Author Topic: Welcome to Liverpool Thiago Alcantara  (Read 823843 times)

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Welcome to Liverpool Thiago Alcantara
« Reply #3640 on: May 24, 2021, 05:17:03 pm »
It’s so simple, but very difficult to do. His touch with the outside of the boot is amazing.

Technically, it's not that difficult to do the touch. The key bit is the difficult bit, turning into space, which means total 360 degree awareness, preferably beyond the immediate player. It's the quintessential central midfielder's skill, turning into traffic when you can see beyond the moving traffic and into the space beyond.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #3641 on: May 24, 2021, 05:19:04 pm »
It's his body shape as well just before the turn, tiny little drop of his shoulder to make it look like he's going to do the more obvious thing instead of turning away like that.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Bobinhood

• RAWK's Pam Ayres. Man without a hat.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hand over the Trophy
« Reply #3642 on: May 24, 2021, 05:24:29 pm »
He aint no Klavan though
Amplification does not equal truth. 

"Put these seeds in your pocket. At least sunflowers will grow where you lie!"
A Ukrainian housewife to a young Russian soldier, Feb 24,2022.

Offline Legs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3643 on: May 24, 2021, 05:25:18 pm »
He has been incredible this last 4-6 weeks he is world class and he has shown it he has made games look easy and we all know it isn’t easy.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3644 on: May 24, 2021, 05:29:43 pm »
It's his body shape as well just before the turn, tiny little drop of his shoulder to make it look like he's going to do the more obvious thing instead of turning away like that.

He's got that famous body swerve... like Fingermouse.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3645 on: May 24, 2021, 10:45:15 pm »
Wait, what?

Thiago made his debut on 20th September in the 2nd half (away at Chelsea), and was imperious for 45 minutes - breaking the premier league record for the most successful passes in a single half.

He then had Covid (actually had it - not isolating) and was out from 23rd September to 16th October, missing 4 games.

On 17th October, he almost had his leg broken in only his 2nd game for us when Richarlison put in one of the most shithouse tackles you'll ever see. He was out from 17th October to December 28th, missing 17 games.

He then played 17 minutes as he was eased back in against Newcastle on 30th December, by which time our team was unrecognisable from the one he played in on his debut.

Where was he the 'ultimate luxury player' for the first half of the season?

We then had a dreadful run of form as the injuries caught up with us, and he was rarely playing in a consistent midfield.

Then we restore Fabinho to midfield, other players capture their form, and it's no surprise we then see the Thiago we signed - finally over the injury, playing in a stable midfield, familiar with his teammates and system, and finally playing in a team that has belief and confidence. We win 8 and draw 2 of our last 10, with Thiago running the game for large periods.

You make very fair points. I wasn't being totally without a tongue in my cheek but i have been a little frustrated. However, I wasn't fully taking in his injury/covid + playing in makeshift midfields and just looking at what he was doing on the pitch at the time. He's a Rolls Royce of a player no doubt, but one sitting on the drive looking beautiful but not going anywhere first half of season. Last few weeks and indeed months he's been getting into gear and he'll obviously be vital next year.

Offline plura

• Bear with me
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3646 on: May 25, 2021, 12:27:52 pm »

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #3647 on: May 25, 2021, 12:32:52 pm »
Thiago magic - https://www.empireofthekop.com/2021/05/25/video-thiago-absolutely-running-it-v-crystal-palace-as-he-does-every-game-nowadays/.
It is going to be such a joy to watch him next season.
He really is the personification of bravery on the ball. Always happy to receive a pass when under pressure because he’s confident in his first touch. Always looking to progress the ball as soon as possible, never takes the easy the option.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2021, 05:39:24 pm by Funky_Gibbons »
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline smutchin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3648 on: May 25, 2021, 12:43:14 pm »
He's a Rolls Royce of a player

Slight tangent here, but I never understand why people compare top football players to Rolls Royces - they're heavy, slow and incredibly overpriced, largely because of their reputation. That sounds more like a description of Harry Maguire to me.

To me, Thiago is more like a Porsche 911 - not the absolute fastest but incredibly agile, very easy on the eye and a bona fide classic. Relatively cheap too.

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #3649 on: May 25, 2021, 01:00:31 pm »
Why compare footballers to cars at all? Except as a way of denigrating them.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline macmanamanaman

• S art Arse.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Robbie Returns!
« Reply #3650 on: May 25, 2021, 01:32:02 pm »

The only player we should be comparing to a car is Caleta-Car.

