Author Topic: Bo Burnham: Inside  (Read 6073 times)

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
Re: Bo Burnham: Inside
« Reply #40 on: July 24, 2021, 11:49:25 am »
They made the internet for nights like these. I love you baby send a picture of your tits please.
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #41 on: July 31, 2021, 03:00:03 am »
If you start to smell burning toast, you're having a stroke, or overcooking your toast.

Offline Rahul21

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #42 on: August 2, 2021, 02:19:51 pm »
If you start to smell burning toast, you're having a stroke, or overcooking your toast.

Love this lol.

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #43 on: August 2, 2021, 10:13:38 pm »
This is now my running playlist. Though I sometimes catch myself singing along and you have to be careful with some of the stuff out of context to passers-by :lmao

Online Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #44 on: August 3, 2021, 10:40:55 am »
I echo much of what you've said in this thread Sian, I'm a touch younger than you but I'm approaching 30 and I've struggled with many similar things to what you've referred to. I remember about 5 years ago I was broadly suicidal, self-harming and I just had no structure, I'd been through some personal relationship struggles, I was dealing with the loss of a loved one and I just didn't want to be here any more.

Then down a YouTube rabbit hole I clicked on a video called 'Kill Yourself' by Bo, and I didn't know what to expect. I recognised his name from the internet but I wasn't familiar with him. I watched it and for the first time in about 6 months I actually cracked a smile and laughed. I cried at the same time because the message it sends, but I actually laughed for the first time in so long. The next one I watched was a song called 'Sad', and for the absurdity of it I cried fucking happy tears only, I needed that release so bad and I felt some happy emotions for the first time in what seemed a lifetime.

Bo is insanely talented, both as a writer, in a comedic sense, and he's got that vulnerability about him that makes you warm to him even more. I've put off watching his new special for a little while because I've had a tonne going on, but now that I've watched it I am again blown away by this man's charm, his insight, his timing, his production and his openness. Good on you Bo, this is the best work you've ever done and the bar is pretty fucking high. I hope he's in a good place now and down the line I'm looking forward what he does next.

Offline 5-times-Phill

• Main Stander
« Reply #45 on: August 3, 2021, 11:38:28 am »
Been obsessed with this for weeks now but I rarely visit this part of the forum so hadn’t seen the thread.
Genuinely hooked when I watched it for the first time and since the music went onto Spotify various songs are stuck in my head nonstop.

Someone pointed out that in White woman’s Instagram after the reveal of the first chorus, everything is shot in the Instagram square but then as ‘she’ begins to open up about her mum the shot widens. Genuinely superb stuff.

Don’t think I’ve gone a day without singing at least part of one of the songs in the last 5 weeks.
« Last Edit: August 3, 2021, 11:47:10 am by 5-times-Phill »

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: August 3, 2021, 11:43:33 am »
Someone pointed out that in White woman’s Instagram after the reveal of the first chorus, everything is shot in the Instagram square but then as ‘she’ begins to open up about her mum the shot widens. Genuinely superb stuff.
Then it starts to narrow again when she starts bragging about her job.

I really like the way he sucks you into laughing at her and then that bit about her Mum is like a slap round the face for feeling superior.

Offline Damo58

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: August 3, 2021, 12:35:14 pm »
Since watching it I tend to have a lyric or phrase stuck in my head for a couple of days. At the moment it's "I'm problematic!!"

Offline Rahul21

• Anny Roader
« Reply #48 on: August 3, 2021, 01:56:11 pm »
Watching this again now. Brilliant.

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #49 on: August 4, 2021, 07:42:38 pm »
"I'm problematic!!"

When I was 17 on Halloween I dressed up as Aladdiiiiin
I did not darken my skin
But still it feels weird in hindsiiiiiiight

Offline Snail

• Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #50 on: August 4, 2021, 07:46:16 pm »

I can just about watch that bit without crying now, just about.

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #51 on: August 8, 2021, 09:07:20 am »
This is worth a listen: https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/kermode-on-film/id1436700945?i=1000527979388

A really good debate on Inside and Burnham’s intent, authenticity and creativity. Kermode is less convinced by the whole thing in that he can’t get beyond the self-indulgence of the enterprise despite thinking it’s very good in many ways. Give it a listen.

Offline Snail

• Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #52 on: August 8, 2021, 04:55:47 pm »
Definitely interesting so thank you for sharing. It’s a game of opinions and he’s one of the very best at interpreting this sort of thing but I don’t half feel like I’ve understood the special in a completely different way to Kermode. It could be a generational thing like he says.

I love Kermode, I haven’t listened to this because I will accept no criticism of Inside and I think he needs to leave my boyfriend alone. The prick.

Offline Snail

• Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #53 on: August 8, 2021, 05:20:03 pm »
The finale of Make Happy (rightfully) gets a lot of love, but I adore the finale end of what., drowning out the abuse with music etc etc. It's lovely.

