Author Topic: Anfield Road Extension  (Read 889344 times)

Offline rebel23

• Rebel without a cause
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Echo Update on Anfield Road Extension
« Reply #520 on: February 12, 2020, 02:56:00 pm »
I think FSG will be vindicated in their approach to expanding Anfield rather than build a £1 billion stadium like Spurs did. That debt would severely limit us in the transfer market and put at risk future success.  61k is pretty good (third highest in the league).  Don't forget they do initiatives now so locals with an L post code can get tickets at reduced prices.

Offline charles

• Main Stander
« Reply #521 on: February 12, 2020, 02:58:03 pm »
:boxhead

Kenny is hemmed in behind by houses quite close to the stadium. Unlike behind the Main before it was done the housing here is in good condition and lived in. Corners are an issue due to roof support the Kenny (and Kop) have, as well as the various stands being different profiles so linking them up would cause issues.

Kop is about as steep as you can get I believe. Going back would require work with the roof so becomes expensive for little gain. Road & buildings behind the Kop makes it hard to totally rebuild bigger.

All problems could be overcome of course, but it really comes down to cost and feasibility.

Thanks Craig! So in short, it ain't practical.

Offline Kopout

• Should really just Logout......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #522 on: February 12, 2020, 02:58:28 pm »
HQ pics

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
  • From the depths of Sevvy Park lake
« Reply #523 on: February 12, 2020, 03:00:57 pm »
I think FSG will be vindicated in their approach to expanding Anfield rather than build a £1 billion stadium like Spurs did. That debt would severely limit us in the transfer market and put at risk future success.  61k is pretty good (third highest in the league).  Don't forget they do initiatives now so locals with an L post code can get tickets at reduced prices.

Still only 500 a game though. And a significant portion of those get sold on for ten times the odds to those without an L-Postcode. The profit mark up is an absolute dream for the touts. Still better then nothing, but I personally would love to see that initiative expanded (and require an ID check or something).

Offline rebel23

• Rebel without a cause
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #524 on: February 12, 2020, 03:01:38 pm »
I'm surprised its costing £60m, that seems ridiculously low. I was under the impression it would cost £100m or more.

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #525 on: February 12, 2020, 03:01:58 pm »

I thought they already had been vindicated with the Main Stand? The approach was sound, FSG funded the main stand, and now we're in a position where the Annie Rd end could be funded without debt.

They're vindicated already, and we got to keep Anfield and it is only going to get better :)

Offline rebel23

• Rebel without a cause
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #526 on: February 12, 2020, 03:03:17 pm »
Still only 500 a game though. And a significant portion of those get sold on for ten times the odds to those without an L-Postcode. The profit mark up is an absolute dream for the touts. Still better then nothing, but I personally would love to see that initiative expanded (and require an ID check or something).

When I was younger (in the 90's) I used to write to the club 28 days before a match with a  cheque and always got a ticket.  Though everything is online now so I dont know if this still works.

Offline Kopout

• Should really just Logout......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #527 on: February 12, 2020, 03:03:33 pm »

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #528 on: February 12, 2020, 03:03:35 pm »
I'm surprised its costing £60m, that seems ridiculously low. I was under the impression it would cost £100m or more.

New main was only about £120m I believe, so £60m doesn't seem too wrong.

Offline rebel23

• Rebel without a cause
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #529 on: February 12, 2020, 03:11:16 pm »
New main was only about £120m I believe, so £60m doesn't seem too wrong.

So we basically have a 61k capacity stadium - third highest in the league - for £180m which is a fraction the cost of a new build stadium like what Spurs did and without all the debt and interest that would need to be paid on it.

FSG really know what they're doing.  I'm very impressed

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #530 on: February 12, 2020, 03:20:00 pm »
When I was younger (in the 90's) I used to write to the club 28 days before a match with a  cheque and always got a ticket.  Though everything is online now so I dont know if this still works.

It's just a mad internet scramble now. We actually did really well to consistently get the L-Postcode tickets for the first couple of years after the Main Stand was redeveloped. Then we fully established ourselves in the title race in December 2018 and it became near on impossible to get them for league games. It's usually a bit better for midweek games though. I assume the touts either have great internet or some other way of jumping the queue.

Not everyone would like the idea, and I doubt the club would go for it any time soon, but I'd happily see the £9 L-Postcode ticket allocation upped to 5,000. I think 5,000 discounted tickets reserved for locals in a 61,000 stadium isn't asking for the world. You can dream!

