Author Topic: LIVERPOOL TRANSFER THREAD - WELCOME, 'A PLAYER'!!  (Read 2513301 times)

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: THE LIVERPOOL SUMMER 2020 TRANSFER THREAD - NOW WITH ADDED ALCANTARA
« Reply #14520 on: September 18, 2020, 12:36:03 pm »
And Troy Deeney scored more than Firmino

Thankfully we don’t just look at the goals column with players, which is unfortunately why Wilson doesn’t have a future here. I doubt Sarr does either to be fair but it doesn’t take an Edwards to see who is the far superior footballer out of the two.

At this point I believe he's paid by Wilson and his family.

Offline MD1990

• Makes your eyes bleed and your brain hurt.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #14521 on: September 18, 2020, 12:40:28 pm »
Sarr is a far far more dangerous player than Wilson.

If he joins he would be our fastest player no doubt about that. He has some flaws but he would be a big threat coming on against tiring legs.
He would need to improve in tight spaces but Im not his biggest fan but not totally against him signing either.

Remember Mane was not regarded as a brillant signing back in 2016. I remember many thought we overpaid.

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14522 on: September 18, 2020, 12:44:02 pm »
Remember Mane was not regarded as a brillant signing back in 2016. I remember many thought we overpaid.

Again with this lazy comparison. For those who watched him play, regularly, he was a brilliant signing. For those who didn't, didn't think so. However, nobody could dispute the fact that he had two productive seasons at Soton scoring 10 plus goals in the league.

Sarr has done sweet fck all in comparison.

There is a significant difference between the two in terms of quality when Mane joined, and where Sarr is right now.

Mane already had numerous things in his game at the time, where as Sarr is currently limited.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #14523 on: September 18, 2020, 12:54:15 pm »
Why does the fee matter?

Because it would likely mean we couldn't then sign a much better attacking wide player who could, without a substantial step-down in our effectiveness, actually deputise  for/rotate with Mane & Salah.
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline MD1990

• Makes your eyes bleed and your brain hurt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14524 on: September 18, 2020, 12:55:50 pm »
Again with this lazy comparison. For those who watched him play, regularly, he was a brilliant signing. For those who didn't, didn't think so. However, nobody could dispute the fact that he had two productive seasons at Soton scoring 10 plus goals in the league.

There is a significant difference between the two in terms of quality when Mane joined, and where Sarr is right now.

Mane already had numerous things in his game at the time, where as Sarr is currently limited.
He was excellent on his day at Southampton.
But he was inconsistent was even on the bench for a spell too. Cam on & scored 2 against us in 2016.
It isnt a lazy comparison. I know Sarr has not been as good but Mane at Southampton was not showing potential to becoming the best left winger in Europe as he wasnt consistent enough.

I saw him quite regularly at Southampton he was a purple patch player in his time there. Scored very fast hatrick against Villa & one against City.

Online Asam

• has a mankini
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14525 on: September 18, 2020, 12:59:45 pm »
Doku is one for the future though, not someone who would come into our squad this season as backup for the front three. Even if we did sign him this summer, it seems likely that he would stay with Anderlecht on loan this season.

There is no perfect age... if he was 25 then the question would be does he want to sit on the bench? I’d compare him to Sterling at 17, if we sign him we have the time for him to integrate & get games in the cup competitions and CL/league games as a sub or starter if the opponent is easier

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14526 on: September 18, 2020, 01:00:35 pm »
He was excellent on his day at Southampton.
But he was inconsistent was even on the bench for a spell too. Cam on & scored 2 against us in 2016.
It isnt a lazy comparison. I know Sarr has not been as good but Mane at Southampton was not showing potential to becoming the best left winger in Europe as he wasnt consistent enough.

I saw him quite regularly at Southampton he was a purple patch player in his time there. Scored very fast hatrick against Villa & one against City.

Again, that's more than what Sarr has done for Watford. So there is still a significant difference between the two ergo why I said it's a poor comparison.

Nobody said that Mane showed at Soton that he would be one of the best players in the world, however what he did show that he could walk into the Liverpool side and be a tremendous addition. As I said, he already had various things in his game, that Sarr does not currently have. A footballing brain is one of them.