(He was twenty-fucking-two.)

https://youtu.be/dQTZVnDE2Qw

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #54 on: August 8, 2021, 07:07:17 pm »
I will accept no criticism of Inside and I think he needs to leave my boyfriend alone. The prick.

:lmao

Offline koptommy93

• Legacy Fan
  • @tharris113
« Reply #55 on: August 8, 2021, 07:11:02 pm »
The song about turning 30 hit me hard. I'm not thirty yet but I often wonder what the fuck I'm doing and the point of it all is. I was thinking about this show for days after I watched it. How he put it together is beyond me, an absolute genius.
I for one welcome our new insect overloads

Offline Snail

• Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #56 on: August 8, 2021, 07:48:10 pm »

Offline JerseyKloppite

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #57 on: August 8, 2021, 07:59:41 pm »
Didn't mean to say that out loud.

Don’t worry we’re all thinking it.

Watched Eighth Grade on Netflix last night, Bo Burnham’s writing and directorial debut. Great watch and very real and relatable.

Offline Snail

• Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #58 on: August 8, 2021, 08:07:37 pm »
The song about turning 30 hit me hard. I'm not thirty yet but I often wonder what the fuck I'm doing and the point of it all is. I was thinking about this show for days after I watched it. How he put it together is beyond me, an absolute genius.

It's a bit mad cos he is literally one month older than me so like I grew up with the YouTube stuff and then the specials, and now he's a director (boss director, watch Eighth Grade if you haven't already) and he's clearly incomprehensibly talented and doing the music for the Sesame Street movie, and he is... one month older than me. As the man himself said, noooo, god damn it.

Don’t worry we’re all thinking it.

I want him to wear me like Socko and tell me to call him sir. Haha! That's a joke, I'm joking, I don't want that at all.

Offline Snail

• Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #59 on: August 8, 2021, 08:13:01 pm »
https://youtu.be/KdmuCAqTK74

A criminally underrated song of his and I badly need him to write a musical.

Offline JerseyKloppite

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #60 on: August 8, 2021, 08:18:41 pm »
https://youtu.be/KdmuCAqTK74

A criminally underrated song of his and I badly need him to write a musical.

Repeat Stuff too. Think Make Happy is a lot more consistent and has a more logical flow to it but what. has some amazing songs.

Offline Snail

• Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #61 on: August 8, 2021, 08:22:31 pm »
Repeat Stuff too. Think Make Happy is a lot more consistent and has a more logical flow to it but what. has some amazing songs.

I love them both, what. is a bit inconsistent tbf (the ending is amazing) but it has some of my favourite gags, because I'm immature:

https://youtu.be/681aYbpBZnY

Offline JerseyKloppite

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #62 on: August 8, 2021, 08:25:17 pm »
You can definitely see a maturing and progression between the three shows. Be really interesting to see where he goes next and hope he tours over here.

Offline Snail

• Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #63 on: August 8, 2021, 08:32:01 pm »
You can definitely see a maturing and progression between the three shows. Be really interesting to see where he goes next and hope he tours over here.

Literally last night my fella was like "if he tours here then I'm taking you". Not entirely sure it's ever gonna happen though, he's said that he prefers directing and stuff, and considering the trouble he's had with anxiety in the past... hope it does happen, though.

Let's have some more love for what.! Raised Catholic but hates it all vibes.

https://youtu.be/Zxc20saM8DA

Offline stewil007

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #64 on: August 9, 2021, 12:56:53 pm »
This is worth a listen: https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/kermode-on-film/id1436700945?i=1000527979388

A really good debate on Inside and Burnham’s intent, authenticity and creativity. Kermode is less convinced by the whole thing in that he can’t get beyond the self-indulgence of the enterprise despite thinking it’s very good in many ways. Give it a listen.

I've just listened to the podcast and even Kermode says himself, he might just not get it, or the fact he's only watched it once and might not of been in the right frame of mind for it or the fact he's nearly 60 and its not aimed at him.

One of the best moments of the podcast, right at the end,  is the two of them basically telling anti-maskers/anti vaxxers to go fuck themselves in an amusing way.

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #65 on: August 9, 2021, 01:00:56 pm »
Do American based comedians ever tour over here?

I am much more into the UK comedy scene so have never really noticed. I know it's becoming much more common the other way round.
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #66 on: August 9, 2021, 06:17:53 pm »
I've just listened to the podcast and even Kermode says himself, he might just not get it, or the fact he's only watched it once and might not of been in the right frame of mind for it or the fact he's nearly 60 and its not aimed at him.

One of the best moments of the podcast, right at the end,  is the two of them basically telling anti-maskers/anti vaxxers to go fuck themselves in an amusing way.

The good thing about folk like Kermode is that he doesn't necessarily operate in absolutes, there's shades of grey that can be explored - a nice counter to the culture of polemics and inflammatory 'takes' that just exist to be divisive...

...that said, his polemic on the anti-vax brigade was special!

