Poll

Obviously the Brexit effects are only just showing and it's going to get a lot, lot worse.. but for now..

.. Brexit is going great. Sunlit fucking plateaus full of fucking wonder
.. Brexit is just taking time, it'll be reet
Moo!
.. Brexit is pretty bad, but maybe will get better
.. Brexit is terrible
.. Rees Mogg and all the Brexiters should be hung off a lamp-post.
.. Rees Mogg and all the Brexiters should be hung off a lamp-post AND I like cheese

Author Topic: Brexit. the Con continues  (Read 542122 times)

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
Re: Brexit. the Con continues
« Reply #5160 on: September 27, 2021, 07:20:58 pm »
Could this have been averted quickly? A cap or a huge price rise after 30litres and the promise that if things didn't sorry themselves or in a few days they'd use the army.
Media reporting there’s no shortage of fuel or tankers on the road, presumably in an attempt to calm things down after getting a lot of stick for causing it. I do take your point Rob about how it might’ve started.

So, it *should* sort itself out naturally. We’re not using any more fuel than we were two weeks ago (well, a little bit more driving around looking for the stuff!) but generally the total amount of miles driven is a relatively stable figure, so at some point it’ll naturally get back to normal. UNLESS there actually IS a fuel/supply shortage. In which case, we’re knackered!

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5161 on: September 27, 2021, 07:53:26 pm »
Media reporting there’s no shortage of fuel or tankers on the road, presumably in an attempt to calm things down after getting a lot of stick for causing it. I do take your point Rob about how it might’ve started.

So, it *should* sort itself out naturally. We’re not using any more fuel than we were two weeks ago (well, a little bit more driving around looking for the stuff!) but generally the total amount of miles driven is a relatively stable figure, so at some point it’ll naturally get back to normal. UNLESS there actually IS a fuel/supply shortage. In which case, we’re knackered!

There is enough fuel, the issue now is refilling the stations that the idiot public drained.

This was 2000:-

The fuel may be on its way but getting Britain back on the road will be a complicated and lengthy task, made worse by renewed panic buying. Oil companies, petrol retailers and motoring organisations say it could take three weeks to return to normal and have appealed to the public to act sensibly.

Early yesterday it was estimated that 90% of the 13,000 filling stations across the UK were empty of fuel. Oil industry officials said 300 designated petrol stations would have fuel by last night and 20% of the national network would be back on tap within 48 hours.

However, Ray Holloway of the Petrol Retail Association said initial deliveries to filling stations were not going to resolve the problem. "It's going to take us two to three weeks to get back to normal levels," he said. "The public will need to be patient and people must only take what they need."

There were few signs of patience yesterday as first deliveries reached some garages. At the Deerpark service station in Livingston news of a consignment of fuel from nearby Grangemouth brought a mile-long queue of drivers to the forecourt. More than 30,000 litres, a normal full day's supply, sold out in just three hours.

"If it goes on like this it's going to take a long, long time before we're back on track," said manager Alan Gray.

Sue Nicolson of the RAC Foundation said although it was crucial that motorists acted rationally, it was unlikely that they would. "We would say put only £10 or £20 in just to keep you going so that the petrol is enough to go round. I suspect, however, knowing human nature and the British psyche, that is not going to happen."

All eyes are now on the oil companies to see if they can rise to the challenge and get the fuel out quickly and in sufficient quantities.

The Shell UK chairman, Malcolm Brinded, yesterday assured the prime minister that the industry was responding. "We are focusing immediately on 300 sites for essential supplies and over the next two days we should see many more," he said.

Shell's fleet of 175 tankers normally make 600-700 deliveries a day to 1,100 filling stations nationwide. Only 30 of them had petrol by yesterday morning.

Esso normally delivers 700 tanker loads a day to 1,620 garages, the vast majority of which now have no fuel. "We are working as hard as we can to get all our tankers back out and the supply back to normal," said a spokesman.

BP said: "We are still talking about more than 1,200 of our 1,500 stations completely out of fuel. We think it will be two to three weeks before we can get back to a normal service. The situation would not be as dire as it has become if it wasn't for the panic buying. We can't really predict how the public is going to react now."

