Author Topic: The PL run-in  (Read 989766 times)

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
Re: Attacking #20
« Reply #2800 on: February 4, 2021, 04:25:15 am »
We need to stop thinking this transfer window will be transformational. It won't. We have no money, that won't change by the summer.

We'll sell to buy again, and we won't raise as much as we did pre-pandemic levels because all clubs are broke.

The squad we have now will be largely what we'll have to work with next season as well. Just have to hope they stay injury-free and return to the same level as before (especially VVD) as that squad is more than good enough as we've seen already.

Definitely need to switch up tactics and make us less predictable. Played 4-4-2 diamond against West Ham and we were so much better.
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #2801 on: February 4, 2021, 05:27:35 am »
Just a small thought regarding no fans in the grounds & the affect on some clubs

Form & injuries aside I feel you’ve been a club that’s been one of the most affected by not having the fans in the stadium. Ok it might seem an excuse

But I feel the players haven’t really been able to feel the good feeling factor & adulation from the fans . Your generally fans that get behind the players through the game rather than the moans & groans, especially now

The players aren’t riding on that crest of a wave as such

Now Man Utd I believe have benefited from not having fans in the ground.

The fans after the decline by their standards since the Ferguson era were disgruntled & the ground had the moans & groans, especially as the arch rivals yourselves were having success playing scintillating football.

The Man Utd players have able overtime get themselves into better form without the pressure of the fans which could change the course of a game especially if the first 20-30 minutes or so aren’t going to plan

They can play with a freedom not possible before the suspension of the season last year.

It might seem a minor thing but I feel it’s had an affect

I’ve said before West Ham it has also helped not having the negativity around the ground especially last season. I & many other West Ham fans think the suspension & no fans after helped the players & ultimately us stay up

This again helped this season although now with a decent season happening fans coming back would be ok

Everton again it’s helped where as Sheffield United is hindered they fed of the fans & struggled since 

I think there is something definitely in this.

Offline Lycan

• Loves egg. Quite partial to a nipple too. Once came into contact with Jeremy Beadle and his tiny right hand. I used to be a Werewolf, but I'm alright noooooooooowww!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2802 on: February 4, 2021, 05:39:31 am »
I think there are a few factors at hand here:

1) The lack of fans in the ground for the players to feed off is definitely having an effect.

2) Injuries. Obviously.

3) Poor officiating of games going against us far too often.

4) The belief that if we keep going, we'll eventually find a way to break down these stubborn low block sides like we did last season has gone.

5) Fatigue/burn-out after going full pelt in the league for the past 3-4 years.

6) A little bit of the players feeling sorry for themselves with all this sickness and injury within the squad. I can imagine a lot of the players were quietly thinking " FFS, we just can't catch a break" or "FFS, not again" when they heard the news Alisson would not start yesterday, for instance.
“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind, never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

Offline RedSamba

• Legacy Fan
  • EUROPEAN ROYALTY
« Reply #2803 on: February 4, 2021, 05:48:02 am »
Missing on top 4 will be a disaster

Offline The 1989 Brit Awards

• He may be of thome aththithtanthe if there ith a thudden kwaithith!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2804 on: February 4, 2021, 05:52:54 am »
4) The belief that if we keep going, we'll eventually find a way to break down these stubborn low block sides like we did last season has gone.
This is a big one. The feeling I had with liverpool games against "fodder" during Kenny's, Brendan's and early Klopp reign (which seemed to completely banish after that 2-1 win at villa with us tying and winning in the very last minutes via Robertson and Mane) is returning.

Offline Lycan

• Loves egg. Quite partial to a nipple too. Once came into contact with Jeremy Beadle and his tiny right hand. I used to be a Werewolf, but I'm alright noooooooooowww!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2805 on: February 4, 2021, 05:54:31 am »
Missing on top 4 will be a disaster

Still plenty of time to get our act together. But we really do need to start getting people back from injury and keep them fit now. The likes of Mane, Keita(I know, I know), Jota etc...Need to come back and start contributing. We need to get Hendo back in midfield too.
“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind, never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

Offline Lycan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2806 on: February 4, 2021, 05:56:30 am »
This is a big one. The feeling I had with liverpool games against "fodder" during Kenny's, Brendan's and early Klopp reign (which seemed to completely banish after that 2-1 win at villa with us tying and winning in the very last minutes via Robertson and Mane) is returning.

