Author Topic: The Witcher  (Read 20029 times)

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
Re: The Witcher
« Reply #200 on: October 29, 2022, 09:23:20 pm »
It’ll be cancelled before season 4. Cavill is the only thing the show’s got going for it.

Offline leinad

• Kopite
« Reply #201 on: October 29, 2022, 09:26:11 pm »
I think with Cavill being such a huge fan of the books/games he can see the direction the show is going in and decided to leave. He was the best thing about it.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #202 on: October 29, 2022, 09:31:29 pm »
I think with Cavill being such a huge fan of the books/games he can see the direction the show is going in and decided to leave. He was the best thing about it.

I don't agree,I think it has been brilliant & he would only leave if a role came along that he couldn't turn down.

My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline leinad

• Kopite
« Reply #203 on: October 29, 2022, 09:37:28 pm »

I don't agree,I think it has been brilliant & he would only leave if a role came along that he couldn't turn down.

Idk mate, I thought season 2 was terrible and I know they had creative differences last season, he had to re-write the Roach death scene himself because he wouldn't film what they originally wanted.

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #204 on: October 30, 2022, 01:37:48 am »
It’ll be cancelled before season 4. Cavill is the only thing the show’s got going for it.

Yep and he had a huge respect for the source material.

There's been a lot going on behind the scenes of the show including certain writers mocking the books and games.
:D

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #205 on: October 30, 2022, 02:08:23 am »
Well that sucks :(

Offline Machae

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #206 on: October 30, 2022, 02:15:56 am »
I just don't rate Liam Hemsworth as an actor. He just looks like a goofy stunt double to Thor

Offline Ultimate Bromance

• The Crab
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #207 on: October 30, 2022, 05:24:03 am »
Bit arrogant to think they'll get a S4 if Cavill's out, especially after what's come out about the writers room.
Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #208 on: October 30, 2022, 08:56:35 am »
Make it about Anya Chalotra.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #209 on: October 30, 2022, 09:38:30 am »
The Witcher fans are going to boycott the series according to the independent. It's a crazy reaction, as others have said let's see if it even reaches a fourth series first.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #210 on: October 30, 2022, 09:52:00 am »
Why is Cavill leaving? Is he the next James Bond or something?

He said he's returning to Superman, would that be getting in the way?

As for Liam Hemsworth... Liam fucking Hemsworth, really?

Offline Stockholm Syndrome

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #211 on: October 30, 2022, 10:26:12 am »
If you are gonna change the main character, the least they could have done is bring in the old fan meme of Mads Mikkelsen as Geralt. Would have still been fucking weird but hey ho some fans may have lapped it up.

All honesty haven't watched the show - big fan of the books and the games, but some of the changes I have heard were made, some of the reaction I saw from writers/show runners about the books and game/their fans just made this all not sit right with me. I did however hear throughout that Cavill was excellent in his role.

Changing the main character's actor is awful at the best of times, when the actor is so perfect and the main character is so key to the story, I would honestly just not proceed at all.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #212 on: October 30, 2022, 10:50:22 am »
He said he's returning to Superman, would that be getting in the way?

As for Liam Hemsworth... Liam fucking Hemsworth, really?

Meh Superman. I'd be sticking with the Witcher, rather than that.  :o

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #213 on: October 30, 2022, 11:57:56 am »
Meh Superman. I'd be sticking with the Witcher, rather than that.  :o

I imagine the pay is 10 times the amount :D and maybe they are talking/thinking about a Superman series TV/Film, although the films were middle of the road he was a good Superman

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #214 on: October 30, 2022, 12:08:15 pm »
I imagine the pay is 10 times the amount :D and maybe they are talking/thinking about a Superman series TV/Film, although the films were middle of the road he was a good Superman

Yeah, I get that. It's not my cup of tea though.  ;D

Offline Bread

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #215 on: October 30, 2022, 09:18:41 pm »
There's been reports recently that some of the writers and showrunners actively dislike the source material. It wouldn't surprise me if it came out at some point that Cavill has had frequent clashes with the writing team which has led to Cavill deciding to give up and walk away.

The return of Superman makes the timing of Cavill walking away from a role he coveted more than any other much less eyebrow-raising.

