Author Topic: Labour Thread  (Read 179454 times)

Offline Circa1892

• Real Madrid 0 - 1 Liverpool - Parc des Princes, 27th May 1981 Remember?... About as intimidating as Bambi.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Labour Thread
« Reply #2120 on: February 27, 2023, 08:43:56 pm »
Weren't they Far Right fascists and nothing to do with The Labour Party? 🤔

We all remember the day we woke up, signed up for a football forum and had to make the decision of whether to mark our first post talking about the relative merits of Gerrard, Souness and Biscan or instead joining an old cyclical argument in the forums sub-forum Labour thread.

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2121 on: February 27, 2023, 08:44:02 pm »
You'll get one next election. Probably. They might not do very much but they'll be there. And it'll be better than the Tories, because that what they've positioned themselves to be - a better version of the Tories. Not to challenge any of the Tory assumptions about the country, the economy or society.

That's the issue, there's only so long you can bodge it before everyone realises the system itself needs some serious structural change (lots of people already have) rather than just some meaningless PR fluff about your 'missions' or your tool-making Dad or the size of your flag.

And if you block that change coming from the left, then people are just going to inevitably turn to the right. Which is always bad news.

Change to the system like what mate?  Are the left campaigning on different policies to the party? 

That last paragraph doesn't make sense either.  Do you mean the far left will become racist fascists to somehow get their own way 🤷 

Offline Father Ted

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2122 on: February 27, 2023, 08:50:04 pm »
Change to the system like what mate?  Are the left campaigning on different policies to the party? 

That last paragraph doesn't make sense either.  Do you mean the far left will become racist fascists to somehow get their own way 🤷 

No I mean the electorate will look for solutions, to a system that's fucked and failing them.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #2123 on: February 27, 2023, 08:54:37 pm »
What difference did he make? Seriously. Seems like it was all wiped away in an instant the minute the coalition took charge. What are people meant to do, burn their cherished pictures of ye old Sure Start centres for warmth to get them through the fifteen years until Labour decide they've got a right-wing enough Leader to actually pull behind? The economy fucking exploded and killed that style of politics stone dead, wiping away any good feelings most people might have had. And I'm not saying that was Labour's fault, although it does seem like a massive rebuttal to their 'let the market decide' mantra.

You read like you've swallowed some cliched Labour right book about those glorious Britpoppin', New Labour days and are just regurgitating it randomly into the thread. It was shite, a wasted opportunity. Being better than the Tories isn't exactly some miraculous achievement only St. Tone could deliver, they don't even attempt to make things better except for them and their class. Of course New Labour was better than that. I thought they were better, they were - because anything would be.

You might not be attempting to change the world, but the Tories are and every time they get in they push it further and further. All you're doing is fighting a doomed rearguard action, always on the defensive.

That's the point mate. You have no idea what difference he made because it didn't affect you. How would you know?

I went through the shite that was Thatcher and as a kid was at the bottom. I can replay the same story again and again, but for you it means nothing.

We have choices - either were too young in which case you don't know. You weren't in a position to benefit because you were unaffected in which case you don't know. Or you do know and lived through it and idealogy defeated anything good that improved life for the worst off.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline TerenceTrentDerby

• Kemlynite
« Reply #2124 on: February 27, 2023, 08:55:18 pm »
Three found guilty were.  Two were from the left.
Sorry, who are the two from the left who threatened death to Luciana?

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2125 on: February 27, 2023, 08:57:09 pm »
No I mean the electorate will look for solutions, to a system that's fucked and failing them.

Let's get them in first before deciding 5yrs early that they've failed us.

Offline Father Ted

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2126 on: February 27, 2023, 08:59:49 pm »
Well, I am cynical.

Maybe a giant flag and a growth target will help, who knows. I don't mean to argue or make out like a c*nt. I accept New Labour were better than the Tories (again, I'd say what isn't?) and admit I was too young to even vote for the party back then.

