Poll

Vote for your two favourites movie line-ups (any two).

NICHOLLS1986
14 (37.8%)
Sheer Magnetism
12 (32.4%)
red mongoose
7 (18.9%)
vivabobbygraham
4 (10.8%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Voting closed: August 4, 2022, 03:45:23 pm

Author Topic: 90s movies draft - VOTING (Group C)  (Read 1264 times)

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
90s movies draft - VOTING (Group C)
« on: August 3, 2022, 03:45:23 pm »
NICHOLLS1986

True Romance (1993) - Cat 1. Action/War/Western, The Usual Suspects (1995) - Cat 2. Thriller/Crime, Dances with Wolves (1990) - Cat 3. Adventure/Fantasy,
Good Will Hunting (1997) - Cat 4. Drama/Romance, The Truman Show (1998) - Cat 5. Comedy/ Musical, Scream (1996) - Cat 6. Horror/Sci-Fi,
The End of Evangelion (1997) - Cat 7. Animation/Family, American History X (1998) - Cat 8. Wildcard

True Romance - Cat 1. Action/War/Western
(1993) Dir. Tony Scott

The Usual Suspects - Cat 2. Thriller/Crime
(1995) Dir. Bryan Singer

Dances with Wolves - Cat 3. Adventure/Fantasy
(1990) Dir. Kevin Costner

Good Will Hunting - Cat 4. Drama/Romance
(1997) Dir. Gus Van Sant

The Truman Show - Cat 5. Comedy/ Musical
(1998) Dir. Peter Weir

Scream - Cat 6. Horror/Sci-Fi
(1996) Dir. Wes Craven

The End of Evangelion - Cat 7. Animation/Family
(1997) Dir. Hideaki Anno, Kazuya Tsurumaki

American History X - Cat 8. Wildcard
(1998) Dir. Tony Kaye

Sheer Magnetism

Point Break (1991) - Cat 1. Action/War/Western, Goodfellas (1990) - Cat 2. Thriller/Crime, The Fifth Element (1997) - Cat 3. Adventure/Fantasy,
Leaving Las Vegas (1995) - Cat 4. Drama/Romance, Wayne's World (1990) - Cat 5. Comedy/ Musical, Army of Darkness (1993) - Cat 6. Horror/Sci-Fi,
Princess Mononoke (1997) - Cat 7. Animation/Family, Being John Malkovich (1999) - Cat 8. Wildcard

Point Break (1991) - Cat 1. Action/War/Western

Goodfellas (1990) - Cat 2. Thriller/Crime

The Fifth Element (1997) - Cat 3. Adventure/Fantasy

Leaving Las Vegas (1995) - Cat 4. Drama/Romance

Wayne's World (1990) - Cat 5. Comedy/ Musical

Army of Darkness (1993) - Cat 6. Horror/Sci-Fi

Princess Mononoke (1997) - Cat 7. Animation/Family

Being John Malkovich (1999) - Cat 8. Wildcard

red mongoose

The Last of the Mohicans (1992) - Cat 1. Action/War/Western, Miller's Crossing (1990) - Cat 2. Thriller/Crime, A Life Less Ordinary (1997) - Cat 3. Adventure/Fantasy,
JFK (1991) - Cat 4. Drama/Romance, Postman Blues(1997) - Cat 5. Comedy/ Musical, Audition (1999) - Cat 6. Horror/Sci-Fi, Ninja Scroll (1993) - Cat 7. Animation/Family,
Titanic (1997) - Cat 8. Wildcard

Last of the Mohicans - Action/War/Western

Miller’s Crossing - Thriller/Crime

A Life Less Ordinary - Adventure/Fantasy

JFK - Drama/Romance

Postman Blues - Comedy/ Musical

Audition - Horror/Sci-Fi

Ninja Scroll - Animation/Family

Titanic - Wildcard

vivabobbygraham

Tombstone (1993) - Cat 1. Action/War/Western, The Shawshank Redemption (1994) - Cat 2. Thriller/Crime, Apollo 13 (1995) - Cat 3. Adventure/Fantasy,
Boogie Nights (1997) -  Cat 4. Drama/Romance, Coneheads (1993) - Cat 5. Comedy/Musical, Galaxy Quest (1999) - Cat 6. Horror/Sci-Fi,
Free Willy (1993) - Cat 7. Animation/Family, All About My Mother (1999) - Cat 8. Wildcard

