Author Topic: 90s MOVIE DRAFT - SELECTION THREAD (NO CHAT)  (Read 5933 times)

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
Re: 90s MOVIE DRAFT - SELECTION THREAD (NO CHAT)
« Reply #80 on: July 27, 2022, 09:50:44 pm »
Natural Born Killer 1994 - Thriller/Crime

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #81 on: July 27, 2022, 10:02:19 pm »
Romance /Foreign Language-  Three Colours: Red

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #82 on: July 27, 2022, 10:24:08 pm »
Ed Wood (1994) - Cat 5. Comedy/ Musical

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #83 on: July 27, 2022, 10:32:11 pm »
Fucking Amal (1998) - Romance

Director: Lukas Moodysson

Budget: 900,000SEK (Indie & Foreign Language film)

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/Luv9ATR2XE0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/Luv9ATR2XE0</a>
« Last Edit: July 27, 2022, 10:38:40 pm by Hazell »
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #84 on: July 27, 2022, 10:41:21 pm »
Army of Darkness (1993) - Horror/Sci-fi

If anyone wants to reacquaint themselves, the full movie is right here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBtr-n8xt5M

Arguably the most consistently enjoyable film of the 1990's, Army of Darkness switched gears a little bit from the original Evil Dead films but Bruce Campbell is at his irresistable best and practically every line is gold: "What's that you've got on your face?" "First you want to kill me, then you want to kiss me," and of course "You found me beautiful once." "Honey, you got REAL ugly!".

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/6o7rKkxsCkY" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/6o7rKkxsCkY</a>

Offline red mongoose

• Every day he's funnelling. Twisted firestarter. Just once he'd like to get something right on here. We're waiting too. Everything he does, he does it for us!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Crawl in under the shadow of this red rock
« Reply #85 on: July 27, 2022, 11:33:23 pm »
Audition
Horror
Takashi Miike

"This disturbing Japanese thriller follows Aoyama (Ryo Ishibashi), a widower who decides to start dating again. Aided by a film-producer friend (Miyuki Matsuda), Aoyama uses auditions for a fake production to function as a dating service. When Aoyama becomes intrigued by the withdrawn, gorgeous Asami (Eihi Shiina), they begin a relationship. However, he begins to realize that Asami isn't as reserved as she appears to be, leading to gradually increased tension and a harrowing climax."

One of my favorite directors in a rare display of clarity, coherence and consistency.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2022, 11:38:33 pm by red mongoose »
At the hole where he went in
Red-Eye called to Wrinkle-Skin.
Hear what little Red-Eye saith:
"Nag, come up and dance with death!'"

Offline Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #86 on: July 28, 2022, 10:17:58 am »
Run Lola Run - Wildcard (1998)

This is a film that doesn't do anything that hasn't been done before, but what it does do is execute everything it wants to achieve almost perfectly. The performances, the editing, the locations (set in Berlin), the soundtrack. All on point. It's an excellent and exhilarating action-thriller that keeps you on the edge of your seat for 80 minutes with a satisfying conclusion. Nothing more needs saying.

"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Offline Sudden Death Draft Loser

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #87 on: July 28, 2022, 10:24:41 am »
Donnie Brasco

Wildcard

"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #88 on: July 28, 2022, 10:39:00 am »
Swingers - Wildcard - 1996 (Low-Budget)

Mars Attacks! - Fantasy - 1996

Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #89 on: July 28, 2022, 10:45:28 am »
Himalaya

Cat 3. Adventure/Fantasy

Foreign language film

"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

Offline Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #90 on: July 28, 2022, 10:51:49 am »
Man on the Moon - Comedy (1999)