The fans not being there has played a massive part in this. Not having them driving the players on has had a huge negative impact on this Liverpool side.

Offline perspectiveplease

• getsomethenstopwastingourbandwidth!
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #2807 on: February 4, 2021, 06:15:15 am »
The lack of fans argument seems a bit revisionist.

For years our fanbase has been criticised for lacklustre support in the stands, outside of YNWA pre and post match. You need only go through the atmosphere threads to see the complaints about the grumbling and moaning. I think a lot of other teams in the league suffer from a lack of intense atmosphere, before we do.

The truth is we don't have the squad depth to compete after you've factored in injuries. Last year we were fortunate. This year we aren't. And when you have a board who are accused of being financially tight or a manager who is accused of being stubborn, it will eventually boil over.

Offline Wingman

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2808 on: February 4, 2021, 06:28:29 am »
We need to stop thinking this transfer window will be transformational. It won't. We have no money, that won't change by the summer.

We'll sell to buy again, and we won't raise as much as we did pre-pandemic levels because all clubs are broke.

The squad we have now will be largely what we'll have to work with next season as well. Just have to hope they stay injury-free and return to the same level as before (especially VVD) as that squad is more than good enough as we've seen already.

Definitely need to switch up tactics and make us less predictable. Played 4-4-2 diamond against West Ham and we were so much better.

Yeah, all of that. I do think we should use the diamond more often. Fab and Henderson are the first two choices for the anchor but Gini can do a job there.

Offline MNAA

• ...mnaa, doo doo, deh-doodoo.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2809 on: February 4, 2021, 07:30:04 am »
The lack of fans argument seems a bit revisionist.

For years our fanbase has been criticised for lacklustre support in the stands, outside of YNWA pre and post match. You need only go through the atmosphere threads to see the complaints about the grumbling and moaning. I think a lot of other teams in the league suffer from a lack of intense atmosphere, before we do.

The truth is we don't have the squad depth to compete after you've factored in injuries. Last year we were fortunate. This year we aren't. And when you have a board who are accused of being financially tight or a manager who is accused of being stubborn, it will eventually boil over.
You’re in denial if you completely dismissed the impact of no fans. Sure ... our fans were not on top of their voice every single minute but they are difference maker. There would be no Barca comeback without the fans. It’s not the only factor. But it’s one of the important factors

Squad depth? Lallana aside, who did we lose from last season? None. We added Tsimikas, Jota and Thiago. Jones progressed. So actually we have better depth than last season. No amount of squad depth could compensate for the number and the frequency of injuries that we’ve had throughout this season. City cannot handle the loss of only Laporte last season (had Sane not been injured, he would have gone to Bayern anyway). Who did we miss this season? You should know ...

Squad depth? Give me a break ...
Neither party wishes to be bent over backwards but...
coitus will occur

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #2810 on: February 4, 2021, 07:35:31 am »
Just a small thought regarding no fans in the grounds & the affect on some clubs

Form & injuries aside I feel you’ve been a club that’s been one of the most affected by not having the fans in the stadium. Ok it might seem an excuse

But I feel the players haven’t really been able to feel the good feeling factor & adulation from the fans . Your generally fans that get behind the players through the game rather than the moans & groans, especially now

The players aren’t riding on that crest of a wave as such

Now Man Utd I believe have benefited from not having fans in the ground.

The fans after the decline by their standards since the Ferguson era were disgruntled & the ground had the moans & groans, especially as the arch rivals yourselves were having success playing scintillating football.

The Man Utd players have able overtime get themselves into better form without the pressure of the fans which could change the course of a game especially if the first 20-30 minutes or so aren’t going to plan

They can play with a freedom not possible before the suspension of the season last year.