Tombstone - Western - 1993 - Director: George P. Cosmatos

The Shawshank Redemption  - Crime - 1994 - Director: Frank Darabont

Apollo 13 - Adventure - Blockbuster - 1995 - Director: Ron Howard

Boogie Nights - Drama - 1997 - Director: Paul Thomas Anderson

Coneheads - Comedy - 1993 - Director: Steve Barron

Galaxy Quest - Sci-Fi - 1999 - Director: Dean Parisot

Free Willy - Family - 1993 - Director: Simon Wincer

All About My Mother - 1999 - Wildcard - Foreign - Low budget ($4,989,091 Wiki) Director: Pedro Almodóvar

« Last Edit: August 3, 2022, 03:51:08 pm by Lastrador »

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
Re: 90s movies draft - VOTING (Group C)
« Reply #1 on: August 3, 2022, 03:53:03 pm »
Some really excellent lists on this group. It's going to be a hard one to pick this one.

Offline RobbieRedman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: August 3, 2022, 04:21:08 pm »
NICHOLLS1986 in the first as he has the best selection in the draft my opinion/viewing. Sheers is very good too

2nd one can't judge haven't seen enough of either

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3 on: August 3, 2022, 04:52:52 pm »
I got almost everything I wanted in this draft so can't really complain. Tombstone and Boogie Nights are probably the two films in the rest of this selection I like the most but the other lists feel a little more consistent.

Offline dis_1

• Main Stander
« Reply #4 on: August 3, 2022, 06:21:11 pm »
Nicholls1986 was an easy first pick for me, as i had nearly all those films on my shortlist too, some outstanding films there. Sexond pick very hard, as mostly strong films to my tatse too, but went with sheer as it had a few films ive watched way more than once

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #5 on: August 3, 2022, 07:08:58 pm »
Sheer is my first choice from this group. Some all-time favourites in Goodfellas, Leaving Las Vegas and Being John Malkovich, coupled with some great campy choices in Point Break and The Fifth Element. Wayne's World and Army of Darkness are also hilarious movies. The only one I haven't seen is Princess Mononoke. A great and really diverse selection of movies.

NICHOLLS1986 has an excellent list too, perhaps with fewer favourites than Sheer but very solid all around. The Truman Show is probably the only movie I truly love, but True Romance, Dances with Wolves, Scream, Good Will Hunting and American History X are all movies I really like and highly respect. Not the biggest fan of The Usual Suspects I must say, but it's also a good movie. The End of Evangelion is my only miss from his list. (seeing a pattern here?)

The mongoose has a very interesting list, but also the one I'm least familiar with from the whole draft, although that's more to do with my own obliviousness than the quality of the films. Miller's Crossing is a great movie, and The Last of the Mohicans and Titanic are great popcorn flicks. Unfortunately, that's where my knowledge ends. JFK is a movie I have tried to watch over the years, and I did try this weekend too, but the long runtime just always ends up screwing me. I will try to watch it in the following days, as it's one of my biggest movie blind spots and I'm sure I will love it. Audition is another one that's been on my watchlist for years, but after watching Ichi the Killer and other Takashi Miike movies, it's one of those that I have consciously skipped because I know it will fuck me up. The rest of the list seems very intriguing. Postman Blues especially looks right up my alley.

