Author Topic: Unpopular Opinions  (Read 140683 times)

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
Re: Unpopular Opinions
« Reply #1080 on: July 29, 2022, 12:47:21 pm »
Cruise, Depp and Pitt are stars foremost and actors second but all three of them can act. It's just that those roles tend to pay less. It's not like any of them are Keanu Reeves level of bad.

Keanu is a national treasure and deserves to be treated as royalty.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1081 on: July 29, 2022, 12:58:00 pm »
Nic Cage is better than the lot.

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1082 on: July 29, 2022, 01:00:03 pm »
What's the difference?

Have you seen "What's eating gilbert grape?"
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Pirates of the Caribbean ... what - 5 times ? 6 times?
Edward Scissorhands

name any other respected actor who takes so many roles that require no "acting".

he's a performer not an actor.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1083 on: July 29, 2022, 01:01:42 pm »
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Pirates of the Caribbean ... what - 5 times ? 6 times?
Edward Scissorhands

name any other respected actor who takes so many roles that require no "acting".

he's a performer not an actor.

Not sure what the difference is to be honest.

Have you seen what's eating gilbert grape?

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1084 on: July 29, 2022, 01:02:43 pm »
Tom Hardy isd very overrated. he has massive over reliance on doing a weird voice
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1085 on: July 29, 2022, 01:04:11 pm »

no, but not sure why it's relevant. 

maybe he acted in that one but I just named about 8 or 9 movies in which he performed, have you seen all of them?  why does he take so many roles that don't require acting skills?

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #1086 on: July 29, 2022, 01:05:31 pm »

maybe he acted in that one but I just named about 8 or 9 movies in which he performed, have you seen all of them?  why does he take so many roles that don't require acting skills?

Why did Robert De Niro do Meet the Parents?
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline SamLad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1087 on: July 29, 2022, 01:08:02 pm »
Why did Robert De Niro do Meet the Parents?
for money I assume.

that's one movie that a good actor chose to appear in - fair enough.  if he starts appearing as a cartoon character over and over, how do you think ppl would react?

do you think Depp is a good actor? 

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1088 on: July 29, 2022, 01:11:42 pm »
Not much point in comparing present day Depp or De Niro to their peak selves. It would be like pointing to late career Brando and calling him lazy and overrated.

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1089 on: July 29, 2022, 01:11:53 pm »

Who says they don't require acting skills?

Could you do it?

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #1090 on: July 29, 2022, 01:12:49 pm »
Convincingly portraying a character that's very different from your true self is literally the definition of acting.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1091 on: July 29, 2022, 01:20:38 pm »
So is Christian Bale a shit actor? Is Clint Eastwood? Surely the art of acting is being able to express complex emotions convincingly, at least as much as being able to do a range of characters.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #1092 on: July 29, 2022, 01:43:03 pm »

Just on Gilbert Grape, as much as I criticised DiCaprio kind of being larger than life and this distracting in most roles, he was phenomenal in that film and the fact that Tommy Lee Jones won the best supporting actor Oscar for the fugitive ahead of him is one of the many shames of the academy. Not like they’re known for poor decision making… In an early role before he was super famous, he was so good that people were surprised to see at the premiere that he wasn’t a heavily autistic teenager.

Christian Bale seems a questionable bloke and maybe a bit pretentious but he can fucking act.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1093 on: July 29, 2022, 01:45:08 pm »
Tom Hardy isd very overrated. he has massive over reliance on doing a weird voice

He was good at channeling Peter O'Hanraha-Hanrahan in Legend.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #1094 on: July 29, 2022, 01:50:53 pm »
De Niro can play a niche of characters very well but doesn't have fantastic range. Pitt is excellent as a character actor in support roles but lacks the chops to play the lead and his good looks have distracted people from his acting talent. DiCaprio is a magnetic performer but it's always noticeably DiCaprio and that can kill immersion for me at times. It happens with a lot of big actors.

De Niro plays the same character all the time, not a niche. Shrugs his shoulder, pulls a face.

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1095 on: July 29, 2022, 01:53:56 pm »
Just on Gilbert Grape, as much as I criticised DiCaprio kind of being larger than life and this distracting in most roles, he was phenomenal in that film and the fact that Tommy Lee Jones won the best supporting actor Oscar for the fugitive ahead of him is one of the many shames of the academy. Not like they’re known for poor decision making… In an early role before he was super famous, he was so good that people were surprised to see at the premiere that he wasn’t a heavily autistic teenager.

Christian Bale seems a questionable bloke and maybe a bit pretentious but he can fucking act.

It’s a fantastic film all around. Definitely should have won his Oscar then, agreed!

Online Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #1096 on: July 29, 2022, 02:17:37 pm »
He was good at channeling Peter O'Hanraha-Hanrahan in Legend.
I didn't like that film.

Ich nichten lichten...
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1097 on: July 29, 2022, 02:51:22 pm »
BMW's are overrated. Ultimate driving machine my arse.

Cadbury's Dairy Milk is horrible, the taste is just too rich. Milka are much nicer.

Offline Sudden Death Draft Loser

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1098 on: July 29, 2022, 02:53:51 pm »

Most cars are overrated , all they need to do is get safely from A to B, using as little fuel as possible.
"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #1099 on: July 29, 2022, 02:55:52 pm »

Cadbury's Dairy Milk is horrible, the taste is just too rich. Milka are much nicer.
Dairy Milk used to be beautiful. I can't pinpoint when exactly - maybe whenever they switched to using palm oil - but at some point in the last 20 or so years it went very poor, almost waxy. Haven't had a bar in years.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #1100 on: July 29, 2022, 03:14:16 pm »
I didn't like that film.

Ich nichten lichten...

What's the Rotten Tomatoes score?

It's thirty percent Chris.
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #1101 on: July 29, 2022, 03:16:06 pm »

And he's a top bloke as well.

The others are gobshites.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1102 on: July 29, 2022, 03:42:29 pm »
I didn't like that film.

Ich nichten lichten...

What's the Rotten Tomatoes score?

It's thirty percent Chris.

:lmao
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1103 on: July 29, 2022, 05:33:04 pm »
The problem with likes of Pitt,  Di Nero, Di Caprio etc. is not that they don't have range its that they are cast in the same type of roles over and over again. Hollywood has a set stereotypes for what a main character of film looks and acts like and it conforms to that strictly.

A perfect example is the role of Jordan Belfort in Wolf of Wall Street. The real life Jordan Belfort while looked a bit like Di Caprio is very slimy character and has gravelly voice. The film portrays him this suave, self assured con man who can talk people into anything. However, in real life he is pretty bad at it the obvious sort of way. You can tell be because he is back on the scammy ways again and he sounds very pathetic.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #1104 on: July 29, 2022, 06:05:57 pm »
for money I assume.

that's one movie that a good actor chose to appear in - fair enough.  if he starts appearing as a cartoon character over and over, how do you think ppl would react?

do you think Depp is a good actor?

Well yeah, he’s a very good actor.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Online Boston always unofficial

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1105 on: July 29, 2022, 06:23:23 pm »

I thought Saxondale was really good series and deserves a reboot.

Offline ianburns252

• RAWK Economist not the MP spelling and Crosby background differentiate
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Gentleman in the streets; freak in the spreadsheet
« Reply #1106 on: July 30, 2022, 12:08:21 pm »
Most cars are overrated , all they need to do is get safely from A to B, using as little fuel as possible.

Agreed 100%.

I swear by the Honda Civic c. 2005-2009 as the epitome of sensible, practical cars. Great fuel efficiency, cheap insurance, tax is relatively high but covered by other savings, cheap to repair if needed and the engines are built to last.

Brilliant little thing

Offline TipTopKop

• Legacy Fan
  • Call Meeeeeee The Splund
« Reply #1107 on: July 30, 2022, 02:16:10 pm »
IKEA.

If you were to tell me a store with:

Weird sounding furniture.
Weirder manuals/methods of putting it together.
Had you zig-zaging through the whole store just to get the one flipping item you need.
A nightmare to deliver stuff (years ago, might have improved since in fairness).
Not necessarily the cheapest thing (considering most cases you needed to put it together yourself, if not here's a literal plank of 30cm wood -appropriately called LACK!!- but for you it's an £8 shelf).

...and yet it's a global brand popular everywhere.

I'm in the tiny minority I know!

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #1108 on: July 30, 2022, 02:18:07 pm »
IKEA.

Had you zig-zaging through the whole store just to get the one flipping item you need.
A nightmare to deliver stuff (years ago, might have improved since in fairness).
Not necessarily the cheapest thing (considering most cases you needed to put it together yourself, if not here's a literal plank of 30cm wood -appropriately called LACK!!- but for you it's an £8 shelf).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMhywI7ZznI

;D
#Sausages

Offline SamLad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1109 on: July 30, 2022, 02:20:02 pm »
IKEA.

dunno about that ....

I HATE going to IKEA for the reason you mention - being forced to walk through the whole damn place every single time.

some of their stuff is good though.  very practical.

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #1110 on: July 31, 2022, 11:18:09 am »
Colin Farrell is a good actor

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #1111 on: July 31, 2022, 09:08:38 pm »
Arnie was a brilliant screen presence. Couldn’t act but boy he held your attention

Bruce Willis? Well he can really act… when he wants to

The rock interests me, I think he can probably act too, it would be interesting to see him in a role where he needs to.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #1112 on: July 31, 2022, 09:44:33 pm »
Film posters used to be better

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #1113 on: July 31, 2022, 10:48:21 pm »
I don’t think anyone would disagree
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #1114 on: August 1, 2022, 09:24:11 am »
Colin Farrell is a good actor

Is this unpopular? I know a lot of people disliked him when he was a pisshead but always could act

The rock interests me, I think he can probably act too, it would be interesting to see him in a role where he needs to.

I think he gave it a bit of a shot in "Be Cool" he was quite good as well

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #1115 on: August 1, 2022, 09:55:53 am »

As did railway posters.

In fact you never see posters advertising trips to Skegness or Llandudno.

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1116 on: August 1, 2022, 11:35:37 am »

You not seen the Tooth Fairy?!
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1118 on: August 1, 2022, 12:49:09 pm »
Depends when you mean really. There were some great designers in previous decades but for every Saul Bass, Roger Kastel or Stephen Frankfurt there were a dozen hacks putting out bland, samey deisgns. Can anyone look at these and say they don't look beautiful and hugely varied?

https://www.creativereview.co.uk/the-best-film-posters-of-2021/

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #1119 on: August 1, 2022, 03:01:53 pm »
Muffin the Mule wasn't that cool but could do with a stool next to a pool.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.