Author Topic: European Super League  (Read 27782 times)

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
Re: European Super League
« Reply #240 on: December 21, 2023, 10:02:39 am »
The number of LFC fans who appear to want this is just depressing.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #241 on: December 21, 2023, 10:06:07 am »

But football always moves forward. People forget The Premier League is a cartel formed on the back of what came before. The Champions League is a money making cartel, formed on the history of the European Cup.

And so on.

Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline Redsnappa

• Pining for No.20
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks Shanks for Tosh and Kev.
« Reply #242 on: December 21, 2023, 10:18:35 am »
Do we get our £3.7m fine money back?

Online JRed

• After a 2L bottle of strongbow I’d do anything!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #243 on: December 21, 2023, 10:21:36 am »
I think it’s more that people have had enough of the current system and want change. The despots have bought Fifa and Uefa, they are close to owning the PL. something has to change Jill. Surely you see that?

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #244 on: December 21, 2023, 10:27:53 am »
I think it’s more that people have had enough of the current system and want change. The despots have bought Fifa and Uefa, they are close to owning the PL. something has to change Jill. Surely you see that?

All I see is greed everywhere, whether it's UEFA, FIFA, the clubs and now even the fans using the despots as justification for the latest piece of greed. Dress it how you want but it's still the same old greed. Not only that go down this route the next thing will be playing these games away from Europe, as they continue to screw the ordinary fan

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #245 on: December 21, 2023, 10:28:15 am »

As things currently stand - reform of the existing setup is impossible.
Only thing left to hope for is to burn it to the fucking ground.
So let it burn.

Offline Sharado

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #246 on: December 21, 2023, 10:28:49 am »

I don't really want it but the direction of football and the general state football finds itself in right now is hardly any better. We currently have 2 repressive regimes owning premier league clubs, venture capitalists bleeding other clubs dry, and UEFA/FIFA with their noses in the trough making the rich richer, the players play more and the fans to pay more. I don't really see how the super league is any better or worse than what's already here to be honest. Still, roll on the world cup in Saudi Arabia in 2030 when we can just get back to enjoying the football.
Football, like life, isn't about getting what you want or even deserve. It's about appreciating what you have.

Online Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #247 on: December 21, 2023, 10:34:35 am »

I'd rather us join the EFL instead, but I don't think that'll happen.

Online JRed

• After a 2L bottle of strongbow I’d do anything!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #248 on: December 21, 2023, 10:37:13 am »
All I see is greed everywhere, whether it's UEFA, FIFA, the clubs and now even the fans using the despots as justification for the latest piece of greed. Dress it how you want but it's still the same old greed. Not only that go down this route the next thing will be playing these games away from Europe, as they continue to screw the ordinary fan
I guess the way I see it is that I’m almost done with football anyway, and it’s solely because of the despotic regimes killing the game. We’d have had numerous titles over the last few years but we were up against the biggest cheats in the history of world sport, who as yet, have not been punished. It’s a fucking disgrace and I want no part of the game if it’s allowed to continue. So, if a version of the super league can deal with the cheats, then I’ll be for it. Hopefully not at the expense of the football pyramid tho, which I agree would be just as bad for the game in general

Online Brain Potter

• Embarrassing. Likes to listen through the walls....Auralist Extrodinaire!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #249 on: December 21, 2023, 10:40:09 am »
This needs binning off as soon as possible. It’s a fucking terrible idea.

Offline Tony19:6

• Begets John 3:16
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born and Bred
« Reply #250 on: December 21, 2023, 10:45:19 am »
I'm still absorbing the implications of this ruling, no doubt things will become clearer over the coming days.

To be clear I don't want an ESL in the format is was proposed, but surely any ruling which loosens the grip of the UEFA/FIFA cartel has to be a good thing?

Things need to change...   
A Great man once said...
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and of making yourself available to receive a pass.
It is terribly simple."

http://twitter.com/Tony19_6

Offline AllyouneedisRush

• One leg, musical nostrils, itchy crotch. Is actually Louis Walsh.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #251 on: December 21, 2023, 10:48:15 am »
I don't want this to happen as I think I may walk away from the game if an entire new league structure is created.  But sadly think it's inevitable...

