Author Topic: Elon Musk  (Read 80345 times)

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Batshit fucker and Chief Yuletide Porcine Voyeur
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Elon Musk
« Reply #240 on: November 7, 2022, 12:27:09 pm »
I'm still under the assumption that you will need to verify yourself to obtain the BCM, they've just opened it up to the masses to do so and added a fee. Those who currently have the BCM will get the addition of another tag under their name a bit like Politicians get now, which will further verify them beyond the BCM.
Musk can make an argument for expanding the BCM system and applying a change, but only so long as ID verification continues. I am not sure if I would agree with that, but it is not bonkers. Like you, I assumed that meaningful ID verification would continue. But it now seems that the large consensus is that it will not. The messaging around this has been appalling. It is a simple change - whatever the specifics - there is no good reason for there to be uncertainty. As someone else posted, this Liz Truss levels of ineptitude.
would rather have a wank wearing a barb wire glove
If you're chasing thrills, try a bit of auto-asphyxiation with a poppers-soaked orange in your gob.

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #241 on: November 7, 2022, 12:34:39 pm »
Musk can make an argument for expanding the BCM system and applying a change, but only so long as ID verification continues. I am not sure if I would agree with that, but it is not bonkers. Like you, I assumed that meaningful ID verification would continue. But it now seems that the large consensus is that it will not. The messaging around this has been appalling. It is a simple change - whatever the specifics - there is no good reason for there to be uncertainty. As someone else posted, this Liz Truss levels of ineptitude.
I guess someone pointed out to the genius of our times that the money raised by a monthly subscription of a few dollars across a few hundred thousand users wouldn't touch the sides.  If you extend that offer to all the 200m users though then it could start to generate some serious money with a high enough uptake.

It would, presumably, ultimately devalue the 'blue tick' and undermine it's purpose but they're likely not thinking that far ahead.

A two-tier Twitter (and internet for that matter) seems like something Musk would very much endorse.

Online darragh85

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #242 on: November 7, 2022, 01:38:53 pm »
Why?

Because this planet will inevitably become inhospitable in a couple billion years now assuming we don't ruin it ourselves far sooner

As I said, I'm uncertain of his intentions.

BTW, my post was designed to play devil's advocate. I am genuinely interested in counter arguments E. G I don't see why anyone would want to get into space travel for financial reasons. Maybe I'm wrong though but I'm just not sure how profitable it is.
« Last Edit: November 7, 2022, 01:58:54 pm by darragh85 »

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #243 on: November 7, 2022, 03:51:22 pm »
I can't get over Musk's plans to ban parody accounts :lmao

The bird is fried. :lmao
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #244 on: November 7, 2022, 04:12:40 pm »
I can't get over Musk's plans to ban parody accounts :lmao

The bird is fried. :lmao
As long as the account is clearly labelled as a parody then it's OK.

He's definitely made a rod for his own back with that bold statement though as it's going to be almost impossible to police in full.  Even now it's only been used to justify suspending all the Elon Musk parody accounts, plenty of others are around.  Unless he makes it much harder to create a Twitter account then people will just churn through parody accounts to annoy him.

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #245 on: November 7, 2022, 04:27:54 pm »
As long as the account is clearly labelled as a parody then it's OK.

He's definitely made a rod for his own back with that bold statement though as it's going to be almost impossible to police in full.  Even now it's only been used to justify suspending all the Elon Musk parody accounts, plenty of others are around.  Unless he makes it much harder to create a Twitter account then people will just churn through parody accounts to annoy him.

Funny version of free speech, where you have to announce first that you're going to make a joke.

Agree that people will just make parody accounts to annoy Musk, and as a game.

I also think parody accounts are shite and annoying, but in what world is banning them an act supporting free speech?!
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #246 on: November 7, 2022, 04:34:50 pm »
Funny version of free speech, where you have to announce first that you're going to make a joke.

Agree that people will just make parody accounts to annoy Musk, and as a game.

