Author Topic: 2020 in Music  (Read 39283 times)

Offline Dull Tools

• Likes James Corden.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: 2020 in Music
« Reply #360 on: August 10, 2020, 12:40:21 pm »
Hmmm I'm not so sure. Lady Gaga released a similar type of album to this called 'Joanne' which had the likes of Father John Misty, Kevin Parker and Josh Homme working on it and now her latest album is full blown pop which she has always done. I've never understood the hype with Swift though, she hasn't got an amazing voice and considering she is touted as a talented lyricist I'm yet to see any such lyrics to justify this.

The modern day Avril Lavigne.
I liked the Joanne album. Listened to it as I am a big fan of Kevin Parker and Josh Homme.

Can't get on board with Taylor Swift though. Also comes accross as a self entitled and arrogant. Up there with my least favorite people in music.

I will see about this album as my wife will have it on on repeat over the next few months to years.

Online Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #361 on: August 11, 2020, 08:38:23 pm »
Hmmm I'm not so sure. Lady Gaga released a similar type of album to this called 'Joanne' which had the likes of Father John Misty, Kevin Parker and Josh Homme working on it and now her latest album is full blown pop which she has always done. I've never understood the hype with Swift though, she hasn't got an amazing voice and considering she is touted as a talented lyricist I'm yet to see any such lyrics to justify this.

The modern day Avril Lavigne.

But Lady GaGa is an out and out pop star. I don’t know the album but it sounds like something far removed from anything else she has ever done. This isn’t the same for TS... she was a country artist, as duvva said, with a progression towards pop music and then she catapulted herself into that genre, but there were still remnants of her country past - both in the studio and her live shows.

I think she’s able to do whatever she wants now. I don’t think she has to pick a genre and stick to it as she is phenomenal across everything she does.

I get you might not like her, but that Avril Lavigne shout is just bizarre. I used to like her when I was 13/14 so would consider myself fairly familiar with her early work and I’m not sure I have ever heard her produce something country or straight forward pop. It was always emo/punky/skatey music. Has that changed in her later years?

Offline wz4jc3

• Legacy Fan
  • 'You'll Never Walk Alone.'
    • Teach Maths
« Reply #362 on: August 11, 2020, 08:57:01 pm »
I think she’s pretty much able to do whatever she wants now. She’s moved on from a restrictive record contract to one she’s happier with and has much more overall control. I think you’ve got her pigeonholed as pop whereas she came from a country music background before moving into more mainstream pop.
She only really came to my attention when Ryan Adams re-recorded her 1989 album and I decided to listen to hers as a comparison. Since then I’ve enjoyed all her music and I think there’s different styles across all her albums.
She’s a very talented and skilled songwriter and while there was a time I would have similarly written her off as hype/just another pop star, she’s a lot more than that.
I love the 1989 album. [emoji106]

Online duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #363 on: August 11, 2020, 09:16:58 pm »
I love the 1989 album. [emoji106]
Who’s version? I liked Ryan Adams interpretation of some of the songs but as an album Taylor’s is better
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #364 on: August 11, 2020, 09:58:30 pm »
But Lady GaGa is an out and out pop star. I don’t know the album but it sounds like something far removed from anything else she has ever done. This isn’t the same for TS... she was a country artist, as duvva said, with a progression towards pop music and then she catapulted herself into that genre, but there were still remnants of her country past - both in the studio and her live shows.

I think she’s able to do whatever she wants now. I don’t think she has to pick a genre and stick to it as she is phenomenal across everything she does.

I get you might not like her, but that Avril Lavigne shout is just bizarre. I used to like her when I was 13/14 so would consider myself fairly familiar with her early work and I’m not sure I have ever heard her produce something country or straight forward pop. It was always emo/punky/skatey music. Has that changed in her later years?

The Avril Lavigne shout was me taking the piss but come to think of it that Hey Hey You You I Wanna Be Your Girlfriend song she brought out years ago would suit Taylor Swift down to the ground. I keep on hearing she is a great songwriter and lyricist but still yet to see or hear any lyrics that wow me. As I said in my original post it will be interesting to see if she goes back to having hip hop artists featured on her next album seeing as it’s the most popular genre at the moment. I have a feeling this folklore album was just a COVID/lockdown change of direction.

Offline wz4jc3

• Legacy Fan
  • 'You'll Never Walk Alone.'
    • Teach Maths
« Reply #365 on: August 11, 2020, 10:00:54 pm »
Who’s version? I liked Ryan Adams interpretation of some of the songs but as an album Taylor’s is better
Taylor's.

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #366 on: August 13, 2020, 05:29:41 pm »
Steve Lamacq is playing a new song by The Cribs at some point in the next hour or so (sooner rather than later, I expect) on BBC 6 Music.  First new music since the release of the Steve Albini-produced 24/7 Rock Star Shit - they've effectively been on short hiatus since finishing up the last tour in 2018.  Looking forward to it - probably my 'favourite' active band; hopefully this will be accompanied by news of an 8th album...

