Author Topic: Retro games  (Read 7460 times)

Offline Mr Mingebag Squid

• Wire glory hunter
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Retro games
« Reply #80 on: March 31, 2023, 12:27:53 pm »
I'm currently playing through the whole Command & Conquer series, about halfway through the first one.

Still hasn't lost any of its magic and is still an absolute classic!  A relatively simple, yet such an absorbing and addictive game.

Didn't they remaster this a couple of years ago? Or plan to at least?

Loved the originals - A friend lent me his playstation when I broke my leg and the only two games he had were Ridge Racer and Command & Conquer - countless hours were ploughed into C&C
My Sporting Dream Team:-
LFC - Worcester Warriors - Warrington Wolves - New England Patriots - Jenson Button
My Twatter : @MrHappySquid

Online Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #81 on: March 31, 2023, 02:18:51 pm »
Didn't they remaster this a couple of years ago? Or plan to at least?

Loved the originals - A friend lent me his playstation when I broke my leg and the only two games he had were Ridge Racer and Command & Conquer - countless hours were ploughed into C&C

They did:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1213210/Command__Conquer_Remastered_Collection/

Although I'm playing through the original.  Bought the whole collection for like £2 ages ago.  It's still just as good as it was, when I first played it.  Cracking music, good enough storyline, and highly addictive gameplay!

Easy to start, hard to put down, as they say.

I never played it on the Playstation, but my mate said it was decent on their too.

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
Re: Retro Gamers
« Reply #82 on: March 31, 2023, 03:21:22 pm »
Jet Set Willy

I think you can get cream for that!

Decent emulator for all sorts of PC hardware here :-

https://pcem-emulator.co.uk/

Project still going

Online Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #83 on: April 1, 2023, 02:48:23 pm »
Steam today showed me some new hex-based WW1 strategy game, this reminded me of many hours spent in the mid 90s playing Historyline 1914-18 (a WW1 version of the old Battle Isle games)

Basic as hell, but it included land, sea and air combat (and even had trains). These games were spiritual forerunners to things like Advance Wars as the units went into a little animation when they fought. There do seem to be a couple of more modern, similar games, but the reviews are always mixed, the games are full of bugs or they're fan projects that were never finished. I've looked for a download of HL itself, but I know I'll play it for about 10 minutes before getting annoyed with the low resolutions, crappy AI etc.

The tactical view, showing a tiny part of the map. You had to scroll endlessly to find units across the battlefield. I think the terrain types did give you bonuses to defence, movement, etc.

The battle view. You couldn't control anything, just watch as the strengths of the opposing units was compared and damage dealt. Notice Belgium's famous mountains in the background.
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Online Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #84 on: April 1, 2023, 03:17:54 pm »
Steam today showed me some new hex-based WW1 strategy game, this reminded me of many hours spent in the mid 90s playing Historyline 1914-18 (a WW1 version of the old Battle Isle games)

Basic as hell, but it included land, sea and air combat (and even had trains). These games were spiritual forerunners to things like Advance Wars as the units went into a little animation when they fought. There do seem to be a couple of more modern, similar games, but the reviews are always mixed, the games are full of bugs or they're fan projects that were never finished. I've looked for a download of HL itself, but I know I'll play it for about 10 minutes before getting annoyed with the low resolutions, crappy AI etc.

The tactical view, showing a tiny part of the map. You had to scroll endlessly to find units across the battlefield. I think the terrain types did give you bonuses to defence, movement, etc.

The battle view. You couldn't control anything, just watch as the strengths of the opposing units was compared and damage dealt. Notice Belgium's famous mountains in the background.

I haven't played them yet, but the whole Battle Isle series is in my GOG library (one of many).

I remember playing Battle Isle years ago and really enjoyed it.

The whole collection is currently on sale:

https://www.gog.com/game/battle_isle_platinum

Blue Byte (the developers) also made a game called The Settlers - another classic.

Luckily, I don't really care about graphics/resolution, just as long as the gameplay is good.  I actually prefer the older stuff - seems the developers put more effort into the gameplay, as opposed to just the aesthetics.
« Last Edit: April 1, 2023, 03:26:40 pm by Red-Soldier »

Online Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #85 on: April 1, 2023, 04:58:58 pm »
This is on my next play list:

Currently a bargain price:

https://www.gog.com/en/game/homeworld_remastered_collection

Online Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #86 on: April 1, 2023, 05:12:51 pm »
Luckily, I don't really care about graphics/resolution

Graphics isn't the issue, but I've found it hard to play games that were designed for 640x480 etc screens. To see them properly you generally run them in windows that are pretty tiny on a modern monitor, and it takes away from the immersion of gaming to see the bulk of my regular desktop at the edges. Alternatively you can try to stretch it out to fill the screen, but that has its own issues, with individual pixels now being pretty large, it's like sitting way too close to the screen.

