Author Topic: PL: Liverpool 3 v Nottingham Forest 2 Jota 47&55, Mo 70, Williams 50', Gibney 70  (Read 16820 times)

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
Liverpool v Nottingham Forest, Saturday, 22 April 2023, 15h, Anfield

Referee: Michael Oliver. Assistants: Stuart Burt, Dan Cook. Fourth official: Anthony Taylor. VAR: Paul Tierney. Assistant VAR: Derek Eaton.

What to say? Home game against a drowning team on a terrible run of form. We seem to be picking up a fistful of steam, playing some angry football and have finally decided to score away goals against sinking teams. So ahead of this game, the biggest question I have is: Can we use this match to further lift the team spirits, get even more synced and better prepared for upcoming matches. Not to be disrespectful of Forest, I'm certain they'll have their plans and will desperately want to put much needed points on the board. But not this time I think, not at Anfield. No pasarán!

So let's look briefly at where we stand ahead of this game.

Out of many great aspects to the win against Leeds, having Jota score (twice mind you) was my favourite. He needed that, we needed that and I see no reason now why he couldn't go on a nice little scoring streak in remaining games. All of a sudden, with Diaz back, Gakpo growing in stature, Nunez and Mo contributing consistently - we look incredibly potent in attack. Not only can we put out a dangerous front line, but we can maintain the intensity and offer new problems to the defenders by introducing some pretty dangerous and varied options from the bench. Here's hoping they stay fit for the rest of the season, because this part of otherwise bad campaign, could possibly serve us really well for next year. We have the chance to properly develop chemistry in this new attack, experiement a bit with positions and line things up. Also, should we get a bit lucky and close the gap to Top 4 - not a bad thing to have the attack on fire.

What's with media comparing Trent to De Bruyne? Yeah I know - stats. But is it that hard to offer some kind of a balanced view when it comes to him? He's either a defending disaster or the best playmaker in the league (often both). Few, carefully managed dips into midfield and off they go - hype in overdrive, painting pictures of future that will never actually come to pass. The much maligned midfield will not be saved by Trent, as demonstrated by him actually still playing as right back for all intents and purposes. But it does offer a creative solution to some issues we have faced this year. His roaming, puts the opposition almost constantly in two minds as to where to go, who to cover and what to focus on. He's a permanent overload wherever he goes and is well equipped with skills to take advantage of unfolding chaos (as that wonderful goal he sets up for Nunez shows).

But that aside - I would say that it's not Trent, but actually Jones that has been the catalyst of this moderate upturn in midfield form. Yes, he isn't the most defensively astute player, but Curtis is still a proper midfielder, armed with good ball control and vision. He keeps it flowing and can greatly contribute up the pitch, by moving the ball decisively in dangerous areas. Also both Henderson and Fabinho have been, if not great, certainly better. It's all getting there it seems, as long as they stay fit, and with mostly one game a week, no reason why we can't keep up the pressing and running levels.

Defense though, I'd say they are possibly our most in-form line, however they are also carrying the biggest burden. Especially with the Trent experiment converting Konate into one-man defence. We're asking a lot out of them these days, and for the most part, they do deliver. As long as there is enough energy in midfield, I'm relatively comfortable we'll be solid in defence.

Going through all that, things to seem better, even good. Strange what few injuries less and a slightly less congested schedule can do. Season is obviously a write-off in many ways, but it can still offer a great foundation for next year and Forest may just be ideal opposition to build on that. Their form is terrible, they concede a lot and don't really score all that much. They also have some important players like Wood, Kouyate and Henderson out injured, which makes them even more vulnerable. I don't know, don't want to jinx it, but we should really not only win, but win well here. Saying that, any three points will do me just fine. But it would be great to have one of those nice, dominant spring games, where grass is green, Liverpool red and goals are like wine.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2023, 05:36:45 pm by jillc »
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: PL: Liverpool v Nottingham Forest
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2023, 02:10:14 pm »

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2023, 02:37:46 pm »
« Last Edit: April 22, 2023, 02:39:24 pm by jillc »

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2023, 03:00:22 pm »
Today's commies:

jillc
duvva
me

PMs to commies who are not doing their live slot. Cheers. Don't post in player threads. You know why.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2023, 03:00:38 pm »
0 Games begins with Forest attacking the Anfield Road end.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2023, 03:01:36 pm »
1 Forest get an early free kick, but we manage to get it away easily enough.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2023, 03:03:28 pm »
3 We are working our way into the game now, plenty of early possession without challenging the Forest goal. We look very fluid over all as we attempt to find the weaknesses.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2023, 03:04:13 pm »
"Sign on" gets its third airing in as many minutes, this from the meffs from the post-Brexit industrial heartland that is Nottingham. FFS.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2023, 03:04:57 pm »
4 Looks like we are going to have to be patient. We had a slight opening but Forest working really hard to close down our spaces and Fab after an early hope is forced to pass back.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2023, 03:06:03 pm »
5 Our first genuine attack which opened on the left and then was crossed over to the right, but Gakpo pushed it wide of the post. But promising.