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #531 on: February 12, 2020, 03:20:47 pm »
Just had a mooch on Skyscraper City to see what the Skyscrapercityladz think of the new developments.
There's someone on there, 'Demolition Dan' who is NOT happy with practically anything happening with anything and mentions RAWK with utter disdain at any given opportunity. Slagging us RIGHT off. He's got to be Whiteboots. Or Al 666.

He's never happy with anything.

Honestly, every time I drop in there he's moaning about something.

Anyway, the new Anny looks good to me.   8)
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline rebel23

• Rebel without a cause
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #532 on: February 12, 2020, 03:22:18 pm »
I read in the Echo that the club wanted to do unlimited number of concerts/live events etc. where they're now limited to 10 in the summer (I think). #

Any idea what the council or residents would think about more concerts etc? or are they not arsed?

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #533 on: February 12, 2020, 03:24:33 pm »

That looks great. Can anyone technical superimpose the current Anny and the old main stand?
The way the ground has evolved is fantastic, to think that the old ground once consisted of the Lower Main, The lower anny and the Lower Kemlyn, plus the Kop of course. Made up we're still at Anfield.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #534 on: February 12, 2020, 03:26:43 pm »
Is there anything you won't put a negative spin on?

Incredible isn't it,fucking stature  :lmao :lmao
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Jonny-B

• Kopite
« Reply #535 on: February 12, 2020, 03:26:53 pm »
It's just a mad internet scramble now. We actually did really well to consistently get the L-Postcode tickets for the first couple of years after the Main Stand was redeveloped. Then we fully established ourselves in the title race in December 2018 and it became near on impossible to get them for league games. It's usually a bit better for midweek games though. I assume the touts either have great internet or some other way of jumping the queue.

They have bots. It's big business same as scalping concert tickets.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #536 on: February 12, 2020, 03:28:10 pm »
I read in the Echo that the club wanted to do unlimited number of concerts/live events etc. where they're now limited to 10 in the summer (I think). #

Any idea what the council or residents would think about more concerts etc? or are they not arsed?

It's 4 isn't it? Unless it's been increased very recently.

Offline rebel23

• Rebel without a cause
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #537 on: February 12, 2020, 03:28:11 pm »
They have bots. It's big business same as scalping concert tickets.

I thought they were forcing people to pick up the tickets at the window to stop the touts.

Offline Jonny-B

• Kopite
« Reply #538 on: February 12, 2020, 03:28:53 pm »
He's never happy with anything.

Honestly, every time I drop in there he's moaning about something.

Anyway, the new Anny looks good to me.   8)

Honestly think he's on some sort of long con performance art.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #539 on: February 12, 2020, 03:29:20 pm »
I thought they were forcing people to pick up the tickets at the window to stop the touts.

Local sales have to pick up tickets and provide proof of ID & address. Problem is they (some) then go and pass the tickets onto the people they've already sold them to for a massive mark up.

Name needs to be on the ticket then checked against ID upon entry.

Offline Jonny-B

• Kopite
« Reply #540 on: February 12, 2020, 03:30:00 pm »

That's pretty easy to get around when you can sell them on at 10x the price. You can hire people to do it. Some of these tout groups are worth millions.

Offline rebel23

• Rebel without a cause
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #541 on: February 12, 2020, 03:30:29 pm »
It's 4 isn't it? Unless it's been increased very recently.

its 6 so we're both wrong:

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/announcements/317013-lfc-granted-temporary-planning-permission-for-anfield-concerts

I think as part of this development they're asking to do more. That's what I read anyway...

Offline rebel23

• Rebel without a cause
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #542 on: February 12, 2020, 03:32:38 pm »
That's pretty easy to get around when you can sell them on at 10x the price. You can hire people to do it. Some of these tout groups are worth millions.

Even if they ask for ID like a passport and link it to fan cards? And only 1 ticket per person?

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #543 on: February 12, 2020, 03:45:28 pm »
The fact of the matter is that, once built, we would have increased our capacity to 61,000 for a combined £175m. Spurs increased theirs from 39,000 to 62,000. For £1bn.

So Spurs have 1,000 extra seats for a premium of £725m more than us.

That money could have gone on players. They signed hardly any players due to finance limits. We bought Fabinho, Allison and Van Dijk (amongst others) and won the Champions league and are going to win the league.

That's the difference.

To be honest, some years ago I was of the opinion that a new build would have been a good idea. The standing Spion Kop was no more and, to me, that was the beating heart of our support. Starting afresh sort of appealed to me. However, since viewing this site and hearing different opinions it's become abundantly clear that the club made the right decision in expanding.

