Author Topic: LIVERPOOL TRANSFER THREAD 2023 - archived discussions about what’s offensive  (Read 1081074 times)

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Re: LIVERPOOL TRANSFER THREAD 2023
« Reply #14240 on: March 20, 2023, 05:38:11 pm »
spend a few pence on subscriptions you cheap bastard  :lmao

This site takes donations by the way….

:D
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline istvan kozma

• Legacy Fan
  • "We have dreams and songs to sing"
« Reply #14241 on: March 20, 2023, 05:45:53 pm »
Much of the midfield issue can be laid at the management/recruitment team's door, it's piss poor planning, no two ways about it. However, the fans were shouting from the rafters for the club to sign a midfielder last summer. Players like Van Dijk were (and still is). Klopp by August held his hands up that he'd misjudged the situation (Tchouameni/Bellingham or bust) but the money was limited again, Diaz replaced Mane and Nunez was the summer budget.

FSG were complacent and uninterested in these calls and will pay for it (probably) by a loss of CL revenue which will be an excuse for turning the tap off further, when our rivals still outspend us when they're in the EL.
We committed another £40m on a forward in January.

Offline istvan kozma

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14242 on: March 20, 2023, 05:52:17 pm »
No, but guess what, players got old and some got shite. It happens. Its not the same team as last season.
How old is Modric, Mahrez, De Bruyne, Lewandowski, Benzema & Kroos?

Offline Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14243 on: March 20, 2023, 05:53:32 pm »
There's too much clickbait/volume on there now, I got rid of it even at £1 a month. You have to get past 8 or 9 articles to find one you actually want to read.

Half the content is barely a step up from the Liverpool Echo's how scouse is your nan type articles all over their website in terms of anything of interest.

Article volume is undoubtedly a more important piece of their strategy now, which has inevitably lead to a decrease in quality.

They started as a more long-form, lower volume but high-quality focused service and have slowly crept to the more (recently) tried-and-true content, clicks and clout method. Hence my cancellation. Was fun while it lasted.
You cannot call overseas Liverpool supporters glory hunters. We’ve won one trophy this decade. If they’re glory hunters, they’re really bad ones. They’re actually journey hunters. It’s the journey and the story. Something about Liverpool has grabbed them." - Neil Atkinson (May, 2019)

"So don’t think about it – just play football.” - Jurgen Klopp

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14244 on: March 20, 2023, 05:57:00 pm »

Mahrez has been great? How many players do we have on the level of those others?

Offline G Richards

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #14245 on: March 20, 2023, 05:59:46 pm »
First of all, lovely to see Capon.

Second, what will be will be. There were always two options once we started to pursue Bellingham. We might sign him, or we might not. It still has to run its course. No need to get upset now.

If we don’t sign him, and we also fail to significantly upgrade the midfield in summer, fine, let the bed wetting begin. Sign me up for a summer tantrum at that point.

But we are not there yet. Let’s see what happens.

Offline istvan kozma

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14246 on: March 20, 2023, 05:59:54 pm »
Mahrez has been great? How many players do we have on the level of those others?
Point is, in 1 year you don't from where LFC were, to where they are now, due to age.

Offline DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14247 on: March 20, 2023, 06:00:21 pm »

Yep. We are hopefully looking at giving Hendo and Fab new 6 year deals. Look at how good Modric still is at 37. Thiago Silva still good too so hopefully a new 8 year deal for Matip.

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14248 on: March 20, 2023, 06:10:13 pm »
I think we need more than players. The medical department looks like it's the worst in the league based on injuries. Ward needs to be replaced soon. We just need to sort this mess out and give Klopp the tools to succeed. It's all a mess right now.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14249 on: March 20, 2023, 06:14:05 pm »
Hasn't Henry literally come out and said we aren't for sale? So shall we add that to Ornsteins list of wrong clickbait exclusive pieces? Thanks I forgot that example.

Klopp literally mentioned the Athletic specifically due to more of it's journalists publishing lies. I'll take Klopp's opinion of their trusthworthness.

I understand the difference thanks, The Athletic has never made money, it loses money, reducing your losses by a third means you're still making a loss.

