Author Topic: RIP Gérard Houllier 1947-2020  (Read 43794 times)

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
Re: RIP Gérard Houllier 1947-2020
« Reply #600 on: December 16, 2020, 12:30:20 am »

I found I could not post on this last night, felt quite emotional on the subject of Gerard Houllier. Part of me wanted to see what Steven Gerrard had to say first because, although I know many of the players were close to him, it felt like Gerard (and others, especially Hughie McAuley) had made Steven as a player and as a captain. I remember seeing the gangly lad coming on for a reserve game at Blackburn, how raw he was and how he was managed through his early years both in terms of game time but also behaviour. Without his thoughts (and I am sure he needed to digest the news as well) it somehow seemed incomplete.

There is a dynamic behind every football club, I don’t really understand the dynamics behind other clubs but I have a reasonable idea of how Liverpool’s works having observed over 50 years and talking to one or two people who have worked for the club. This dynamic is one of the reasons behind our success but also the longevity of (relative) success in the last 60 years. It is something that grows and evolves, can be threatened or eroded and is the core of what is essentially a groups of humans working together under the scrutiny of thousands of fans, many of whom are part of that dynamic, especially on match days.

A large part of this dynamic was developed by Bill Shankly, although he would not have been able to do this without the conditions (especially the fans and club) in which he did it (otherwise he would have done it Huddersfield instead). He left a precious legacy that was continued by those who followed until it started to erode after Dalglish left in 1991.

I always regarded Roy Evan’s period as vital in restoring what Liverpool was all about (in much the same as Dalglish did in 2012), he re-made that connection with the past but was unable to connect fully with the future and was hampered by his inability to deal with some of the players (I would personally say especially the presence of Neil Ruddock whose influence I think was destabilising). Even so 4th, 3rd, 4th, 3rd was not too shabby for Roy, albeit it was by the previous standards, the competition and the CL qualification gates.

Into that mix in 1998 came Gerard Houllier. He inherited a decent set of players and some potential as well.  Gerrard, Carragher, Owen, Fowler, McManaman, Redknapp, Berger, Murphy, James, Jones, Harkness, Mcateer, Leonhardson, Ince, Bjornebe, Matteo, Reidle, Babb, Kvarme.  Not a bad legacy from Roy and others really especially in terms of improvement from what had previously been inherited.

Year 1 (7th) was a mess, all round, including the purchases (which I assume were mainly Gerard's), Dundee, Song, Ferri, Staunton v2, Heggem, although seeing the back of Ruddock was good.

Year 2 (1999-00,4th) was a different matter, Camara, Hypia, Henchoz, Westerweld, Smicer, Meijer, Hamman, Heskey followed thereafter by Hamman, Babbel and others. 3rd place and 2nd place followed but not the top prize.

2000/01 was special for me, one of the last conversations I had with my father was whilst players were interviewed before the Roma UEFA game (which we lost but won the tie) and games that season were the only ones I went to with both my son and my father. I have also got a picture of me and my son standing next to 5 trophies and I don't think that is a common opportunity.

I doubt anyone will ever win three cups in a season (5 if you are picky), Houllier actually went 25 cup ties and one off games unbeaten before his heart attack and, actually that is 27 if you count the next two games after he returned. (It was Phil Thompson in charge of the last minute Grimsby defeat and I don't really count that one after the events of the days before it). I doubt anyone will touch that record and it put Liverpool back on the map, thrillingly as well.

Football aside it is the man we will remember, his love of the city, the club and the people. The genuine warmth he exuded and the legacies, multiple, that he left.

You will be missed by everyone Gerard, thank you
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #601 on: December 16, 2020, 01:23:44 am »
This has wrecked me a bit. Gerard was my first real manager that gave me absolute pride to be a Liverpool supporter. No other manager can or will make me feel the way he did.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Dirk18Kuyt

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #602 on: December 16, 2020, 02:10:55 am »
Was proper gutted to hear this yesterday morning and felt really sad straight away. Maybe it's because he was my first Liverpool manager? Maybe it's because of how underrated he seems to have been ever since he left? Maybe it's because he was such a lovely bloke that nobody ever seems to have had a bad word to say?

