Author Topic: FSG discussion thread  (Read 761235 times)

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
Re: FSG discussion thread
« Reply #14320 on: June 14, 2023, 08:29:08 pm »
Yeah of course, i agree! my point was that some fans come across like they just want us to spend massive fees just for the sake of saying oh we spent more than 50mil on a player finally

Or is it just the likelihood that the budget is that small and being spread that thin that we are unable to go for players like Bellingham and Barella who would lift us instantly.

For me personally it is reminiscent of the summer Suarez left. Instead of spending our money on a direct replacement of similar ability we pissed it away on potential.

For me if we have a limited budget then it should be quality over quantity.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline djschembri

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14321 on: June 14, 2023, 08:32:32 pm »
I agree of course, but it feels like there's just been a bit of a change in the mood music and that's why people - myself included - are nervous. We really can't fuck this summer up. We really can't be mingebags with how we do it. Till we've got probably 4 players signed I can't say I'll feel comfortable, stupid as that may be with a fair while to go.
Exactly. MacAllister is a good start but he is just the start. Players of a certain level like Rice, Caicedo, Mount, Barella, are all seemingly available and on the market, but we dont seem to be able to a even if afford them if we wanted to.
And we knew 12 months ago that we needed a new centre back this summer so to read articles saying that it may not be doable this summer is dispiriting.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #14322 on: June 14, 2023, 08:40:09 pm »
Exactly. MacAllister is a good start but he is just the start. Players of a certain level like Rice, Caicedo, Mount, Barella, are all seemingly available and on the market, but we dont seem to be able to a even if afford them if we wanted to.
And we knew 12 months ago that we needed a new centre back this summer so to read articles saying that it may not be doable this summer is dispiriting.

Problem is everything is always left far too late which has a knock on effect on other positions. MacAllister was the sort of signing we need to make two years ago after Gini left, let alone last summer. If we'd sorted the midfield out the last two summers then we could concentrate more on the defence now. A position that needs strengthening always gets left.

We just don't compete at the top end of the market so have to make do and mend and pull off good financial deals and rabbits out of hats. As I said at the time if we can't afford Bellingham then we can't afford Rice or Caicedo either.

Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #14323 on: June 14, 2023, 08:40:30 pm »
You're not implying that a twitter rumor turned out not to be true are you?
This wasn’t even one of capon’s ;D
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #14324 on: June 14, 2023, 08:41:30 pm »

It is not just missing out on those quality players. It is a double whammy because they are likely to go to our rivals and seriously strengthen them. Making Klopps job even harder. You simply cannot get outspent season out and expect to compete

The brutal reality is that our rivals are likely to be shopping at Harrods whilst we look for bargains. They are looking at the finished article whilst we are banking on potential coming good.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2023, 08:43:28 pm by Al 666 »
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Redric1970

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #14325 on: June 14, 2023, 09:21:06 pm »
It's almost like we didn't sign Mac Allister for £35m last week.

And you think that’s enough?

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14326 on: June 14, 2023, 09:29:16 pm »
I get the feeling amongst some fans on here and twitter that they would of been happier had we spent £60million on him 😂
And I get the feeling some fans would rather we stayed a Europa team so they can remain secure in their supposed moral authority. We need a £60 million player or two to genuinely compete, I don't care what we pay for them.

Offline ac

• Headless chicken
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14327 on: June 14, 2023, 09:33:18 pm »
It is not just missing out on those quality players. It is a double whammy because they are likely to go to our rivals and seriously strengthen them. Making Klopps job even harder. You simply cannot get outspent season out and expect to compete

The brutal reality is that our rivals are likely to be shopping at Harrods whilst we look for bargains. They are looking at the finished article whilst we are banking on potential coming good.

To compound matters rivals mostly have better midfields than ours so our starting point is behind their starting point. I think we desperately need more proven quality in midfield not quantity or unproven youngsters. Most of the successful midfielders in recent memory we have bought been in the 23-27 year range (Alonso, Mascherano, Hamman, Fabhino) yet we seem to be focussing on a younger profile. The likes of Bajcetic, and the raft of under 21 players we are linked are all good players who may come good but it feels like a high risk strategy. I guess its a strategy borne out the fact we are out of the Champions League and havent got many saleable assets. The best thing that can happen this summer is that FSG get investors in because it feels like we are continuing to fall behind the rat race
« Last Edit: June 14, 2023, 09:37:09 pm by ac »

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #14328 on: June 14, 2023, 09:54:06 pm »
And you think that’s enough?

No, but I also think it's only 2 weeks into June.

Offline Sharado

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14329 on: June 14, 2023, 10:15:19 pm »
I guess the other thing with this summer is you could argue the toss with other windows that we maybe didn't spend in the wisest way, that klopp got the wrong people or the right people at the wrong time or whatever....I love Nunez but he cost a lot and didn't really improve us where we need to improve. But this summer it's not just about a couple of signings being right. We need probably 4 players to even be in the top 4 mix. You only get that many with a budget. This window is all about fsg.
Football, like life, isn't about getting what you want or even deserve. It's about appreciating what you have.