Do you work for them? You seem very defensive.
The vast, vast majority of media publications lose money unless they have a high-revenue sidebar like events and virtually none make money from subscriptions alone - it's 2023. The Atlantic for instance has some of the best long-form writing on the internet and has never made a profit. It has no bearing on the quality of output which is why it was a ridiculous thing to say, especially when a) attached to a link that undermined your claim about it 'getting worse' and b) the money they spend is literally going on journalists.

As for the other, Ornstein reported the existence of the sale pack, something that was later confirmed with the caveat that we were apparently looking for an investor rather than a buyer. Since we haven't found one, we'll have to guess how true that is. I'm sorry Ornstein sometimes writes things you don't like, it doesn't make what he writes clickbait, whatever you think that means in this instance. Klopp has never mentioned The Athletic by name, he refused to answer a question from James Pearce at a press conference, apparently a case of mistaken identity.

And no, I don't have a connection to The Athletic outside of subscribing. I just felt the need to correct an incredibly dumb series of posts.

Offline decosabute

• ...and so am I. Abu Dhabi correspondent
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14250 on: March 20, 2023, 06:18:52 pm »
There's too much clickbait/volume on there now, I got rid of it even at £1 a month. You have to get past 8 or 9 articles to find one you actually want to read.

Half the content is barely a step up from the Liverpool Echo's how scouse is your nan type articles all over their website in terms of anything of interest.
100% agree - also got rid of it, despite being on the cheap subscription. It's mostly just more of the same crap masquerading as something new and better. Most football writers are either spouting clueless opinions or guesswork - the Athletic just have more of them than other sites.

Having said all that, I would say Ornstein is one of their more reliable ones. Sure, he's got some stuff wrong, but loads right too. Think it's fair enough to have concerns over this news, even though personally I still think we'll get it done.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14251 on: March 20, 2023, 06:27:11 pm »
Point is, in 1 year you don't from where LFC were, to where they are now, due to age.

Why not? Not every player can be like those legends you describe. Trying to do what only a handful of players have managed isnt sound judgement.

Offline Asam

• has a mankini
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14252 on: March 20, 2023, 06:28:48 pm »
The most important words in the Ornstein tweet are the first 3. I fully expect some investment to be announced before the end of the season.

Even if we don't expect any investment, we're at a similar level of the clubs who are in for him and he would be the main man for us vs a bit part player elsewhere, it does get the pulses racing but if we did walkaway it won't be because we can't compete for the transfer fee or wages

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14253 on: March 20, 2023, 06:29:41 pm »
Even if we don't expect any investment, we're at a similar level of the clubs who are in for him and he would be the main man for us vs a bit part player elsewhere, it does get the pulses racing but if we did walkaway it won't be because we can't compete for the transfer fee or wages

We are in terms of size but not finances.

Offline Motty

• 'Arry's Tax Lawyer. T'riffic. Hush, hush, eye to eye. When will he, will he be famous? I can't answer that!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14254 on: March 20, 2023, 06:34:26 pm »
This site takes donations by the way….
I find it amazing there are people with thousands of posts, one with 70k that haven't thrown any money in the Rawk coffers, fucking tight bastards.

Offline istvan kozma

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14255 on: March 20, 2023, 06:37:15 pm »
Why not? Not every player can be like those legends you describe. Trying to do what only a handful of players have managed isnt sound judgement.
Err...no, age isn't the reason for the teams results to go from 1 extreme to the other, players have pointed out there's been a bad attitude in certain games. For instance from October 12th to November 6th we beat City Tottenham & Napoli, but lose to bottom placed Leeds & Forest, that's ridiculous and has nothing to do with age.

Offline Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14256 on: March 20, 2023, 06:39:57 pm »
It’s probably worth mentioning that around a month ago Ornstein did another piece on Bellingham where he mentioned us quite favourably in the running.

I wouldn’t take it especially seriously, clickbait is perhaps a bit harsh but anyone thinking that even the more reliable journos don’t have targets to hit in terms of readership etc and don’t know easy ways of bumping their numbers during an international break is probably a bit naive.

It’s not about ‘reliable va reliable’ or ‘clickbait vs non-clickbait’ just that they basically all have targets and if the news isn’t around you have to be a bit creative with the information you do have. I can only really think of Joyce that doesn’t do that.

