Author Topic: Enid Blyton's The Famous Five, by Nicolas Winding Refn  (Read 529 times)

Online Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Enid Blyton's The Famous Five, by Nicolas Winding Refn
« on: June 26, 2023, 03:53:36 pm »
https://www.theguardian.com/film/2023/jun/26/nicolas-winding-refn-to-reinterpret-enid-blytons-famous-five-for-the-bbc
Nicolas Winding Refn, the maverick Danish director known for his dramatically stylish and visceral way with sex and violence, is to adapt Enid Blyton’s Famous Five books for the BBC.

Refn, whose films include Drive, Only God Forgives, the Pusher trilogy, a biopic of Charles Bronson and The Neon Demon, a blackly comic look at necrophilia in LA’s fashion world, will act as creator and executive producer on the mini-series, which has begun shooting in the south-west.

It is unclear which of Blyton’s 21 books will form the basis for the three 90-minute episodes. The Famous Five books, about siblings Julian, Dick and Anne and their attempts to thwart assorted kidnappers, thieves and smugglers around the Cornish coast with their cousin, George, and her dog, Timmy, were written between 1942 and 1962.

I didn't think anything could make me interested in an adaptation of The Famous Five, but seeing Winding Refn's name next to it has gt me curious. Whatever he produces will make almost everyone angry, which is fine with me. Some other choice quotes from the piece:

Patricia Hidalgo, director of BBC children’s and education, said: “Bringing these books to life with a new reimagining of the Famous Five is a real treat for BBC audiences and a celebration of British heritage. These stories are loved around the world and bringing families together is a key part of our strategy so we hope it introduces a new generation of viewers to these wonderful adventures.”
He also has prior form with staples of British Sunday night drama serials, directing Geraldine McEwan in two episodes of Miss Marple in 2007. One episode, Nemesis, took some liberties with Agatha Christie’s original text, dropping plots, skewing motives and conflating two characters into a serial-killing lesbian nun.

LOL. Also, let us not forget Winding Refn directed probably the funniest NSFW scene in modern cinema, with every musical cue and facial reaction enhancing it. I don't think I stopped laughing throughout this entire scene when I saw it in the cinema:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/H--z1M-524E" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/H--z1M-524E</a>

Offline Trump's tiny tiny hands

• Legacy Fan
  • Building steam with a grain of salt
Re: Enid Blyton's The Famous Five, by Nicolas Winding Refn
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2023, 05:33:08 pm »
Better be an episode where Fanny Kirrin bakes hashcaroons and they lash them down with ginger beer. Ginger beer laced with MDMA.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2023, 09:17:31 pm »
I think this could be good - think he'd make a good gun for hire

Did anyone watch Copenhagen Cowboy - is it any good? (for someone who likes the Pushers and Drive and hated Only God Forgives and Valhalla Rising)

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2023, 09:49:07 am »
I think this could be good - think he'd make a good gun for hire

Did anyone watch Copenhagen Cowboy - is it any good? (for someone who likes the Pushers and Drive and hated Only God Forgives and Valhalla Rising)

Copenhagen Cowboy is much closer to Only God Forgives and Valhalla Rising, especially the former.  I really liked it but then I'm one of the few that loved Only God Forgives and Too Old To Die.

Offline Tobelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2023, 06:43:07 pm »
Better be an episode where Fanny Kirrin bakes hashcaroons and they lash them down with ginger beer. Ginger beer laced with MDMA.

;D Interesting choice of a director indeed.
Been 40 years or so since i last read the books but yeah remember there was a lot of eating going on and it sounded delicious to my young self.