Edit:

Yep, new album - Night Network - released November 13th.

Running Into You:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/m_eAE8sSRho" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/m_eAE8sSRho</a>
« Last Edit: August 14, 2020, 12:32:50 pm by jackh »

Offline Seebab

• hit that post. We winced.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #367 on: August 14, 2020, 12:49:54 am »
Finally started listening to the new Dylan record, Rough and Rowdy Ways, and it doesn't disappoint. Just brilliant.
Some folks are born into a good life
Other folks get it anyway anyhow

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #368 on: August 14, 2020, 09:18:34 pm »
I'd be pleasantly surprised  if Sly and the Family Drone's 'Walk It Dry' album gets knocked off its perch of (my) best album 2020.

https://familydrone.bandcamp.com/album/walk-it-dry

Been listening to side A particularly on an almost daily basis. Side B is surprisingly genteel. Side A is phenomenal.

Online duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #369 on: August 18, 2020, 09:14:13 pm »
Anyone listened to the new Biffy Clyro album yet. Bit underwhelmed so far.

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #370 on: August 18, 2020, 10:35:50 pm »

I'm going to pop into town on Friday, with Bright Eyes album due out - James Dean Bradfield & Biffy Clyro's new one both came out last Friday, so I'm going to get all three and have a good weekend of listening.

I'll always look forward to a new Biffy release, but the excitement has definitely waned for me for the last few albums and to be honest I rather expected this latest record to be 'uncritically' panned.  It actually seems to have received good reviews across the board, so I'm now looking forward to it more than I might have expected a week or two ago.  Consensus seems to be that it's better that the four promos/singles (how the fuck does this work these days?) suggest.

Offline IanZG

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #371 on: August 19, 2020, 08:28:49 am »

Thanks for pointing it out, completely forgot they were about to release an album. Will give it a listen today.

Online duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #372 on: August 19, 2020, 08:40:25 am »
I'm going to pop into town on Friday, with Bright Eyes album due out - James Dean Bradfield & Biffy Clyro's new one both came out last Friday, so I'm going to get all three and have a good weekend of listening.

I'll always look forward to a new Biffy release, but the excitement has definitely waned for me for the last few albums and to be honest I rather expected this latest record to be 'uncritically' panned.  It actually seems to have received good reviews across the board, so I'm now looking forward to it more than I might have expected a week or two ago.  Consensus seems to be that it's better that the four promos/singles (how the fuck does this work these days?) suggest.
Thanks for pointing it out, completely forgot they were about to release an album. Will give it a listen today.
I’ve only listened a couple of times, so need to give it more time I think. There are some good songs but it feels similar to the last album in that it’s patchy more than consistent.

Online duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #373 on: August 19, 2020, 11:37:17 am »
Ignore everything I said above 😂. It’s got me on the third run through, it’s pretty good actually. Mon the Biff

Online duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #374 on: August 20, 2020, 09:42:22 am »
I was so wrong about the Biffy album. Listened to it a few more times yesterday and it might be their best since Only Revolutions

Offline Stand Free

• Anny Roader
  • You'll Never Walk Alone
« Reply #375 on: August 20, 2020, 01:29:14 pm »
I was so wrong about the Biffy album. Listened to it a few more times yesterday and it might be their best since Only Revolutions

Funny how albums can take a few listens to fully appreciate, I've only listened once and wasn't blown away but will keep listening over the next week to get fully into it.

Offline jackh

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #376 on: August 20, 2020, 01:37:10 pm »
Great album. I loved the 3 tracks they released as lead singles but Living in America, A Lucid Dream and No are the stand outs for me.

Yep, I'm really enjoying this second Fontaines D.C. record too, and I've got to agree with the shout for No - it's a fantastic closing song.  Makes me think of The La's actually - the vocals - but maybe that's just me!

Funny how albums can take a few listens to fully appreciate, I've only listened once and wasn't blown away but will keep listening over the next week to get fully into it.

Feel like I've got a bit of a backlog of 2020 records at the moment - things I've not dedicated as much time to as I'd like.  And then tomorrow I'm planning to pick up the new ones by Biffy, JDB, and Bright Eyes as I mentioned above!

I am finding this to be a really strong year though - excited to have new ones by Idles, Doves, and The Cribs yet too.

Online duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #377 on: August 20, 2020, 01:40:56 pm »
Usually find those are the ones with real longevity in them

Offline jackh

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #378 on: August 21, 2020, 09:26:57 pm »
Maya Hawke has released an album. Supposed to be quite good. Steve released one last year aswell which was cool.

