Author Topic: Darwin awards 2020  (Read 4629 times)

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
Darwin awards 2020
« on: February 23, 2020, 09:49:21 am »
Sewn up in February, I reckon.

'Mad' Mike Hughes dies after crash-landing homemade rocket https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-51602655

I had read about this guy several times before. Wanted to propel himself into space to prove the earth is flat.

A US daredevil pilot has been killed during an attempted launch of a homemade rocket in the Californian desert.
"Mad" Mike Hughes, 64, crash-landed his steam-powered rocket shortly after take-off near Barstow on Saturday.
A video on social media shows a rocket being fired into the sky before plummeting to the ground nearby.
Hughes was well-known for his belief that the Earth was flat. He hoped to prove his theory by going to space.

Offline BlackandWhitePaul

• Principled Newcastle fan- who gave up following his team rather than support Saudi takeover
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Darwin awards 2020
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2020, 09:55:52 am »
Show me the video dude    :)

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Jurgen YNWA

• Principled Newcastle fan- who gave up following his team rather than support Saudi takeover
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2020, 10:24:11 am »
Thanks Rob.

Well, he didn't get far did he?   I've flown a kite higher than that    ;)

Some of the comments on youtube are hilarious. 

Mad Mike and his assistants built the homemade rocket in his backyard, spending around $18,000 (£14,000).   Maybe he should have invested a couple of hundred on a decent parachute ehh.

RIP Mad Mike    :(

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2020, 10:33:46 am »
Thanks Rob.

Mad Mike and his assistants built the homemade rocket in his backyard, spending around $18,000 (£14,000).   Maybe he should have invested a couple of hundred on a decent parachute ehh.

It is sad when someone who was talented dies, people like him add to the enjoyment of being alive. Brilliant that he made a steam powered rocket too.

RIP mad Mike
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2020, 10:45:59 am »
Thanks Rob.

Barnibus Snaples
Barnibus Snaples
3 hours ago
I guess the earth proved Mike was flat in the end.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • i neither know nor care
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2020, 01:23:21 pm »
Sewn up in February, I reckon.

'Mad' Mike Hughes dies after crash-landing homemade rocket https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-51602655

I had read about this guy several times before. Wanted to propel himself into space to prove the earth is flat.

Well, he proved it was hard.

Quote from: Lee1-6Liv
Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Offline thejbs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2020, 01:30:43 pm »
Clear evidence of a flat earth. The rocket goes up, crashes into the firmament and falls to earth.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2020, 01:46:41 pm »
Clear evidence of a flat earth. The rocket goes up, crashes into the firmament and falls to earth.

Man ends up flat.

Flat-earth-man.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2020, 01:57:34 pm »
It is sad when someone who was talented dies, people like him add to the enjoyment of being alive. Brilliant that he made a steam powered rocket too.

RIP mad Mike

Disagree, the world lost a moron, boo hoo

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2020, 05:54:54 pm »
Disagree, the world lost a moron, boo hoo

I read up on him, he decided to see for himself whether the earth was flat or not, he wasn't actually saying it was flat, just that he was undecided after research, so wanted to see it with his own eyes. I'd love to have the skills to build a rocket and fly up and see it for myself.

Now if anyone of a load of Tories was to die.............................
Jurgen YNWA

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2020, 06:00:21 pm »
I read up on him, he decided to see for himself whether the earth was flat or not, he wasn't actually saying it was flat, just that he was undecided after research, so wanted to see it with his own eyes. I'd love to have the skills to build a rocket and fly up and see it for myself.

If you are undecided on whether the Earth is flat, you are a moron.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2020, 06:36:09 pm »

He flew a rocket over a pub, what have you done?
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline rowan_d

• boat. Señor Paolo de Souza-Farquharson :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2020, 06:37:58 pm »
That's the real quiz

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2020, 07:03:24 pm »

Plenty of moronic things, that's for sure.

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2020, 07:57:37 pm »

He wished he had the skills to build a rocket too...

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2020, 08:47:12 pm »
. . . .  and I think it's gonna be a long, long time    :(

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2020, 10:39:08 pm »

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2020, 10:42:39 pm »
I mean, what an utter cock.

A weather balloon , some helium and a Go Pro and he could have proved the same thing.

“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2020, 09:01:14 am »

A weather balloon , some helium and a Go Pro and he could have proved the same thing.

Or go on holiday and look out the plane window...

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2020, 09:11:22 am »
Thomas Edison conducted thousands of failed experiments before the light bulb.