Offline Rahul21

• Anny Roader
« Reply #67 on: August 26, 2021, 12:59:02 pm »
Still loving this.

Offline duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #68 on: August 26, 2021, 01:49:13 pm »
Kept seeing this thread and had no idea who it was about but watched Promising Young Woman at the weekend and noticed he’s in that.
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline Snail

• Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #69 on: August 27, 2021, 12:10:19 pm »
Kept seeing this thread and had no idea who it was about but watched Promising Young Woman at the weekend and noticed he’s in that.

Great film.

Watching Words (which isn't available on Netflix but can be found via other means), what., Make Happy and Inside in order makes Inside even better imo, you can really see the progression and how much he's improved as a comedian / artist within like a decade, it's mad.

He's one month and six days older than me and he's nominated for six Emmys for Inside, it's difficult to wrap my head around it ;D

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #70 on: August 27, 2021, 12:21:32 pm »
Great film.

Watching Words (which isn't available on Netflix but can be found via other means), what., Make Happy and Inside in order makes Inside even better imo, you can really see the progression and how much he's improved as a comedian / artist within like a decade, it's mad.

He's one month and six days older than me and he's nominated for six Emmys for Inside, it's difficult to wrap my head around it ;D

Young talented people achieving a lot at a young age isn’t a new thing is it?

I still remember being amazed that someone younger than me was banging them in for Liverpool when Michael Owen came on the scene!

Offline Sir Capon of Debaser

• #SAUSAGES Pheasant plucking, midget chucking, jazz sax blowing, wannabe mod who'd like to be Danny Dyer's Bitch but too scared to ask in public for a name change, the pussy.....would gladly do one for mouth. Adores cats! RAWK Factor Winner 1897.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
    • https://murderouskaburdacus.bandcamp.com/
« Reply #71 on: August 27, 2021, 01:03:26 pm »
Young talented people achieving a lot at a young age isn’t a new thing is it?

I still remember being amazed that someone younger than me was banging them in for Liverpool when Michael Owen came on the scene!
I still cant get over Shirley Temple.

Offline Snail

• Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #72 on: October 2, 2021, 09:20:47 pm »
Can't believe this lost an Emmy to a recording of Hamilton ffs.

Offline 5-times-Phill

• Main Stander
« Reply #73 on: October 8, 2021, 10:49:55 am »
Don’t know if you guys saw but Phoebe Bridgers had been covering Bo Burnham songs on her tour.

Anyway she’s added a recorded version of That Funny Feeling to Spotify.

It’s good fun, like.

https://open.spotify.com/track/30y5OpD8TPAru2wsyZDD4S?si=pmICddiOSZeOa34Z3pUR0Q&dl_branch=1

Offline 5-times-Phill

• Main Stander
« Reply #74 on: October 8, 2021, 11:44:09 am »
And all proceeds from the track will go to Texas abortion-rights groups.

Nice! I’d put it on repeat if it wasn’t already nearly 7 minutes long.

Online Angelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #75 on: October 14, 2021, 05:53:47 pm »
Saw it after reading this thread and thought it was great. It's always hard to make a piece of art as this one and there will always be different reactions. For me, my only measure is if it's authentic and Inside definitely felt authentic. Haven't really watched his other stuff (except hearing his most popular songs) but this can just exist by itself as a absolutely fantastic work of art.

Offline Snail

• Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #76 on: November 7, 2021, 02:06:19 am »
My partner and I recently watched Burnham’s 2018 film, Eighth Grade, which is currently available to watch on BBC iPlayer. It is fantastic - probably the most authentic coming-of-age film that I have ever seen, and a truly brilliant performance from Elsie Fisher as the lead.

The car scene was absolutely traumatic to watch, so well done.

• #SAUSAGES Pheasant plucking, midget chucking, jazz sax blowing, wannabe mod who'd like to be Danny Dyer's Bitch but too scared to ask in public for a name change, the pussy.....would gladly do one for mouth. Adores cats! RAWK Factor Winner 1897.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
« Reply #77 on: November 29, 2021, 10:34:36 am »
https://www.juno.co.uk/artists/Bo+Burnham/

Bo BURNHAM - Inside (The Songs)

Format: gatefold 2xLP

Released: 17 Dec 21

Offline Snail

• Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #78 on: March 19, 2022, 07:14:24 pm »
https://www.juno.co.uk/artists/Bo+Burnham/

Bo BURNHAM - Inside (The Songs)

Format: gatefold 2xLP

Released: 17 Dec 21

Got the signed album up on our posh bookshelf. I think - god willing we get there - Inside is gonna be watched in 20 years, like a time capsule.

• Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
« Reply #79 on: March 19, 2022, 08:43:43 pm »
Got the signed album up on our posh bookshelf. I think - god willing we get there - Inside is gonna be watched in 20 years, like a time capsule.
Haha get you. Well in.. How ya get hold of that?