Appreciated this shout about Maya Hawke's album.  For anyone else interested:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/OzOPCZCZjY8" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/OzOPCZCZjY8</a>

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/iBs8XgoNe1c" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/iBs8XgoNe1c</a>

Offline jackh

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #379 on: August 25, 2020, 10:14:04 pm »
The collaborative project between Catherine Anne Davies (The Anchoress) & Bernard Butler seems promising.  An album, In Memory of My Feelings, is due on 18th September.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/P4QaUZ5cBEI" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/P4QaUZ5cBEI</a>

Online duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #380 on: September 3, 2020, 01:16:02 am »
Gave the EOB album a couple of listens today. Definite Radiohead feel to a lot of it. Quite like it.

Particularly like the song Olympik

Offline 19th Nervous Title

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #381 on: September 4, 2020, 07:36:23 am »
On first listening the new Bill Callahan is usual high standard. Love the new Kevin Morby track Campfire.
Emily Hobhouse. Britain's finest.

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #382 on: September 4, 2020, 09:42:32 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/bik0jAirXZs" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/bik0jAirXZs</a>

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #383 on: September 6, 2020, 10:36:49 pm »
The drummer of a band called FIDLAR, Max Kuehn, released a solo album called 'Modern World'

He seems to be a pretty talented songwriter going off his previous work. I'm just starting to listen to this one, but I'm liking it.
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #384 on: September 7, 2020, 11:22:12 pm »
James Dean Bradfield's Victor Jara album is very good

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #385 on: September 9, 2020, 10:28:48 pm »
enjoying everything on JR Moores compilation and words on here : https://thequietus.com/articles/28898-ozo-silver-scrolls-ganser-psych-album-review

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #386 on: September 9, 2020, 11:00:12 pm »
I see Richard Dawson has released about 210 tracks during lockdown. Has anyone sifted through it to pick out the belters?

I listened to the first 40 odd albums they produced. Was like a daily thing. Really kept me chippy during dark lockdown. Am about 10 behind now... the love I felt for both Richard and Sally was incalculable. Some albums were 'better' than others but I just loved the connect I got from them. That little alert your phone told you about a new Bulbils release. It genuinely kept me going. Will love the pair of them for ever.

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #387 on: September 9, 2020, 11:01:17 pm »
chippy chipp-er

kinell.. is there an autocorrect on 'chippy'?

edit:  ;D

Offline jackh

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #388 on: September 10, 2020, 02:43:58 pm »
New Springsteen album next month...

Bruce Springsteen quietly drops new music from hasty recording session

Legendary American rocker Bruce Springsteen has dropped a surprise new song ahead of a new album out in October.

The Born To Run hit maker released Letter To You, the title track from his forthcoming album on Thursday evening Australian time after no lead-up promotion. The album was recorded in five days with Springsteen's band playing live in his home studio in New Jersey.

In a statement announcing the release, he described the hasty process as one of the greatest recording experiences in his life.

"I love the emotional nature of Letter To You, and I love the sound of the E Street Band playing completely live in the studio, in a way we’ve never done before, and with no overdubs. We made the album in only five days, and it turned out to be one of the greatest recording experiences I’ve ever had," he said.

The 12-track album includes nine new Springsteen songs and new recordings of three previously unreleased tracks from the '70s including Janey Needs A Shooter, which Springsteen spent years working on before shelving. Another of the previously unreleased tracks is If I Was A Priest, which had previously leaked from demo sessions at CBS Studios and has been available to listen to through unofficial channels since the '70s. The third, Song for Orphans, has formed part of Springsteen's live shows but he has never released it on an album.

Letter To You is Springsteen's 20th studio album and follows Western Stars, which debuted at No.1 in the ARIA charts when it was released in June last year. It was his third No.1 album in Australia and his 11th in the top 10.

The music industry has been buzzing with rumours that new Springsteen music was on the way after his long-time collaborator Ron Aniello posted a cryptic message on Instagram in August. Letter To You was produced by Aniello along with Springsteen.

The surprise was nearly spoiled after Amazon UK and a small record store in West Virginia uploaded details about the release a day early.

Letter To You is the second song on the album and is available now. The album of the same name will be released on October 23.

The full track list is:

1. One Minute You’re Here
2. Letter To You
3. Burnin’ Train
4. Janey Needs A Shooter
5. Last Man Standing
6. The Power Of Prayer
7. House Of A Thousand Guitars
8. Rainmaker
9. If I Was The Priest
10. Ghosts
11. Song For Orphans
12. I’ll See You In My Dreams

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/AQyLEz0qy-g" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/AQyLEz0qy-g</a>

https://www.smh.com.au/culture/music/bruce-springsteen-quietly-drops-new-music-from-hasty-recording-session-20200910-p55uiy.html

Offline jackh

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #389 on: September 10, 2020, 10:57:24 pm »
'Yellow Room' - the latest song by Belfast's New Pagans - really caught my attention on Steve Lamacq's show yesterday.  No harm in sharing, right?