For one, from what I see, clubs who have moved to these ultra expensive vanity domes seem to have lost their atmosphere and identity. Secondly, your post highlights the trade-off involved when it comes to having to pay for the stadium once built. Basically, what's the point in skinting yourself to have a mansion on Millionaire's Row if you can't afford food to eat or furniture to sit on due to the crippling repayment costs for decades to come? Surely quality of life is more important than a mega expensive ego trip?

Liverpool have got it right. Stadium expansion at sensible cost, which allows the club to invest in players and management that enhance the quality of the club and see it achieving what it actually exists to achieve; winning trophies by playing good football. It's a win/win, in more ways than one.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #544 on: February 12, 2020, 03:46:10 pm »
Even if they ask for ID like a passport and link it to fan cards? And only 1 ticket per person?

You can pick up to four tickets at once, so long as the person who bought the tickets can provide ID and proof of address. So effectively if you have four people registered with L-Postcodes, you only need one person to pick up the tickets in their names, and you can sell all of them on for £100 each (or whatever they get passed on for - wouldn't surprise me if they were going for 30x the odds for some games). Easy £360 profit!
« Last Edit: February 12, 2020, 03:55:46 pm by Indomitable_Carp »

Offline rebel23

• Rebel without a cause
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #545 on: February 12, 2020, 03:46:21 pm »
Local sales have to pick up tickets and provide proof of ID & address. Problem is they (some) then go and pass the tickets onto the people they've already sold them to for a massive mark up.

Name needs to be on the ticket then checked against ID upon entry.

Technology will solve this.  Finger print scan or facial recognition :)

Offline rebel23

• Rebel without a cause
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #546 on: February 12, 2020, 03:58:37 pm »
Expanding around the current site is the correct call by FSG; Anfield is rightly revered as one of the most famous grounds on the planet and any future move away from the storied old stadium would have been a controversial one to say the very least.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fsg-putting-money-mouth-liverpool-17736803

£110m in building projects when you include the new training facility.  That's the price of one decent player these days so its well worth the investment.

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #547 on: February 12, 2020, 03:59:36 pm »
HQ pics

I'm probably just being a bit picky here, but I wish they'd do something with the Lower Anny/Lower Kenneth corner. It still looks really awkward there, and probably is a bit awkward to view the game from too.

Offline rebel23

• Rebel without a cause
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #548 on: February 12, 2020, 04:00:24 pm »
You can pick up to four tickets at once, so long as the person who bought the tickets can provide ID and proof of address. So effectively if you have four people registered with L-Postcodes, you only need one person to pick up the tickets in their names, and you can sell all of them on for £100 each (or whatever they get passed on for - wouldn't surprise me if they were going for 30x the odds for some games). Easy £360 profit!

Touts do my head in.  Bastards denying locals the chance to see the team.

I was reading about facial recognition:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/feb/11/met-police-deploy-live-facial-recognition-technology

If the police can do it..

Offline wah00ey

• Gappy Gumbo, especially at the back.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Stay away from Twitter, it's no good for anyone.
« Reply #549 on: February 12, 2020, 04:07:12 pm »
I've given up trying to get tickets on the internet.  It's an utterly futile exercise.

As a result, my membership is a pointless exercise and waste of money too.  If it enabled me to get a pair of tickets 3 or 4 times a year then fine.  But the reality is all it gives me is the ability to sit in a queue on the internet for hours and end up disappointed.  Money well spent :-(
« Last Edit: February 12, 2020, 04:08:44 pm by wah00ey »
Look up "Odious" in the dictionary and Martin Samuel is the given definition.  Call me Klopphooey please.

Offline rebel23

• Rebel without a cause
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #550 on: February 12, 2020, 04:12:11 pm »
I've given up trying to get tickets on the internet.  It's an utterly futile exercise.

Have you tried writing to them? (snail mail). It might still work.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #551 on: February 12, 2020, 04:14:58 pm »
The fact of the matter is that, once built, we would have increased our capacity to 61,000 for a combined £175m. Spurs increased theirs from 39,000 to 62,000. For £1bn.

So Spurs have 1,000 extra seats for a premium of £725m more than us.

That money could have gone on players. They signed hardly any players due to finance limits. We bought Fabinho, Allison and Van Dijk (amongst others) and won the Champions league and are going to win the league.

That's the difference.

True but Spurs have probably trebled their matchgoing revenues so it'll pay for itself, just over a longer period of time and it does generate more revenues than Anfield will. Spurs were never able to compete anyway with a 36k stadium.

