Author Topic: 10/10 Goal Of The Season contenders 87/88 - were you at any?  (Read 2380 times)

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: 10/10 Goal Of The Season contenders 87/88 - were you at any?
« Reply #40 on: September 2, 2023, 01:17:35 pm »
^ ha ha love it  ;D

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
« Reply #41 on: September 2, 2023, 01:18:10 pm »
That Spurs game ^^^ was VERY busy outside. Got there extra early and the back of the Kop queues were all the way down the length of the Kemlyn and round next to the away turnstiles. Got in but it wasn’t looking promising for a while.

Offline Bobsackamano

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #42 on: September 2, 2023, 01:42:12 pm »
That Spurs game ^^^ was VERY busy outside. Got there extra early and the back of the Kop queues were all the way down the length of the Kemlyn and round next to the away turnstiles. Got in but it wasn’t looking promising for a while.

Yeah it was nuts, I was there hours beforehand but it became evident there was no chance hence darting round the away end. The stewards and police were questioning everyone attempting to go in about where they were from as so many were running round from the Kop and loads were getting turned away. I remember trying to think of a place name to say where I was from that wasn't just London. All I could come up with was the name "I'm from Shepperton mate" which was a famous film studio down south, thankfully it was obscure enough to work.

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
« Reply #43 on: September 2, 2023, 01:46:34 pm »
Yeah it was nuts, I was there hours beforehand but it became evident there was no chance hence darting round the away end. The stewards and police were questioning everyone attempting to go in about where they were from as so many were running round from the Kop and loads were getting turned away. I remember trying to think of a place name to say where I was from that wasn't just London. All I could come up with was the name "I'm from Shepperton mate" which was a famous film studio down south, thankfully it was obscure enough to work.
;D smart thinking. Bet you didn’t throw in a cor blimey guvnor either!

Offline Bobsackamano

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: September 2, 2023, 01:55:03 pm »
;D smart thinking. Bet you didn’t throw in a cor blimey guvnor either!

😁 Nah kept it simple, there were a couple of older Spurs fellas behind me in the queue laughing at my ridiculous accent though.

Offline Barrow Shaun

• Legacy Fan
  • Off the coach, through the park.....
« Reply #45 on: September 2, 2023, 02:50:12 pm »
.....this bigger older lad said to me in a cockney accent "you're Scouse aren't you" I was shitting it a bit but said yeah. He then smiled, changed accents and whispered in my ear "so am I lad, stick with me". Quite a large group of us formed near the front of the terrace and the police cottened on so eventually they pulled us all out and walked us round to the Kop. Think it's the only time I've ever touched the hallowed Anfield turf and then watched us lift the League, fucking golden days.

Absolutely fucking brilliant. Love it.
officially accepted RAWK source of information

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #46 on: September 4, 2023, 11:28:10 am »
Was there for the home games so saw most of the goals.

John Barnes was unreal this season. 17 goals from left midfield was incredible but probably only part of the impact he had. 18 assists in the season also. Was 15 goals and 15 assists in 38 league games.

Barnes wasn’t just an attacking winger who was devoid of defensive responsibility. He was also a really hard working midfielder. Helped his full back a lot. In a great team I think left back was the weakest position and Barnes was a massive help at times. The FA Cup semi final in 88 was a masterclass. Tore Steve Chettle to shreds and set up both goals. Barnes was also brilliant in helping Ablett cope with Crosby that day. Almost the complete performance from Barnes.

Still think Barnes 87-88 was the best individual season I’ve seen from a Liverpool player. In a left forward position in 4-3-3 in modern football I think Barnes could be getting +25 goals and +25 assists a season.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline Wingman

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: September 4, 2023, 08:30:28 pm »
Was there for the home games so saw most of the goals.

John Barnes was unreal this season. 17 goals from left midfield was incredible but probably only part of the impact he had. 18 assists in the season also. Was 15 goals and 15 assists in 38 league games.

Barnes wasn’t just an attacking winger who was devoid of defensive responsibility. He was also a really hard working midfielder. Helped his full back a lot. In a great team I think left back was the weakest position and Barnes was a massive help at times. The FA Cup semi final in 88 was a masterclass. Tore Steve Chettle to shreds and set up both goals. Barnes was also brilliant in helping Ablett cope with Crosby that day. Almost the complete performance from Barnes.

Still think Barnes 87-88 was the best individual season I’ve seen from a Liverpool player. In a left forward position in 4-3-3 in modern football I think Barnes could be getting +25 goals and +25 assists a season.

Yep, seen some fantastic performances over the years

Dalglish 82-83
Rush 83-84
Gerrard 05-06
Suarez 13-14
Salah 17-18

But Barnes 87-88 wins it for me too

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #48 on: September 4, 2023, 08:53:01 pm »
Yep, seen some fantastic performances over the years
Barnes 87-88
Gerrard 05-06
Suarez 13-14
Salah 17-18

But Barnes 87-88 wins it for me too

I’m too young for the Dalglish and Rush seasons but those 4 you listed above are the best 4 individual seasons I can remember.

The only others I think that would get close is Gerrard 03/04, VvD 2018/19 and Torres 07/08.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.