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2000/sep/15/oil.business8
Jurgen YNWA

Offline lamad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5162 on: September 27, 2021, 08:05:28 pm »
The fucking idiots of this country are ruining the lives of millions. If I was single, I'd fucking leave this shithole to drown in its own self induced shitstorm. And why the fuck are 57 million people letting 17 million or less c*nts fucking get away with this?
My mum earlier said she saw news about the UK on German telly, with video of empty shelves and closed petrol stations due to panic buying. She went "the French would by now be all out on the streets protesting and screaming at politicians and managers" lol!

Oh and by the way, because I saw this mentioned in the odd posts in recent weeks: Yes, there is an HGV driver shortage on the continent, too, but no, as far as I know no empty shelves. At least not where I am, and I haven't heard about problems in the rest of Germany or any other countries around us either.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2021, 08:09:51 pm by lamad »

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #5163 on: September 27, 2021, 08:14:42 pm »
Well fingers out its sorted out very soon because I don't think I'm making it to south Wales, back to London and then up and back from Liverpool by the end of this week on the half a tank of petrol I currently have in my car.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5164 on: September 27, 2021, 08:23:46 pm »
My mum earlier said she saw news about the UK on German telly, with video of empty shelves and closed petrol stations due to panic buying. She went "the French would by now be all out on the streets protesting and screaming at politicians and managers" lol!

Oh and by the way, because I saw this mentioned in the odd posts in recent weeks: Yes, there is an HGV driver shortage on the continent, too, but no, as far as I know no empty shelves. At least not where I am, and I haven't heard about problems in the rest of Germany or any other countries around us either.

You're in this strange thing called the "EU" and the "EEA". Seems like a really good idea to be able to freely move goods between countries, rather than have countries refusing to export to you due to paperwork and costs, you'd have to be pretty stupid to want to leave that.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #5165 on: September 27, 2021, 08:24:40 pm »
There is enough fuel, the issue now is refilling the stations that the idiot public drained.

Hang on, didn't you get petrol?
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline Linudden

• Twpsyn gwirion. Definitely a Ron DeSantis fanboy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #5166 on: September 27, 2021, 08:43:24 pm »
Mob mentality when it comes to panic buying really makes me lose any faith in humanity I had left. When covid kicked off I was one month ahead of all the toilet roll nutcases at least  ;D Quietly filling everything up one day at a time.
Linudden.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5167 on: September 27, 2021, 08:59:13 pm »
Hang on, didn't you get petrol?

I got diesel as I usually do every month on the Friday morning when I get paid, which covers me for getting to work. I tend to put enough in to cover the month although sometimes just a couple of weeks if I don't know when I'm working, I didn't change my habits at all. Usually its about £25 to £30, but as I'm working the next few weekends, and have a trip to Knutsford and then a trip to Manc airport, I put enough in to cover that, I've got about 3/4 of a tank. I put a fiver in my bike Friday night as I was using that to nip to work Saturday morning.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2021, 09:05:39 pm by rob1966 »
Jurgen YNWA

Online Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #5168 on: September 27, 2021, 09:54:51 pm »
By contrast my car is in the red fuel-wise and has been since last week. Basically an empty tank. I decided to stop using it when all this kicked off, and did not rush out to panic buy. I worked out that I'd be able to do without the car if I adjusted a few things, rearranged a couple of meetings and walk in some instances where I might have driven (I walk a lot anyway, so it's no hardship). I won't be using my bikes either.

Basically my aim was to avoid joining in the panic buying to allow someone who really does need to fill up to have a chance at doing so. I appreciate that not everyone can do without like I can; some people have to fill up.

I'm hoping it will get back to normal soonish so I can fill up as normal. I'm not gonna join any queues.
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5169 on: September 27, 2021, 11:16:31 pm »
I know a lad who works for Stobart's, said they have loads of tanker drivers normally delivering fuel on a daily basis - its a constant churn. Reckons there is fuel at refineries and the distribution points but the retailers haven't been putting in their usual orders, so the company hasn't allocated the drivers despite them being available. So I think there are other factors at play here.