No doubts he was labled a moron     ;)

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2020, 09:12:49 am »

You're not high enough as you don't get a big enough field of vision out of a plane window - apparently the beach is a better place.

Harsh ;D

Jurgen YNWA

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2020, 09:16:12 am »
Thomas Edison conducted thousands of failed experiments before the light bulb.

No doubts he was labled a moron     ;)
According to Rutgers, Myth Buster: Edison's 10,000 attempts, "The source of the story about Edison trying thousands of experiments or materials is probably an 1890 interview in Harper's Monthly Magazine."

The exact quote by Edison:

"I speak without exaggeration when I say that I have constructed three thousand different theories in connection with the electric light, each one of them reasonable and apparently to be true. Yet only in two cases did my experiments prove the truth of my theory. My chief difficulty, as perhaps you know, was in constructing the carbon filament, the incandescence of which is the source of the light."

The Rutgers article also describes another quote by Edison in a 1910 biography as it relates to Edison's later work on storage batteries.

The book quotes Edison's friend and associate Walter S. Mallory:

"I said: 'Isn't it a shame that with the tremendous amount of work you have done you haven't been able to get any results?' Edison turned on me like a flash, and with a smile replied: 'Results! Why, man, I have gotten lots of results! I know several thousand things that won't work!'"

The Thomas A. Edison Papers of Rutgers University is probably the most reliable source of information on Thomas Edison.

. . . . . . and Mad Mike has a result, he knows what doesn't work    :(

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2020, 09:47:21 am »
. . . . . . and Mad Mike has a result, he knows what doesn't work    :(

His vital organs?

Offline Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2020, 10:42:53 am »

RIP mad Mike

nah

Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2020, 11:17:42 am »
His website
https://madmikehughes.com/

1st thing you see is 'The worlds greatest daredevil'  and 'The real rocketman'    :D

Offline KillieRed

• Jaro a.k.a. goatjumpingqueuefucker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2020, 11:35:19 am »

No, no, no. Those plane windows are curved, therefore making it look like the horizon is curving*

*actual flat-earther argument.
The best way to scare a Tory is to read and get rich” - Idles.

Offline Lee1-6Liv

• Daddy Discord
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2020, 11:59:40 am »

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2020, 12:11:26 pm »
Stop all fires  :lmao :lmao
He probably thought that one up when one of his hairbrained idea's burned his house down    :)

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2020, 01:14:34 pm »
No, no, no. Those plane windows are curved, therefore making it look like the horizon is curving*

*actual flat-earther argument.

Cringe, I've heard that one used seriously!!

The Ancient Greeks noticed the curve of the earth as boats would vanish over the horizon. This fella couldn't even think of that.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2020, 01:28:42 pm »
nah

Having seen that, then Nah, fuck him.

Sounds just like Trump, can we get that c*nt to go in the next rocket?
Jurgen YNWA

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2020, 01:35:39 pm »
Having seen that, then Nah, fuck him.

Sounds just like Trump, can we get that c*nt to go in the next rocket?
The Rocketman to beat all rocketmen.  The most beautiful, perfect rocketman    :)

Offline Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2020, 01:38:18 pm »
This guy sounds like a really shit, modern day, real-life version of the Baltimore Gun Club in the Jules Verne novel 'De le terre a la' a Luna,) where they aimed to build a cannon powerful enough to shoot themselves to the moon.

Offline thejbs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2020, 04:45:47 pm »

You clearly don’t ‘get’ America. Why send a go pro up on a weather balloon when you can strap yourself to a rocket?

Online SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2020, 04:46:47 pm »
You clearly don’t ‘get’ America. Why send a go pro up on a weather balloon when you can strap yourself to a rocket?

;D so true
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • i neither know nor care
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2020, 06:10:55 pm »
nah

Ah well - full of hot air and now killed by his own steam rocket.

If only the Yanks understood irony.

Quote from: Lee1-6Liv
Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2020, 06:39:35 pm »
Hmm I don’t agree with his fire stopping policy, but I do approve of his traffic stopping policy.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2020, 06:59:27 pm »
I think it’s gonna be a long long time before someone tries a similar stunt.

Offline stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2020, 08:42:16 pm »
I've watched a lot of flat earth theories lately on SciManDan's YouTube channel. One thing I've definitely learned is that flat earth people don't have the best relationship with science. So the result of this "experiment" is not very surprising...

Offline Umbarto

• of the Red Dojo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan