Author Topic: German police arrest people involved in far-right plot to overthrow the State  (Read 1008 times)

Offline Robinred

• Wanted for burglary.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red since '64
"The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology...as long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth." Mikhail Bakunin

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf

Offline stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/dec/07/german-police-raids-target-far-right-reich-citizens-movement?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

What do we make of this story from Germany, and the links to Qanon?

Don't think the Qanon link means that much. They probably picked up some of the stuff from Qanon, but their main thing is clearly the Reichsbürger (sovereign citizen) movement. The scary part for me is how many (ex-) military people seem to have been involved with this. And it's not really a secret that the German army and also their police and other state (investigation) agencies have a rather big issues with right-wing c*nts. They need to really start getting rid of those people.

The whole plot looks like the weird fantasies of some loons, but at the end of the day this stuff can become pretty dangerous. Maybe not in terms of them actually overthrowing the state, but in terms of people getting killed. There already was a shootout a few years ago where a Reichsbürger killed a policeman and injured a few more, when they were trying to seize the guns he had in his home. So, even if in the big picture the plans of this group seem to be lunacy that doesn't mean that people couldn't have been killed depending on whether they actually had weapons at their disposal, which seems rather likely with former and current military people as members. Stuff like this should not be underestimated and I hope that this is a wake-up call for authorities not just in Germany, but also in other places (like here in Austria). What worries me most is the amount of right-wing people there seem to be in the military and police force.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
I know a few people that are into Qanon and they are just batshit crazy.

I mean they have serious, serious, serious problems and they believe it. Had to jib/ignore them. It's just absolutely literally insane.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Robinred

• Wanted for burglary.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red since '64
That Qanon has crossed the Atlantic, and found adherents in Germany and the U.K. is probably no surprise - as Howard acknowledged. What’s disconcerting is that when we read of developments like the current one in Germany, we get a glimpse of the pervasiveness of what we might have once considered crackpot (and thus ‘harmless’) conspiracies and the dangers the extreme right poses for democracies - and not just fragile ones.

I understand Stoa’s main scare being the involvement of military or ex-military personnel. My main scare is the extent to which, worldwide, the tentacles of the far right take hold and the insidious role of social media groups.
"The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology...as long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth." Mikhail Bakunin

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
My main surprise (and relief) is that the police actually went and arrested some of these dickheads. It feels like in the US, and the UK, they are just left to carry on, and get into positions of power.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
The Failed Coup Plotters Yearning for the German Reich
A mishmash of conspiracy theories and imperial nostalgia has found purchase with the country’s far-right factions.

https://www.newyorker.com/news/q-and-a/the-failed-coup-plotters-yearning-for-the-german-reich

In 2021, they made an attempt to storm the Reichstag. It’s a kind of parallel that not many people remember to the attempt on January 6th in Washington, D.C., to storm the Capitol. The Reichstag is now the seat of the German Parliament. That was a miserable failure. They broke through a police cordon, but couldn’t get any further, couldn’t enter the building. And, if you look at photographs and film of it, you can see flags being waved in the old imperial colors, or with the old imperial eagle, next to flags of the QAnon conspiracy theory and banners from anti-vaxxers. You can even see a flag with the old imperial colors—black, white, and red—with a picture of Donald Trump. It is worth looking at them to see the kind of very confused conglomeration of different conspiracy theories, including, of course, antisemitic conspiracy theories.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2022, 12:43:17 pm by ScouserAtHeart »
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."