Oh, and Stephen Carrrrrrrr.
"A Football team is like a Piano: You need 8 people to carry it and 3 to play the damn thing" - Shankly

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3651 on: May 25, 2021, 01:37:31 pm »
The only player we should be comparing to a car is Caleta-Car.

Oh, and Stephen Carrrrrrrr.

I'll let those through obviously. Willie Carr too. And maybe Norman Hunter, at a pinch.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3652 on: May 25, 2021, 01:42:07 pm »
Surprised he wasn't nominated for player of the month. Klopp along with Mane and Ali were nominated for the awards.

Offline smutchin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3653 on: May 25, 2021, 02:24:02 pm »

Fair point.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3654 on: May 25, 2021, 02:30:59 pm »
Slight tangent here, but I never understand why people compare top football players to Rolls Royces - they're heavy, slow and incredibly overpriced, largely because of their reputation. That sounds more like a description of Harry Maguire to me.

To me, Thiago is more like a Porsche 911 - not the absolute fastest but incredibly agile, very easy on the eye and a bona fide classic. Relatively cheap too.

You're thinking of the modern Rolls Royce and modern cars, not the classics from decades ago when the average car was a slow, uncomfortable, rattly, unreliable pile of shite, whereas a Rolls was solid, classy, powerful, fast and the pinnacle of cars.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Sangria

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3655 on: May 25, 2021, 02:36:37 pm »
I'll let those through obviously. Willie Carr too. And maybe Norman Hunter, at a pinch.

Don't forget Scott Pinto. He was on fire.
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3656 on: May 25, 2021, 02:44:07 pm »
that was a hell of a video - I remember in the game that he was dropping 50 yard passes to feet or to players running in stride - but forgot about the defensive masterpiece.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #3657 on: May 25, 2021, 02:46:47 pm »
Wins so many headers for a little fella too.

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #3658 on: May 25, 2021, 02:51:36 pm »
Are there any videos of his song knocking about from Sunday?

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #3659 on: May 25, 2021, 02:55:01 pm »
Surprised he wasn't nominated for player of the month. Klopp along with Mane and Ali were nominated for the awards.

not into individual awards but this is worthy of comment.... he's been our player of the month by a mile
couldn't be more impressed with how he applied himself in a situation he absolutely didn't sign up for - was the stand out player in the league never mind LFC in the last 5/6 games

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #3660 on: May 25, 2021, 02:56:38 pm »

And Renault Higuita.

Offline smutchin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3661 on: May 25, 2021, 03:42:30 pm »
And Renault Higuita.

And Maxi Rodriguez

Offline Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3662 on: May 25, 2021, 04:00:35 pm »
And Maxi Rodriguez

And Robin Van Persie.

(Two fucking vehicles)

Offline jlb

• Anny Roader
« Reply #3663 on: May 25, 2021, 04:18:43 pm »
And Robin Van Persie.

(Two fucking vehicles)

Keisuke Honda

Online MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3664 on: May 25, 2021, 05:20:15 pm »
He really is the personification of bravery on the ball. Always happy to receive a pass when under pressure because he’s confidence in his first touch. Always looking to progress the ball as soon as possible, never takes the easy the option.

It's hard to appreciate his class when watching a game live due to the pressure.

Many times on Sunday, I was screaming "Get rid!" due to nerves but Thiago was excellent. He's like a pressure valve or a bank in which you deposit a football.

Online Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3665 on: May 25, 2021, 05:29:00 pm »
not into individual awards but this is worthy of comment.... he's been our player of the month by a mile
couldn't be more impressed with how he applied himself in a situation he absolutely didn't sign up for - was the stand out player in the league never mind LFC in the last 5/6 games

100%.
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline Jon2lfc

• Legacy Fan
  • It's a blessing to be a Red :)
« Reply #3666 on: May 25, 2021, 06:00:18 pm »
Even before we signed him whenever I would see his surname, Alcantara, it would remind me of the classy interior material you get in high-end cars.

Think that sums him up well - classy, smooth, good on the eye and sought after by aficionados.

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3667 on: May 25, 2021, 06:32:07 pm »
Are there any videos of his song knocking about from Sunday?

https://youtu.be/x1DvY1oHUEk

Just after 7 mins

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • i neither know nor care
« Reply #3668 on: May 25, 2021, 07:15:12 pm »

the dutch could always be reliant on robben

Quote from: Lee1-6Liv
Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Offline Bjornar

• Kopite
« Reply #3669 on: May 25, 2021, 09:01:15 pm »
There was never any question about whether Thiago was a brilliant individual player or not, rather whether it was worth it or not to make basically the opposite sort of trade-off to the one that happened when we replaced a brilliant ball player in Coutinho with more legs and athleticism (putting it simply and reductively).

The jury is still out on that IMO, for the same reason that it was unfair to write him off when he struggled a bit earlier in the season, that he's barely had the opportunity to start for a close to full strength LFC team yet. But it's starting to look very promising.

Offline Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3670 on: May 25, 2021, 09:11:29 pm »
There was never any question about whether Thiago was a brilliant individual player or not, rather whether it was worth it or not to make basically the opposite sort of trade-off to the one that happened when we replaced a brilliant ball player in Coutinho with more legs and athleticism (putting it simply and reductively).

The jury is still out on that IMO, for the same reason that it was unfair to write him off when he struggled a bit earlier in the season, that he's barely had the opportunity to start for a close to full strength LFC team yet. But it's starting to look very promising.

So simply and reductively that I'm really not sure the comparison is useful at all. Coutinho was a 10 who couldn't really do the Mane/Salah job and couldn't really do the 8 job. Thiago very much can do the job he's needed to physically/ defensively. I think the last few weeks have demonstrated that very clearly. It's just he can also do some other stuff too.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2021, 09:20:38 pm by Knight »

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3671 on: May 25, 2021, 09:53:20 pm »

Fair point, I don't either, but it's a way of saying top quality or something. If I said he's a Butthole Surfers type of player it would usher in some confusion, so Rolls Royce it is sometimes.

He's not a Butthole Surfers type of player either come to think of it - they literally don't exist. But Rolls Royce equates silky gear stick action and a seemless drive I guess so yes, a poor comparison.

If I was to go down the car thing I'd go beach jeep with two hot birds who are just there for the insta buzz.

Offline Bjornar

• Kopite
« Reply #3672 on: May 25, 2021, 10:09:40 pm »
So simply and reductively that I'm really not sure the comparison is useful at all. Coutinho was a 10 who couldn't really do the Mane/Salah job and couldn't really do the 8 job. Thiago very much can do the job he's needed to physically/ defensively. I think the last few weeks have demonstrated that very clearly. It's just he can also do some other stuff too.

To me it looks clear that Thiago is worse defensively (not a liability or anything, just not as good) than either of Henderson, Wijnaldum or Fabinho, while being better on the ball than all of them. So yes, there's a trade-off in my opinion. Feel free to disagree of course.

Offline Jon2lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3673 on: May 25, 2021, 10:33:33 pm »
 :wellin
the dutch could always be reliant on robben

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3674 on: May 25, 2021, 10:58:20 pm »
And Renault Higuita.

Don't you mean Renault Higuain ;D

The Thiago thread is now a car puns thread lol
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #3675 on: May 26, 2021, 01:36:00 am »
Fair point, I don't either, but it's a way of saying top quality or something. If I said he's a Butthole Surfers type of player it would usher in some confusion, so Rolls Royce it is sometimes.

He's not a Butthole Surfers type of player either come to think of it - they literally don't exist. But Rolls Royce equates silky gear stick action and a seemless drive I guess so yes, a poor comparison.

If I was to go down the car thing I'd go beach jeep with two hot birds who are just there for the insta buzz.

Butthole Surfers type of player, under-appreciated quality only you are truly hip to...

Gini Wijnaldum...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Jon2lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3676 on: May 26, 2021, 09:27:14 am »
Butthole Surfers type of player, under-appreciated quality only you are truly hip to...

Gini Wijnaldum...
Maybe i'm too old to know this..
but what the hell is a butthole surfer?

Offline Sangria

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3677 on: May 26, 2021, 09:59:49 am »
Maybe i'm too old to know this..
but what the hell is a butthole surfer?

Someone that wonders who was in their room last night.
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

Offline harleydanger

• 7/2=3. Proud holder of shittest ideas badge.
  • Legacy Fan
  • If I sound stupid, I'm probably casting a line
« Reply #3678 on: May 26, 2021, 10:01:54 am »
Butthole Surfers were an American indie band originating in the early 80's, riding the golden era wave of alternative music through to the late 90's, before semi retirement and reduced touring. They are considered by many alternative aficionados to be one of the seminal acts of alternative music, and widely underappreciated by the general population and music critics of the time alike. 
WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE!

Normally a player can look great on tubes, but one of the things that's encouraging for me is just the amount of youtube videos on him

Offline macmanamanaman

• S art Arse.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Robbie Returns!
« Reply #3679 on: May 26, 2021, 10:15:48 am »
I dont get why the Thiago thread has become a car pun thread. Stay on track, please.

"A Football team is like a Piano: You need 8 people to carry it and 3 to play the damn thing" - Shankly