Offline smutchin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14527 on: September 18, 2020, 01:09:02 pm »
There is no perfect age... if he was 25 then the question would be does he want to sit on the bench? I’d compare him to Sterling at 17, if we sign him we have the time for him to integrate & get games in the cup competitions and CL/league games as a sub or starter if the opponent is easier

My comment wasn't so much a personal opinion as a summary of what has been said in the rumours doing the rounds - although in fact my opinion is probably in line with these rumours. I honestly don't know whether or not he is ready to step into our first team, nor if there is any substance in the rumours, but the talk seems to be that we would only be signing him now in order to secure him for the future before someone else snaps him up, and leave him at Anderlecht to develop for another year.

And this sounds like the right approach to me. It would be a mistake in my opinion to bring Doku in now and expect him to be backup to Salah this season.

I remember Owen breaking into the team at 17 as well and he was phenomenal at that age, but it didn't work out so great in the long run. Elliott has had a few sniffs of first team action too, but I'm all for holding him back and letting him develop physically. I wouldn't want to be relying on Elliott this season as someone to call up for a full 90 minutes if one of our regular first team options got injured.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2020, 01:11:17 pm by smutchin »

Online Zimagic

• Legacy Fan
  • Liar, liar with your drawers on fire......
« Reply #14528 on: September 18, 2020, 01:12:22 pm »
Sarr, Dembele, whoever, if we're seriously interested in someone, it's because we believe we can do something with them.

I have my doubts about Dembele: injury history, could score more goals but if we're after him it's because we are convinced we can manage his injuries and get him to calm down a bit in front of goal. Don't forget he skied a gilt edge opportunity to kill off the tie at the Nou in the last seconds with oceans of time and space, didn't even trouble the keeper.

I have my doubts about Sarr: Speed is nice but you have to be able to do something with it. Fast players get slower eventually, they need to be able to actually play football too. His touch & decision making need work. His goal tally is fine for a young winger. Again, I'm convinced that he already has what we need to play here if we're targetting him and we can train him to be what we need for all the rest.

Both, either, are fine.

In fact, I think Edwards could convince me that Christian Poulson would be a good signing right about now. That guy can do no wrong in my eyes.
"Truth, Justice, Freedom, Reasonably-Priced Love and a Hard-Boiled Egg!"

Offline lgvkarlos

• Finnished with his shit punnery now.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14529 on: September 18, 2020, 01:12:57 pm »

Agree totally, if we buy Sarr it will definitely be to develop him. He's absolutely nowhere near the level of Mane when he joined.

Offline JC the Messiah

• Legacy Fan
  • ♪ ...and now Jürgen-a believe us... ♬
« Reply #14530 on: September 18, 2020, 01:15:31 pm »
Sarr is a far far more dangerous player than Wilson.

If he joins he would be our fastest player no doubt about that. He has some flaws but he would be a big threat coming on against tiring legs.
He would need to improve in tight spaces but Im not his biggest fan but not totally against him signing either.

I'm sure Usain Bolt is available.
"I said to the boys before the game it would be impossible. But because it’s you, I say we have a chance."
Jürgen Klopp, 7 May 2019

"I told them if we score it will be different. We scored. It was different."
Rafael Benitez, 25 May 2005

Offline lgvkarlos

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14531 on: September 18, 2020, 01:16:41 pm »
Sarr, Dembele, whoever, if we're seriously interested in someone, it's because we believe we can do something with them.

I have my doubts about Dembele: injury history, could score more goals but if we're after him it's because we are convinced we can manage his injuries and get him to calm down a bit in front of goal. Don't forget he skied a gilt edge opportunity to kill off the tie at the Nou in the last seconds with oceans of time and space, didn't even trouble the keeper.

I have my doubts about Sarr: Speed is nice but you have to be able to do something with it. Fast players get slower eventually, they need to be able to actually play football too. His touch & decision making need work. His goal tally is fine for a young winger. Again, I'm convinced that he already has what we need to play here if we're targetting him and we can train him to be what we need for all the rest.

Both, either, are fine.

In fact, I think Edwards could convince me that Christian Poulson would be a good signing right about now. That guy can do no wrong in my eyes.
A fit Dembele is absolute top draw, he would be a be big gamble though.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #14532 on: September 18, 2020, 01:20:42 pm »
I'm sure Usain Bolt is available.

We don’t sign Mancs.

Offline JC the Messiah

• Legacy Fan
  • ♪ ...and now Jürgen-a believe us... ♬
« Reply #14533 on: September 18, 2020, 01:22:48 pm »
We don’t sign Mancs.