Offline Agent99

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14257 on: March 20, 2023, 06:41:20 pm »
NEW: Josko Gvardiol and Kim Min-Jae are both on Liverpool’s list of targets for this summer, with the former having been tracked extensively in recent months. #lfc [@JacobsBen]

Feast on this mofos.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #14258 on: March 20, 2023, 06:43:32 pm »
Err...no, age isn't the reason for the teams results to go from 1 extreme to the other, players have pointed out there's been a bad attitude in certain games. For instance from October 12th to November 6th we beat City Tottenham & Napoli, but lose to bottom placed Leeds & Forest, that's ridiculous and has nothing to do with age.

It's a mixture of both actually, they can muster up the required motivation to get them through some of the big games, relying on adrenaline to mask their physical deficiencies. The smaller games, lack of motivation, lack of adrenaline can't mask their physical deficiencies.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline A-Bomb

• Garlic Butter Coming. Isn’t as good as Divock Origi. Can we sell him?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14259 on: March 20, 2023, 06:43:45 pm »
Feast on this mofos.

Kim has had a good season, Gvardiol was impressive in the world cup - the little I've seen since, less so.

Offline Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14260 on: March 20, 2023, 06:48:10 pm »
The vast, vast majority of media publications lose money unless they have a high-revenue sidebar like events and virtually none make money from subscriptions alone - it's 2023. The Atlantic for instance has some of the best long-form writing on the internet and has never made a profit. It has no bearing on the quality of output which is why it was a ridiculous thing to say, especially when a) attached to a link that undermined your claim about it 'getting worse' and b) the money they spend is literally going on journalists.

As for the other, Ornstein reported the existence of the sale pack, something that was later confirmed with the caveat that we were apparently looking for an investor rather than a buyer. Since we haven't found one, we'll have to guess how true that is. I'm sorry Ornstein sometimes writes things you don't like, it doesn't make what he writes clickbait, whatever you think that means in this instance. Klopp has never mentioned The Athletic by name, he refused to answer a question from James Pearce at a press conference, apparently a case of mistaken identity.

And no, I don't have a connection to The Athletic outside of subscribing. I just felt the need to correct an incredibly dumb series of posts.

As other posters have mentioned The Athletic was a really good forward thinking site. I've been a subscriber since the first day, Simon Hughes and Melissa Reddy were great to read. Now funded by adverts it's changed, my personal view is the culture and production of the site has changed much more akin to a clickbait one, I wonder if there is a link to the new owners target of 15mil subscription figure by 2027. There is still the odd good piece but far far more filler rehash articles alongside the "exclusives" with little to no actual material or sources.

Ornstein is basically an upper class Romano.

Happy to be proven wrong but I understand it was articles at the Athletic co-authored/promoted by Pearce implying weird things about Klopp and his relationship with Matt McCann and suggesting we'd faked Covid tests which has caused the animosity.

Dumb posts? Just a differing of opinion, no need to get personal is there.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14261 on: March 20, 2023, 06:48:16 pm »
Feast on this mofos.

He isnt very reliable is he?

Offline Trump's tiny tiny hands

• Legacy Fan
  • Building steam with a grain of salt
« Reply #14262 on: March 20, 2023, 06:49:36 pm »
Tell me why, I shouldn't like Min-Jae

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14263 on: March 20, 2023, 06:50:43 pm »
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14264 on: March 20, 2023, 06:52:45 pm »
Kim has a 45 million Euros clause i read the other day.

He's going to have a lot of suitors, looks to be the best CB in Serie A, great business by Napoli getting him for peanuts, can we nab Napoli's DoF by any chance?

I'd rather we tried to get N'Dicka on a Bosman and put whatever money we are spending on the midfield.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #14265 on: March 20, 2023, 06:57:32 pm »
Feast on this mofos.

Just when I thought I was out ... THEY PULL ME BACK IN!!!
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #14266 on: March 20, 2023, 07:05:35 pm »
Is Kim little?
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline CS111

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14267 on: March 20, 2023, 07:15:07 pm »
I do love a bit of Min-Jae 2 or 3 times a week. 

Offline RedBec1993

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14268 on: March 20, 2023, 07:17:54 pm »
Ornstein adding more context on a podcast to his earlier article. Not sure what podcast it is though.

“It’s mainly likely to come down to finances, the expected transfer fee, we don’t know what that is going to be at this time. We’ve reported that Borussia Dortmund are looking for around €150m. Liverpool don’t know what competitions they’re going to be playing in, Champions League or Europa League and that will affect budgets.”