It does make me wonder about something else I heard. I know somebody who works in the supply chain for supermarkets and he was saying that stocking the shelves is run on a Just-In-Time basis but manager's faced penalties / loss of bonus if the shelves became bare. So it was in their interest to keep the store stocked, reckons that's pretty much been ditched by most of them since covid.

I think the supermarkets have far too much power and influence in the UK as demonstrated by the 'leeway' they were given with covid rules compared to smaller businesses who were receiving warnings and fines from the local authorites for so-called breaches. Somehow, I can't see the local authorities being prepared to take on the likes of Asda (Walmart) in the same manner.   
Lee Trevino famously once held up a long iron during a lightning storm, claiming "not even God can hit a 1-iron"

Offline lamad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5170 on: September 27, 2021, 11:17:17 pm »
You're in this strange thing called the "EU" and the "EEA". Seems like a really good idea to be able to freely move goods between countries, rather than have countries refusing to export to you due to paperwork and costs, you'd have to be pretty stupid to want to leave that.
Yeah, similar to the US putting emphasis on deals with their main trading partners Canada and Mexico instead of smaller countries halfway round the globe. This concept about frictionless trade with nearby regions is a rather good idea it would seem, no?!  ;)

Offline 12C

• aka 54F
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • “The Ribbons are Red”
« Reply #5171 on: September 27, 2021, 11:20:01 pm »
I think the panic really kicked in when a govt minister said there’s plenty of fuel and no need to panic! Everyone just thought, ‘another lying Tory!’

This.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us."

Offline Machae

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5172 on: September 28, 2021, 01:03:23 am »
I know a lad who works for Stobart's, said they have loads of tanker drivers normally delivering fuel on a daily basis - its a constant churn. Reckons there is fuel at refineries and the distribution points but the retailers haven't been putting in their usual orders, so the company hasn't allocated the drivers despite them being available. So I think there are other factors at play here.

It does make me wonder about something else I heard. I know somebody who works in the supply chain for supermarkets and he was saying that stocking the shelves is run on a Just-In-Time basis but manager's faced penalties / loss of bonus if the shelves became bare. So it was in their interest to keep the store stocked, reckons that's pretty much been ditched by most of them since covid.

I think the supermarkets have far too much power and influence in the UK as demonstrated by the 'leeway' they were given with covid rules compared to smaller businesses who were receiving warnings and fines from the local authorites for so-called breaches. Somehow, I can't see the local authorities being prepared to take on the likes of Asda (Walmart) in the same manner.   

The other conspiracy but tinged with some 'believability' is that the whole thing was manufactured i.e due to the pandemic and increase wfh, some fuel, stored longer than its ideally supposed to starts to deteriorate. What better way to get rid of old stock, let the panic stricken public store it in their car tanks instead!

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #5173 on: September 28, 2021, 06:48:44 am »
So as I drive home about 4pm they weren't planning to use the army . This morning I wake up and now they have 75 army drivers on standby.
No idea how many fuel drivers there are normally.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #5174 on: September 28, 2021, 07:05:26 am »
No idea how I got home last night . Literally 18 miles of my 75 miles journey on fumes. Stopped at 3 stations begging them for anything just to get me home , the best I got was can you wait till 3 am.
Somehow rolled the car home.
This isn’t “some stations “ are empty. Over 95% from London to Cambridge are dry, and the open ones are at least a 4 hours wait.
It’s already an emergency and the army should’ve been deployed. It just looks bad on that c*nt in charge to be the PM that needed the army on the streets.
On the way back to work now, getting a lift, till this madness stops.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5175 on: September 28, 2021, 07:22:32 am »
The other conspiracy but tinged with some 'believability' is that the whole thing was manufactured i.e due to the pandemic and increase wfh, some fuel, stored longer than its ideally supposed to starts to deteriorate. What better way to get rid of old stock, let the panic stricken public store it in their car tanks instead!

Thats only applicable to fuel in vehicle petrol tanks or stored in Jerry cans. It will last about 6 months at 20c in a fuel tank, about 3 weeks at 30c, but when stored underground in proper tanks, with the constant draining and filling it won't go off.