It might seem a minor thing but I feel it’s had an affect

I’ve said before West Ham it has also helped not having the negativity around the ground especially last season. I & many other West Ham fans think the suspension & no fans after helped the players & ultimately us stay up

This again helped this season although now with a decent season happening fans coming back would be ok

Everton again it’s helped where as Sheffield United is hindered they fed of the fans & struggled since

Some great points in there Paul. I actually do feel for the players they have had to raise themselves incredibly over the past two seasons to take on City and even when they won the title they didn't receive the adulation from the crowd. Now think about a normal year and what a tough challenge it is to raise yourself to defend a title (and that is with a ground full of fans). Compare it to how we are having to do it plus all the injuries, disruption and lack of time to prepare. Taking all that into account, I guess it's understandable in some ways that we are struggling overall.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2811 on: February 4, 2021, 07:38:48 am »
Squad depth shouts are laughable. We had 8 players out there, all apart from Keita would be starting 11 players. Yet we are still able to field the likes of Trent, Robertson, Henderson, Thiago, Wijnaldum, Salah and Firmino.

There is definitely truth in that the squad may even be bloated with some ineffective players. But very few teams are putting out the level of talent we have with so many injuries and i include City in that.

Offline keyop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Always eleven, acting as one.
« Reply #2812 on: February 4, 2021, 07:59:48 am »
Still plenty of time to get our act together. But we really do need to start getting people back from injury and keep them fit now. The likes of Mane, Keita(I know, I know), Jota etc...Need to come back and start contributing. We need to get Hendo back in midfield too.
Definitely  - all is not lost and anything can happen between now and May. We've shown against Spurs and West Ham that we still have those performances in us, but we desperately need to get Henderson and Fabinho further forward, as they are pivotal to how the rest of the team can play.

City are still in 4 competitions. We are in two. We have two new CB's who can hopefully help Klopp find solutions to give us the consistency we need. Another home defeat is a setback but not a disaster, and there's still 48 points available. Theres no doubt the odds are stacked against us and have been for months now, but until its mathematically impossible to win the title, it's not over - this season more than ever.
« Last Edit: February 4, 2021, 08:01:27 am by keyop »
I've got OCD, but I prefer to call it CDO so it's in alphabetical order.

Offline Brain Potter

• Embarrassing. Likes to listen through the walls....Auralist Extrodinaire!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2813 on: February 4, 2021, 08:03:46 am »
I wish this season would end. My least favourite season ever. Let’s get 4th at least, and move on. It’s utter shite. No fans, VAR blighting the game. I wish it would just fuck off

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2814 on: February 4, 2021, 08:06:10 am »
We're really missing Jota. Why oh why did we play him in a dead rubber game.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline plura

• Bear with me
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2815 on: February 4, 2021, 08:28:54 am »
Easy to blame this or that. But Captain Hindsight told me that we should have sold Grujic, Wilson and Origi this summer and got another forward option similar to perhaps Jota, or more of a stronger striker type with some mobility (Haaland type). What good is either of these three doing for us, either being out on loan or not contributing when they are here.

Offline Macca201188

• Kopite
« Reply #2816 on: February 4, 2021, 08:36:40 am »
I wish this season would end. My least favourite season ever. Let’s get 4th at least, and move on. It’s utter shite. No fans, VAR blighting the game. I wish it would just fuck off

Feeling the same. What a messed up situation life is right now, and is showing in the football. On top of the injuries, the way we are playing etc, i would take top 4 right now. Really feels like we have a bit of re-building to do in the summer, going to be interesting to see how much funds the owners offer up.
The reds are comin up the hill boys....

Offline deano2727

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2817 on: February 4, 2021, 08:42:35 am »
If your Klopp, you might be using the remainder of this season to change it up a bit, after top 4 is secure. Look at City. They’ve completely changed their style of play and look unbeatable at the moment. 

That said, I think we will go to the last 3-4 games for top 4. Unless the likes of Jota come back and set the league on fire, and our New boys can come in and do a job right away , and let hendo and or fab play in their proper position.

Honestly, this season is a free hit now. Get top four, and see what we can do in the CL. I don’t really expect us to progress far, but you never know... any talk of the one legged ties this time around? That would greatly increase our chances this year, ironically enoigh. I think the likes of Bayern would smash us over 2 legs.

Offline redwillow

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2818 on: February 4, 2021, 08:45:32 am »
The title is over in my opinion, it would take something drastic from City for us to be in with a chance. Say they win their game in hand, 10 points clear with 16 games left.