£££££££
Justice 97 - YNWA

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #252 on: December 21, 2023, 10:48:17 am »

Is it? UEFA is bent as fuck. The CL is pretty much what the ESL proposed to be.

I'd be delighted if we fucked UEFA off for something else.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #253 on: December 21, 2023, 10:51:00 am »

The current system is abysmal

Football isn't really any fun any more. If something can be done around that then that would be a massive improvement.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #254 on: December 21, 2023, 10:52:12 am »
What's more depressing is the number of imbeciles, led by chief imbecile Jamie Carragher, thinking joining the ESL was leaving the PL. Stupid c*nts everywhere.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #255 on: December 21, 2023, 10:57:53 am »
If it replaces the CL, that's great.  If it's a closed shop with no relegation, that's shit.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Djimigotamedal

• Main Stander
« Reply #256 on: December 21, 2023, 10:58:56 am »
Just out of interest as I’m too young to remember life before Sky’s premier league was created, what was the feeling towards that at the time? I seem to remember seeing a clip of des lynam saying it was much criticised or something along those lines.

Although I’m against the idea of a super league, I do think we have to be careful listening to carragher and Neville who seem to have become to voice of the fans on these matters.

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #257 on: December 21, 2023, 11:00:41 am »
I'd be very disappointed if we broke away from an association we've been part of for 131 years. To just 'park' that part of our traditions would be in tune with the franchise business model that I despise in American sports.

Bring back the days where a Champions League was just that. Champions Of Champions.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Online Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #258 on: December 21, 2023, 11:03:01 am »
They should make the Champions League/European Cup champions only, straight knockout.

Europa League/UEFA Cup should be all of the other top 5/6 teams to win, will give it more prestige too.

Offline AllyouneedisRush

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #259 on: December 21, 2023, 11:03:56 am »
Just out of interest as I’m too young to remember life before Sky’s premier league was created, what was the feeling towards that at the time? I seem to remember seeing a clip of des lynam saying it was much criticised or something along those lines.

Although I’m against the idea of a super league, I do think we have to be careful listening to carragher and Neville who seem to have become to voice of the fans on these matters.

It was the same league system so nothing really changed in that way, so no one really moaned about it, a few wise old sages did say to be careful, but it was pretty much welcomed.

The Sky influence has changed much over the years.

Carragher and Neville speak for themselves , not fans.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2023, 11:05:27 am by AllyouneedisRush »
Justice 97 - YNWA

Online JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #260 on: December 21, 2023, 11:04:02 am »
I don't really want it but the direction of football and the general state football finds itself in right now is hardly any better. We currently have 2 repressive regimes owning premier league clubs, venture capitalists bleeding other clubs dry, and UEFA/FIFA with their noses in the trough making the rich richer, the players play more and the fans to pay more. I don't really see how the super league is any better or worse than what's already here to be honest. Still, roll on the world cup in Saudi Arabia in 2030 when we can just get back to enjoying the football.

It went almost entirely under the radar for some reason but Amarco is now the biggest backer of Fifa.... Saudi Arabia basically own world football in plain sight and no one bats an eyelid
The world club cup is a Saudi backed initiative with the idea of Saudi teams having a platform and growing to supercede the CL ... the world cup is there in 2030 awarded with no competitors behind a closed doors weeks before the sponsorships deal was announced

The super league is an attempt by the old European giants to cling to relevance but fuck knows where it goes from here - its a mess.
It's very hard to imagine that a 20 team premier league will be the leading club competition for this countries biggest clubs a decade from now

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #261 on: December 21, 2023, 11:05:43 am »
They should make the Champions League/European Cup champions only, straight knockout.

Europa League/UEFA Cup should be all of the other top 5/6 teams to win, will give it more prestige too.

Totally agree with this. The top four or five being in the competition means it's just fucking shite.

