Author Topic: Civil Rights Campaigner Roy Hackett has died aged 93. Please read.  (Read 791 times)

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
He's not a household name but he was an important civil rights activist in 1960s Britain. Stories like the Bristol Bus Boycott are reminders of the depth of racism that existed in this country 60 years ago (in my lifetime) across all society from the aristocracy to the working class.

A 'colour bar', operated by the Bristol Omnibus Company, barred black employees from being bus crew and forced them into roles as cleaners and canteen staff. What might seem hard to believe now is that the colour bar was supported by the unions, with the TGWU reported as saying that "...if one black man steps on the platform as a conductor, every wheel will stop...”

Bristol bus boycott organiser Roy Hackett dies aged 93

Civil rights campaigner Roy Hackett, described as a "humble freedom fighter", has died at the age of 93.

Mr Hackett was one of the organisers of the Bristol Bus Boycott, a successful campaign to overturn a ban by Bristol Omnibus Company on employing black and Asian drivers and conductors.

He once said: "I lived in many places before I came to Bristol, and I never had racism as tough as back then."

Born in Jamaica, he was appointed an MBE in 2009 and an OBE in 2020.

Mr Hackett, who was the co-founder of the Commonwealth Coordinated Committee which set up the St Paul's Carnival in 1968, leaves behind three children.

LaToyah McAllister-Jones, executive director of the St Paul's Carnival, said: "Rest In Power, Mr Roy Hackett.

"You have inspired so many, your service and dedication to your community lives on through us all."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-62397167

More detail about the Bristol Bus Boycott here:

https://www.blackhistorymonth.org.uk/article/section/civil-rights-movement/the-bristol-bus-boycott-of-1963/
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Batshit fucker and Chief Yuletide Porcine Voyeur
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Civil Rights Campaigner Roy Hackett has died aged 93. Please read.
« Reply #1 on: August 3, 2022, 04:50:45 pm »
RIP, Mr Hackett.
would rather have a wank wearing a barb wire glove
If you're chasing thrills, try a bit of auto-asphyxiation with a poppers-soaked orange in your gob.

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: August 3, 2022, 05:43:35 pm »
I confess to never having heard of Roy Hackett until today.  He sounds like a very impressive and brave man!

As you say, Alan, it wasn't all that long ago and show's that, despite some blips, as a country we've come a long way.

RIP Roy.  A life well lived.

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: August 3, 2022, 09:40:08 pm »
I hadn’t heard of him but have read a fair few articles since his passing. RIP.

Offline Wild Romany Boy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: August 4, 2022, 04:19:05 pm »
He was a wonderful man and I am pleased that Alan has taken the time to highlight that.

May he rest in power.

Offline Rhi

• Rhisuscitated
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2022, 01:55:49 pm »
I have been wracking my brain trying to work out where I heard an interview with him and heard his story for the first time, and I think it's in the book (audiobook in this particular instance) "Why I'm No Longer Talking to White People About Race", if anyone's interested.

RIP.
“Above all, I would like to be remembered as a man who was selfless, who strove and worried so that others could share the glory, and who built up a family of people who could hold their heads up high and say 'We're Liverpool'.” - Bill Shankly

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2022, 03:09:02 pm »
I read about him a couple of years ago and was horrified that the TGWU actively supported a racist colour bar.