My experience was that it was a disappointment, but whatever.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #2127 on: February 27, 2023, 09:01:54 pm »
Let's get them in first before deciding 5yrs early that they've failed us.
Well, I am cynical.

Maybe a giant flag and a growth target will help, who knows. I don't mean to argue or make out like a c*nt. I accept New Labour were better than the Tories (again, I'd say what isn't?) and admit I was too young to even vote for the party back then.

Well I and people liived through it mate and Thatchers Britain was fucking grim

Beyond belief and horrific

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #2128 on: February 27, 2023, 09:03:02 pm »
read the thread back.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Father Ted

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2129 on: February 27, 2023, 09:03:23 pm »
So's now though, and Labour decided five years of petty in-fighting was the desired course of action.

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2130 on: February 27, 2023, 09:03:44 pm »
Well, I am cynical.

I think like Andy says, it depends how low the starting point is whether you're disappointed.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #2131 on: February 27, 2023, 09:04:38 pm »
So's now though, and Labour decided five years of petty in-fighting was the desired course of action.

Agree there. The Right might be c*nts but they are united and work together well.o

It's easy when you want to fuck everyone but yourself

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #2132 on: February 27, 2023, 09:05:37 pm »
I think like Andy says, it depends how low the starting point is whether you're disappointed.
The 70s.  Terrible
The 80s. Terrible
The 90s mostly terrible
The naughties. Great.
The 10s. Terrible
The 20s terrible.

If only there were some link.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #2133 on: February 27, 2023, 09:07:13 pm »
Three found guilty were.  Two were from the left.

The poster was right Tepid. Far Left, Far Right.....there's no difference. Mindless conspiratorial, anti-semitic, authoritarian bollocks on both sides.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2134 on: February 27, 2023, 09:07:25 pm »
Amazing what the mere mention of Luciana Berger has done to exercise some people. Even inspired more passion than our team has for TTD, and compelled them to make their first posts about her.
One of them is probably Philip Hayes. The other doesn't appear to have been named.

Either way, weird first couple of posts pal - you in Wavertree by any chance?

• Kemlynite
« Reply #2135 on: February 27, 2023, 09:08:46 pm »
read the thread back.
No thanks! 😁

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2136 on: February 27, 2023, 09:09:56 pm »

Was precisely my point earlier.  It's like a primary school playground with how petty and childish the bickering is.

You've got the Tory's still blaming labour for everything that's wrong today and you've got labour still blaming labour for the mess the next labour government won't ever be able to sort out.

We could learn something from those Tory's but the left won't let us 🤷

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #2137 on: February 27, 2023, 09:13:03 pm »
Was precisely my point earlier.  It's like a primary school playground with how petty and childish the bickering is.

You've got the Tory's still blaming labour for everything that's wrong today and you've got labour still blaming labour for the mess the next labour government won't ever be able to sort out.

We could learn something from those Tory's but the left won't let us 🤷

You will notice that many don't do that. Only certain people. Corbyn really did fuck us and the Right are laughing their heads off for fucks sake

When he was saying Ukraine should do the decent thing the other day. What a c*nt.

• Kemlynite
« Reply #2138 on: February 27, 2023, 09:14:15 pm »
The poster was right Tepid. Far Left, Far Right.....there's no difference. Mindless conspiratorial, anti-semitic, authoritarian bollocks on both sides.
Amazing what the mere mention of Luciana Berger has done to exercise some people. Even inspired more passion than our team has for TTD, and compelled them to make their first posts about her.One of them is probably Philip Hayes. The other doesn't appear to have been named.

Either way, weird first couple of posts pal - you in Wavertree by any chance?
Wasnt Phil Hayes convicted in 2012? Sorry how do we know the political persuasion if the other isnt identified?

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2139 on: February 27, 2023, 09:16:17 pm »

It's fairly common political thinking that if people feel left behind/ignored, they start drifting to the far right.  You must remember, many far right economic 'policy' (be that bullshit or real) can often be more left wing than centrist stuff.

People are also more suceptible to populist policies, when they feel disenfranchised.