City will win 12 of them 16 without doubt, that means we would need to win all 16 which simply is not happening. All about top 4 and a real go at the CL. Number 7 and 2/3/4th in the league would be an incredible achievement. Get Kabak in the line up for Sunday, we need to settle the new CB's in ASAP and start performing for the run in.

Offline Vinay

• West Coast privileges revoked due to jinxing activity. Considerably more greedier than yaow!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ceux qui écrivent clairement ont des lecteurs.....
« Reply #2819 on: February 4, 2021, 08:53:14 am »
We are not winning the title. That much should be obvious.
I have a sneaky feeling we will be out of the top 4 very soon and may not make it this year. Apologies for the doom and gloom, but we are not good enough. The annoying this is Man Utd will end the season higher than us, so it will be a victory for them.

Offline deano2727

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2820 on: February 4, 2021, 08:54:59 am »
We are not winning the title. That much should be obvious.
I have a sneaky feeling we will be out of the top 4 very soon and may not make it this year. Apologies for the doom and gloom, but we are not good enough. The annoying this is Man Utd will end the season higher than us, so it will be a victory for them.

If we finish in top 4, I honestly don't care which runners up place United finish in.

Let them celebrate it. We can celebrate winning big trophies again next year while they return to a battle for 4th.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #2821 on: February 4, 2021, 08:57:48 am »
If your Klopp, you might be using the remainder of this season to change it up a bit, after top 4 is secure. Look at City. They’ve completely changed their style of play and look unbeatable at the moment. 

That said, I think we will go to the last 3-4 games for top 4. Unless the likes of Jota come back and set the league on fire, and our New boys can come in and do a job right away , and let hendo and or fab play in their proper position.

Honestly, this season is a free hit now. Get top four, and see what we can do in the CL. I don’t really expect us to progress far, but you never know... any talk of the one legged ties this time around? That would greatly increase our chances this year, ironically enoigh. I think the likes of Bayern would smash us over 2 legs.

It’s certainly not a free hit.

We are in a battle for top 4.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline Samio

• Displeased Hermaphrodite
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2822 on: February 4, 2021, 08:58:30 am »
The title is gone, of course.

We will make the Top 4, though. Which will be a good achievement all things considered.

I actually like the fact we have City, Leicester and Everton next. I think we’ll come out of that with a more positive outlook to be honest.

Offline deano2727

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2823 on: February 4, 2021, 09:02:14 am »
It’s certainly not a free hit.

We are in a battle for top 4.

True. But if we don’t manage top 4, we have massive problems.

I think Jota coming back changes things for us. A different option when we need goals, and allows us to rotate the forwards with quality.

If one of our new lads can contribute on top of that, allowing hendo back in the middle, I reckon we finish second.

All ifs and buts at the moment though.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #2824 on: February 4, 2021, 09:04:28 am »
True. But if we don’t manage top 4, we have massive problems.

I think Jota coming back changes things for us. A different option when we need goals, and allows us to rotate the forwards with quality.

If one of our new lads can contribute on top of that, allowing hendo back in the middle, I reckon we finish second.

All ifs and buts at the moment though.

Three huge league matches coming up that could see us drop out of top 4.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline deano2727

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2825 on: February 4, 2021, 09:08:09 am »
Three huge league matches coming up that could see us drop out of top 4.

Agreed. I'd take two draws and beating Everton if offered now.

Offline Samio

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2826 on: February 4, 2021, 09:11:27 am »
Baffles me how people are becoming so weak at the knees at the prospect of facing City, fucking Leicester and Everton :lmao

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #2827 on: February 4, 2021, 09:12:13 am »
Baffles me how people are becoming so weak at the knees at the prospect of facing City, fucking Leicester and Everton :lmao

Why does it baffle you ?

Offline chromed

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 97
« Reply #2828 on: February 4, 2021, 09:16:21 am »
IF we beat City on Sunday with our depleted team, is there a chance that it may cause them to have a small implosion? It has happened before where a loss against us has caused a bit of a meltdown for them.

I agree that the league is probably gone for us now, the only chance we have left is if City somehow hit a bad patch of form very soon (which doesn't look likely).