Offline Redric1970

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14330 on: June 14, 2023, 10:34:21 pm »
No, but I also think it's only 2 weeks into June.

So what’s the problem with wanting to be linked to barella who linked with a rival club, do we have to space the signings to one a month.

Offline BornRedSince76

• Main Stander
« Reply #14331 on: June 14, 2023, 10:48:17 pm »
If Mac is our only meaningful signing this summer then we’re screwed.  My concern is that we don’t seem to be strongly linked to other players and I don’t trust FSG.  We shall see.

Offline Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #14332 on: June 14, 2023, 10:49:21 pm »
I guess the other thing with this summer is you could argue the toss with other windows that we maybe didn't spend in the wisest way, that klopp got the wrong people or the right people at the wrong time or whatever....I love Nunez but he cost a lot and didn't really improve us where we need to improve. But this summer it's not just about a couple of signings being right. We need probably 4 players to even be in the top 4 mix. You only get that many with a budget. This window is all about fsg.

It is not just 4 players it is 4 players who can deliver in the here and now. Mac Allister is a good signing because he is the right age and a full international who has the potential to improve us straight away

For me the likes of Kone, Thuram and Veiga with no international experience, one full cap between them are the kind of players we should have brought in two or three years ago. So that they were 24-25 and ready to deliver now when we need them.

We don't need potential that may be good enough sometime in the future.

Posters keep mentioning the likes of Salah and Mane and trying to pretend we are doing the same now we aren't. They were players much further along in their development and crucially had bags of International experience and were seasoned CL and Europa League campaigners.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #14333 on: June 14, 2023, 10:51:09 pm »
So what’s the problem with wanting to be linked to barella who linked with a rival club, do we have to space the signings to one a month.

Nothing wrong with wanting to be linked, however I replied specifically to the comment "The days of us being the best/one of the best run clubs in the country seem long gone."

And I think my reply was valid.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14334 on: June 14, 2023, 10:54:00 pm »
If Mac is our only meaningful signing this summer then we’re screwed.  My concern is that we don’t seem to be strongly linked to other players and I don’t trust FSG.  We shall see.
We have been. No idea what you're looking at that tells we've not been linked to other people by relaible journos.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #14335 on: June 14, 2023, 10:56:53 pm »
We have been. No idea what you're looking at that tells we've not been linked to other people by relaible journos.

Must be living under one of them rocks.

Offline Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #14336 on: June 14, 2023, 11:15:21 pm »
Nothing wrong with wanting to be linked, however I replied specifically to the comment "The days of us being the best/one of the best run clubs in the country seem long gone."

And I think my reply was valid.

The best run club in the World doesn't sign Ben Davies, Ozan Kabak and Arthur Melo when they have huge issues
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14337 on: June 14, 2023, 11:27:37 pm »
Not that like sticking up for Craig but he was responding to a fella crying that Barella was "going to" Newcastle for 50 million and he responded with Mac coming to us for 35 just last week.  ;D

Offline Avens

• Look around you! Clearly knows his Gary Gum from his Anti-Gary Gum.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14338 on: June 14, 2023, 11:54:24 pm »
Not that like sticking up for Craig but he was responding to a fella crying that Barella was "going to" Newcastle for 50 million and he responded with Mac coming to us for 35 just last week.  ;D

It's absolutely incredible reading the replies to Craig's post. The movement of the goalposts is truly a sight to see. Newcastle being spuriously linked to Barella is not a sign that Liverpool are poorly run – that's all that was said and yet we've ended up with Al talking about Ben Davies, while Redric's angry that the transfer window has been open for one day and we've only signed one World Cup winner.  ;D
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now. - Jurgen Klopp

Offline Redric1970

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14339 on: June 15, 2023, 07:18:19 am »
It's absolutely incredible reading the replies to Craig's post. The movement of the goalposts is truly a sight to see. Newcastle being spuriously linked to Barella is not a sign that Liverpool are poorly run – that's all that was said and yet we've ended up with Al talking about Ben Davies, while Redric's angry that the transfer window has been open for one day and we've only signed one World Cup winner.  ;D

That’s not angry I’m a really miserable fucker when I’m angry, what I responded to was the fact it’s ok we signed someone last week so it’s all good, it doesn't matter whether it’s last week or last month we need what we need, I remember when we signed John barnes the next day we went out and went for Peter Beardsley what difference does it make how quick it’s happened we need what we need that was my point not the fact we signed someone last week.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2023, 07:28:43 am by Redric1970 »

Offline LiamG

• He's loving angels instead. Cos through it all they offer him protection.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #14340 on: June 15, 2023, 07:32:38 am »
It's not that simple mate. I think most fans are wary of being let down again and again by FSG and are right to be skeptical. Mac Allister is a good signing. It's not a good window...yet.

