended with any praise as some sort of disrespect of Jurgen.

Offline bornandbRED

• ... an ESL super fan. aka physioSTALKER
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14218 on: May 17, 2024, 11:25:39 am »
Slot looks like his farts absolutely stink. Whether that’s a good or bad thing - who knows.

Be interesting to hear his first presser.. that will set the tone and hopefully build some anticipation/excitement.

Offline TheMan

• Main Stander
« Reply #14219 on: May 17, 2024, 11:26:54 am »
any theories on when he will be announced?

Offline smutchin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14220 on: May 17, 2024, 11:39:28 am »
any theories on when he will be announced?

Plenty  ;)

Offline Clint Eastwood

• The man with no name
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14221 on: May 17, 2024, 12:44:29 pm »
I think the only person who could have got us excited after Klopp would have been Alonso, and he’s a special case because he’s a former player. Name any other manager in Europe right now and they would feel underwhelming following on from Jurgen.

I was reasonably vocal about my disappointment in the (pending) appointment of Slot when it came to light, but I’ve warmed to him now. I have my reservations over his style of play and relative inexperience, but he’s done a great job at Feyenoord. Not just winning the league and bettering their points tally this year, but in improving the whole culture of the club. Something you only see the special managers do, and what Jürgen has done here. He also seems like a really good character, easy to like, and talks well. Finally - I like the structure we are building around him and I have faith that we have some great minds involved in calling the shots at the moment.

Like others have said, I’m intrigued by it all.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #14222 on: May 17, 2024, 01:07:13 pm »
Hopefully Slot is more what we hoped to be getting when Rodgers came in. He's inheriting a better situation and structure but obviously replacing Klopp is very tough. He's also got the issue Rodgers had of ledgends with fading legs. Henderson going a good headstart on that along with Thiago now.

The late season collapse (and last seasons shitshow) should give him a bit more leeway. We've looked a flawed team this season and Klopp has really pushed to the limit what we could achieve with it.

We need to make the right moves in the summer. Too often we haven't.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline TheMan

• Main Stander
« Reply #14223 on: May 17, 2024, 01:15:03 pm »
Slot won't have much input on transfers, he is essentially a head coach and a Ljinders replacement, it's the likes of Edwards and Hughes as much as Slot that will impact on our success in the near-term

Offline kaesarsosei

• Brutally bad.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14224 on: May 17, 2024, 01:18:50 pm »
How many managers actually give good pressers or interviews? Klopp, Mourinho for sure but Guardiola's are all shite. The new generation of managers are much more in that mold.

Offline Sharado

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14225 on: May 17, 2024, 01:32:04 pm »

I know what you mean but in some ways - for me at least - I think that helps. I have zero expectations on next season, feel like anything could happen to be honest from 1st to 16th. It's ground zero stuff again.
Football, like life, isn't about getting what you want or even deserve. It's about appreciating what you have.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #14226 on: May 17, 2024, 01:37:48 pm »
How many managers actually give good pressers or interviews? Klopp, Mourinho for sure but Guardiola's are all shite. The new generation of managers are much more in that mold.
I couldn't care less about stuff like that, but these days people expect managers to be all singing and dancing. For me, he can be as dour as a wet weekend in Skegness, so long as he does the business for us.

Klopp was different. The full humanistic package. A one-off. Once he's walked into the sunset all I care about is the new man being a damn good coach/manager.

I know nothing about him. All I've seen of his Feyenoord side was the goals when they beat Ajax 5-0, and that was only because I like Ajax and watched to see how they could be so bad these days. I'm really interested to see how he goes here though.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2024, 01:42:36 pm by Son of Spion »
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #14227 on: May 17, 2024, 01:46:24 pm »

Ange's post Spurs vs City post-match press conference was pretty epic.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14228 on: May 17, 2024, 01:50:21 pm »
I know what you mean but in some ways - for me at least - I think that helps. I have zero expectations on next season, feel like anything could happen to be honest from 1st to 16th. It's ground zero stuff again.

Imagine if it were 16th!

Offline Sinyoro

• Give the ball to Bobby and he will scyoro
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14229 on: May 17, 2024, 01:53:40 pm »
Slot will surprise some people here- he is a brilliant manager

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #14230 on: May 17, 2024, 02:46:35 pm »
Just think of what Slot is inheriting.
The club have a brand new training ground, probably as good a facility as anywhere in Europe.
The club has uprgraded the stadium significantly in recent years.
So 2 massive money drains already sorted, and nothing he’ll have to contend with during his time here.
A squad with a strong core of established players, however people like to downplay some of them! And a group of very talented young players already in the first team, or on the edges.