I also think parody accounts are shite and annoying, but in what world is banning them an act supporting free speech?!
Unless I am thinking of another platform, there has been no change in policy regarding parody accounts. I think a requirement to label parody accounts is pretty standard across the different social networks.

But, of course, this does feed in and reinforce Musk's reputation for having a very thin skin. :)
If you're chasing thrills, try a bit of auto-asphyxiation with a poppers-soaked orange in your gob.

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #247 on: November 7, 2022, 04:38:34 pm »
Further: https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-63539617

It seems that a warning were issued in the past, but now there will be none and the account permanently suspended. He's a thin-skinned toss-pot.

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #248 on: November 7, 2022, 04:43:31 pm »
Unless I am thinking of another platform, there has been no change in policy regarding parody accounts. I think a requirement to label parody accounts is pretty standard across the different social networks.

But, of course, this does feed in and reinforce Musk's reputation for having a very thin skin. :)
It's changed from being a two strikes policy (first a warning and then a suspension) to being an instant permanent suspension.

I'm not sure how it works if somebody changes their name by deed poll to "Elon Musk" and then creates an account on Twitter (like Joe Lycett changing his name to Hugo Boss).  Presumably as owner of the company he'd just ban them anyway.  He's fortunate that his name is so unique that there's almost certainly not another Elon Musk walking the planet.

Edit: You beat me to it.  He's certainly thin-skinned and certainly a toss-pot  ;D

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #249 on: November 7, 2022, 04:43:32 pm »
He's just come out and recommended people vote Republican. Absolute c*nt.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #250 on: November 7, 2022, 04:46:21 pm »
Do you think his endorsement will make much difference?  I've always assumed his worshippers would have voted that way anyway but maybe that was too simplistic a view.

I remember when the Remain campaign proudly unveiled David Beckham but it felt like an own goal to have a character that divided opinion so much (not to mention that he'd long since left the UK).

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #251 on: November 7, 2022, 04:47:07 pm »

Are people gonna change vote because Musk told them? I mean he is a c*nt anyway.

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #252 on: November 7, 2022, 04:58:42 pm »
Are people gonna change vote because Musk told them? I mean he is a c*nt anyway.
It's another death knell for the platform. It is advertising/exclaiming that Twitter is for right-wingers. As CEO, he would be wise to keep his mouth shut when it comes to overtly party-political views and recommendations. For much smaller publicly traded corporations, the CEO likely would be removed for this behaviour.
« Last Edit: November 7, 2022, 05:13:47 pm by Jiminy Cricket »

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #253 on: November 7, 2022, 05:01:01 pm »
Do you think his endorsement will make much difference?  I've always assumed his worshippers would have voted that way anyway but maybe that was too simplistic a view.

I remember when the Remain campaign proudly unveiled David Beckham but it felt like an own goal to have a character that divided opinion so much (not to mention that he'd long since left the UK).

It doesn't matter. The fact he said is bad enough.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Circa1892

• Real Madrid 0 - 1 Liverpool - Parc des Princes, 27th May 1981 Remember?... About as intimidating as Bambi.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #254 on: November 7, 2022, 05:12:24 pm »
The Trump/Musk 2024 ticket will be fun!

Offline Wilmo

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #255 on: November 7, 2022, 05:19:54 pm »

Another Russian asset.

He'll run for president next.
'History has always shown that when we stay together we can sort out problems. When we split then we start fighting. There was not one time in history where division creates success.' - Klopp

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #256 on: November 7, 2022, 06:29:59 pm »
He really is a c*nt isn't he.

The same bloke who constantly lies using twatter.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline RainbowFlick

• The Test Ticket Tout. Head of the RAWK Vice Squad.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #257 on: November 7, 2022, 07:11:06 pm »
his version of "truth" where public transport issues are solved by digging death tunnels underground for your automated cars that may or may not drive into children or spontaneously burst into flames
YNWA.