Bobby has some of my favourite movies from the group, with Boogie Nights being probably my favourite entirely. Tombstone, The Shawshank Redemption and All About My Mother are also great movies I greatly respect. If I based my votes on those four, he would surely get my vote. but like in the case of the mongoose, I haven't watched the rest of his selection. Apollo seems like a decent watch, when the script is right I really like Ron Howard, but I can't really say the rest of the list is intriguing to me. Still a fine list and kudos on selecting All About my Mother with the last selection, and fitting in all the quotas in there.  ;D

So my votes go with Sheer and Nicholls.
« Last Edit: August 3, 2022, 07:18:07 pm by Lastrador »

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: August 3, 2022, 07:20:00 pm »
Great post Las. I went with Sheer and Nicholls as well but Nicholls being my first choice. The Usual Suspects and True Romance probably swung it for me as I love those two films. Both though have really strong films all over (though I haven't seen Dances with Wolves or The End of Evangelion).

Princess Mononoke is great Las, definitely worth watching, even if it's the English dub, which is really good and I'm not usually a fan of dubbing.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #7 on: August 3, 2022, 07:41:29 pm »
Great post Las. I went with Sheer and Nicholls as well but Nicholls being my first choice. The Usual Suspects and True Romance probably swung it for me as I love those two films. Both though have really strong films all over (though I haven't seen Dances with Wolves or The End of Evangelion).

Princess Mononoke is great Las, definitely worth watching, even if it's the English dub, which is really good and I'm not usually a fan of dubbing.
I'm sure it is. If this draft has teached me anything, is that I really have to watch more Japanese animation. I think I have watched Akira and a few others over the years, but ever since I was a kid I have seen very little anime. Seems like I'm missing out.

Offline red mongoose

• Every day he's funnelling. Twisted firestarter. Just once he'd like to get something right on here. We're waiting too. Everything he does, he does it for us!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Crawl in under the shadow of this red rock
« Reply #8 on: August 3, 2022, 09:25:01 pm »
Good battle, RAWKers. It went about as I expected, and probably the way it should have. Bob and I will be over in the corner playing checkers while the rest of you fight it out for silverware.
At the hole where he went in
Red-Eye called to Wrinkle-Skin.
Hear what little Red-Eye saith:
"Nag, come up and dance with death!'"

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: August 3, 2022, 09:33:00 pm »
See you in the 80's Mate.   :wave

Online Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #10 on: August 3, 2022, 10:23:20 pm »
Good battle, RAWKers. It went about as I expected, and probably the way it should have. Bob and I will be over in the corner playing checkers while the rest of you fight it out for silverware.

Never change, mate. I loved your leftfield selections. Especially Titanic  :D

Went for you and Sheer. Nicholls has a strong selection too, but I'm less into crime films so it doesn't appeal so much to my tastes. Sheer has probably my favourite selection in the whole draft. A perfect mix of dumb fun, great science fiction, outrageous performances and just excellent filmmaking.
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Offline red mongoose

• Every day he's funnelling. Twisted firestarter. Just once he'd like to get something right on here. We're waiting too. Everything he does, he does it for us!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Crawl in under the shadow of this red rock
« Reply #11 on: August 4, 2022, 12:56:24 am »
Never change, mate. I loved your leftfield selections. Especially Titanic  :D

Went for you and Sheer. Nicholls has a strong selection too, but I'm less into crime films so it doesn't appeal so much to my tastes. Sheer has probably my favourite selection in the whole draft. A perfect mix of dumb fun, great science fiction, outrageous performances and just excellent filmmaking.

Cheers, pal.  :thumbsup
At the hole where he went in
Red-Eye called to Wrinkle-Skin.
Hear what little Red-Eye saith:
"Nag, come up and dance with death!'"

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #12 on: August 4, 2022, 09:58:41 am »
Tricky. Scored without looking at names again.

First place is Bobby.

Second very tight between Nicholls and Sheer. The film’s I’ve seen of Sheer’s all scored highly, I just haven’t seen enough of them (my fault, not his!). Nicholls has a few real good mid to late 90s choices that again hits my nostalgic parts. Even Scream, can remember loads of us going to watch that at uni and it being a bit of a riot.True Romance, Usual Suspects, Truman Show, Good Will Hunting too, just very solid choices.

Despite Goodfellas (and Wayne’s World!)...sorry Sheer.