For me, for the rest of the season, we've got center backs now - so use them - get Hendo back into midfield and see if we can put a run of wins together. Securing top 4 & and decent run in Europe is our priority now.
YNWA - JFT97

Offline Samio

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2829 on: February 4, 2021, 09:24:15 am »
Why does it baffle you ?

You only need to take one look at our results against ‘better sides/worse sides’ in the league.

Results against the Top 8 - P9 W6 D3
Results against the bottom 8 - P9 W3 D4 L2

It doesn’t take a genius to work out which styles we’ve struggled against this season.

Offline OperationIvy

• Kopite
« Reply #2830 on: February 4, 2021, 09:34:15 am »
Squad depth shouts are laughable. We had 8 players out there, all apart from Keita would be starting 11 players. Yet we are still able to field the likes of Trent, Robertson, Henderson, Thiago, Wijnaldum, Salah and Firmino.

There is definitely truth in that the squad may even be bloated with some ineffective players. But very few teams are putting out the level of talent we have with so many injuries and i include City in that.

I refuse to believe we need more signings to defeat the likes of Brighton, WBA, Burnley, Newcastle, Fulham and Villa.

If you look at how the other teams score against the lesser teams, the two main strategies are 1) playing quickly through the middle and 2) getting to the byline.

We dont do either. None of players do 1-2s or receive the ball on the turn (except Curtis - who should really start now). Wijnaldum is the worst offender for this as he always seems to have space in front of him when he passes to Thiago, but just stands there like an idiot.

None of our players go to the byline, Salah is the worst offender for this because he wants to score himself so cuts inside every time into the traffic. But both our fullbacks also put in pointless early crosses when getting to the byline and hooking the ball back would sometimes be the better option.

I think we just need to mix it up a little bit and the goals will come.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #2831 on: February 4, 2021, 09:34:43 am »
From the Man City game I hope we start using one of the new boys at the back, maybe Kabak, and pretty quickly transition to using Davies and Kabak as the central defence for the rest of the season.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #2832 on: February 4, 2021, 09:39:45 am »
From the Man City game I hope we start using one of the new boys at the back, maybe Kabak, and pretty quickly transition to using Davies and Kabak as the central defence for the rest of the season.

Unlikely we do that immediately as very risky

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #2833 on: February 4, 2021, 09:41:05 am »
Think we could do with some in the mould of mane added to the squad

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #2834 on: February 4, 2021, 09:42:49 am »
Think we could do with some in the mould of mane added to the squad

We did that last summer. He got injured in a dead rubber which he shouldn't have played in.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #2835 on: February 4, 2021, 09:45:03 am »
We did that last summer. He got injured in a dead rubber which he shouldn't have played in.

Or a game that the Manager decided to play him in to maintain rhythm.

Depends on your take.

Offline Sharado

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2836 on: February 4, 2021, 09:45:22 am »
Unlikely we do that immediately as very risky

Whilst I obviously generally agree the risk at the moment seems to be between that and being *literally* the most predictable side in the league, at this stage I'd be taking a punt.
Football, like life, isn't about getting what you want or even deserve. It's about appreciating what you have.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #2837 on: February 4, 2021, 09:47:00 am »
Or a game that the Manager decided to play him in to maintain rhythm.

Depends on your take.

His rhythm seemed fine to me. His knee, not so much.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2838 on: February 4, 2021, 09:52:43 am »
His rhythm seemed fine to me. His knee, not so much.

He was the 4th option. He was right to be picked in that game. Its something nearly every manager would do.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2839 on: February 4, 2021, 09:53:33 am »
I refuse to believe we need more signings to defeat the likes of Brighton, WBA, Burnley, Newcastle, Fulham and Villa.

If you look at how the other teams score against the lesser teams, the two main strategies are 1) playing quickly through the middle and 2) getting to the byline.

We dont do either. None of players do 1-2s or receive the ball on the turn (except Curtis - who should really start now). Wijnaldum is the worst offender for this as he always seems to have space in front of him when he passes to Thiago, but just stands there like an idiot.

None of our players go to the byline, Salah is the worst offender for this because he wants to score himself so cuts inside every time into the traffic. But both our fullbacks also put in pointless early crosses when getting to the byline and hooking the ball back would sometimes be the better option.

I think we just need to mix it up a little bit and the goals will come.

We dont need more signings, we need less injuries.