Make it;

CHAMPIONS: CHAMPIONS LEAGUE

2-3 - Europa League

4 - Conference Europe thingy

5 and lower - no European football

Less is more. Much more.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline AllyouneedisRush

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #262 on: December 21, 2023, 11:07:15 am »

Totally agree with this. The top four or five being in the competition means it's just fucking shite.

Make it;

CHAMPIONS: CHAMPIONS LEAGUE

2-3 - Europa League

4 - Conference Europe thingy

5 and lower - no European football

Less is more. Much more.

But the tv companies are paying billions, they want/need more games.

Justice 97 - YNWA

Offline jambutty

• The Gok Wan of RAWK. Tripespotting Advocate. Oakley style guru. Hardman St. arl arse, "Ridiculously cool" -Atko- Impending U.S. Civil War Ostrich. Too old to suffer wankers and WUMs on here.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • June 20, 2009. Still no justice for Neda
« Reply #263 on: December 21, 2023, 11:14:07 am »
Benjamins and a public thirsty for more quality matches.
Kill the humourless

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #264 on: December 21, 2023, 11:16:14 am »
It went almost entirely under the radar for some reason but Amarco is now the biggest backer of Fifa.... Saudi Arabia basically own world football in plain sight and no one bats an eyelid
The world club cup is a Saudi backed initiative with the idea of Saudi teams having a platform and growing to supercede the CL ... the world cup is there in 2030 awarded with no competitors behind a closed doors weeks before the sponsorships deal was announced

The super league is an attempt by the old European giants to cling to relevance but fuck knows where it goes from here - its a mess.
It's very hard to imagine that a 20 team premier league will be the leading club competition for this countries biggest clubs a decade from now

It's nothing more than a pipe dream anyway. The ruling itself makes it clear it's not in favour of a Super League.

Offline redan

• yellowan pinkan green. purplean orangean blue.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'd prefer a beer!!
« Reply #265 on: December 21, 2023, 11:19:35 am »
Anyone watching this Super League relaunch video??

They just showed a video which explained how there are three divisions which have (minimal) promotion and relegation and half the teams in the bottom division swap out for new teams each season. The co-host asked the CEO/Presenter how clubs qualify for the bottom division and he said ‘he doesn’t know yet’ 🤣🤣

Nothing like being prepared

Offline Red Bird

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #266 on: December 21, 2023, 11:20:18 am »
I read from the ruling what I always suspected— UEFA and, in particular, FIFA are a collective law unto themselves with not an iota of  accountability protocols and regulatory procedures— it’s make it up as we go along. And they’re as corrupt as all get out.

The ESL itself is mainly the two or three team leagues casting their beady eye on the Premier League without actually appreciating why it brings in so much revenue in the first (and why they don’t.)

Offline Bread

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #267 on: December 21, 2023, 11:20:28 am »
Think we'll see this come to fruition eventually. The fact it's no longer a closed shop will swing it, and the idea of this streaming service that will air every game for free will turn the heads of a lot of fans currently shelling out for Sky/BT/Amazon.

Offline CowboyKangaroo

• aka WayneSkippy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #268 on: December 21, 2023, 11:21:01 am »
Do we get our £3.7m fine money back?

That was always a donation - no rules had been broken (at that point) even prior to this decision.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2023, 11:29:27 am by CowboyKangaroo »
shut up clown. Naby Keita can buy your life and throw it away.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #269 on: December 21, 2023, 11:21:12 am »
I'd be very disappointed if we broke away from an association we've been part of for 131 years. To just 'park' that part of our traditions would be in tune with the franchise business model that I despise in American sports.

Bring back the days where a Champions League was just that. Champions Of Champions.

You're not going to be dissappointed then, because we wouldn't be.

We've only been part of the PL for 31 years.
Prior to that we were part of the football league for 100 years.
Regardless, joining the ESL wouldn't be leaving the PL  :butt

Online disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #270 on: December 21, 2023, 11:26:11 am »
Anyone watching this Super League relaunch video??