And Mongoose, again I’ve enjoyed the choices I’ve seen but too many I haven’t.

Biggest shock of the round was Bobby being a Frwe Willy kind of guy.

My favourite from each category:

True Romance/Point Break
Goodfellas/Shawshank
Apollo 13 (enjoyed the A Lufe Less Ordinary shout, and wins best title song)
Boogie Nights (stone cold classic)
Truman Show/Wayne’s World
Scream
Free Willy (by default, only one I’ve seen!)
Titanic just pips  American History X (very like for like)

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #13 on: August 4, 2022, 02:03:54 pm »
Bump

Online Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #14 on: August 4, 2022, 02:16:12 pm »
It's a pity only one team is going through in each of these match ups. I thought it was the top two originally. When people are voting for two teams it can sometimes skew results a little. e.g. Tubby and Musketeer being neck and neck in their group and then in a head to head Musketeer totally dominating. Would probably drag out too long if two were to go through though.
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The boys pen cured my acne
« Reply #15 on: August 4, 2022, 02:27:39 pm »
Tricky. Scored without looking at names again.

First place is Bobby.

Second very tight between Nicholls and Sheer. The film’s I’ve seen of Sheer’s all scored highly, I just haven’t seen enough of them (my fault, not his!). Nicholls has a few real good mid to late 90s choices that again hits my nostalgic parts. Even Scream, can remember loads of us going to watch that at uni and it being a bit of a riot.True Romance, Usual Suspects, Truman Show, Good Will Hunting too, just very solid choices.

Despite Goodfellas (and Wayne’s World!)...sorry Sheer.

And Mongoose, again I’ve enjoyed the choices I’ve seen but too many I haven’t.

Biggest shock of the round was Bobby being a Frwe Willy kind of guy.

My favourite from each category:

True Romance/Point Break
Goodfellas/Shawshank
Apollo 13 (enjoyed the A Lufe Less Ordinary shout, and wins best title song)
Boogie Nights (stone cold classic)
Truman Show/Wayne’s World
Scream
Free Willy (by default, only one I’ve seen!)
Titanic just pips  American History X (very like for like)

Bless you Nicky. Regarding Free Willy, as can be recognised by my choice of films, I'm a sucker for tears of anguish, despair and joy in the same movie!

...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: August 4, 2022, 02:32:07 pm »

I'm used to going out early, red, so I read a book...

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: August 4, 2022, 02:43:06 pm »
Forgot to say, Galaxy Quest was a nice pick Bobby, one of the underrated gems from the 90's.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #18 on: August 4, 2022, 03:49:47 pm »
Well done Nicholls on reaching the final. Hard luck everyone.

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #19 on: August 4, 2022, 04:23:56 pm »
Well played, Nicholls! Like I said, I voted for you too.

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #20 on: August 4, 2022, 06:03:23 pm »
It's a pity only one team is going through in each of these match ups. I thought it was the top two originally. When people are voting for two teams it can sometimes skew results a little. e.g. Tubby and Musketeer being neck and neck in their group and then in a head to head Musketeer totally dominating. Would probably drag out too long if two were to go through though.
Yeah, it might seem a bit harsh but I didn't want to drag the vote out. First, because the voting in these kinds of drafts is more symbolic than anything, and secondly because the league season starts this weekend and people would probably pay little mind to the voting.

Originally I was thinking of making it even shorter. Two groups of eight teams each and the top two would advance to the final. But then I thought it would be too hard for everyone to evaluate eight lineups at a time, so went with four groups of four, with only one advancing.

I might have screwed up on the 2 votes per group though. I realize that when tubby and Musketeer drew on the group and then Musketeer run away with it on the head-to-head, but at that moment it was already too late to change things. I wanted to give more opportunities to each one in the group to gather some votes, as I thought only one advancing was harsh enough. I realize my mistake now though.

Offline vivabobbygraham

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: August 4, 2022, 07:30:24 pm »
Forgot to say, Galaxy Quest was a nice pick Bobby, one of the underrated gems from the 90's.

Thank you Hazel. Always have been a man of taste