All I know is he gave some amazing memories to the club, a lot of which I'm too young to remember fully, but nobody will forget the treble season, the exciting team of players around that time, the way he developed one of our best ever players & captains.

As others have said he brought the club into the 21st century and changed a lot, seemed to be such a generous man behind the scenes as well and made players think differently to the days of old.

Any manager that wins 5 major trophies plus a Charity shield in 6 seasons certainly isn't bad and Istanbul probably wouldn't have happened without his influence either.

A lot of sad footballing news this year but when one of a small number of past managers goes it's on a different level for me.

RIP Gerard, you won't be forgotten. YNWA

Online downtown

• abbewy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Sarina
« Reply #603 on: December 16, 2020, 05:49:19 am »
For many of us young-uns who missed the glorious 80s, Ged was the man.

I fell in love with the club when he was the manager and for that alone, he'll forever be an iconic figure for me.

So much of my childhood just flashed back when I heard the unfortunate news...He loved footy and he lived it until his last breath.

I can't give enough praise to the man...almost every college age of his is full of praise...we'll miss you Ged. You made me fall in love with Liverpool and for that alone, I love you mate <3

Offline LiverBirdKop

• A moron. Twice. No flies on their nullshit
  • Legacy Fan
  • 51,077 Deleted
« Reply #604 on: December 16, 2020, 06:33:50 am »
RIP Gerard.

YNWA

Offline tbonejones

• Dr. Doolittle
  • Legacy Fan
  • We'll be coming down the road...
« Reply #605 on: December 16, 2020, 10:12:30 am »
Two games come to mind from my younger years when I try to recall the earliest games in my memory. Two FA Cup finals – first the 1996 final and then 2001. Five years apart yes, but I don't think we actually got a TV at ours until maybe 1998 or later so my relationship with The Reds back then was always from afar. Going to a game was not even a distant pipe dream and would remain as such for a long time.

I remember being gutted when Cantona scored at Wembley, watching on TV at a holiday home in Cornwall as a real youngster. By the time 2001 came, for some reason I was supremely confident that Liverpool were going to beat Arsenal. I don't remember watching the League Cup Final but I must have been aware of us winning that, so maybe the confidence came from there, but losing the FA Cup Final hadn't even crossed my mind. So when we went behind it was a genuine shock to have that sinking feeling. Us scoring twice late on and winning it remains my first memory of not only a trophy success, but of my team winning a football match while I watched. That's something that gains significance for me every passing year.

Thanks Gerard for your legacy.

RIP
Journo: ''So, let me get this right, train, coach, train, plane.''
Rafa: ''No, coach first because we will not be walking to the train station.''

Don't Buy The Sun - www.dontbuythesun.co.uk

It was poodle. She was rocking a fucking poodle to sleep.

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #606 on: December 16, 2020, 10:28:51 am »
Him and Roy Evans were my first managers as a Pool fan, will never forget all the childhood memories.

RIP GED

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
  • From the depths of Sevvy Park lake
« Reply #607 on: December 16, 2020, 10:46:46 am »
To echo all those others who were too young to remember or else born after the 80s, Gerard was the first manager I really remember growing up with. Aside from giving me my first taste of success as a Liverpool fan, it felt to me like he laid the foundations for our identity as a club in the modern era.

But most of all he seemed a thoroughly decent bloke. Very sad news indeed. RIP Ged. YNWA.

Offline Rexy

• Main Stander
« Reply #608 on: December 16, 2020, 11:07:59 am »
RIP Gerard Houllier, a wonderful man and a great football manager who brought our football club back to the glory days.
Thank you for everything you did for this great club. You'll be sorely missed.
You'll Never Walk Alone

Offline Stubbins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #609 on: December 16, 2020, 12:01:15 pm »
Haha yeah the Roma players went apeshit. Someone got sent off (Tomassi I think). There was a bit of talk of the game having to be replayed for a few days that thankfully came to nothing. Don’t actually remember if it should have been a penalty (don’t think it was stonewall). Owen had missed a penalty earlier in which in theory would have put the tie to bed.