It's been written that Blair and Brown started to lose the Red Wall on their watch.  What we did have under them was a well-functioning benefits system though.  This was a main reason why people weren't dying and destitute.  I needed it back then and was very grateful.

We don't have that anymore, under the Tories.

Also, the system is designed to make the rich richer, and the poor poorer.  After every single economic shock, such as Covid, CoL crisis, or the GFC in 2008, inequality has seen a massive spike.

Saying all this, the facts are that the country cannopt afford another Tory government and the thought is so despressing for me, I haven't even entertained the idea.

I don't care if I don't agree with everything they currently say.  The country is currently on it's fucking knees!!
« Last Edit: February 27, 2023, 09:17:50 pm by Red-Soldier »

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2140 on: February 27, 2023, 09:17:29 pm »
You will notice that many don't do that. Only certain people. Corbyn really did fuck us and the Right are laughing their heads off for fucks sake

When he was saying Ukraine should do the decent thing the other day. What a c*nt.

I know mate but I don't hold out much hope of them uniting once the chance arises to make a difference.  They'll still be bickering about something they don't like or agree with.

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Batshit fucker and Chief Yuletide Porcine Voyeur
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2141 on: February 27, 2023, 09:19:28 pm »
We all remember the day we woke up, signed up for a football forum and had to make the decision of whether to mark our first post talking about the relative merits of Gerrard, Souness and Biscan or instead joining an old cyclical argument in the forums sub-forum Labour thread.
;D

But to be fair:

https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=327632.msg14759799#msg14759799

:-X
would rather have a wank wearing a barb wire glove
If you're chasing thrills, try a bit of auto-asphyxiation with a poppers-soaked orange in your gob.

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2142 on: February 27, 2023, 09:22:21 pm »
Wasnt Phil Hayes convicted in 2012? Sorry how do we know the political persuasion if the other isnt identified?
It was identified from their twitter profile.

I'm happy to take Berger at her word anyway. Certainly more inclined to trust her word over some online conspiracists in 2018 (or 2023) acting like it's made up anyway. Good news though, the EHRC who investigated this have now concluded that Labour can be taken out of special measures, so there's a lot of progress in the right direction).

Sadly over the years I've witnessed antisemitism online from Labour supporters. Before then also almost got battered by one of our fans and his mate for having a go at the antisemitic c*nt at Madrid away (Benayoun later scored, and they celebrated).

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2143 on: February 27, 2023, 09:23:21 pm »
It's fairly common political thinking that if people feel left behind/ignored, they start drifting to the far right.  You must remember, many far right economic 'policy' (be that bullshit or real) can often be more left wing than centrist stuff.

People are also more suceptible to populist policies, when they feel disenfranchised.

It's been written that Blair and Brown started to lose the Red Wall on their watch.  What we did have under them was a well-functioning benefits system though.  This was a main reason why people weren't dying and destitute.  I needed it back then and was very grateful.

Also, the system is designed to make the rich richer, and the poor poorer.  After every single economic shock, such as Covid, CoL crisis, or the GFC in 2008, inequality has seen a massive spike.

Saying all this, the facts are that the country cannopt afford another Tory government and the thought is so despressing for me, I haven't even entertained the idea.

I don't care if I don't agree with everything they currently say.  The country is currently on it's fucking knees!!

Yeah I guess that makes sense mate and I agree with you too, let's get those fuckers out and start to get back on track. 

Hopefully everyone that's fucked off also gets behind whatever they try to do.

• Kemlynite
« Reply #2144 on: February 27, 2023, 09:25:49 pm »
Im not arguing with anyone. Im just trying to find out who the left wing anti semitic scum who threatened Luciana are!
I'll bow out of thread if its causing concern. 👍

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Batshit fucker and Chief Yuletide Porcine Voyeur
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2145 on: February 27, 2023, 09:26:16 pm »
Well I and people liived through it mate and Thatchers Britain was fucking grim

Beyond belief and horrific
Yep. I never liked Blair on a personal level, but his Government was an massive night and day change and improvement over the Tory years. I'd only add that I think that the past 12 years have been even worse than the Thatcher years. And I lived through that utter shite of no jobs and no hope.
would rather have a wank wearing a barb wire glove
If you're chasing thrills, try a bit of auto-asphyxiation with a poppers-soaked orange in your gob.