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/onSkro6Cy7I" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/onSkro6Cy7I</a>

They've an EP ('Glacial Erratic') on Bandcamp, in case anyone's into it: https://newpagans.bandcamp.com/.

You might also like Pit Pony, if the above is to your liking: https://pitponyband.bandcamp.com/

Online BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #390 on: September 12, 2020, 03:25:01 am »
The world always feels a tiny bit better with some new Gregory Porter.

New Album - All Rise

Gregory Porter - Concorde - Live
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/qc9Afkb9bmI" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/qc9Afkb9bmI</a>
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline Seebab

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #391 on: September 15, 2020, 06:54:25 pm »
And the HAIM album is going into my top 10 for this year I think. A really great record.

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #392 on: September 18, 2020, 09:06:03 pm »
Osees.

Online duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #393 on: September 18, 2020, 09:49:23 pm »
And the HAIM album is going into my top 10 for this year I think. A really great record.

Really good record that.

Online damomad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #394 on: September 22, 2020, 08:40:25 am »

I agree, it was a curveball for me, didn't expect it to be their best yet.

I'm looking forward to the IDLES release on Friday. Loved the new Flaming Lips album, pretty mellow, brilliant listen the whole way through.
You're still the one pool where I'd happily drown

Offline jackh

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #395 on: September 22, 2020, 01:13:29 pm »
I'm looking forward to the IDLES release on Friday. Loved the new Flaming Lips album, pretty mellow, brilliant listen the whole way through.

Same here.  Got a cracking review on Louder than War: https://louderthanwar.com/idles-ultra-mono-album-review.  Despite always quite enjoying everything I've heard from The Flaming Lips, I've never really paid them proper attention - might have a listen to the promos/singles for this latest one (thanks for the prompt!).

Looking forward to IDLES and celebrating The Flaming Lips' mellowness is quite the juxtaposition ;D

Steve Lamacq is playing a new song by The Cribs at some point in the next hour or so (sooner rather than later, I expect) on BBC 6 Music.  First new music since the release of the Steve Albini-produced 24/7 Rock Star Shit - they've effectively been on short hiatus since finishing up the last tour in 2018.  Looking forward to it - probably my 'favourite' active band; hopefully this will be accompanied by news of an 8th album...

Edit:

Yep, new album - Night Network - released November 13th.

Spoiler

Running Into You:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/m_eAE8sSRho" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/m_eAE8sSRho</a>
[close]

Follow-up, I Don't Know Who I Am:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/P0NrSjfAw6Q" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/P0NrSjfAw6Q</a>

Sounding like yet another strong one, this album.  Often get lumped in with a lot of the stuff from the second half of the 00s, which seems a bit unfair.  They've lasted since before then and have matured & developed their sound, whilst remaining true to themselves - good stuff.

Online damomad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #396 on: September 22, 2020, 09:45:52 pm »

On the Lips, it was their 2002 album Yoshimi that got me into them. The Soft Bulletin is seen as their masterpiece and it probably is their best record. But my favourite album changes all the time, there's at least 5 of them.

Great shout on the Cribs, I'll be honest I thought they had broken up, was a big fan of them around Men's Needs/Ignore the Ignorant. Will have to check the new stuff out.
You're still the one pool where I'd happily drown

Offline Mr Benn please?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • 123456789 Benn
« Reply #397 on: September 22, 2020, 10:06:04 pm »
 I'm also enjoying the new Flaming Lips album. Their best for a while I would say.

Have also been digging How Ill Thy World Is Ordered by Daniel Romano. Fans of Big Star, the Posies and McCartney's early solo albums will like this.

https://open.spotify.com/album/0RyXPGowkGtC1ILqILIDsh?si=3ieWM5RyRY689Zdfi5bRXg

Offline jackh

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #398 on: September 22, 2020, 11:50:48 pm »
On the Lips, it was their 2002 album Yoshimi that got me into them. The Soft Bulletin is seen as their masterpiece and it probably is their best record. But my favourite album changes all the time, there's at least 5 of them.

Great shout on the Cribs, I'll be honest I thought they had broken up, was a big fan of them around Men's Needs/Ignore the Ignorant. Will have to check the new stuff out.

I should pick up those two albums really (I've long suspected this) - will plan to do so soon!

Bit of background on The Cribs' upcoming on: https://diymag.com/2020/09/18/the-renewed-fellas-the-cribs-september-2020-night-network-interview

Offline Seebab

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #399 on: September 25, 2020, 05:27:12 am »
How great is this song by The National's Matt Berninger?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmGhtIOBlhI&ab_channel=MattBerningerVEVO

I am creepily addicted to watching him dance  ;D