Baros Tyra came off the bench for that one at the time he was the best striker in the business.

George Sephton played the song  'Arriverdeci Roma' at the end, just to antagonise the Italians a bit more (fancy having it to hand !)  They even raised it at the post match tv interview and Ged apparently said 'well I don't pick the music !'

Offline Roughie Scouse

• Legacy Fan
  • We go again
« Reply #610 on: December 16, 2020, 12:07:11 pm »
Fond memories of 2001. The comments from ex-players like Didi, Stevie, Carra, Owen and Murphy all say similar things about how much he shaped them.
Brought trophies back to Liverpool. Will remember him fondly and think he deserves a seat at the top table. RIP GH
"There are places I'll remember all my life"  The Beatles,  ISTANBUL 2005

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #611 on: December 16, 2020, 12:08:23 pm »
George Sephton played the song  'Arriverdeci Roma' at the end, just to antagonise the Italians a bit more (fancy having it to hand !)  They even raised it at the post match tv interview and Ged apparently said 'well I don't pick the music !'

Haha yeah I remember that.

By the way, I meant Batistuta. No idea who Baros Trya was, think he was killed early on in Game of Thrones.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #612 on: December 16, 2020, 01:01:53 pm »

Offline red1977

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #613 on: December 16, 2020, 01:39:20 pm »

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #614 on: December 16, 2020, 02:53:25 pm »

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #615 on: December 16, 2020, 03:00:22 pm »

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #616 on: December 16, 2020, 03:14:46 pm »
Class!!

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #617 on: December 16, 2020, 03:53:51 pm »
Sing your hearts out for him tonight lads and lasses. He was one of us.
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Offline Desert Red Fox

• Legacy Fan
  • Orange and Red!
« Reply #618 on: December 16, 2020, 10:07:53 pm »
I hope you enjoyed that, Ged, wherever in the infinite you are.

YNWA :scarf

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #619 on: December 16, 2020, 10:08:35 pm »
That was for you Ged! You'd have loved it!

Offline planet-terror

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #620 on: December 16, 2020, 10:09:10 pm »
That's for you monsieur
bollocks

Offline dmorgan

• Started well, turned out a bit meh.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Going, Going....gone.
« Reply #621 on: December 16, 2020, 10:16:18 pm »
A win dedicated to him.... Just knew it was coming

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
« Reply #622 on: December 16, 2020, 10:30:34 pm »
Hope you enjoyed that one Gérard

Offline dosx

• Kopite
  • This is Anfield
    • LFC
RIP Gérard Houllier 1947-2020
« Reply #623 on: December 16, 2020, 10:34:58 pm »
Thank you for the memories #YNWA #legend
🔥97🔥

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #624 on: December 16, 2020, 10:47:34 pm »
RIP Gerard, hope you enjoyed that from above.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Online duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #625 on: December 16, 2020, 11:35:14 pm »
Like to imagine he had that Gary Mac smile on his face when Bobby’s goal went in. RIP Gerard. YNWA
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #626 on: December 17, 2020, 02:34:46 am »
Was great hearing the Houllier song.

Shades of Heskey in 2000/01 with Bobby’s header, like a bullet.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #627 on: December 17, 2020, 12:57:56 pm »
Taken from Twitter

The last time Liverpool played an entire game without making a single substitution was 908 games ago when Gerard Houllier didn't make any against Newcastle at Anfield during the 2003-4 season

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #628 on: December 17, 2020, 05:15:20 pm »
Saw Danny Murphy's touching tribute to him as the boss made him a better player and more importantly a better man. Gerard obviously was a man who could throw an arm around you when you needed it and like Danny said give you a kick up the ass when required. Murphy was having the season of his life he thought in 2001 after winning the Treble, scoring and assisting PR so when he saw Gerard call him over at the end of the season party, Danny was thinking this is where I get my new contract. Houllier was quick to remind him that he only played about 70% of the games as GH felt he was not fit enough to start every game. He also reminded him he had yet to get an England cap so told the lad come in two weeks before everyone else for preseason and get fit. Three months later Danny was capped for England. Never settle as we can all do better. RIP Sir.
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline gregorio