Jurgen YNWA

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5176 on: September 28, 2021, 07:29:22 am »

Maybe the manager orders for smaller stores but in the past I've been delivering to Tesco supermarkets and the managers where moaning about them not needing what was in the trailers and they explained its all automated and based on the expected sales. The one that sticks was pallets of beer during a crap summer as they hadn't sold anything like the normal amount and had nowhere to store it. Wonder if they have binned the auto ordering due to covid??

They obviously have an override though as I've never had 15 pallets of bog roll in a trailer before last year.

By contrast my car is in the red fuel-wise and has been since last week. Basically an empty tank. I decided to stop using it when all this kicked off, and did not rush out to panic buy. I worked out that I'd be able to do without the car if I adjusted a few things, rearranged a couple of meetings and walk in some instances where I might have driven (I walk a lot anyway, so it's no hardship). I won't be using my bikes either.

Basically my aim was to avoid joining in the panic buying to allow someone who really does need to fill up to have a chance at doing so. I appreciate that not everyone can do without like I can; some people have to fill up.

I'm hoping it will get back to normal soonish so I can fill up as normal. I'm not gonna join any queues.

It was really weird, I usually go to Costco on a Thursday night or early Friday for fuel, there are never more than 5 or 6 cars fuelling up. I went in at 7am and it was dead, about 3 of us in, so I did my usual routine, sadly forgot my 5ltr can as I also needed fuel for the bike for the Saturday morning as I had about 20 miles left and that's not enough as work is a 42 mile round trip. I was with the thoughts that the public would be twats, but seeing the quiet I sort of thought it would be ok.

Missus was out that night so ran her to the bar, then as the local station was quiet I thought the panic hadn't hit, nipped to Costco with my can and the queues were huge, never ever had to queue. I just went back to the local but they only do E10 so not ideal.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2021, 08:09:27 am by rob1966 »
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5177 on: September 28, 2021, 08:03:45 am »
Maybe the manager orders for smaller stores but in the past I've been delivering to Tesco supermarkets and the managers where moaning about them not needing what was in the trailers and they explained its all automated and based on the expected sales. The one that sticks was pallets of beer during a crap summer as they hadn't sold anything like the normal amount and had nowhere to store it. Wonder if they have binned the auto ordering due to covid??

Yeah they were just introducing that in Sainsburys when I worked there in around 2004, every time something was run through the till it was added to the order (not as simple as that, it autmatically ordered extra for weekends etc). Managers only manually ordered things for special offers etc.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5178 on: September 28, 2021, 08:08:35 am »
Our kid has had a week off, drove to Swansea to drop his daughter at university and then had a few days away up the Dorset coast with his wife. Back in work today, lives in Bournemouth, depot is in Southampton. He's left for work half an hour earlier and changed his route to go past 3 garages in the hope he can get fuel, otherwise he's only got enough diesel to get to work and home and then that's him off the road, so one less trucker at work.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5179 on: September 28, 2021, 08:11:20 am »
Down to the last 10 miles on the clock anyway on my car. Hopefully I can get some fuel today. Otherwise no bother, Ill work from home and laugh at this country.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #5180 on: September 28, 2021, 08:14:56 am »

Petrol is good for up to six months if stored at home because seals on home storage tanks and jerry cans aren't great. It's longer if stored in properly sealed commercial tanks.

Highly unlikely that all of the petrol in commercial tanks is over six months old.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5181 on: September 28, 2021, 08:35:17 am »
Our kid has had a week off, drove to Swansea to drop his daughter at university and then had a few days away up the Dorset coast with his wife. Back in work today, lives in Bournemouth, depot is in Southampton. He's left for work half an hour earlier and changed his route to go past 3 garages in the hope he can get fuel, otherwise he's only got enough diesel to get to work and home and then that's him off the road, so one less trucker at work.
Should have panic bought when he could. Or have an electric car .
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5182 on: September 28, 2021, 08:38:37 am »
Should have panic bought when he could. Or have an electric car .

He hasn't got £40k going spare to spend on an electric car.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5183 on: September 28, 2021, 08:42:16 am »
Our leaf was 9k. Though only any use for popping round town.

