Author Topic: Liverpool V Fulham, Wednesday May 3, 20:00h  (Read 7154 times)

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Liverpool V Fulham, Wednesday May 3, 20:00h
« on: May 2, 2023, 11:05:23 am »
Liverpool V Fulham, Wednesday May 3, 20:00h, Anfield

Referee: Stuart Attwell.
Assistants: Darren Cann, Nick Hopton. Fourth official: Darren England.
VAR: Tony Harrington. Assistant VAR: Dan Cook.

We're all still sobering up from madness of that game against Tottenham, yet our next match is already here. They do come thick and fast, which I think is actually better for us. Less dwelling on seemingly infinite ways we manage to make things difficult for ourselves and more simply riding the high of last minute victory. It's fine, we won, move on to the next one. And next up is Fulham. How on Earth will we manage to make this one crazy? Here are some possible and very likely scenarios. Feel free to share yours as well.

Operation Big Head
Game starts with a controversial Fulham goal from a corner kick. Ball bounces to their player on the line who smacks in hard againt the post and it rebounds in a weird high arc. Their defender face palms himself in disbelief and while his hand is on his forehead the ball bounces off his hand into the goal. Referee sees nothing wrong with it and gives a goal. No VAR check. Marco Silva celebrates by running along the touchline, tripping himself and accidentally headbutting Jurgen Klopp. Klopp is given a yellow card. From here things unravel. Fulham are on top and manage to score again from a counter just before halftime. Two goals down, Liverpool put all their cards in attack and pin Fulham in their box throughout the second half. But still no goals. Pressure is relentless but in vain. In 85th minute we get a counter, Mo Salah is through on goal and is dragged from behind by a scrambling defender. He's brough down to the ground on the edge of the box. VAR reviews the incident, decides not to give a penatly or a red card. We scuffle the free kick, Salah gets a direct red card for protests and the game fizzles out.

Operation Unlikely
Dominant start from Liverpool and Fulham are under serious pressure. Jota wriggles his way past the defence on the edge of the box, find Salah with a backheel and Mo is handled by Fulham defender in the box. Without a VAR check a penalty is given and a red card for Fulham defender. Referee evn ruffles Mo's hair and pinches his cheek. Pundits say it was a clear penalty and Salah is a good person. Liverpool continue to dominate. Half hour in, Henderson gets an injury and is replaced by Keita. Naby grabs the game by the scruff of the neck and creates two more goals for Liverpool. In 80th minute a rebounded shot falls to Keita 20m out and he whips an outside boot volley shot band in the top corner.

Operation Beach
A nervy start by Liverpool is compounded by a series of near misses. It looks like the game is hanging in the balance and one goal will decide it. Some Fulham supporters came to the game determined to protest the 'on the beach mentality' of their players. Just before half time they inflate several beach balls and toss them on the pitch just in time for one of them to deflect a weak shot and put it past Alisson. VAR checks but a goal stands. Dermot Gallagher days later claims that it was the right call because 'with summer approaching, all teams should be prepared for the influx of beach balls in our daily lives'. BBC runs with headline article 'Why Liverpool have learned nothing since 2009'.

I think those are all very reasonable scenarios, but some may disagree with some minor details of it.

Fulham eh? Quick look at their table position suggests it's a team that is the definition of the 'on the beach' cliche. It would be tempting to look at them and expect a quick rollover victory. If only it was that easy. In reality they gave a good performance against Manchester City just days ago and though riddled with injuries and suspensions - are very much up for a fight. This Fulham team will line up with lot of players very much fighting for their place in the team, eager to prove they can deliver and be an important part of next campaign. So we should very much be hopeful of getting a good result - but also expect a solid performance from Fulham. They are missing a few important players, Kurzawa, Pereira, Ream are injured and Mitrović is still serving his suspension because he's a player and not a referee. Harry Wilson might start and look to prove a point in his first performance back at Anfield. I would certainly keep an eye on him if he does.

Boys in red will probably line up pretty close to what we've seen recently. Perhaps Hendo will start, in fact I expect him to. Maybe Matip for Konate, just to keep them both fresh and playing in high tempo. Attack though, I think it's Jota, Gakpo and Mo. Diaz is not starting two in a row and Nunez is an impact sub until he isn't. We have enough firepower to win this in any case, so let's do it.

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
Re: Liverpool V Fulham, Wednesday May 3, 20:00h
« Reply #1 on: May 2, 2023, 12:18:56 pm »
Another win hopefully to keep us on track for Europa League football next season. Think this is our game in hand over Spurs and Villa, we're ahead of both on points so if we win this I'd be surprised if they clawed themselves back above us given we're in decent enough form and have favourable fixtures. Fulham have had a decent season and can play with a bit of freedom as they did against City, but we should have too much for them in attack where we're looking strong right now. Expecting some rotation ahead of a Saturday evening game, can see something like ...