Offline Circa1892

• Real Madrid 0 - 1 Liverpool - Parc des Princes, 27th May 1981 Remember?... About as intimidating as Bambi.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #258 on: November 7, 2022, 08:16:47 pm »
Every single user should change their picture and name to him and say "I'm Elon and I'm a fucking nonce" or something. If he wants to destroy his site and bankrupt himself through his ego we should all help...

Offline Boston always unofficial

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #259 on: November 7, 2022, 08:38:15 pm »
Another Russian asset.

He'll run for president next.

Born in South Africa so unless they change the rules?
Elon you can't....

Online So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #260 on: November 7, 2022, 10:29:24 pm »
Every single user should change their picture and name to him and say "I'm Elon and I'm a fucking nonce" or something. If he wants to destroy his site and bankrupt himself through his ego we should all help...

Well in his world “paedo” is harmless so why not?

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #261 on: November 7, 2022, 10:33:29 pm »

Maybe they should change their name to Noel Skum.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Online afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #262 on: November 8, 2022, 12:34:24 am »
Maybe they should change their name to Noel Skum.

Or Hi Risk Anus...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #263 on: November 8, 2022, 05:23:30 am »
Musk considering putting the whole thing behind a paywall according to Platformer.

If Friday brought massive layoffs to Twitter, Monday brought fresh evidence that the company will never be the same. Musk has discussed putting the entire site behind a paywall, Platformer has learned. Meanwhile, the company is scrambling to lure back employees who it laid off mere hours ago, and some workers say the economics behind its soon-to-relaunch Twitter Blue subscription could actually lose the company money.

https://www.platformer.news/p/musk-discusses-putting-all-of-twitter

And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #264 on: November 8, 2022, 05:29:58 am »
I hope he does
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #265 on: November 8, 2022, 07:36:26 am »
Musk considering putting the whole thing behind a paywall according to Platformer.

It gets better and better! To think that he claims to have bought it in the name of free speech :lmao

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #266 on: November 8, 2022, 08:52:03 am »

That would be amazing. Please do it.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #267 on: November 8, 2022, 08:56:27 am »

His legion of weird nerds (there are a few of them on here) will lap it up.

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #268 on: November 8, 2022, 08:57:55 am »
Buying a latrine, putting a huge wall around it, and then charging people to visit - when they can just wander the woods and mountains outside.

People only visit a latrine for one reason - to take a shit. You'd think he had bought a reputable newspaper instead of a cesspit. Talk about reactionary.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline ChaChaMooMoo

• From doubters to believers - Klopp 2015
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
« Reply #269 on: November 8, 2022, 08:59:16 am »
All of this makes me think if his offer to buy twitter was just a prank.

And now he is scrambling to make money out of it.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #270 on: November 8, 2022, 09:05:14 am »
His legion of weird nerds (there are a few of them on here) will lap it up.

Always found that weird about the tech business. It attracts fan boys (and girls) who seem to back up a CEO or company. Seems really odd behaviour.

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #271 on: November 8, 2022, 09:15:28 am »

He did try to not buy it.

Offline RainbowFlick

• The Test Ticket Tout. Head of the RAWK Vice Squad.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #272 on: November 8, 2022, 09:45:04 am »

it was posturing to his fanbase, yes, but billionaires love having some sort of media outlet to 'control'. i think he was forced into it at a much higher price than he intended, if he intended to buy at all.

he was being heralded by right-wingers as a protector of free speech but it's quickly shown how the limits are mocking him in any capacity.
YNWA.

Offline ChaChaMooMoo

• From doubters to believers - Klopp 2015
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
« Reply #273 on: November 8, 2022, 09:52:06 am »
He did try to not buy it.

By then it was probably too late to pull out.

Online Libertine

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing behind me, everything ahead of me
« Reply #274 on: November 8, 2022, 10:01:10 am »

Similar to Trump really wrt the presidency.