“It’s vital to stress Liverpool’s pursuit is not off, but that is our understanding of the current situation, speaking to multiple sources with knowledge of this situation from across the industry. Liverpool would be reluctant to get into a bidding war at that level of finance.

“We’re not saying with certainty how this is going to conclude, we’re trying our best to relay to you what we’re hearing at this moment in time.”

Offline Caston

• Castoff, Knitone, Purlone
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14269 on: March 20, 2023, 07:23:13 pm »
Since when is a ‘bidding war’ ever a thing. It’s just doesn’t happen.

We’ve known for years what the potential fee will be.

Offline RedBec1993

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14270 on: March 20, 2023, 07:24:19 pm »

Yep, bidding wars between clubs are a thing of the past. It’s a myth that this still goes on.

Player picks the club he wants, clubs then agree on a fee.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14271 on: March 20, 2023, 07:24:58 pm »

Have we? This time last year I remember a lot of people expecting nothing over £75-£80m.

Offline istvan kozma

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14272 on: March 20, 2023, 07:28:03 pm »

Exactly, buying a footballer isn't the same as auctioning off a painting at Sotheby's.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14273 on: March 20, 2023, 07:28:27 pm »
"Bidding War" Fucker is living about 15 years ago.  ;D

Offline Caston

• Castoff, Knitone, Purlone
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14274 on: March 20, 2023, 07:30:14 pm »
Have we? This time last year I remember a lot of people expecting nothing over £75-£80m.

For years is an exaggeration. I just find it funny if it’s true it’s unlikely because of the fee when we’ve been chasing him for years and should expect to pay a large fee. Said earlier if it was footballing reasons him not joining us fine but if it’s now finances then it’s not good enough.

We shall see.

Offline Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14275 on: March 20, 2023, 07:31:00 pm »
Ornstein adding more context on a podcast to his earlier article. Not sure what podcast it is though.

“It’s mainly likely to come down to finances, the expected transfer fee, we don’t know what that is going to be at this time. We’ve reported that Borussia Dortmund are looking for around €150m. Liverpool don’t know what competitions they’re going to be playing in, Champions League or Europa League and that will affect budgets.”

“It’s vital to stress Liverpool’s pursuit is not off, but that is our understanding of the current situation, speaking to multiple sources with knowledge of this situation from across the industry. Liverpool would be reluctant to get into a bidding war at that level of finance.

We’re not saying with certainty how this is going to conclude, we’re trying our best to relay to you what we’re hearing at this moment in time.”

Good stuff. Just really, really good stuff here.
You cannot call overseas Liverpool supporters glory hunters. We’ve won one trophy this decade. If they’re glory hunters, they’re really bad ones. They’re actually journey hunters. It’s the journey and the story. Something about Liverpool has grabbed them." - Neil Atkinson (May, 2019)

"So don’t think about it – just play football.” - Jurgen Klopp

Offline A Red Abroad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We had dreams and songs to sing
« Reply #14276 on: March 20, 2023, 07:34:12 pm »
Good stuff. Just really, really good stuff here.

Proper that.

Nearly as good as that other fraud Alex Crook - I swear they just make a story fit the narrative they want - without actually confirming anything.  Friggin' Twitter makes more sense.  :(
My marmoset, to get things done,
You fell in Loch Ness with Major Tom.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14277 on: March 20, 2023, 07:36:26 pm »
For years is an exaggeration. I just find it funny if it’s true it’s unlikely because of the fee when we’ve been chasing him for years and should expect to pay a large fee. Said earlier if it was footballing reasons him not joining us fine but if it’s now finances then it’s not good enough.

We shall see.

There are a lot of possibilities. Important also to remember that the club and the footballing side are in complete different worlds between last summer and this summer. It could very well be that we are in a place now that we never expected and that we need to go right back to the start of the whole thing rather than be the club that puts the cherry on the cake.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #14278 on: March 20, 2023, 07:36:51 pm »

“We’re not saying with certainty how this is going to conclude, we’re trying our best to relay to you what we’re hearing at this moment in time.”

So in other words, he doesn't have much of a clue, but by mentioning "Liverpool", "Bellingham" and "may not sign" together will get a shit load of attention.

Offline Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14279 on: March 20, 2023, 07:38:04 pm »
So in other words, he doesn't have much of a clue, but by mentioning "Liverpool", "Bellingham" and "may not sign" together will get a shit load of attention.

Quite.