Alisson
Trent   Matip   VVD   Tsimikas
Fabinho   Hendo   Thiago
Salah   Gakpo   Jota

Don't think Diaz will start three in a week so I reckon he'll get picked for the Brentford game. Would really like to see Nunez start this one and get 90 minutes, though. Fucking come on Liverpool, should beat these.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline RogerTheRed

• Danke Juergen
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • There's a golden sky on the way
« Reply #2 on: May 2, 2023, 01:42:10 pm »
Come on Redmen!!
Thanks for the op Zlen, hope the scenario we get is a steady, composed 90 minutes of high counter pressing and slick passing with sharp finishes from the Reds!!
Think we will start with Gakpo, Jota and Mo up front. Jones, Henderson and Elliott or Thiago in midfield.
Come On You Mighty Scouse Reds!!

Offline Legs

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3 on: May 2, 2023, 01:46:13 pm »
Come on Redmen!!
Thanks for the op Zlen, hope the scenario we get is a steady, composed 90 minutes of high counter pressing and slick passing with sharp finishes from the Reds!!
Think we will start with Gakpo, Jota and Mo up front. Jones, Henderson and Elliott or Thiago in midfield.

Jota is a doubt so id guess Darwin plays left

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #4 on: May 2, 2023, 01:47:20 pm »
Jota is a doubt so id guess Darwin plays left

Jota is a doubt?

Offline Zimagic

• Legacy Fan
  • Liar, liar with your drawers on fire......
« Reply #5 on: May 2, 2023, 01:49:29 pm »
Jota is a doubt?

Ongoing investigation for dangerous play, right?
"Truth, Justice, Freedom, Reasonably-Priced Love and a Hard-Boiled Egg!"

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: May 2, 2023, 01:50:50 pm »

The ref dealt with it on field, VAR looked into it and didn't change it to red. So what investigation is there?

Have they actually started an investigation?

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: May 2, 2023, 01:57:49 pm »

Is there such a thing?

Offline A Red Abroad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We had dreams and songs to sing
« Reply #8 on: May 2, 2023, 02:05:35 pm »
Jürgen's presser... talks about Tierney...

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/uXy4PyE-QOI" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/uXy4PyE-QOI</a>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXy4PyE-QOI
My marmoset, to get things done,
You fell in Loch Ness with Major Tom.

Offline A Red Abroad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: May 2, 2023, 02:08:07 pm »
Thanks for the OP Zien. :)

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: May 2, 2023, 02:33:05 pm »
Sounds like Jota won't start so I'd go with Diaz Gakpo and Mo. I'd being Matip in for Konate who has continued to look shaky at times. Curtis, Hendo and Thiago midfield.
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: May 2, 2023, 02:33:42 pm »
Sounds like Jota won't start so I'd go with Diaz Gakpo and Mo. I'd being Matip in for Konate who has continued to look shaky at times. Curtis, Hendo and Thiago midfield.

Did Klopp say that?

Offline Zimagic

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: May 2, 2023, 02:35:59 pm »
The ref dealt with it on field, VAR looked into it and didn't change it to red. So what investigation is there?

Have they actually started an investigation?
Is there such a thing?

Sorry lads, I was just messing about. I've no idea why he's a doubt.

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: May 2, 2023, 02:37:29 pm »
Sorry lads, I was just messing about. I've no idea why he's a doubt.

Fair enough, just this was the first i'd heard that Jota was a doubt, so just trying to figure out why.

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: May 2, 2023, 02:38:03 pm »
Did Klopp say that?

Well he's recovering according to Klopp and it doesn't make much sense to start him when we have Diaz and Nunez. We don't want to risk any further damage.
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: May 2, 2023, 02:39:07 pm »
Well he's recovering according to Klopp and it doesn't make much sense to start him when we have Diaz and Nunez. We don't want to risk any further damage.

Didn't realize he had injured himself. Thanks.

Offline Phineus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: May 2, 2023, 02:39:30 pm »
Did Klopp say that?

He said he didn’t train between West Ham and spurs game due to back injury he got against West Ham and is a doubt again for this one.

Doesn’t seem like he’s trained again, hopefully be on bench though.

Online DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: May 2, 2023, 02:41:22 pm »
Win our 2 home games this week and it'll probably wrap up Europa. Brighton have brutal fixtures and we are above the other 2 with a game in hand. Pretty good going considering the mess we were in at the start of April. Get it done!!!

Offline Legs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: May 2, 2023, 02:44:01 pm »
Jota is a doubt?

Yeah that is what Klopp said

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • i neither know nor care
« Reply #19 on: May 2, 2023, 02:51:14 pm »
thanks for the OP zlen

i can't see anything but a win for us here

we're on a good run - they're hit and miss

confident of 3 points  :scarf
Quote from: Lee1-6Liv
Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: May 2, 2023, 03:29:02 pm »
Taking the kids to this one too, spoilt fuckers getting 2 games in 3 days, hopefully not such a chaotic game...
Jurgen YNWA

Online Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: May 2, 2023, 04:09:41 pm »
Taking the kids to this one too, spoilt fuckers getting 2 games in 3 days, hopefully not such a chaotic game...