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5184 on: September 28, 2021, 08:43:53 am »
That's the thing about panic buying. When the locusts come and eat, you better start eating too. You're not getting anything for holding on to your morals and doing the right thing.

Though, I have to admit, as a life-long cyclist, who's never had a car, I'm having a major case of schadenfreude. You did this to yourself, you fuckers. ;D
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5185 on: September 28, 2021, 08:53:15 am »
Our leaf was 9k. Though only any use for popping round town.

Which is absolutely of no use to him then with the mileages he does.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5186 on: September 28, 2021, 09:22:32 am »
Still well out of my price range.....

UK electric car inquiries soar during fuel supply crisis

Sellers of plug-in vehicles say petrol shortages are driving people to adopt the new technology

As petrol stations in parts of the UK started running out of fuel on Friday, business at Martin Miller’s electric car dealership in Guildford, Surrey, started soaring.

After what ended up being his company EV Experts busiest day ever, interest does not appear to be dying down. This week the diary is booked up with test drives and the business is low on stock.

“People buy electric cars for environmental reasons, for cost-saving reasons and because the technology’s great,” he said. “But Friday was one of those moments where people said, ‘Do you know what, this is a sign that we need to go electric’.”

While scenes of chaos play out at petrol stations across the country amid shortages, for many electric vehicle (EV) dealers the fuel crisis has led to an unexpected surge in inquiries and sales.

EVA England, a non-profit representing new and prospective EV drivers, reports a rise in electric car inquiries and in interest at EV dealers, particularly in the last week.

“Saturday was bonkers but Friday even surpassed that, it was very strange,” said Miller, who founded his company four years ago. “I’ve now got trade-in cars with no petrol to move them.”

Along with existing factors such as the expansion of London’s ultra-low emission zone, the fuel crisis has proved to be another trigger point, he said. “People were using it as ‘this is the moment where I’m not going to put this off any longer’.”

The EV market is no longer the preserve of innovators and early adopters, he said, with the most popular models the Nissan Leaf, Volkswagen ID 3 and Jaguar I-Pace.

Ben Strzalko, the owner of Electric Cars UK in Leyland, Lancashire, said that as a small business it would take a few months to feel the knock-on effect of the fuel crisis on sales.

But every time there are problems with petrol or diesel, he said they acted as “one more tick for people making that transition to electric cars”.

He said “a lot of electric car owners will be chuffed to bits this last week” being able to plug in their cars at home. And as an EV driver himself, he admitted feeling a little smug as he drove past queues of 20 cars outside petrol stations over the weekend in his Tesla.

Matt Cleevely, the owner of Cleevely Electric Vehicles in Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, which specialises in used EVs, had a surge of inquiries over the weekend and on Monday morning from customers citing the fuel crisis as a reason for switching to electric.

He expects enthusiasm to continue rising, with petrol shortages adding “fuel to the fire”.

Although he feels sorry for non-EV drivers who have been unable to get fuel, he said as an electric car owner it was “very nice” not to have to worry about where to get petrol at the weekend.

“It’s very convenient that we’ve been able to just fuel up on our driveway. It’s one of the biggest pros of having an electric vehicle.”

The National Franchised Dealers Association also said multiple dealers have reported a spike in EV enquiries since the start of the crisis.

The Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders reported “bumper growth” in the sale of plug-in cars in July, with battery electric vehicles comprising 9% of sales. Plug-in hybrids accounted for 8% of sales and hybrid electric vehicles nearly 12%. Also in July, more electric vehicles were registered than diesel for the second consecutive month.

The UK has pledged to ban the sale of new petrol and diesel cars by 2030 and of new hybrids by 2035.

Warren Philips, the volunteer communities director at EVA England, said the tipping point for EVs had already been reached but the fuel crisis “underlines how electric cars could work for the majority of people”.

He added: “The interest is already there, this just adds to it. And going forward with things like Cop26, with the climate crisis, with the cost of fuel probably going to rise … people will start looking at electric cars where you just skip that entire step.”

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/sep/27/uk-electric-car-inquiries-soar-fuel-supply-crisis

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5187 on: September 28, 2021, 10:09:40 am »
Still well out of my price range.....