It's a good window so far though! Considering not much else has happened with our PL rivals, And Mac Allister for 35m is a bargain!

Offline LiamG

• Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #14341 on: June 15, 2023, 07:35:52 am »
And I get the feeling some fans would rather we stayed a Europa team so they can remain secure in their supposed moral authority. We need a £60 million player or two to genuinely compete, I don't care what we pay for them.

You don't care what we pay but you want two £60mil players

makes sense :D

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14342 on: June 15, 2023, 07:59:39 am »
I think it's kinda unfair to go around and shout at FSG every time another team not only signs a player, but is even remotely linked with one. I do not care. I don't want to judge them comparatively. We have a pretty unique set of issues and problems to resolve this summer and how we tackle these problems is what they should be judged by.

Offline LiamG

• Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #14343 on: June 15, 2023, 08:03:19 am »
I think it's kinda unfair to go around and shout at FSG every time another team not only signs a player, but is even remotely linked with one. I do not care. I don't want to judge them comparatively. We have a pretty unique set of issues and problems to resolve this summer and how we tackle these problems is what they should be judged by.

Exactly, who cares what players other clubs are linked with, we just need to concentrate on ourselves! We have until september ffs, So far so good since we already have Mac Allister, hopefully more to follow soon!

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14344 on: June 15, 2023, 08:04:47 am »

But it would be easy to claim their parsimonious nature help create the issues and problems you want them to now solve.
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14345 on: June 15, 2023, 08:13:03 am »
But it would be easy to claim their parsimonious nature help create the issues and problems you want them to now solve.

We all know that. Nobody is disputing it. We dropped the ball on refreshing the squad. What part of it was Klopp overestimating his squad, what part was it  FSG penny pinching - who knows. Probably both in good measure. But right now, they do have a viable chance to fix it, window is barely open, so let's wait and see. I honestly have little faith left in them - but it still makes no sense to bitch and moan before the summer is not only over, but almost before it began.

Offline pathetic

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14346 on: June 15, 2023, 08:29:21 am »
Penny pinching is all well and good but it will come back to bite you someday and you might need to overspend to get back on a level playing field. This is where we're at. Using the money generated by the club to invest in our infrastructure is their way of putting money in their pocket. Buying a club for 300million and not wanting a penny less than 4 billion after putting in it the grand amount of zero is absolute greed. The thing is the lack of investment has come back to bite them as noone was willing to pay the price.

All the things they did could have easily been done with fan ownership (or not selling to the other Americans in the first place). So what exactly are they offering? We didn't need FSG to realise we needed to improve the infrastructure. Or make the ground bigger. Or that Klopp was a brilliant manager. So what exactly are they offering?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2023, 08:31:11 am by pathetic »

Offline Avens

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14347 on: June 15, 2023, 08:33:44 am »
That’s not angry I’m a really miserable fucker when I’m angry, what I responded to was the fact it’s ok we signed someone last week so it’s all good, it doesn't matter whether it’s last week or last month we need what we need, I remember when we signed John barnes the next day we went out and went for Peter Beardsley what difference does it make how quick it’s happened we need what we need that was my point not the fact we signed someone last week.

The point is Craig wasn't saying that signing Mac Allister was enough and we shouldn't expect any more signings. Your response would've made sense if it appeared that we weren't signing any more players but we clearly will be. It's two days into the transfer window. Let's settle down a touch.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14348 on: June 15, 2023, 08:38:08 am »
The point is Craig wasn't saying that signing Mac Allister was enough and we shouldn't expect any more signings. Your response would've made sense if it appeared that we weren't signing any more players but we clearly will be. It's two days into the transfer window. Let's settle down a touch.
You've posted 24 times on this one topic (FSG/this window) in the last day ;)

Offline DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14349 on: June 15, 2023, 09:04:57 am »

;D Indeed.

Offline PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #14350 on: June 15, 2023, 09:18:59 am »
Barrella going to Newcastle for £50m. The days of us being the best/one of the best run clubs in the country seem long gone.

ANother "we need to win the transfer window" type of post. FML.

WE WON'T SIGN EVERY SINGLE PLAYER, SOME PLAYERS WILL GO TO OTHER CLUBS/YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT WAGES AND PERKS ARE BEING OFFERED. FUUUUUUUCK MEEEE.

Offline Avens

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14351 on: June 15, 2023, 09:24:02 am »

Most of that has been clown gifs though.

Offline Tombellylfc

• Kopite
  • YNWA
« Reply #14352 on: June 15, 2023, 09:27:04 am »
ANother "we need to win the transfer window" type of post. FML.