Offline Sudden Death Draft Loser

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2146 on: February 27, 2023, 09:29:42 pm »
Yep. I never liked Blair on a personal level, but his Government was an massive night and day change and improvement over the Tory years. I'd only add that I think that the past 12 years have been even worse than the Thatcher years. And I lived through that utter shite of no jobs and no hope.

Totally agree, this lot make Thatcher seem moderate.

And I also lived through the Thatcher years.
"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2147 on: February 27, 2023, 09:36:36 pm »
Im not arguing with anyone. Im just trying to find out who the left wing anti semitic scum who threatened Luciana are!
I'll bow out of thread if its causing concern.
So sincere!

Another of the scumbags on the left is named Nick Nelson by the way. Got a suspended sentence.

Curious though, was it the suspensions of Nina Houghton (supportive pal of filthy scumbag Chris Williamson) and Hazuan Hashim over their response to Luciana Berger's abuse that got you worked up to post? Or the expulsions of Kevin Bean and Helen Dickson (these four were members of the Wavertree Constituency Labour Party before you ask their political persuasion!)

Another one associated with Wavertree CLP was former chair Alex Scott-Samuel who appeared on David Icke's conspiracy theory show and spouted off about the Rothschild trope

If you're still dubious about people on the left being just a little bit unsavoury, give this a read. That CLP in particular seems to have been a bit of a cesspool

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/feb/23/liverpool-wavertree-labour-constituency-antisemitism-luciana-berger-derek-hatton
« Last Edit: February 27, 2023, 09:42:45 pm by classycarra »

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2148 on: February 27, 2023, 09:37:45 pm »
Fuck me, the SNP will be glad Labour are still having this infighting to take away the spotlight from their shitshow.  ;D

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2149 on: February 27, 2023, 09:40:52 pm »

Same here re Thatcher.  I was 19 with the world at my feet and instead had 20yrs of shite.  Redundancy, house repossessed, domestic violence, divorce.

• Kemlynite
« Reply #2150 on: February 27, 2023, 09:44:15 pm »
I'm not worked up mate. I happened upon the thread and just wanted to know who the left wing anti semitic thugs mentioned are. Ive been told the names now (although the piss head Phil Hayes was in 2012 and was he ever a member if the Labour Party?) Thanks for the info. 👍

Offline Father Ted

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2151 on: February 27, 2023, 09:47:18 pm »
Labour aren't infighting though. Labour voters are. It's completely irrelevant to anyone outside of those bubbles, and the media have moved on from reporting on every raised voice in any CLP anywhere in the land.

Labour MP's united behind Starmer, because that was mostly what they wanted from 2010 onwards - only those pesky irritating members ruined it by continually voting against their preferred Labour right candidates.

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2152 on: February 27, 2023, 09:48:23 pm »
In what way were constant leadership challenges

I remember Corbyn facing 1 leadership challenge during his 5 years as leader. Corbyn, McDonnell and Abbott used to rotate leadership challenges against whoever was Labour leader. I saw a quote in the FT from Corbyn regarding a leadership challenge against Blair not 12 months after the latter had won a general election with a landslide.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2153 on: February 27, 2023, 09:49:38 pm »
I'm not worked up mate. I happened upon the thread and just wanted to know who the left wing anti semitic thugs mentioned are. Ive been told the names now (although the piss head Phil Hayes was in 2012 and was he ever a member if the Labour Party?) Thanks for the info. 👍
Very welcome!

You seem to know Phil Hayes, guess you could ask him his politics?

Can't say I understand your repeated 2012 point? You seemed to take issue with the claim people on the left having received convictions for these crimes, didn't realise you were only interested in certain years.