This movie is definitely not for everyone. It's hilarious, but in a totally off the wall almost anti-funny way. It took me awhile to realise what I was even watching, but catching it late night one evening on TV I slowly became completely fixated by it. Jim Carey's performance is out of this world (pun intended) and the cast and crew (see the documentary Jim & Andy on Netflix) were reportedly in awe of just how in character he was for this role. There are accounts of people saying that whenever they spoke to him on set, they weren't even sure whether they were talking to Jim Carey himself, or Jim as Andy Kaufman. He didn't just play Andy Kaufman, he became Andy Kaufman. One of his greatest ever performances IMO.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/dLtXG4Y2h4g" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/dLtXG4Y2h4g</a>
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The boys pen cured my acne
« Reply #91 on: July 28, 2022, 11:10:08 am »
Coneheads - Comedy - 1993 - Director: Steve Barron

Free Willy - Family - 1993 - Director: Simon Wincer

...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: July 28, 2022, 12:12:14 pm »
Being John Malkovich (1999) - Wildcard

Being John Malkovich is best suited as a wild card pick because it’s largely uncategorisable. It’s a meditation on our sense of self, how we achieve that and how we view celebrities (and celebrity), and it’s also really, really funny.

A lot of music video directors – David Fincher, Michel Gondry, Michael Bay – made the jump to cinema in the 90’s but Spike Jonze was the best of the lot and he made the biggest splash right out the gate. You can see the quirks and sense of adventure that categorised some of his best videos*, and they’re allied to one of the most original scripts ever written and a string of great performances topped by Malkovich himself. And for the second time, Charlie Sheen gave his career a shot in the arm with an amazing two-scene cameo.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/meSIVfOyerg" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/meSIVfOyerg</a>

*Buddy Holly, Sabotage and Praise You just off the top of my head.

Offline red mongoose

• Every day he's funnelling. Twisted firestarter. Just once he'd like to get something right on here. We're waiting too. Everything he does, he does it for us!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #93 on: July 28, 2022, 12:30:44 pm »
The Last of the Mohicans
Action
Michael Mann
Daniel Day-Lewis

It's Michael Mann, so you know it is quality. Great score, great cinematography, great cast. The film really puts you in the womb of the brutality of early North American conquest. It's desperate and sad and hopeful in equal measure. I was, am, and will always be in love with 1992 Jodhi May.

« Last Edit: July 28, 2022, 12:38:43 pm by red mongoose »

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #94 on: July 28, 2022, 01:01:40 pm »
Office Space (1999) - Wildcard

Director: Mike Judge

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #95 on: July 28, 2022, 02:01:51 pm »
Fallen Angels (1995) - Cat 1. Action/War/Western (Foreign)

The darker and cooler twin brother to "Chinkung Express". "Fallen Angels" get a bit overlooked when talking about Wong Kar-wai filmography, but it's second only to "In the mood for love" for me.

Originally filmed as an extension to Chinkung Express, Kar-wai decided to split them because of the running time. The similarities between the both are pretty obvious, stylistically and thematically. Both tell fragmented stories about strange alienated people in Hong Kong. Both make heavy use of wide lenses, saturated colours and different editing techniques that are undeniable Wong Kar-wai's. The biggest difference though is in the mood that both create.

While Chinkung Express has a lighter more ethereal tone, "Fallen Angels" is a darker, more cynical movie; And obviously, which is why I put it in this category, more action-packed. Its nocturnal neon-infused aesthetic leans heavily on the colour green, which helps create this kind of oppressive atmosphere. The soundtrack, which is dark and brooding but unbelievable cool, in synch with the editing, propels the movie forward with a steady but rhythmic pace. There's a Cantonese version of "Karma Coma" that plays repeatedly, which is amazing and kind of embodies the whole movie.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/ANIJoDzgBng" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/ANIJoDzgBng</a>

The characters in this are as quirky as the ones in Chinkung Express, and the performances are great. But like everything in this movie, they are darker and more dangerous. While the characters in Chinkung Express are yearning for love and company, these characters feel like they are too far gone, even if they crave the same.

« Last Edit: July 28, 2022, 04:40:21 pm by Lastrador »

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #96 on: July 28, 2022, 02:09:32 pm »
The Crow 1994 - Fantasy

Not everyone favorite but i've honestly watched this movie so many times, I can quote it verbatim from start to finish.