We bought Alisson and Van Dijk with the Coutinho money. Our advantage over Spurs will always be our name.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline rebel23

• Rebel without a cause
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #552 on: February 12, 2020, 04:20:34 pm »
True but Spurs have probably trebled their matchgoing revenues so it'll pay for itself, just over a longer period of time and it does generate more revenues than Anfield will. Spurs were never able to compete anyway with a 36k stadium.

We bought Alisson and Van Dijk with the Coutinho money. Our advantage over Spurs will always be our name.

They're also charging £5 for a pint and £10 for fish and chips.  They're in London so can get away with it. However nothing is free; they have to pay the interest on the debt etc and this will hamper them in the transfer market.  I dont care what they say publicly about being able to compete. Levy will have to run a tight ship for years while we can invest in players should we need to.

Offline FTH

• Main Stander
« Reply #553 on: February 12, 2020, 04:28:55 pm »
Too many hospitality seats. That's more guaranteed cup final tickets gone.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #554 on: February 12, 2020, 04:29:56 pm »
They're also charging £5 for a pint and £10 for fish and chips.  They're in London so can get away with it. However nothing is free; they have to pay the interest on the debt etc and this will hamper them in the transfer market.  I dont care what they say publicly about being able to compete. Levy will have to run a tight ship for years while we can invest in players should we need to.

As has been said, that's where the owners have done well.  We've not lost revenue by having an empty stand during construction and we've not been hamstrung by paying off huge debt for a new stadium and we've also kept our spiritual home.

Spurs's stadium is still a huge legacy for the club and will allow them to have a more competitive wage bill. They had a lower wage bill than Everton in their last year at White Hart Lane and were way behind the top 5 in England. They weren't competing financially anyway, Poch had them punching well above their weight.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2020, 04:31:36 pm by Fromola »
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #555 on: February 12, 2020, 04:32:25 pm »
I'm loving it,4 stand alone stands like a proper football ground should have.

Perfect for a Club of our stature,we don't have to chase gate receipts so we get to stay at the greatest ground in the world.Clubs of a smaller stature like Spurs & Arsenal don't have that luxury so end up in soulless bowls and up to their nuts in debt.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline kaesarsosei

• Brutally bad.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #556 on: February 12, 2020, 04:32:36 pm »
I don't think there is any doubt whatsoever that expanding Anfield was the 100% correct decision, and that's even based on (IMO) the capacity being capped at 61k for the long-term. The only hope for any further capacity increases is going to be safe-standing on the Kop, which in theory might bring it to 65k someday. I see no chance at all of the Kenny or Kop ever being expanded or rebuilt. Rebuilding the Kenny would cost at least as much as the Main but for how many extra seats? Barely 5k. Likewise for the Kop. And to say nothing of the residential or infrastructure issues behind both.

But all that we have got, for £180m, is fantastic. That's less than a Neymar. And we get to stay at Anfield, which while maybe not as fancy a stadium as Spurs', will still IMO have the best atmosphere on the really big occasions due to how tight it is plus something that Spurs and City will either never have or take decades to get - history.

Even if we could have built a new stadium like Spurs, while it would probably have been 25% cheaper in the NW, at the same time it won't generate the same hike in match-day revenue due to the London factor. So expanding was the right call in that regard too.

Offline rebel23

• Rebel without a cause
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #557 on: February 12, 2020, 04:32:48 pm »
I don't go the match anymore, but I still go to the ground every game. I see the same shady, bastards every match, little gangs of them working in tandem. They think they are cool Del Boy types, they do their business in front of cops and stewards and nobody gives a fuck. I love winding the fuckers up by wasting their time pretending I'm desperate for a ticket, see their greedy little eyes light up then tell them to do one!

I would never dream of paying their prices or doing business with them  :no

Shame RAWK closed the ticket exchange.

Offline rebel23

• Rebel without a cause
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #558 on: February 12, 2020, 04:34:29 pm »

Spurs's stadium is still a huge legacy for the club and will allow them to have a more competitive wage bill. They had a lower wage bill than Everton in their last year at White Hart Lane and were way behind the top 5 in England. They weren't competing financially anyway, Poch had them punching well above their weight.

If they dont make the CL we're around 150 million pounds ahead of them on revenue. Plus we have much more commercial revenue than them and that's despite their billion pound stadium.

I wouldn't worry too much about Spurs.

Offline EnfieldRed

• Main Stander
  • Where's the beef?
« Reply #559 on: February 12, 2020, 04:44:17 pm »
If Spurs fail to qualify for the UCL for a couple of seasons they could become unstuck financially. This season is really important for them. City, United and Chelsea can weather such storms, the rest will fall behind - FSG have done the right thing in not overspending.