• Loves Chelsea's staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At this particular moment in time
« Reply #629 on: December 17, 2020, 07:15:07 pm »
RIP
'When they start singing 'You’ll Never Walk Alone' my eyes start to water. There have been times when I’ve actually been crying while I’ve been playing'

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #630 on: December 18, 2020, 05:53:22 am »
Amazing to hear Lucy Bronze dedicate her FIFA Women's Play Of The Year Award to Ged. Saying it was the Scouser in him and for that kind of person to even spend a small amount of time with her and give advice means she'd have to dedicate it to him.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline Scarlet`

• Low profile with wide rims
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96!!!
    • Laconius Arts and Design
« Reply #631 on: December 18, 2020, 06:49:45 am »
Gerard was the first manager I had when I started following Liverpool, had a wonder treble season and an unbelievable journey with him to come.  He bought us two legends in Hyypia and Hamann as well as trained a bunch of awesome teenagers who was written itno the folklore of our history
If Ayre got £25m out of them he's willing to fuck all the female members of my family on Sunday's.

Online BoRed

• BoRing
  • Legacy Fan
  • BoRac
« Reply #632 on: December 18, 2020, 10:20:28 am »
Another wonderful tribute:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/NUGmsR6GRm0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/NUGmsR6GRm0</a>

Offline Bend It Like Aurelio

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #633 on: December 19, 2020, 06:12:34 pm »
Hope it was a good week for you to enjoy Gerard up there, still gets a bit grippy seeing some of the mentions of your work and relationships popping up on media now. May you rest in peace, and hopefully I can convince these bastards to change the background forum image to you instead for Christmas.  ;D

Online mersey_paradiso

• Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool's where I belong
« Reply #634 on: December 20, 2020, 01:11:01 am »
He would have loved the footy we've played this week - hope he's watching up there.

RIP Gerard and thank you for everything you did for this club.

A la prochaine et merci
RIP Alex Jarmay .                                           Justice  for the 97 YNWA

Mr Alex Ferguson on Anfield after St Etienne 77 : "I didn't walk away from the ground after the game, I floated out. I had been caught up in the most exciting football atmosphere I have ever experienced...these Liverpool fans support with PASSION"

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #635 on: February 10, 2021, 10:25:45 am »
Lyon's president Jean-Michel Aulas: "We will rename our training ground after Gérard Houllier. There will also be a dedicated memorial to him and we will organize a game against Liverpool".

"In partnership with Liverpool we will create a special trophy in his name
Gérard is a great man of football, he was admired everywhere he went. Everything is being prepared that will allow us to remember this fantastic man who had become a friend"

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #636 on: February 10, 2021, 10:32:07 am »
A wonderful thing to do,we could make the game part of our pre-seasons,switch grounds each year.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Ratboy3G

• Sworn enemy of Mousegirl5G
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #637 on: February 10, 2021, 12:09:34 pm »

Would love to see this happen 👆
I am a man of few words.....any questions?

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #638 on: February 15, 2021, 07:29:12 pm »
Thought I'd leave posting this for a decent period following Gerard's sad passing as it's a humorous piece. But I'd still like it to have a place in his thread. It was the first article I ever did for The Independent and has a fond place in my own heart.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football-gerard-et-moi-the-dream-team-1074315.html

Offline Thepooloflife

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 97
« Reply #639 on: February 15, 2021, 07:55:02 pm »
Thought I'd leave posting this for a decent period following Gerard's sad passing as it's a humorous piece. But I'd still like it to have a place in his thread. It was the first article I ever did for The Independent and has a fond place in my own heart.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football-gerard-et-moi-the-dream-team-1074315.html
Nicely done Timbo - a very fitting tribute to a wonderful man and no better place to have it   :thumbup

On a separate note......really hope this idea of a tribute game with Lyon comes off and becomes a regular event - that would be a truly lasting tribute.