I even in high school dressed up as the Crow for a day with friends.

RIP Brandon Lee.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #97 on: July 28, 2022, 02:24:44 pm »
From Dusk Till Dawn - Thriller/Crime

If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #98 on: July 28, 2022, 02:27:56 pm »
Max picks - The Cure-1997 (Horror)

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99 on: July 28, 2022, 02:33:24 pm »
Action- Last Action Hero

Offline NICHOLLS

• Legacy Fan
  • Ohhhhh ya beauty, what a hit son, what a hit!
« Reply #100 on: July 28, 2022, 03:09:04 pm »
Scream
(1996)
Dir. Wes Craven
Starring Neve Campbell, Courteney Cox, David Arquette, Matthew Lillard

Cat 6. Horror

One of the most iconic films from the decade, Scream was Wes Craven's postmodernist decontruction of the very genre he helped to popularise in the late 70s and 80s. It shouts 90's: cool, tongue in cheek clever humour, meta/very self aware and fun. Its subsequent sequels have diluted the punch and thrill of the franchise (I admittedly haven't seen the 2022 installment), but the original still stands alone as a sharp 90s timecapsule, revitalizing a dying genre for the new generation.

Offline dis_1

• Main Stander
« Reply #101 on: July 28, 2022, 04:02:54 pm »
The Witches (1990)
Dir: Nicolas Roeg
https://letterboxd.com/film/the-witches/

Anjelica Huston as Eva Ernst
Mai Zetterling as Helga Eveshim
Kristen Steinsland as Child Helga
Jasen Fisher as Luke Eveshim
Rowan Atkinson as Mr. Stringer
Bill Paterson as Mr. Jenkins
Brenda Blethyn as Mrs. Jenkins

Category 7 Animation/Family

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #102 on: July 28, 2022, 04:33:23 pm »
Jumanji - Adventure

Offline Musketeer Gripweed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #103 on: July 28, 2022, 04:40:05 pm »
Comedy - My Cousin Vinny

Adventure - Armageddon

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #104 on: July 28, 2022, 04:41:08 pm »
Goldeneye - Action

Offline dis_1

• Main Stander
« Reply #105 on: July 28, 2022, 05:45:08 pm »
The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert (1994)
Dir: Stephan Elliott
https://letterboxd.com/film/the-adventures-of-priscilla-queen-of-the-desert/

Terence Stamp as Bernadette Bassenger
Hugo Weaving as Anthony "Tick" Belrose/Mitzi Del Bra
Guy Pearce as Adam Whitely/Felicia Jollygoodfellow
Bill Hunter as Robert "Bob" Spart

Category 8 WILDCARD

Torn between this and another film featuring Terence Stamp, plumped for this as it more vibrant, and i'm aware that most have my picks have been a little on the dark side!!!

Offline NICHOLLS

• Legacy Fan
  • Ohhhhh ya beauty, what a hit son, what a hit!
« Reply #106 on: July 28, 2022, 06:45:45 pm »
The End of Evangelion
(1997)
Dir. Hideaki Anno, Kazuya Tsurumaki

Cat 7. Animation

A film that transcends its medium. As we emerge into a post-lockdown world, its themes are ever more meaningful and rich. 'Everything Everywhere All at Once' kinda felt like its spiritual successor.

« Last Edit: July 28, 2022, 08:53:43 pm by NICHOLLS1986 »

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #107 on: July 28, 2022, 06:49:51 pm »

Max Picks - Barton Fink -1991 (Wildcard)

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #108 on: July 28, 2022, 07:04:49 pm »
Mrs Doubtfire - Family

If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #109 on: July 28, 2022, 07:10:58 pm »
Lost Highway 1997 - Wildcard

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #110 on: July 28, 2022, 07:19:14 pm »
Wildcard- Showgirls

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #111 on: July 28, 2022, 07:39:31 pm »
Night on Earth (1991) - Cat. 8 - Wildcard

So with my last pick, I'll go with a little-known movie from one of my favourite directors, Jim Jarmusch. One that I recommend to everyone who asks for suggestions and it has never let me down. "Night on Earth" is an anthology film consisting of five different stories, that take place on the same night, all over the world (L.A, New York, Rome, Paris and Helsinki). What the five vignettes have in common is that they all transpire in a taxi.