I do have a smaller 5:4 monitor somewhere that I bought to build a retro gaming rig on a Raspberry Pi, I just never got round to it.
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #87 on: April 1, 2023, 09:13:48 pm »
Playing Nightdive's remaster of Blade Runner. Iffy start but the last patch made it decent. Very atmospheric

I stalled Fallout 1 as well

I am gonna download a load of arcade games I think. Got my PC hooked up to my telly so might get https://emulationstation.org/

Offline Nitramdorf

• No longer as forward as he used to be, so has dropped back into midfield. Didn't you hear?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #88 on: April 2, 2023, 06:21:21 pm »

Hi there, heres a download link if you wanted to try it again

https://gamesnostalgia.com/game/historyline-1914-1918

Quite a few good games on that site. Have just spent the weekend playing Civ 2 and loved it so much.

Online Riquende

• Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #89 on: April 3, 2023, 11:12:24 am »
Hi there, heres a download link if you wanted to try it again

https://gamesnostalgia.com/game/historyline-1914-1918

Quite a few good games on that site. Have just spent the weekend playing Civ 2 and loved it so much.

Ta, it was pretty much as I thought - got a solid hour's nostalgia kick but it's a tough game to play these days. The resolution wasn't really that much of an issue, but the control system is a joke, as it was designed for people playing with a joystick. It's all 'put the hex cursor here, then press a button and push up, down left or right for unit options'. The enemy AI is as bad as reported - they just wander forward and attack the closest units whilst you focus-shell the crap out of each infantry unit in turn. It might be fun to play local multiplayer, but that isn't likely...

I might look up a code for one of the later, bigger battles for one last hurrah. And then check out that brand new WW1 game on Steam...

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #90 on: April 3, 2023, 11:27:57 am »
I'm still looking to play the old GTA, GTA 2 and GTA London if anybody knows a way to? I've got a Macbook and a windows laptop (which I use for work) but would prefer to play on the Macbook.

Online Riquende

• Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #91 on: April 3, 2023, 03:10:19 pm »
I'm still looking to play the old GTA, GTA 2 and GTA London if anybody knows a way to? I've got a Macbook and a windows laptop (which I use for work) but would prefer to play on the Macbook.

I was going to say that GTA & GTA 2 are in my Steam library, but it seems they are no longer available, and recent reviews suggest they don't work properly (I got them in a bundle and played them both ages ago so never bothered through Steam).

I followed a series of links from a post on Reddit about playing them and ended up here:

https://gtaforums.com/topic/860039-grand-theft-auto-max-pack-a-complete-pack-ala-gog/#comments

Who know, may work - except that, going by recent comments on that thread, modern versions of OSX won't run the Mac version as it's not 64 bit.

Online Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: April 3, 2023, 03:28:07 pm »
Playing Nightdive's remaster of Blade Runner. Iffy start but the last patch made it decent. Very atmospheric

I stalled Fallout 1 as well

I am gonna download a load of arcade games I think. Got my PC hooked up to my telly so might get https://emulationstation.org/

I remember buying Blade Runner when it was first released and being blown away!  I do love a dark, sci-fi, adventure, mystery game, so it was right up my street.

I only have the empty box now, not sure where the discs have gone.  I bought the orginal a while back on GOG, but haven't heard great things about the remaster.

Can't remember the last time I played Fallout 1 and 2?  I remember completing them both, but must be years ago!  I picked them both up (and Brotherhood of Steel) on a giveaway last year.
« Last Edit: April 3, 2023, 03:32:24 pm by Red-Soldier »

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #93 on: April 4, 2023, 11:54:40 am »
I was going to say that GTA & GTA 2 are in my Steam library, but it seems they are no longer available, and recent reviews suggest they don't work properly (I got them in a bundle and played them both ages ago so never bothered through Steam).

I followed a series of links from a post on Reddit about playing them and ended up here:

https://gtaforums.com/topic/860039-grand-theft-auto-max-pack-a-complete-pack-ala-gog/#comments

Who know, may work - except that, going by recent comments on that thread, modern versions of OSX won't run the Mac version as it's not 64 bit.

Nice one mate! Will give it a whirl.

Offline theredguy03

• Put balls in his mouth and nearly choked
  • Legacy Fan
  • Coutinho- Used to be Man City's tormentor
« Reply #94 on: April 4, 2023, 07:33:42 pm »
Playing the Switch NES and SNES emulators and completed the original Legend of Zelda now starting Link to the Past. Not a fan of adventure games but these two titles in particular have won me round.