Offline Fortneef

• Palace Fan. Punka wallah?
  • Kopite
« Reply #216 on: October 31, 2022, 08:28:56 am »
Superman FFS. The dullest superhero ever invented*

*tbf he did smash the KKK - that would make a good film

Offline Fortneef

• Palace Fan. Punka wallah?
  • Kopite
« Reply #217 on: October 31, 2022, 08:42:44 am »
Yeah, the series is better when it's focused on the low fantasy monster hunting as opposed to the high fantasy politics stuff.

Id say: swords and sorcery is better than high fantasy full stop and audiences and makers are damn fools for not agreeing with me.

Its as if historical dramas were only possible if they were about royalty and prime ministers etc.

Offline Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #218 on: October 31, 2022, 11:34:20 am »
Yikes. Would rather they just went with an unknown, rather than Liam Hemsworth. I really rather liked Cavill as Geralt.
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #219 on: October 31, 2022, 04:28:10 pm »
Big considering Cavill pretty much championed it himself because he's such a fan.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #220 on: November 1, 2022, 11:01:06 am »
His main ambition has always been in movies, it was only a matter of time before he went back to those. I don't tend to watch many of his films, just not into the "superhero" type of thing. 

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #221 on: November 1, 2022, 11:45:09 am »
Idk mate, I thought season 2 was terrible and I know they had creative differences last season, he had to re-write the Roach death scene himself because he wouldn't film what they originally wanted.

You're probably right but I can't help feel that he would've walked for the cape even if everything was perfect.I'm hoping Hemsworth can pull it off because I'm desperate for them to make the 7 seasons that they have planned.

Offline leinad

• Kopite
« Reply #222 on: November 2, 2022, 11:08:09 pm »

You're probably right but I can't help feel that he would've walked for the cape even if everything was perfect.I'm hoping Hemsworth can pull it off because I'm desperate for them to make the 7 seasons that they have planned.

I heard they are filming S4 & S5 back to back so you'll have 5 at least!

Offline Armand9

• Legacy Fan
    • http://armand9.deviantart.com/
« Reply #223 on: November 3, 2022, 03:34:58 pm »
are we going to get some nefarious magic take place and out walks helmsworth like a new doctor who?

none of this sounds promising, such a pity, i love the witcher world and characters and while i have reservations about how good the seasons have been (ie not as good as i hoped), i still enjoyed seeing that world

i really hope they can sort this, again, it will come down to having good writers in touch with the source material, i know it sounds like the same old record spinning but so many much loved IPs have been under cooked, to put it nicely, in recent years cos of poor writing
Losing your only chance of silverware this season to your city rival. At home. With the most expensive squad ever assembled.

Have that, you arrogant wanker. CarraG238

Offline blert596

• or is it Simon Peg, Advert: Buy incontinence bed pads from www.incontinencechoice.co.uk Wash & disposable. Trade & Public.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #224 on: November 3, 2022, 11:30:44 pm »
are we going to get some nefarious magic take place and out walks helmsworth like a new doctor who?

i really hope they can sort this, again, it will come down to having good writers in touch with the source material,

Well as soon as he decided he wanted to put the cape back on (which I always believed he would) then they either end the series somehow with him as the lead, or get a new face in and carry on. Nothing they can do about that.

I know hes a big fan, but Im not sure Cavill leaving can be put down purely to the writing. That red cape would be a fucker to say no to again for anyone.

Are the Bond links with Cavill still realistic?
All the badge kissing in the world don't make up for the fact that they are, frankly, not Liverpool Football Club. It's not their fault. Its just how it is.

Offline Armand9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #225 on: November 4, 2022, 12:43:05 am »
just to be clear, i wasn't linking the writing to cavill leaving (maybe there is but fuck if i know), it was more a general point of where tv and great IPs have been for a while, including the witcher to a lesser degree than some that can be mentioned

Losing your only chance of silverware this season to your city rival. At home. With the most expensive squad ever assembled.

Offline Armand9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #226 on: December 26, 2022, 06:53:09 pm »
Blood Origins

Essential viewing.

Bafta award incoming for every possible diversity box ticked and when they handed over the tally sheet to HR i assume HR decided they'd write the script as well

how in the name of a flying fuck does this get made?

and lenny henry again  :lmao what's going on? fuck me i dont think i've seen lenny do anything decent since tiswas (oh those were the days, loved tiswas, especially that time chris tarrant's pecker was showing through the slit in his longjohns on a kid's show - tv gold that). lenny seems the go to man if you want quality fantasy these days

Michelle Yeoh is the lead in my second best film of the year with Everything Everywhere All at Once. How does she end up in this? That's like pulling Gal Gadot then fucking the next hobo you happen to bump in to.

