Author Topic: Kirk Douglas 1916-2020  (Read 2007 times)

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
Kirk Douglas 1916-2020
« on: February 6, 2020, 12:54:24 am »
Another genuine legend leaves. 103 tho?! Amazing. One of the greats.

Offline peelyon

• strangefruit
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
Re: Kirk Douglas 1916-2020
« Reply #1 on: February 6, 2020, 01:31:00 am »
I'm Spartacus!

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #2 on: February 6, 2020, 01:51:12 am »
Legendary actor.

RIP Kirk.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #3 on: February 6, 2020, 02:14:41 am »
RIP

Ace in the Hole is maybe my favourite/ultimate Kirk Douglas. A film so ahead of its time in its cynicism that it temporarily derailed Billy Wilder's career

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #4 on: February 6, 2020, 07:23:10 am »
What a career, what a man.

Just a couple of weeks ago I was talking to wifey about him while watching Lonely are the Brave on daytime TV and like Olivia de Havilland who's still around and the same age as him, we reckoned he couldn't have had much longer to go.

Like his good friend and often co-star Burt Lancaster, he was one of the first big stars to break from the traditional Hollywood setup of studio control over what he could do and create his own film company back in the 50's giving himself much more control over his career, not that his choices were always the most financially rewarding.

But without the likes of him pioneering this independence, people like Cassevetes would never have been able to get off the ground.

I really liked much of his work, from as a child seeing him in the early 60's in 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea at school at one of the Christmas film shows that we used to have. While not the best of the films he appeared in, in later years when viewing it again it was remarkable for the truly awful ham acting of much of the cast and the strange vaguely homoerotic outfits of the sailors of the Nautilus, but it bought him, and probably lots of kids of that era, to my attention at an early age.

This was closely followed by seeing him in the influential The Vikings, a film I still find watchable and entertaining to this day over 60 years since it was made.

Later I watched his notable films Gunfight at the OK Corral, Spartacus, Paths of Glory, Heroes of Telemark and also several of his lesser known films, all usually good quality productions.

I'd highly recomend Lonely are the Brave for the cineasts amongst you, a wonderful little elegaic black and white film about the fate of an end of an era traditional cowboy as the ranges became fenced off.

There's very few of them left now.

« Last Edit: February 6, 2020, 07:31:44 am by The Gulleysucker »
I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #5 on: February 6, 2020, 07:40:44 am »
It was the film The Vikings which captivated me in my youth,loved that..very sad to see a true icon leave us.

Great inningS fella..RIP.
Support the team,Trust & Believe.

Offline Nitramdorf

• No longer as forward as he used to be, so has dropped back into midfield. Didn't you hear?
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #6 on: February 6, 2020, 07:52:33 am »
RIP I loved seeing him when I was a kid playing Captain Nemo, fighting the giant squid. Loved Spartacus a few years later.

A true name and legend. I cannot see these iconic film stars ever being replaced, maybe its just a sign of the times. Nowadays they seem to be just actors rather than stars.

Offline KillieRed

• Jaro a.k.a. goatjumpingqueuefucker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #7 on: February 6, 2020, 08:43:41 am »
A total legend. One of the last from the first great era of Hollywood.

Paths of Glory & Spartacus are brilliant movies.
The best way to scare a Tory is to read and get rich” - Idles.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #8 on: February 6, 2020, 10:44:58 am »

RIP Kirky
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Sir Capon of Debaser

• #SAUSAGES Pheasant plucking, midget chucking, jazz sax blowing, wannabe mod who'd like to be Danny Dyer's Bitch but too scared to ask in public for a name change, the pussy.....would gladly do one for mouth. Adores cats! RAWK Factor Winner 1897.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
    • https://murderouskaburdacus.bandcamp.com/
« Reply #9 on: February 6, 2020, 11:22:53 am »
One of the best over actors I’ve ever seen

Used to love watching his fleems with my dad. We’d laugh our heads off at all of his over the top poses.

2 of my earliest memories of fleems were Ulysses and Vikings. Brilliant

R.I.P. Chuffer xx

Offline BlackandWhitePaul

• Principled Newcastle fan- who gave up following his team rather than support Saudi takeover
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: February 6, 2020, 01:20:42 pm »
I'm Spartacus.

• #SAUSAGES Pheasant plucking, midget chucking, jazz sax blowing, wannabe mod who'd like to be Danny Dyer's Bitch but too scared to ask in public for a name change, the pussy.....would gladly do one for mouth. Adores cats! RAWK Factor Winner 1897.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
« Reply #11 on: February 6, 2020, 01:26:54 pm »

Offline Igor Tripod Biscan

• Got it, got off it, got on with it. Is rice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96
« Reply #12 on: February 6, 2020, 02:42:21 pm »
Natalie Wood is trending on Twitter...had never heard that story
Liverpool is the pool of life.
Carl Jung, 1961.  Alan Partridge didn't ask for a second season you meff

• Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
« Reply #13 on: February 6, 2020, 02:51:01 pm »
Thats a bit mad,neither had i.