I'm sure Tyson Gay is available...
"I said to the boys before the game it would be impossible. But because it’s you, I say we have a chance."
Jürgen Klopp, 7 May 2019

"I told them if we score it will be different. We scored. It was different."
Rafael Benitez, 25 May 2005

Offline lgvkarlos

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14534 on: September 18, 2020, 01:26:27 pm »
We should get Babajide from the ladies team, she looks like the female version of Mane.

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Edgelord. Fabrizio Romanovic, Tancredi Palmerovic, Christian Falkovic, Duncan Castlovic, Jan Aage Fjortovic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14535 on: September 18, 2020, 01:27:54 pm »

To be honest, none of us (you and me included) has watched Sarr on regular basis.

Online Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14536 on: September 18, 2020, 01:28:14 pm »
Mane was a hugely dangerous player before we signed him, the reservations about him were pretty lazy and mostly focused on a barren spell he had in the middle of the season before we signed him. We also had a pretty poor attack at the time and were thinking we needed a 30 goal a season striker. The reservations about Sarr are around him offering very little beyond being young and fast.

Offline Kekule

• Not fussy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14537 on: September 18, 2020, 01:29:09 pm »
“It looks quite promising” is perhaps the understatement of the summer!  ;D

Offline Caston

• Castoff, Knitone, Purlone
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14538 on: September 18, 2020, 01:33:51 pm »
https://twitter.com/footballdaily/status/1306932077678469122

He's arrived at Melwood... can't be too long now

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14539 on: September 18, 2020, 01:35:12 pm »
To be honest, none of us (you and me included) has watched Sarr on regular basis.

A few key things people seem to be missing when it comes to Sarr. Watford spent 30m and made him their record signing for a reason. It's big money for them and all of last season he was involved in a relegation fight in a poor Watford team.

Sarr came alive against us and showed his qualities. His stats for Watford are not that bad. He clearly has talent.

Basically, they is certainly a player in their and Liverpool are currently one of the world best in improving players.

As back up I don't see what the issue is. Oh and we all know Edwards will be able to pull off a good deal.

He's linked with us and Utd for a reason.

Trust the club.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2020, 01:43:19 pm by Fordy »

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Edgelord. Fabrizio Romanovic, Tancredi Palmerovic, Christian Falkovic, Duncan Castlovic, Jan Aage Fjortovic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14540 on: September 18, 2020, 01:39:10 pm »
Mane was a hugely dangerous player before we signed him, the reservations about him were pretty lazy and mostly focused on a barren spell he had in the middle of the season before we signed him. We also had a pretty poor attack at the time and were thinking we needed a 30 goal a season striker. The reservations about Sarr are around him offering very little beyond being young and fast.

At the same age that Sarr is now (22), Mane has signed for Southampton. If the reports are to be believed, we were interested in him at the time, but decided to sign Markovic instead, for a similar amount. Our scouts obviously thought that Markovic is a better prospect than Mane.

Offline Caston

• Castoff, Knitone, Purlone
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14541 on: September 18, 2020, 01:40:15 pm »
A few key things people seem to be missing when it comes to Sarr. Watford spent 30m and made him their record signing for a reason. It's big money for them and all of last season he was involved in a relegation fight in a poor Watford team.

Sarr came alive against us and showed his qualities. His stats for Watford are not that bad.

Basically, they is certainly a player in their and Liverpool are currently one of the world best in improving players.

As back up I don't see what the issue is. Oh and we all know Edwards will be able to pull off a good deal.

Trust the club.

Fordy speaking sense!

Offline aw1991

• Legacy Fan
  • Love Firmino, hate bastards
« Reply #14542 on: September 18, 2020, 01:42:30 pm »
At the same age that Sarr is now (22), Mane has signed for Southampton. If the reports are to be believed, we were interested in him at the time, but decided to sign Markovic instead, for a similar amount. Our scouts obviously thought that Markovic is a better prospect than Mane.
Mane was great for Red Bull Salzburg as well, their best player alongside Kampl. Klopp said he wanted him at Dortmund as well

Offline arthur sarnoff

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14543 on: September 18, 2020, 01:43:55 pm »

I didn't picture Milner as a Ferrari driver, to be honest.