Amazing graphics and smooth gameplay but the music in particular is a masterpiece considering both titles came out on 8 bit and 16 bit consoles respectively!
My favourite all time LFC player? Tough choice.

Offline F-T-9

• Anny Roader
« Reply #95 on: April 5, 2023, 10:16:56 am »
Command and Conquer is legendary. My relatives in Dubai still play C&C Generals Zero Hour at gaming cafes out there, it's still widely played in UAE.

I usually go back every now and then to finish Super Mario World on the SNES - probably my favourite game of all time.

Offline Metallinick

• Anny Roader
« Reply #96 on: April 6, 2023, 05:00:41 am »
I've got a stand-up arcade machine in the theater room at home with 3000+ games on it. It doesn't get used as much as it should but I fired it up last night and was having a heap of fun with Double Dragon, Shinobi, NBA Jam, Tekken, etc.

Offline Ycuzz

• of the wonderful things he does! I've soiled myself..
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #97 on: April 6, 2023, 09:15:59 am »
I've got a stand-up arcade machine in the theater room at home with 3000+ games on it. It doesn't get used as much as it should but I fired it up last night and was having a heap of fun with Double Dragon, Shinobi, NBA Jam, Tekken, etc.

Can I invite myself over? I'll bring beer and pizza! ;D
@Yvanicuzz

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #98 on: April 6, 2023, 09:22:37 am »

Didn't work for me this unfortunately. Tried it on the windows laptop aswell. Will keep looking!

Offline dalarr

• hästarr. Call me sensitive.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99 on: April 16, 2023, 07:45:12 pm »
Pilotwings SNES. Gameplay still holds up, soundtrack is magnificent. I remember how groundbreaking the graphics were back in the early day of 16-bit consoles.

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #100 on: April 17, 2023, 08:24:04 pm »
Command and Conquer is legendary. My relatives in Dubai still play C&C Generals Zero Hour at gaming cafes out there, it's still widely played in UAE.

I usually go back every now and then to finish Super Mario World on the SNES - probably my favourite game of all time.

Zero Hour is wildly underrated

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101 on: April 18, 2023, 12:22:28 am »
My mate has one of these, it's legit incredible.

Online Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #102 on: April 18, 2023, 12:51:04 pm »

I've seen/read about these machines, but haven't played on one yet.  How does it play?

I remember spending hours on Double Dragon at the arcade, and on my Atari ST

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #103 on: April 18, 2023, 05:01:36 pm »
Nice one mate! Will give it a whirl.

Let me know if it works? And what Macbook do you have? Mine's an M1 Air
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline Craig Mac

• Leeches files boo hiss!
  • Kopite
  • We shall not, we shall not be moved!
« Reply #104 on: April 20, 2023, 03:42:37 pm »
Thinking about getting one of those small handheld retro gaming consoles. Anyone got one and can recommend? There is far too much choice!!

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #105 on: April 21, 2023, 09:02:53 am »

Might be worth having a look at Combat Mission on GOG

Pretty accurate and hundreds of tutorials, but you can use scenarios created by other people, the wadge of scenarios included or create your own.

https://www.gog.com/game/combat_mission_beyond_overlord

£4.99
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline has gone odd

• a tru-ro...I mean....red!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #106 on: April 21, 2023, 11:16:18 am »
Thinking about getting one of those small handheld retro gaming consoles. Anyone got one and can recommend? There is far too much choice!!

My personal device is a Miyoo Mini v2, it did have an sd with Onion OS pre-installed with a tonnes of games from near every system you can think of, up to PS1.

The Anbernic RG35XX is also a highly rated device but not tried it out. It uses Garlic OS which is an attempt to copy Onion OS, which is only on Miyoo systems.

- all in my opinion of course -

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #107 on: April 21, 2023, 11:26:52 am »

Have a look at my posts on previous pages.

I've got a Retroid 3+ and it is incredible once it's all set up. I'm playing everything up to the PlayStation 2 with no issues at all.

GameCube, playstation 1, PSP all play no problem. Plays some PS2 games and even a few Switch and Vita games

Offline Judge Red

• Kopite
« Reply #108 on: April 24, 2023, 07:37:22 pm »
My personal device is a Miyoo Mini v2, it did have an sd with Onion OS pre-installed with a tonnes of games from near every system you can think of, up to PS1.

The Anbernic RG35XX is also a highly rated device but not tried it out. It uses Garlic OS which is an attempt to copy Onion OS, which is only on Miyoo systems.