Online duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2023, 03:06:48 pm »
5 Our first genuine attack which opened on the left and then was crossed over to the right, but Gakpo pushed it wide of the post. But promising.
Nice one-two off the Forest player in that move from Gakpo
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2023, 03:07:01 pm »
The Kop applauding a gesture by the Forest fans of a banner supporting the 97. Good to see after everything that has happened.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2023, 03:08:09 pm »
6 A great ball there by Trent is put out for a corner. A very good ball in from the corner but no one attacked it surprisingly.

Online duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2023, 03:08:31 pm »
The Kop applauding a gesture by the Forest fans of a banner supporting the 97. Good to see after everything that has happened.
Back to Sign On now?

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2023, 03:09:22 pm »
8 Another incredible ball from Trent and this time Robbo puts in a quality cross which again no one attacks. Look out for these crosses. But we are starting to give them the runaround at the moment.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2023, 03:11:03 pm »
9 So many good crosses. We win a corner after Konate's header goes out off a Forest player. Then the cross once again is quality but Van Dijk can't put the ball in the net.

Online duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2023, 03:11:41 pm »
9 So many good crosses. We win a corner after Konate's header goes out off a Forest player. Then the cross once again is quality but Van Dijk can't put the ball in the net.
Mo had a shot blocked in the melee as well

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2023, 03:12:10 pm »
Full explanation given by our commentator too. Message is spreading...still hope this lot get fuckin cheesed today....

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2023, 03:12:46 pm »
11 A bit quieter for the first time, but Trent is popping up everywhere and some of his passes and crosses have been superb. We just have to make it count, Forest having to work really hard at the moment.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2023, 03:14:08 pm »
13 A bit of attacking by Forest for the first time, but Konate very quick to stamp it out and clear.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2023, 03:16:35 pm »
15 Forest attack again and win a corner, we get it away and we go on the attack quickly but then the ref gives a free kick to Forest for a foul on Neco Williams.

Over to duvva.

Online duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2023, 03:17:02 pm »
15 Forest attack again and win a corner, we get it away and we go on the attack quickly but then the ref gives a free kick to Forest for a foul on Neco Williams.

Over to duvva.
Wasn’t a foul

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2023, 03:17:11 pm »
"Nico Williams - he left cos you're shit!" sing the fans of the club in the relegation zone...  ::)

Online duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2023, 03:17:57 pm »
16 Fabinho won the ball well set Salah away he just couldn’t quite pick out Gakpo with the through ball

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2023, 03:18:29 pm »
Wasn’t a foul

I guessed that when I saw Jota's reaction.  :)

Online duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2023, 03:18:51 pm »
17 Gibbs-White gets loose and hits one from 25 yards, caught easily by Alisson

Online duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2023, 03:21:09 pm »
18 a lot of possession and when we lose it we’re winning it back quickly, but not a great deal of threat right now

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2023, 03:21:56 pm »
They have a back five Forest and they are sticking to their task at the moment, we just need to be patient.

Online duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2023, 03:23:24 pm »
21 Really nice build up from Jota broke down on the edge of the box, we then get in down the right but Fabinho skies it

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2023, 03:24:21 pm »
21 Really nice build up from Jota broke down on the edge of the box, we then get in down the right but Fabinho skies it

Fab was leaning back when he had the shot.

Online duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2023, 03:27:02 pm »
25 Foul on Trent and a free kick in a dangerous position. Sorry if I’m missing any action, stream is breaking up a little

Online duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2023, 03:28:17 pm »
26 SO CLOSE VVD - header from Trent’s free kick. Saved for a corner now another corner from the other side after a Forest player receives treatment

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2023, 03:30:48 pm »
McKenna injured, Worrall on for Forest by the looks of it.

Online duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2023, 03:30:54 pm »
Interesting test for the idea of Trent moving into CM: Forest are going to give him nothing like the space and time that Leeds did. So far, looks a little more like the first 45 Vs Arsenal, where he struggled to get on the ball.

Online duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2023, 03:31:38 pm »
30 So close again, cleared off the line from the corner - over to 24/7

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2023, 03:34:48 pm »
34 so much action it took 4 mins for the replay of the chance - now we have a corner

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2023, 03:35:57 pm »
35 Scrappy as hell in the penno area, nobody can get a shot off, then Gakpo tries a bicycle kick, and Mo blasts wide. Getting closer!

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2023, 03:36:36 pm »
It will come, it will come.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2023, 03:37:44 pm »
37 We're fighting for every ball, aggressive midfield play, great to see - just need better service into the box and a bit of luck - you get the feeling that when the goal comes, this lot will collapse like a flan in a cupboard.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2023, 03:38:22 pm »
38 Clear foul on Mo over on the right , f/k to us.