This is a quintessential example of making sure the most important thing in film/tv making is to tick all the 'right' boxes and every other consideration is secondary.

Cos it also ticks every box that makes a show utter garbage.

You will laugh tho, i actually laughed out loud (very rare that happens) on a number of occasions in a bemused mix of 'i can't believe professionals made this' with 'is this really happening?'

« Last Edit: December 26, 2022, 06:57:27 pm by Armand9 »

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #227 on: December 26, 2022, 07:29:06 pm »
Have to agree,it was shite,been looking forward to it and was really disappointed.

But I will watch it again  ;D

Offline voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #228 on: December 26, 2022, 07:33:55 pm »
Blood Origins

Essential viewing.

Bafta award incoming for every possible diversity box ticked and when they handed over the tally sheet to HR i assume HR decided they'd write the script as well

how in the name of a flying fuck does this get made?

and lenny henry again  :lmao what's going on? fuck me i dont think i've seen lenny do anything decent since tiswas (oh those were the days, loved tiswas, especially that time chris tarrant's pecker was showing through the slit in his longjohns on a kid's show - tv gold that). lenny seems the go to man if you want quality fantasy these days

Michelle Yeoh is the lead in my second best film of the year with Everything Everywhere All at Once. How does she end up in this? That's like pulling Gal Gadot then fucking the next hobo you happen to bump in to.

This is a quintessential example of making sure the most important thing in film/tv making is to tick all the 'right' boxes and every other consideration is secondary.

Cos it also ticks every box that makes a show utter garbage.

You will laugh tho, i actually laughed out loud (very rare that happens) on a number of occasions in a bemused mix of 'i can't believe professionals made this' with 'is this really happening?'

that's a lot of words without saying what it was actually like.

other than shite by the sounds of it.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #229 on: December 26, 2022, 07:39:51 pm »

In some places it was like a fan film.

Offline Armand9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #230 on: December 26, 2022, 08:30:20 pm »

i told you exactly what it's like, unless you haven't been watching shows in the genres of fantasy/sci fi/supernatural over the last few years

i was remiss however in not mentioning the singing - that's not a given, oh god the fucking singing

Offline voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #231 on: December 26, 2022, 08:35:38 pm »
i told you exactly what it's like, unless you haven't been watching shows in the genres of fantasy/sci fi/supernatural over the last few years

i was remiss however in not mentioning the singing - that's not a given, oh god the fucking singing

not really. you went off on some right wing-adjacent nonsense about diversity and then lenny henry. fair enough about lenny.

nothing about the content of the show itself.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #232 on: December 28, 2022, 08:07:55 am »
not really. you went off on some right wing-adjacent nonsense about diversity and then lenny henry. fair enough about lenny.

nothing about the content of the show itself.

Sadly he’s not the only one either.

Offline Phineus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #233 on: December 28, 2022, 09:01:13 am »
Think I’ll give Blood Origins a pass then, seems to be getting universally panned.

Looking forward to 3rd season but then I think I’ll pass for the next Geralt.

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #234 on: December 28, 2022, 09:55:33 am »
I've seen the first two episodes and it's all over the place really. It's going for the feel of epic quest from a band of intrepid adventurers, but it feels more like one of those BBC Saturday evening jobs - Merlin etc. I don't mean it feels like it's for kids/families, more that the writing on display just isn't matching the ambition. I think maybe a 4 episode series is making it feel rushed, with stuff just happening rather than an actual story. I'm not engaged by any of the 'heroes' and barely remember their names - the stuff at court is more interesting to me, although even that has the issue that:

Spoiler
Agents from the 3 warring factions conspired against their kings & clans (it's never really explained what the clans are, but they are separate to mainstream Elven society and the military hates them) who want to end a thousand years of war with a peace treaty. Those agents (specifically called out as war-hungry generals and mages) work with Evil Lenny Henry to bring in a monster that kills all the clans and the monarchs so that... what? The wars would continue with the peace movement dead? Except that immediately we see that all 3 nations are now a single Empire under the Xin'trean leadership... so, at peace then?