Got my youngest the Anbernic RG351mp. It’s a solid effort. Buttons feel good on it and the metal case makes it feel more durable than others I’ve had in the past. Swapped out the stock memory cards it came with for more reliable brands and it’s been bulletproof. Bit shit how you have to add a wireless dongle but apart from that i think its value for money. Plays pretty much everything but some of the dreamcast, psp titles can struggle.

Offline Craig Mac

• Leeches files boo hiss!
  • Kopite
  • We shall not, we shall not be moved!
« Reply #109 on: April 25, 2023, 02:57:57 pm »
Thanks for the recommendations. I am now leaning towards the ambernic rg353v. I quite like the vertical gameboy like form factor, and like this has analogue sticks and is slightly more powerful than other devices so can play for things like n64.

Online Riquende

• Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #110 on: May 4, 2023, 12:55:37 pm »
I heard about this and got it working the other day:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/oEVrdwZ9bEk" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/oEVrdwZ9bEk</a>

The only thing stopping me diving in right now is my flight stick being elsewhere right now, and not 100% happy with how it flies via an Xbox controller.

You can play the entire original campaign right now, or play it 'reimagined', in which the campaigns are being rewritten to take advantage of the new engine & modern PC power (currently 8 of the 13 battles have been redone).

The only downside seems to be that the 'secret order' missions are now just upfront objectives, although this does mean no laborious scrolling through 2 separate mission briefings each time.

It's mental what people can accomplish these days, apparently this fan remake of a 29 year old game (using a 24 year old game's engine) has VR support.
« Last Edit: May 4, 2023, 01:02:06 pm by Riquende »

Offline leinad

• Kopite
« Reply #111 on: May 15, 2023, 06:18:13 pm »

Have you ever used a Raspberry Pi before? I setup Retropie on one years back to get the full Snes & Master system catalogue and you could put ps1 games on it as well, might be worth looking into.

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #112 on: May 17, 2023, 10:49:53 pm »
Thanks for the recommendations. I am now leaning towards the ambernic rg353v. I quite like the vertical gameboy like form factor, and like this has analogue sticks and is slightly more powerful than other devices so can play for things like n64.

Think you would be better off going for an rg405m or the rp3+ if slightly higher-end systems like the n64 are of interest to you, just gives you a more ergonomic device if you intend using the analogue sticks on systems that require it.

As far as vertical devices, I think they are better suited to 8-bit and 16-bit systems and in that case you might as well save a bit of cash and go for the more compact options of rg35xx or miyoo mini plus.

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #113 on: May 18, 2023, 09:36:21 am »
Getting a Miyoo Mini Plus to satisfy my 16bit urges

Will put the Onion OS on it too

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #114 on: May 20, 2023, 03:11:27 pm »
Getting a Miyoo Mini Plus to satisfy my 16bit urges

Will put the Onion OS on it too

On archive org there is a nicely curated set that is ideal for the level of performance of the rg35xx and the miyoo mini plus, just do a search for Tiny Best Set: GO! and you'll find it.

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #115 on: May 25, 2023, 09:22:48 am »
Worth being aware of, if anyone's dose of retro gaming includes the 3ds, the new update from nintendo breaks a lot of the easier methods of hacking them for homebrew. Quite petty timing since they have just killed off the eshop and there's a bunch of stuff that was digital-only that is now unavailable legally.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2023/05/nintendo-is-still-trying-to-patch-hacking-exploits-for-the-defunct-3ds/

Offline ScottScott

• Thugby...It's just not rugger old chap!!!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #116 on: May 25, 2023, 09:54:53 am »
How Nintendo are so popular I'll never understand. It's like they constantly go out of their way to fuck over fans of older games

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #117 on: May 25, 2023, 10:12:11 am »
It seems so odd that they don't take the whole idea of switch online and run with it, put out all their back catalogue up to a certain generation (n64 for example) on it and they'd make so much from subs and would still have a couple more generations for them to churn out remasters too.

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #118 on: May 25, 2023, 10:24:00 am »
How Nintendo are so popular I'll never understand. It's like they constantly go out of their way to fuck over fans of older games

Because they are the GOATs of this console business.

Online Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #119 on: May 25, 2023, 02:29:48 pm »
Because they are the GOATs of this console business.

Nintendo and Sega for me.  I was always a Sega fan, in my youth.  But since they pulled out of the console market to focus on games, there was only one place to go.

I've always been a PC gamer too, so the Xbox was a logical choice for me also.

Pleased to say I've never owned a Sony console.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2023, 02:31:57 pm by Red-Soldier »