They just showed a video which explained how there are three divisions which have (minimal) promotion and relegation and half the teams in the bottom division swap out for new teams each season. The co-host asked the CEO/Presenter how clubs qualify for the bottom division and he said ‘he doesn’t know yet’ 🤣🤣

Nothing like being prepared

I can understand people want to say goodbye to UEFA, fair enough, would be nice and all. But I can't believe there are still people who seriously want this shite to go ahead. You are just walking into the exact same problem. It'll be spiting arseholes then handing power over to people who'll likely prove themselves to be just as big arseholes.

There is literally no winning IMO and it's horrible for the fans. Football at the top level is completely fucked, has been for years and is surely beyond saving now.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #271 on: December 21, 2023, 11:29:02 am »
You're not going to be dissappointed then, because we wouldn't be.

We've only been part of the PL for 31 years.
Prior to that we were part of the football league for 100 years.
Regardless, joining the ESL wouldn't be leaving the PL  :butt

They didn't even think it out properly even as it was launched, people asking questions about how it would be run, it was a badly thought up venture. I totally get people having no faith in UEFA/FIFA but this whole venture was no more than a cock up.

Online ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #272 on: December 21, 2023, 11:31:09 am »
Bernd Reichart, the chief executive of A22, a consultancy hired by the Super League Company, said on X: “We have won the right to compete. The Uefa monopoly is over. Football is free. Clubs are now free from the threat of sanction and free to determine their own futures.”

Reichart said of the project’s plans: “For fans: We propose free viewing of all Super League matches. For clubs: Revenues and solidarity spending will be guaranteed.”

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/dec/21/european-super-league-boost-court-of-justice-ruling-uefa-fifa-eu-law
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Online jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #273 on: December 21, 2023, 11:32:57 am »
BOOM! There it is....!

Roll on the Super League.  Roll on clubs in charge of their own broadcast rights. Liverpool European matches without the need to sub BT Sports/TNT. Thank you very much! :D
Awww, sweet summer child

Online ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #274 on: December 21, 2023, 11:38:20 am »

Fabrizio Romano
@FabrizioRomano

🚨🏆 Super League potential format announced.

🔢 64 teams.
📊 3 divisions (Star, Gold and Blue) with promotions and relegations.

⚽️ 14 games each season per team.
🏡 7 at home.
🛫 7 away.

🔓 It will be an open competition
⚔️ Two phases: League and playoffs.
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Online Musketeer Gripweed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #275 on: December 21, 2023, 11:38:49 am »
At least some serious discussions and proposals may come out of this news. What happens after that, fuck knows. Might the best thing or the worst thing ever.

Offline lfc_col

• Legacy Fan
  • And Could He Play!
« Reply #276 on: December 21, 2023, 11:39:41 am »

It wont change though the likes of city and Newcastle will be involved
We Won It Six Times

JFT 97

Online disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #277 on: December 21, 2023, 11:39:54 am »
Fabrizio Romano
@FabrizioRomano

🚨🏆 Super League potential format announced.

🔢 64 teams.
📊 3 divisions (Star, Gold and Blue) with promotions and relegations.

⚽️ 14 games each season per team.
🏡 7 at home.
🛫 7 away.

🔓 It will be an open competition
⚔️ Two phases: League and playoffs.

Sounds absolutely shite.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Online JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #278 on: December 21, 2023, 11:41:39 am »
This A22 company / collection of old european clubs are just so weird ... how have they learned nothing after last time and are doing another ham fisted, not thought through launch of a thing??!!!!

Just develop it properly.. get people on board and have a proper launch event - at least give yourselves a chance

Oh and free to air is just dumb.. they won't make as much money and you'll be watching 'welcome to the 2nd quarter of todays game brought to you in assocation with Mattel .. get Malibu barbie by hitting your red button now'

Offline lfc_col

• Legacy Fan
  • And Could He Play!
« Reply #279 on: December 21, 2023, 11:43:30 am »
Oh and free to air is just dumb.. they won't make as much money and you'll be watching 'welcome to the 2nd quarter of todays game brought to you in assocation with Mattel .. get Malibu barbie by hitting your red button now'

Thats a good thing isn't it more people can actually watch the games i dont see a problem with that
We Won It Six Times

JFT 97