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2154 on: February 27, 2023, 09:50:04 pm »
Well, I am cynical.

I can see why some people were disappointed over Labour not rescinding trade union laws, upping min wage etc, problem is they judge these things in isolation, no understanding on the main political issues at the time, the consequences on unemployment etc.
It's all ancient history now but people defended the indefensible. I had no problem with unemployed people doing a bit of work on the side for a few bob but  I would never deny people chose a life on the dole, many did, arguing it was all rubbish made up by the Torys to attack the working class, it was infuriating to hear as everyone saw it happening around them daily, it gave the Torys all the ammo they needed to hammer the genuine people down on their luck. that's what really sickens me about Thatchers Torys, they went after the easy touches under the pretence of going after the abusers, the genuine people who didn't know how to fight back.
Chris Bryant

It feels as if the major from Fawlty Towers has taken over the Tory campaign.
10:42 PM · May 25, 2024
·

Online west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #2155 on: February 27, 2023, 09:52:46 pm »

There’s a lot of data to suggest wealth inequality actually got worse under the last Labour government, everyone may have been better off, but the share between the top and bottom moved in the favour of the top although whether that’s a good thing or bad thing can be argued as everyone was generally better off. And they absolutely fucked up the housing market, house prices went from 4 times the average salary to 8 by 2007, even after the crash they were still over 7. Hopefully that lesson has been learned.
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #2156 on: February 27, 2023, 09:54:04 pm »
Labour aren't infighting though. Labour voters are. It's completely irrelevant to anyone outside of those bubbles, and the media have moved on from reporting on every raised voice in any CLP anywhere in the land.

Labour MP's united behind Starmer, because that was mostly what they wanted from 2010 onwards - only those pesky irritating members ruined it by continually voting against their preferred Labour right candidates.

Can you explain that please - what are you implying here?

I must admit that if someone called me a Tory thesedays in a pub I'd spark the c*nt.

Offline Father Ted

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2157 on: February 27, 2023, 09:55:00 pm »
That the PLP is to the right of the membership?

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2158 on: February 27, 2023, 09:55:17 pm »
Conjecture from an unreliable witness. You'd be a fella saying Blair made no difference. For those living in poverty and those working in public services, health care and a load of other places and those that at the bottom, Labour made a massive difference.

I've had this discussion with some of my Left mates that were affluent, came from rich/middle class neighbourhoods and thought no difference was made. I lived at the bottom in some shitholes with stuff you wouldn't even believe today. I don't want Labour to change the world. The vision means nothing if you're not in a position to change anything.

But you won't give Labour a chance. Is it all or nothing for you? Labour reversing the damage is the best we can hope for. Could Corbyn have made things better in some ways? Yeah I  think so, but after allowing Ukraine to be defeated, NATO would have stepped up and escalations and an arms race would have been a likely outcome.

Appeasers don't end wars. They guarantee them.

It really annoys me whenever people say that Blair's government made no real difference, only changed things a little when radical change was needed, etc. Revolutionary change doesn't win elections, but said "little change" was felt most by those who were most vulnerable. It's the difference between those who want practical change and who are willing to tolerate much compromise in order to get that, and those who are only happy with their theories enacted.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline Robinred

• Wanted for burglary.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red since '64
« Reply #2159 on: February 27, 2023, 09:59:59 pm »
Fuck me, the SNP will be glad Labour are still having this infighting to take away the spotlight from their shitshow.  ;D

Except it’s not Labour Party infighting - the far left and Momentum have been largely marginalised. It’s this-particular-thread-on-a football-forum nonsense, where the usual suspects occasionally saunter in, throw a little grenade, and saunter out again. And even though the odd one grudgingly concedes that anything is better than the Tories - most particularly the current appalling manifestation - the palpable disdain for the centre left is as predictable as it’s scathing dismissiveness of Starmer, and his being an ‘heir’ to Blair (not that “centre left” ever appears in the vocabulary).

"The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology...as long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth." Mikhail Bakunin