WE WON'T SIGN EVERY SINGLE PLAYER, SOME PLAYERS WILL GO TO OTHER CLUBS/YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT WAGES AND PERKS ARE BEING OFFERED. FUUUUUUUCK MEEEE.

Also worth noting that 50 million fee is being laughed at back in Italy. If he moves its going to be 70 million+ at least by the sounds of it

Offline Tombellylfc

• Kopite
  • YNWA
« Reply #14353 on: June 15, 2023, 09:29:59 am »
Good player but thats not enough and you know it. We should be all over the likes of Barella and Caicedo. We also are in desperate need of a number 6 set have apparently decided the Fabinho's sharp decline last season didnt happen.
I don't understand why people like you bother with football. Negative moaning for the sake of moaning. The window literally just opened. Honestly wish the mods would just block people like you. You need to grow up.

Offline Avens

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14354 on: June 15, 2023, 09:33:17 am »
I don't understand why people like you bother with football. Negative moaning for the sake of moaning. The window literally just opened. Honestly wish the mods would just block people like you. You need to grow up.

Careful now, you'll be accused of being El Lobo with that anti-negativity rhetoric.

Offline Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #14355 on: June 15, 2023, 09:45:08 am »
Exactly, who cares what players other clubs are linked with, we just need to concentrate on ourselves! We have until september ffs, So far so good since we already have Mac Allister, hopefully more to follow soon!

It isn't just about what we do though. The clubs we are trying to compete with are in for midfield players in a higher bracket than we are. Concentrating on ourselves and improving by 5% is pointless if our rivals sign better players than us and improve by 10%.

The pivotal moments in our history under FSG was signing VVD and Ali. Not just because they improved us but it stopped them going to our rivals.

If we pull out of the VVD ala Bellingham then he goes to City and for me winning the league in 19/20 doesn't happen.

Same with Ali imagine him going to Chelsea instead of Kepa.

This summer there are a number of top drawer experienced centre mids available. The likes of Bellingham, Rice, Caicedo, Barella and even Mount from a home grown point of view.

It should be a dream scenario for us like when VVD was available when we needed a centre back or that Ali was available when we needed a keeper.

The problem though is we haven't got the Coutinho money. The owners won't invest so instead of competing with our rivals we are scrambling around in the bargain basement targeting the kind of players a wolves or Southampton would target.

Talented players who we are prepared to take a punt on even though we know deep down they are unlikely to bridge the chasm between our midfield and our rivals. FSG are prepared to do that knowing our rivals are shopping at the top end of the market.

"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Avens

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14356 on: June 15, 2023, 09:50:05 am »
It isn't just about what we do though. The clubs we are trying to compete with are in for midfield players in a higher bracket than we are. Concentrating on ourselves and improving by 5% is pointless if our rivals sign better players than us and improve by 10%.

The pivotal moments in our history under FSG was signing VVD and Ali. Not just because they improved us but it stopped them going to our rivals.

If we pull out of the VVD ala Bellingham then he goes to City and for me winning the league in 19/20 doesn't happen.

Same with Ali imagine him going to Chelsea instead of Kepa.

This summer there are a number of top drawer experienced centre mids available. The likes of Bellingham, Rice, Caicedo, Barella and even Mount from a home grown point of view.

It should be a dream scenario for us like when VVD was available when we needed a centre back or that Ali was available when we needed a keeper.

The problem though is we haven't got the Coutinho money. The owners won't invest so instead of competing with our rivals we are scrambling around in the bargain basement targeting the kind of players a wolves or Southampton would target.

Talented players who we are prepared to take a punt on even though we know deep down they are unlikely to bridge the chasm between our midfield and our rivals. FSG are prepared to do that knowing our rivals are shopping at the top end of the market.

What signings have other clubs made this window that have you so envious, Al?

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14357 on: June 15, 2023, 09:50:31 am »
Careful now, you'll be accused of being El Lobo with that anti-negativity rhetoric.
Unrelated to your post, but this phrase struck me - I think some people are of the mistaken belief that 'anti-negativity rhetoric' is positive somehow

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #14358 on: June 15, 2023, 10:02:24 am »
The elephant in the room is Nunez.  Last summer there were some top drawer centre forwards available and we bought one of the most sought after for a lot of money.  And we don't know what to do with him.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14359 on: June 15, 2023, 10:09:59 am »
We all know that. Nobody is disputing it. We dropped the ball on refreshing the squad. What part of it was Klopp overestimating his squad, what part was it  FSG penny pinching - who knows. Probably both in good measure. But right now, they do have a viable chance to fix it, window is barely open, so let's wait and see. I honestly have little faith left in them - but it still makes no sense to bitch and moan before the summer is not only over, but almost before it began.

Honest question and I dont have an an answer to it, but what does fixing it look like?
I dont want to do Tepid out of a job, but were not signing Bellingham

As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.