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14544 on: September 18, 2020, 01:44:13 pm »
Mane was great for Red Bull Salzburg as well, their best player alongside Kampl. Klopp said he wanted him at Dortmund as well

In that case, we should trust Klopp. If he wants Sarr, he has a very good reason.

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #14545 on: September 18, 2020, 01:44:31 pm »

I expected Millie to be driving a ford focus or something. Quite surprised by his choice of vehicle
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14546 on: September 18, 2020, 01:44:58 pm »
In that case, we should trust Klopp. If he wants Sarr, he has a very good reason.

Nobody said we shouldn't trust Klopp. The conversation was in regards to the comparison between Mane and Sarr.

Offline Trump's tiny tiny hands

• Legacy Fan
  • Building steam with a grain of salt
« Reply #14547 on: September 18, 2020, 01:45:04 pm »

Makes me doubt everything I have known about anything, to be honest.

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14548 on: September 18, 2020, 01:45:22 pm »

My thought exactly the same  ;D

Online Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14549 on: September 18, 2020, 01:46:44 pm »

That's a big assumption you're making while trying to make whatever point you're going for.

As far as I can tell the argument people are making for signing Sarr is that he's fast and him being not very good might be because he's young, it's not really compelling stuff. It's one of those situations where people only start saying we should sign him after we've been tentatively linked to him, if we weren't linked I'm not sure anyone would be pushing for a player with 5 league goals last season.

Offline Romford_Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14550 on: September 18, 2020, 01:47:18 pm »
One minor positive with AFCON being moved back to January from summer is that it now coincides with the winter break. So instead of missing players for four weeks, we're likely to only miss them for closer to two.

Thinking about that, is it possible Klopp has decided that all that matters is getting in the right player, and they'll figure out the AFCON thing later? So if he thinks Sarr is the one (rightly or wrongly) then would he sacrifice signing him on a five-year deal simply because it helps us mitigate a tricky few weeks in January 2022?

Equally, the club plans things long term. It could be that there's an expectation that one of Mane or Salah depart next summer to be replaced by a non-African attacker (let's say Sancho). In that case, Klopp would know he could let Mane and Sarr go to AFCON while relying on Sancho, Bobby, Firmino, Origi, Elliott etc to see him through? That's not me wishing Mo away, I hope that's not the case - just pointing out that as fans we base things on how they are now, while the club has probably gamed out several different scenarios.

Bobby & Firmino?

Should be useful to have a spare.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14551 on: September 18, 2020, 01:48:14 pm »
In the last hours #LFC have contacted Barca to analyze the possibility of bringing Ousmane Dembélé on loan. Klopp is a huge admirer and believes he can take his attacking options a step up. One thing is certain, Barca won’t let him leave without an obligation to buy. [@SPORT]

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14552 on: September 18, 2020, 01:49:43 pm »
Nobody said we shouldn't trust Klopp. The conversation was in regards to the comparison between Mane and Sarr.

If our professional scouts decided at the time that Markovic is a better prospect than Mane, what makes you think that you and me can judge how Sarr could and would develop? Lets leave that job to the competent scouts we have now, and enjoy the Thiago announcement today.

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #14553 on: September 18, 2020, 01:50:03 pm »

Hold on. Perhaps he is driving Thiago's car for him and he has used his Merc Van ? That would make more sense
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Offline Brain Potter

• Embarrassing. Likes to listen through the walls....Auralist Extrodinaire!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14554 on: September 18, 2020, 01:53:14 pm »
I expected Millie to be driving a ford focus or something. Quite surprised by his choice of vehicle

I thought he drove a vauxhall cavalier.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14555 on: September 18, 2020, 01:53:40 pm »

Are SPORT not bullshit merchants?

Obligation to buy is mad.

Offline Kekule

• Not fussy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14556 on: September 18, 2020, 01:54:58 pm »

I think his Liverpool career has already peaked. He’ll never make as big a contribution to this club as this.

We should keep it as this perfect moment, and not run the risk of ruining his legacy.   ;D

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #14557 on: September 18, 2020, 01:56:07 pm »
Shit pass that, was behind him
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14558 on: September 18, 2020, 01:56:54 pm »
I'd take Dembele on loan in a heartbeat.

Great idea!

Ousmane, Ousmane Dembele
Runs down the wing for me
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #14559 on: September 18, 2020, 01:59:14 pm »

I think the only one who drives a ‘normal’ car is Jürgen Klopp in his Opel, but he’s paid a lot of money to drive a normal car  ;D