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #275 on: November 8, 2022, 10:13:33 am »

I've long thought so.
Elon Musk offers to buy Twitter

Newsflash: Billionaire Elon Musk has made an offer to buy Twitter.

And... Elon Musk pulls out of deal! Hardly a surprise - it has been telegraphed for ages.

https://archive.ph/eYqeo
As Musk moves to abandon deal, Twitter faces ‘worst case scenario’
In attempting to walk away from the $44 billion acquisition, Elon Musk sets the stage for a legal battle, which could carry financial risks for the social network and further darken employee morale
I don't agree with the headline or the thrust of the article. I think Musk is the one who is in bother. Twitter - like the whole of Tech - is suffering from a depressed stock price. Musk is not pulling out because of (some made up reasons about) bots. No, he is pulling our because his offer is ridiculously above what is a sensible price for the platform because of those depressed stock prices.

I expect that Twitter will take him to court (special arrangements in Delaware - it likely will take months to resolve, not years), and it will cost Musk a lot of money. Good!

https://www.axios.com/2022/07/08/elon-musk-twitter-deal-delaware-court-lawsuit
[...]

Musk was on the hook for 1 billion dollars if he backed out of the deal without good cause. Perhaps worse than this, his backing out might have seriously impacted his creditworthiness with investors and banks. And worse still, it was looking increasingly likely that the Delaware Courts of Chancery would force him to complete the deal as promised. In those circumstances, going through with the purchase 'by choice' might have looked like the least painful option.

[...]
It is hard to say for absolute certain if buying Twitter was a publicity stunt. But given that Musk's offer - although a little above share price at the time - was way below what the share price had been a only few months earlier, it seems highly likely. The general consensus was that Twitter stock (along with 'Big Tech' in general) was undervalued at the time and would soon bounce back to the prices from a few months earlier. In those circumstances, it was thought that Twitter would simply turn down Musk's offer. However, unexpectedly, Twitter agreed and Musk was locked into a deal. The best case scenario was that Musk would be forced to pay $1bn in compensation outlined within the offer agreement. However, the Delaware Courts of Chancery seemed to telegraph that it would instead force Musk to go through with the deal. So, Musk could either voluntarily go through with the deal, or be forced to go through with it and suffer far greater damage to his personal and financial reputation. Musk never intended to buy Twitter and his game backfired. And that's fucking fantastic!

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #276 on: November 8, 2022, 11:37:31 am »
Elon Musk
@elonmusk
For Twitter to deserve public trust, it must be politically neutral, which effectively means upsetting the far right and the far left equally

6:38 am · 28 Apr 2022

Online Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #277 on: November 8, 2022, 11:51:01 am »
Until now I felt that Twitter was too big for Musk to really push people to a competitor, once there's a social media platform that everyone is on it's really difficult to get them to move elsewhere without offering something new. It's getting to the point however where a clone of the site might actually be able to take off as people move away from Twitter in protest in large enough numbers to gain a foothold and offer some genuine competition.

There are still a bunch of ways that Twitter can be improved upon too; account 'reputation', a landing page for each account to essentially provide a website within a website, better automatic moderation, a user-driven moderation system, better payment models, etc.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #278 on: November 8, 2022, 12:09:38 pm »
He is so out of his depth it's kind of sad.
Whatever Tony Stark charisma he developed for weirdos who fetishise these types, it's melting away. Now he feels he has to take sides, he feels like he can influence things, his ego can barely fit inside any given building he is in - and it's all going to crash around his ears. Simply put, he really isn't as clever or original as he may think he is.

Online So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #279 on: November 8, 2022, 12:10:23 pm »
He is so out of his depth it's kind of sad.
Whatever Tony Stark charisma he developed for weirdos who fetishise these types, it's melting away. Now he feels he has to take sides, he feels like he can influence things, his ego can barely fit inside any given building he is in - and it's all going to crash around his ears. Simply put, he really isn't as clever or original as he may think he is.

But his mother still loves him.