It felt like there should have been 10 minutes where Evil Lenny Henry betrays the co-conspirators so that rather than peace, they win the war and conquer their opponents. But even that specifically didn't happen because they talked about absorbing the armies of the other 2 nations...

So I don't really get what happened there
[close]

I'm not sure if this show fits in with the backstory of the books and games or if they're doing a completely new thing, because some of what we've seen doesn't seem to fit with what I gathered from playing through the Witcher 3, even though some of the character names are the same.

We'll spend the 2 hours to finish it up, but so far I doubt it's anything I'll ever go back to.
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #235 on: December 31, 2022, 01:43:33 am »
This was never actually a good show. Henry Cavill literally carried this show on his shoulders with his brilliant performance. I guess him being a massive fan of The Witcher, gave some extra love and understanding.

Without him this show feels like cheeseburger without cheese.
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline blert596

• or is it Simon Peg, Advert: Buy incontinence bed pads from www.incontinencechoice.co.uk Wash & disposable. Trade & Public.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #236 on: January 11, 2023, 04:46:17 pm »

Just to be a little more to the point...

Blood Origins is absolutely, completely, totally, utterly FUCKING SHITE!!!!!

Hows that ;D
All the badge kissing in the world don't make up for the fact that they are, frankly, not Liverpool Football Club. It's not their fault. Its just how it is.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #237 on: January 11, 2023, 04:49:40 pm »
I've seen the first two episodes and it's all over the place really. It's going for the feel of epic quest from a band of intrepid adventurers, but it feels more like one of those BBC Saturday evening jobs - Merlin etc. I don't mean it feels like it's for kids/families, more that the writing on display just isn't matching the ambition. I think maybe a 4 episode series is making it feel rushed, with stuff just happening rather than an actual story. I'm not engaged by any of the 'heroes' and barely remember their names - the stuff at court is more interesting to me, although even that has the issue that:

Spoiler
Agents from the 3 warring factions conspired against their kings & clans (it's never really explained what the clans are, but they are separate to mainstream Elven society and the military hates them) who want to end a thousand years of war with a peace treaty. Those agents (specifically called out as war-hungry generals and mages) work with Evil Lenny Henry to bring in a monster that kills all the clans and the monarchs so that... what? The wars would continue with the peace movement dead? Except that immediately we see that all 3 nations are now a single Empire under the Xin'trean leadership... so, at peace then?

It felt like there should have been 10 minutes where Evil Lenny Henry betrays the co-conspirators so that rather than peace, they win the war and conquer their opponents. But even that specifically didn't happen because they talked about absorbing the armies of the other 2 nations...

So I don't really get what happened there
[close]

I'm not sure if this show fits in with the backstory of the books and games or if they're doing a completely new thing, because some of what we've seen doesn't seem to fit with what I gathered from playing through the Witcher 3, even though some of the character names are the same.

We'll spend the 2 hours to finish it up, but so far I doubt it's anything I'll ever go back to.

Er, Merlin was bloody good!  ;D

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #238 on: January 11, 2023, 04:57:46 pm »
Er, Merlin was bloody good!  ;D

It was okay (far superior to Atlantis that replaced it), but it's not the same type of show as the Witcher, despite both being vaguely of the 'fantasy' genre. There are levels of budget, casting, costuming etc. I've seen Blood Origin referred to as like a fan film, and that's probably a better way of describing it than what I said.

I don't think I posted after watching the rest of it but it didn't improve much. I enjoyed seeing a clearly not-arsed Dylan Moran rock up though.
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #239 on: January 11, 2023, 07:44:08 pm »
It was okay (far superior to Atlantis that replaced it), but it's not the same type of show as the Witcher, despite both being vaguely of the 'fantasy' genre. There are levels of budget, casting, costuming etc. I've seen Blood Origin referred to as like a fan film, and that's probably a better way of describing it than what I said.

I don't think I posted after watching the rest of it but it didn't improve much. I enjoyed seeing a clearly not-arsed Dylan Moran rock up though.

I'm not saying it was one of the greatest fantasy shows, but it was good for what it was when you consider it would have had half the budget the Witcher had. It was good family entertainment for Saturday night. The show still has a huge following as well. I have lost touch with the Witcher to be honest.