Whereas Klopp took over a club that needed a mental rebuild as well as a physical one, Slot takes over a club that is in a good place, and just needs a few tweeks.

The biggest questions in the summer I suspect will be contract talks and will they / won’t they stay for 2 or 3 players.

But otherwise he should be able to hit the ground running.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14231 on: May 17, 2024, 02:49:18 pm »
Agree with DN, Slot will not need to do a massive rebuild that Kloppo did.  Tweaks here and there and instill his game into the squad and we're good to go.

He's not Klopp, then there's very few who can hold a candle to him. Either accept that or be misreable.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #14232 on: May 17, 2024, 02:49:42 pm »
Hopefully Slot is more what we hoped to be getting when Rodgers came in. He's inheriting a better situation and structure but obviously replacing Klopp is very tough. He's also got the issue Rodgers had of ledgends with fading legs. Henderson going a good headstart on that along with Thiago

Unlike when Rodgers joined the DoF system is entrenched in the club's ethos. Slot won't have the power Klopp had, nor will the idea be new enough that he can push back like Rodgers tried. Hughes/Edwards and co. are going to be guided by data, and I don't expect a repeat of what happened with Henderson. I think we'd see more situations in which older players are moved on when the club feels it's time (similar to Wijnaldum being allowed to leave)

Offline Sharado

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14233 on: May 17, 2024, 02:56:26 pm »
Unlike when Rodgers joined the DoF system is entrenched in the club's ethos. Slot won't have the power Klopp had, nor will the idea be new enough that he can push back like Rodgers tried. Hughes/Edwards and co. are going to be guided by data, and I don't expect a repeat of what happened with Henderson. I think we'd see more situations in which older players are moved on when the club feels it's time (similar to Wijnaldum being allowed to leave)

100%. I'd probably argue the Toss that we are likely to become - initially at least - more like Michael Edwards' club than Arne Slot's.
Football, like life, isn't about getting what you want or even deserve. It's about appreciating what you have.

Offline mattD

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14234 on: May 17, 2024, 03:13:32 pm »

That's it. Even unconsciously, the best of us will be comparing him to Klopp.

Even if he does better than this year, he's still got to build that cult of personality. I hope he can devote himself to the fans and culture of the club, and do it in his own special way. If he does, and shows sincere efforts in that regard, he will get the unequivocal backing of the crowd no doubt.

Offline 9 kemlyn road

• Main Stander
« Reply #14235 on: May 17, 2024, 03:14:14 pm »
Me neither, carries with him all the air of a glorified competition winner. I know the market for talented coaches is dry and there aren't any good options out there, let alone the impossible task of finding someone upto replacing the best Liverpool manager since Bob Paisley. That doesn't mean that Slot's not a random choice from a third-class league, and won't be on a hiding to nothing when there's a bad run of results.
And bob paisley had the unenviable task of replacing the biggest anfield legend of all .it was a case of ..Bob who? ..as most of didn’t know anything about him.the general feeling was he was just going to keep the seat warm until we got a big name in .Bob didn’t even want the job but it didn’t turn out too badly ! .
Arne slot is now,50 years later replacing another huge legend in our history,an unenviable task and again everyone,my self included is saying,never heard of him ,know nothing about him .well let’s hope history repeats itself and if he does half of what bob achieved in the same amount of time then I think we’ll all be happy.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14236 on: May 17, 2024, 04:09:26 pm »
Feyenoord have confirmed Slot's depature.

https://x.com/Feyenoord/status/1791457718642831841

The Arne Slot era is coming to an end...

Let's enjoy the last moments

Offline wah00ey

• Gappy Gumbo, especially at the back.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Stay away from Twitter, it's no good for anyone.
Look up "Odious" in the dictionary and Martin Samuel is the given definition.  Call me Klopphooey please.

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #14238 on: May 17, 2024, 04:15:04 pm »
I'm sure the club would have liked to have kept that for next week, but it is what it is.

Hope he goes on to be talked about in the same breath as the greats. If he is hungry and ambitious, there's a great opportunity for him here.

I'm definitely excited for something different/change now it's all confirmed but I just want to get this weekend done with, mentally check out for a few weeks and then be right back into the excitement a new season brings.

Offline lfc_col

• Legacy Fan
  • And Could He Play!
« Reply #14239 on: May 17, 2024, 04:18:00 pm »
Gonna be a grim few years with people desperate for him to fail and get offended with any praise as some sort of disrespect of Jurgen.

Thats already started give the guy a chance ffs  :o ::)
We Won It Six Times

JFT 97