Usually, anthology films are a bit inconsistent in their quality, but this one isn't. It's consistently hilarious and engaging, although Benigni's story in Rome is particularly hysterical and a high point of the movie. It's not only hilarious though, it's also highly reflective. Like in all of Jarmusch's work, he's very interested in exploring human connections and how they differ and coincide in different contexts and locations. This movie plot is like the perfect vessel to explore this idea.

So, while I had movies higher on my favourite 90s movies list that I could have picked, I just couldn't leave this little gem of a movie out. Highly recommend it to everyone.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2022, 10:07:19 pm by Lastrador »

Offline Hazell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #112 on: July 28, 2022, 07:59:18 pm »
eXistenZ (1999) - Action

Director: David Cronenberg

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #113 on: July 28, 2022, 08:26:23 pm »
Wayne's World (1990) - Comedy/drama

There are a couple of comedies this decade that deliver more laughs per minute, but none have the depth and variety of Wayne's World. Satire, spoofs, visual gags, character-based stuff: it's all here. The acting is stellar (witness Mike Myers' pronunciation of the word 'a' in this scene) and so many of the most famous scenes have transcended the movie to enter popular culture. Why is it that if a man kills another man in battle it's heroic, yet if he kills a man in the heat of passion, it's called murder?

And the set pieces are terrific:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/KjB6r-HDDI0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/KjB6r-HDDI0</a>

Offline red mongoose

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #114 on: July 28, 2022, 09:00:33 pm »
Postman Blues
Comedy
SABU

"Sawaki (Shinichi Tsutsumi) is a postman tired of the drudgery of his delivery routine. His dull life changes abruptly when he comes across his old school chum Noguchi (Keisuke Horibe), now employed as a drug dealer for the Yakuza. Their amiable conversation results in a series of mix-ups involving Sawaki's mail bag, a package of drugs and Noguchi's recently severed pinkie. Before he knows what's happening, Sawaki is being pursued by the police, who mistakenly think he is a dangerous criminal."

In addition to being a beautiful romantic piece of humanist filmmaking, "Postman Blues" is hilarious as fuck. It also reminds me massively of the French New Wave. It's the story of losers who are destined to lose at life despite not really bothering anyone. It's also the story of assassins who kill for a living. And gangsters. And hapless yakuza. This is the film I wanted to pick, regardless of the fact that it won't get me any votes. Hopefully it gets a few of you to watch it (free on Youtube), because it is a true beauty.

The following doesn't have subs on it, but it gives you a feel for the film nonetheless.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/5rETRsQSR6w" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/5rETRsQSR6w</a>

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The boys pen cured my acne
« Reply #115 on: July 28, 2022, 09:13:21 pm »
All About My Mother - 1999 - Wildcard - Foreign - Low budget ($4,989,091 Wiki) Director: Pedro Almodóvar

...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #116 on: July 28, 2022, 09:18:00 pm »
Drop Dead Fred - Family (1991)

It's Rik Mayall being his most absolutely and totally Rik Mayall for 90 minutes. What more could you want? Also, how did they get away with him using the word bitch multiple times in a children's movie.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/VYxojalUplg" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/VYxojalUplg</a>

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #117 on: July 28, 2022, 09:31:31 pm »
Dracula

Horror/Sci-Fi

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #118 on: July 28, 2022, 09:33:56 pm »
Dracula

Horror/Sci-Fi

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #119 on: July 29, 2022, 10:13:42 am »
The Game - Drama - 1997

Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.