;D

Good father you are.

Offline Zimagic

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: May 2, 2023, 04:11:39 pm »
We should have walked this game in the away. Hit the post, hit the bar, had one cleared off the line and some real desperate saves to keep them in it and we still had to come back to scrape a draw because Mitrovic "gave the ref a decision to make" with one of the most clear and obvious dives you'll see all season.

Generally impressed that Fulham are safe in mid-table with their squad. That said, I really, really want us to hammer these. Like the first 15 Vs Spurs but for 90 minutes, so like 18-0 or similiar? That'll do pig!

Offline Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: May 2, 2023, 04:33:50 pm »
Quote from: Lone Star Red
Looking at Fulham's main message board, and a lot of posters trotting out predicted starting XI's that include such relegation stalwarts like Kebano, Ream, Cairney, Reed, Decordova-Reid, etc.

This could be a mauling.

Fulham's hierarchy apparently never learn and unless something drastically changes over the coming few weeks, Fulham are going straight back down to the Championship without any semblance of a fight.

My post in the pre-match thread when we played Fulham in August. Think I'm better off just not making a prediction this time around.  ;D

Silva's work at Fulham has gone a little under the radar IMO, especially with them staying comfortably mid-table all while getting absolutely nothing out of Mitrovic (one goal since the World Cup).
You cannot call overseas Liverpool supporters glory hunters. We’ve won one trophy this decade. If they’re glory hunters, they’re really bad ones. They’re actually journey hunters. It’s the journey and the story. Something about Liverpool has grabbed them." - Neil Atkinson (May, 2019)

"So don’t think about it – just play football.” - Jurgen Klopp

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #24 on: May 2, 2023, 04:34:10 pm »
Wait is this not on telly?  FFS.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline shank94

• Currently at minus 10 and falling...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: May 2, 2023, 06:56:41 pm »
Wait is this not on telly?  FFS.

Does this mean streams won't be available?
Everyone knows it's Shanks, Shank is part of my name.

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: May 2, 2023, 06:57:37 pm »
;D

Good father you are.

Skint is what I am ;D
Jurgen YNWA

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: May 2, 2023, 06:58:08 pm »
Does this mean streams won't be available?

Every PL game usually gets shown abroad so there will be streams I'd have thought
« Last Edit: May 2, 2023, 07:00:47 pm by rob1966 »
Jurgen YNWA

Offline A Red Abroad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Offline stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #29 on: May 2, 2023, 07:06:33 pm »
Thanks for the post Zlen. I’m off to Spain tomorrow and will hopefully catch the 2nd half.

This is a match that we should win as long as we don’t play like we did in the 2nd half against Spurs.

Keep the concentration levels up and our forwards should win us the match.
#JFT97

Offline A Red Abroad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: May 2, 2023, 07:09:59 pm »
Thanks for the post Zlen. I’m off to Spain tomorrow and will hopefully catch the 2nd half.

This is a match that we should win as long as we don’t play like we did in the 2nd half against Spurs.

Keep the concentration levels up and our forwards should win us the match.

Safe travels mate. :)

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #31 on: May 2, 2023, 07:11:42 pm »
Ground should be well behind the manager tomorrow/Saturday/Villa, as always like
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #32 on: May 2, 2023, 07:23:30 pm »
Is it true that the 4th official is being issued with a protective suit?
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: May 2, 2023, 07:30:54 pm »
Is it true that the 4th official is being issued with a protective suit?

Yep, and Referee's Assistant's are going to be wearing elbow pads, which is considerate of them.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline darragh85

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: May 2, 2023, 08:34:14 pm »
A win here and we are 3 points behind united. They have games in hand but might make them feel us there.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: May 2, 2023, 08:59:07 pm »
A win here and we are 3 points behind united. They have games in hand but might make them feel us there.

4 pts.

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #36 on: May 2, 2023, 09:57:24 pm »
Keep a clean sheet, score a few goals for fun, Happy Days.
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline Too early for flapjacks?

• It is? Hmm. How about a Groundhog steak? No? Damn. Thinks James Milner has the perfect body.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: May 2, 2023, 10:22:14 pm »
Can't see Diaz starting twice in 4 days and going by Klopp's comments in the press conference wouldn't be surprised if Jota is only fit enough for the bench. So might see Nunez on the left. Expect Matip comes in for Konate and Henderson for Elliott. Quick turnaround for this one but the same for Fulham who have lost key players in Ream and Pereira. Think Klopp might be tempted to change a couple more especially with Brentford on Saturday being another quick turnaround plus them not having a game midweek.

Offline andy07

• Shat himself
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: May 2, 2023, 10:23:44 pm »
Win and it will be five wins on the trot, back to proper form.  Strengthens our grip on 5th and if Brighton beat United you never know!
We are Loyal Supporters

Offline A Red Abroad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: May 2, 2023, 11:37:44 pm »
Post-embargo presser...

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/yOAl1FREFO0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/yOAl1FREFO0</a>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOAl1FREFO0