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #14 on: February 6, 2020, 06:46:40 pm »
It was the film The Vikings which captivated me in my youth,loved that..very sad to see a true icon leave us.

Me too Med - our dads had Gary Cooper and James Stewart but for us late '50's/early '60's lads it was Kirk and Burt.

RIP Kirk.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: February 9, 2020, 09:18:23 pm »
Ridiculously late here but, RIP. A star and film legend.

Offline lucabrasi

• sleepswiththefishes
  • Main Stander
« Reply #16 on: February 9, 2020, 09:56:34 pm »

Same here. that movie. The line at the end "why did he hesitate?" by Curtis. Then the Viking funeral. Epic. Great actor. Larger than life.

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #17 on: February 9, 2020, 10:39:44 pm »
Same here. that movie.

This scene alone....

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/dX_-T9RzF9g" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/dX_-T9RzF9g</a>
I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2020, 11:49:01 am »
This scene alone....

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/dX_-T9RzF9g" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/dX_-T9RzF9g</a>

Beat me to it Gulley!

This scene too..

<a href="https://youtube.com/v/ZqJHqXERslM" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://youtube.com/v/ZqJHqXERslM</a>

Support the team,Trust & Believe.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2020, 02:23:25 pm »

I really liked much of his work, from as a child seeing him in the early 60's in 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea at school at one of the Christmas film shows that we used to have. While not the best of the films he appeared in, in later years when viewing it again it was remarkable for the truly awful ham acting of much of the cast and the strange vaguely homoerotic outfits of the sailors of the Nautilus, but it bought him, and probably lots of kids of that era, to my attention at an early age.

Particularly the plastic octopus.

Edit - Squid or possibly even a kracken - or was that John Whyndham? ;D
« Last Edit: February 10, 2020, 02:25:30 pm by So... Howard Phillips »

Offline Tonyh8su

• Tonyign0r35u
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2020, 01:28:04 am »

Came on to ask why nothing had been said about this post his death. Glad to hear it has been raised.

RIP.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: August 2, 2021, 05:17:14 pm »
I cannot believe I missed this event, and I'm saddened it hasn't received more attention.

This guy had the lot.  He could do the drama and the comedy and the action - most often all at once. He did some bloody awful films in the vein of "so bad they're good", which only adds to his ability imo.

Was browsing his Wiki page and noted his family kept the cause of death private.  Given the timing, I'd hate to think he got done by Covid.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: August 3, 2021, 11:26:13 pm »
What a career, what a man.

Just a couple of weeks ago I was talking to wifey about him while watching Lonely are the Brave on daytime TV and like Olivia de Havilland who's still around and the same age as him, we reckoned he couldn't have had much longer to go.

Like his good friend and often co-star Burt Lancaster, he was one of the first big stars to break from the traditional Hollywood setup of studio control over what he could do and create his own film company back in the 50's giving himself much more control over his career, not that his choices were always the most financially rewarding.

But without the likes of him pioneering this independence, people like Cassevetes would never have been able to get off the ground.

This was closely followed by seeing him in the influential The Vikings, a film I still find watchable and entertaining to this day over 60 years since it was made.

Later I watched his notable films Gunfight at the OK Corral, Spartacus, Paths of Glory, Heroes of Telemark and also several of his lesser known films, all usually good quality productions.

I'd highly recomend Lonely are the Brave for the cineasts amongst you, a wonderful little elegaic black and white film about the fate of an end of an era traditional cowboy as the ranges became fenced off.

There's very few of them left now.

Miss you Gulley.

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #23 on: August 3, 2021, 11:31:18 pm »
One of my all time fav actors, Spartacus, Vikings, Paths Of Glory are essential viewing and his best performances.

I remember watching Vikings as a kid, and actually being upset when he died in the film, years later i saw Spartacus and had a wry smile when he got his revenge against Tony Curtis. ;D
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #24 on: August 5, 2021, 12:10:19 am »
Top tier Kirk Douglas: Ace in the Hole, The Vikings, Paths of Glory, Spartacus

Next tier: 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, Two Weeks in Another Town, Lonely Are the Brave, Young Man with a Horn, Champion, Lust for Life, Seven Days in May 

Great films in which he isn't the lead: A Letter to Three Wives, Out of the Past

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2021, 11:38:28 pm »
Top tier Kirk Douglas: Ace in the Hole, The Vikings, Paths of Glory, Spartacus

Next tier: 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, Two Weeks in Another Town, Lonely Are the Brave, Young Man with a Horn, Champion, Lust for Life, Seven Days in May 

Great films in which he isn't the lead: A Letter to Three Wives, Out of the Past

Honestly, I loved Tough Guys. "What does she think I am, eighteen!?"
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art