UK electric car inquiries soar during fuel supply crisis

Sellers of plug-in vehicles say petrol shortages are driving people to adopt the new technology

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/sep/27/uk-electric-car-inquiries-soar-fuel-supply-crisis
The Guardian can fuck off.
Fuel crisis is flashing red on the home page, then all the content straight from Bloomberg and other sources citing the state of play on the M25 and around West London, which was basically there is no fuel. Spoke to daughter who filled up in W. London with no issue at all.

Article then goes on to talk about health workers and teachers, saying that lessons may have to go back online if teachers can't get onside. Give me strength. Even a paper that at least tries to be a bit different is peddling "news" from other sites with no checking and putting stuff out with no editing.

The press were responsible for stoking up the bog roll panic, they were responsible for inaccurate covid reporting and now they've basically manufactured a crisis out on thin air.

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5188 on: September 28, 2021, 10:44:31 am »
I'm off to join the panic buying idiots.  To become one of the panic buying idiots.

Local newspaper confirming that both BP garages and a Shell garage in the town are still out of fuel.  Tesco and a relatively expensive independent are the last two standing.  Depending on where a small market town with no strategic importance and a long way from any refineries is ranked I guess it may be a while before the tankers come over this way.

It's my nan's funeral on Monday and as it stands I don't have enough petrol to get there, never mind get back.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5189 on: September 28, 2021, 11:22:20 am »
I'm off to join the panic buying idiots.  To become one of the panic buying idiots.

Local newspaper confirming that both BP garages and a Shell garage in the town are still out of fuel.  Tesco and a relatively expensive independent are the last two standing.  Depending on where a small market town with no strategic importance and a long way from any refineries is ranked I guess it may be a while before the tankers come over this way.

It's my nan's funeral on Monday and as it stands I don't have enough petrol to get there, never mind get back.

Sorry to hear that, its stupid beyond belief what has happened for no reason.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5190 on: September 28, 2021, 11:26:22 am »

Its not panic buying if you actually need the fuel. I havent got much left now and at some point we will all need it.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5191 on: September 28, 2021, 11:33:13 am »
The Guardian can fuck off.

The press were responsible for stoking up the bog roll panic, they were responsible for inaccurate covid reporting and now they've basically manufactured a crisis out on thin air.

Yep.  It's definitely the media's fault:

Petrol shortage: no end to panic-buying, says fuel retail boss

Brian Madderson says filling stations are emptied within hours of a delivery as calls grow for the army to step in

Customers are still panic-buying petrol across the country with filling stations emptied within hours, the chair of the Petrol Retailers Association has said, as a Conservative MP urged the army to start deliveries to restore public confidence.

The PRA’s chair, Brian Madderson, said members were worried about putting a £30 cap on purchases because of the risk of people confronting staff and said prioritising key workers for fuel would be unworkable.

“As soon as a tanker arrives at a filling station, people on social media are advising that a tanker has arrived and then it is like bees to a honey pot. Everyone flocks there and … within a few hours it is out again,” he told BBC Radio 4’s Today programme.

Madderson said his members would not be placing limits on buying. “It is confrontational, we don’t want to put our staff at risk with confronting their customers, so that has got some merits, but also a lot of demerits.”

He also said he did not condone profiteering and called on members to think twice about putting up their prices.

“The one thing we do not condone is profiteering in situations like this,” he said. “Most of our members, the independents, have a regular customer base and if they offend their customer base they don’t deserve to have them when this crisis is over,” he said. “People have got long memories and I would urge anybody who thinks about trying to make a fast buck to think again because it just isn’t right.”

No 10 said army drivers would be ready to help deliver petrol and diesel on a short-term basis, but stopped short of an immediate deployment, even though some essential workers have not been able to carry out their jobs without fuel.

Tobias Ellwood, the chair of parliament’s defence select committee, has said the army should be mobilised, not just put on standby, to “regain public confidence” and halt panic-buying.

“The country wants to see the government is in command and it has a clear cross-Whitehall plan,” he told Sky News. “We have gone from 1% fuel pump shortages to 90% so altering people’s buying behaviour to prevent the panic buying and going back to previous purchasing patterns requires regaining the confidence of the nation.

“I believe the army should not just be put on standby but in fact mobilised, be seen to be used. That will help ease the pressure on shortages of course, it will return public confidence, and then on top of that there is the bigger issue about articulating a clear strategy to alleviate the chronic shortage of lorry drivers.”

The shadow home secretary, Nick Thomas-Symonds, said the failure stemmed from government inaction, rather than blaming the public.

He said the HGV driver shortage was a “catastrophic failure of leadership” and said he had warned the transport secretary, Grant Shapps, about the impending disaster.

“We find ourselves in this position because of a complete failure of the government to lead and to plan ahead,” he said. “I and other shadow cabinet colleagues wrote to Grant Shapps back in July highlighting these issues. We got very short shrift from Grant Shapps, who wrote back to us in the first week of August saying, in his words, that he wouldn’t be using foreign labour to solve this issue.

“Now, the government says it wants to train up … and I’m absolutely in favour of training up HGV drivers, but it hasn’t done that to a sufficient extent, nor has it until recently made a very small concession on being able to bring drivers in from abroad.

“So this is a catastrophic failure of leadership, it looks like we’ve ended up with petrol running out, the prime minister talking about bringing the army in. This is a crisis of the government’s own making.”

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2021/sep/28/petrol-shortage-no-end-to-panic-buying-says-fuel-retail-boss

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #5192 on: September 28, 2021, 11:49:10 am »
The PRA whining about people flocking to open stations 'like bees to honey pot' and taking all the fuel within a few hours... but won't recommend members putting a cap on individual purchases.

:duh

There are some places imposes limits - and I've not seen one report of aggro being caused because of this.

Then again, the government should have announced limits (say 20/25 ltr) - but they don't want to upset the typical Brexit 'no-one tells me what I can and can't do' gobshite.

A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline Wullie160975

• Oor Wullie! Your Wullie! A'body's Wullie!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5193 on: September 28, 2021, 11:54:47 am »
I could try a kilt ;D

That was what they were threatening when we were kids.

Scotland with decent weather would by ideal.

My wife (from Scotland) tells me that that's called New Zealand (where she worked for a year).

Online Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #5194 on: September 28, 2021, 11:55:10 am »
The Guardian can fuck right off, the twats

Though, I have to admit, as a life-long cyclist, who's never had a car, I'm having a major case of schadenfreude. You did this to yourself, you fuckers. ;D
How?
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5195 on: September 28, 2021, 11:55:48 am »
Sorry to hear that, its stupid beyond belief what has happened for no reason.
Thanks.  She was a few days short of her 98th birthday and had been completely out of it for nearly a year so in some ways it was a relief.

Anyway, the local Tesco had a crazy queue.  I didn't stop to count but it was snaking all around the car park so I'd think it was easily 50 cars and still more joining at the back.  On my way to the independent garage one of the BP stations was open so they must have had a delivery today.  Probably about a 15 minute wait that was mostly because two coaches were filling up so not bad really.

One of the cashiers was in a running argument with a couple that were filling up all sorts of containers.  Apparently they have a rule of one can per customer - sensibly - but enforcing it is easier said than done!

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5196 on: September 28, 2021, 12:04:35 pm »
Fuel prices are now at an 8 year high due to the panic buying according to the radio news just now :butt :no
Jurgen YNWA

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5197 on: September 28, 2021, 12:08:47 pm »
Fuel prices are now at an 8 year high due to the panic buying according to the radio news just now :butt :no

I've been saying it for pages. Charge £3 a litre for the rest of the week (or over 25 litres) . That'll stop the panicking. Actually any believable measure that will dampen down peoples fears...

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5198 on: September 28, 2021, 12:09:13 pm »

2 years of that 8 were probably at record lows thanks to covid....

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #5199 on: September 28, 2021, 12:13:57 pm »
2 years of that 8 were probably at record lows thanks to covid....

Not really. They dropped to the same levels seen in mid-2017.

That was still about 10p/ltr higher than at the start of 2016.

A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"